• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Euro Event Thread [Update: GAF Impressions Inside]

Mideon

Since there are various events going on for the 3DS here in Euroland I thought it would be good to have a place for impressions and pics from said events.

I'm going to the Manchester event at 16:30 UK time so will post updates and pics then.

Everyone else let's see your pics and impressions!

Mideon

No you needed to sign up for tickets earlier in the week.

I know in the UK there are events for London and Manchester all day today and tomorrow.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Arnie said:
Shit I'm at Preston, where are the events and how do you get in, do you just turn up?
Damn, me too! Don't have the money for a last minute train ticket either.

PS. Pardon me for asking but are you a student in Preston? Just wondering.

Arnie

Thnikkaman said:
Damn, me too! Don't have the money for a last minute train ticket either.
Yea monies tight for me too, oh well, it looks like we had to sign up for tickets anyway.

Mideon

Kodiak said:
Should us USA-ers expect any new details or footage?

Not really we should hopefully just get a good collection of pics and impressions from a bunch of new people, since from what I can see quite alot of people are going.

Rekubot

I'm attending the Manchester event today. Catching the train in a couple of hours. I'll post some impressions when I get back.

Oxx

I'm going to the Bristol one next week.

I'm more interested to see the hardware than any of the software, to be honest. Unless Starfox is there.

orioto

Good Art™
I went to the Paris event, not happy about it...

But i was kinda septic in first place. I was hoping seeing the real thing would turn my excitation on but not really. The device is not really cohesive and well thought for me.

_3D is kinda cool when you're looking at it without playing. Not amazing and jaw dropping, but you're like "oh cool it's 3D". it makes some games seems bigger, giving more impact to the screen.

_The least little unfocusing on the screen, not only moving the 3ds but looking on the side, turning the head to talk to someone, will bring a 1-2 second blur desychronization for your eyes.

And more than just killing the magic, it's actually a big problem in some games. Like when using the gyro, in Steel Diver. You can turn with it, but let's be sure to stay at the exact same position, following your console or it will break the 3D. It could be seen as something normal for a submarine, but i guess it's worse in Monkey Ball. It seems the gyro was put in the thing at last minute if i understood the Iwata asks well... It's rather surprising as it's an obvious inconsistent choice..

More boring, for Street Fighter IV. Now, maybe i'm crazy and other people will have better impressions, but it wasn't 3D compatible for me. To put it simply, the directional pad is to low, and when trying to do manipulations, i was constantly breaking the 3D by slightly moving the screen. That and the 3D adds ZERO in this game. In fact, you notice it while looking passively at it, but when you're playing, and focused on the characters, you just forget it instantly. So in the end you'll put the slider on 2D i guess. Now the port is great in itself.

_In general, there is a big problem with focusing on characters. In pilot Wings, my eyes were quickly tired and confused cause you have this popping character and you're trying to focus on what's behind him. Games on 3DS should avoid to have a central popping out character in fps, racers and such. I think that's exactly what was referring this guy two week ago, about 3D in theater, explaining how our mind couldn't focus correctly on a 3D image.

_Another flaw in the concept is the touch part, for me again. NDS was a finely thought console, where everything was meant to add to the touch concept, and Nintendo is always bragging about thinking so much to everything in its product. But this time, when you realize 3D is some kind of fantasia they had for 20 years. They finally could do it, but it was after the NDS, and they couldn't abandon this big success's feature, so they merged everything... But clearly, i felt using the touch screen was not... a natural vibe let's say. Cause now that you have this more impact-full and .. different top screen, you lose this connection between the two and you just don't feel like focusing on the bottom screen. It's already a given that game design won't be using the touch screen the same way as you had two screens, which one of them was tactile, and you now have one main screen, and a tactile thing under it. That's a main difference. It actually breaks the DS concept partially.

And i want to add that's maybe the first time Nintendo actually downgrade a gameplay concept in their console, nice symbol. I just think 3D and NDS are two rather different concept, duck tapped together ;)

Now i guess, it will be a huge success and games will follow. 3D is still a nice boost to the game's graphics, making them more cool, as long as you don't have to focus on precise things. The only problem i could see with the sells is that, the store demos will play an important role in the success of the machine. If people can't be exactly in front of it, and for example, just look at it behind someone already playing (you know it will be lot of people), they will just think it's lame.

Wow, thats some great and well articulated impressions Orioto.

Maybe I really should cancel the preorder. Wait until the game library is there in full force. On the other hand I really doubt it is going to drop in price all that quickly.

orioto

Good Art™
PuppetSlave said:
Wow, thats some great and well articulated impressions Orioto.

Maybe I really should cancel the preorder. Wait until the game library is there in full force. On the other hand I really doubt it is going to drop in price all that quickly.

Oh oh, i don't want to be the guy who made you cancel your preorder ^^''
That's just my snobbish thought on the concept!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
orioto said:
_Another flaw in the concept is the touch part, for me again. NDS was a finely thought console, where everything was meant to add to the touch concept, and Nintendo is always bragging about thinking so much to everything in its product. But this time, when you realize 3D is some kind of fantasia they had for 20 years. They finally could do it, but it was after the NDS, and they couldn't abandon this big success's feature, so they merged everything... But clearly, i felt using the touch screen was not... a natural vibe let's say. Cause now that you have this more impact-full and .. different top screen, you lose this connection between the two and you just don't feel like focusing on the bottom screen. It's already a given that game design won't be using the touch screen the same way as you had two screens, which one of them was tactile, and you now have one main screen, and a tactile thing under it. That's a main difference. It actually breaks the DS concept partially

That's my impression as well. Thanks. I'd just temper that feeling by saying that we don't know what will become of the system until we see more games, especially Nintendo's new potential killer-app(s) (i.e. not Nintendogs or NSMB). I don't believe AR Games is such game even if Nintendo says so.

That said...

And i want to add that's maybe the first time Nintendo actually downgrade a gameplay concept in their console, nice symbol. I just think 3D and NDS are two rather different concept, duck tapped together ;)

I don't know, to me the N64 controller (and even the Gamecube controller) were always downgrades because the layout and/or shape were just horrible compared to any other Nintendo gamepad, from the NES to the Wii. Plus they both relegated the d-pad to a secondary role, much like the 3DS seems to do. But I get what you're saying anyway.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kilrogg said:
That's my impression as well. Thanks. I'd just temper that feeling by saying that we don't know what will become of the system until we see more games, especially Nintendo's new potential killer-app(s) (i.e. not Nintendogs or NSMB). I don't believe AR Games is such game even if Nintendo says so.

This is my big concern, that games that use the book mode or focus on the touch screen will be marginalised. Nintendo really should have made the two screens the same size, at least then the lack of 3D on the lower screen would be offset somewhat. Right now I don't really see any developers coming up with games where the main display is the touch screen.

orioto said:

But i was kinda septic in first place. I was hoping seeing the real thing would turn my excitation on but not really. The device is not really cohesive and well thought for me.

_3D is kinda cool when you're looking at it without playing. Not amazing and jaw dropping, but you're like "oh cool it's 3D". it makes some games seems bigger, giving more impact to the screen.

_The least little unfocusing on the screen, not only moving the 3ds but looking on the side, turning the head to talk to someone, will bring a 1-2 second blur desychronization for your eyes.

And more than just killing the magic, it's actually a big problem in some games. Like when using the gyro, in Steel Diver. You can turn with it, but let's be sure to stay at the exact same position, following your console or it will break the 3D. It could be seen as something normal for a submarine, but i guess it's worse in Monkey Ball. It seems the gyro was put in the thing at last minute if i understood the Iwata asks well... It's rather surprising as it's an obvious inconsistent choice..

More boring, for Street Fighter IV. Now, maybe i'm crazy and other people will have better impressions, but it wasn't 3D compatible for me. To put it simply, the directional pad is to low, and when trying to do manipulations, i was constantly breaking the 3D by slightly moving the screen. That and the 3D adds ZERO in this game. In fact, you notice it while looking passively at it, but when you're playing, and focused on the characters, you just forget it instantly. So in the end you'll put the slider on 2D i guess. Now the port is great in itself.

_In general, there is a big problem with focusing on characters. In pilot Wings, my eyes were quickly tired and confused cause you have this popping character and you're trying to focus on what's behind him. Games on 3DS should avoid to have a central popping out character in fps, racers and such. I think that's exactly what was referring this guy two week ago, about 3D in theater, explaining how our mind couldn't focus correctly on a 3D image.

_Another flaw in the concept is the touch part, for me again. NDS was a finely thought console, where everything was meant to add to the touch concept, and Nintendo is always bragging about thinking so much to everything in its product. But this time, when you realize 3D is some kind of fantasia they had for 20 years. They finally could do it, but it was after the NDS, and they couldn't abandon this big success's feature, so they merged everything... But clearly, i felt using the touch screen was not... a natural vibe let's say. Cause now that you have this more impact-full and .. different top screen, you lose this connection between the two and you just don't feel like focusing on the bottom screen. It's already a given that game design won't be using the touch screen the same way as you had two screens, which one of them was tactile, and you now have one main screen, and a tactile thing under it. That's a main difference. It actually breaks the DS concept partially.

Now i guess, it will be a huge success and games will follow. 3D is still a nice boost to the game's graphics, making them more cool, as long as you don't have to focus on precise things. The only problem i could see with the sells is that, the store demos will play an important role in the success of the machine. If people can't be exactly in front of it, and for example, just look at it behind someone already playing (you know it will be lot of people), they will just think it's lame.

Wow good post, you pretty much confirmed all my worries with the 3ds.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
orioto said:

Great impressions, which balances all the positive feebacks I keep reading on french sites. It seems 3DS will not be a feature all people will appreciate the same way.

moozoom

I also went to the paris event Yesterday, and my impressions are mixed... but it's what I expected. I won't be able to buy one at launch (no money), but some demos convinced me to get one later on...

The 3D effect : Very different from one game to another, and every person seems to have a different 3D perception even on the same game. Most of the games worked for me with the 3d slider on max, except when they try to put things outside the screen... which can be very awkward and detract from the game. ( This is the same for 3d movies )

Like Orioto said, if you change your viewing angle while using the gyro or augmented reality, it kills the 3d effect, and you have to refocus to get it back. On some games I found it wonderful and thought it enhanced the experience (Nintendogs, Animal crossing, Paper Mario) but on some other, my first reaction was to cut it ( DoA, Pilotwings, the augmented reality game)

Even when they presented the 3DS at E3, I knew that some games would use 3D poorly or as a gimmick (like touch controls) so I wasn't surprised by that.

The hardware: the 3DS looks nice, I liked the blue one better over the black, even if the metallic paint effect on the bottom lid is a bit on the "sparkly" side. I don't know if the final units will have that glitter effect, but I didn't mind. The system seemed light compared to my Dsi LL, and I absolutely loved the analog stick/nub and the buttons.

Some games I tried : I'm not a fighting game fan, so I was very surprised by Street fighter, and thought the 3D was really nice. I absolutely can't play Blazblue on xbox because I find the 3d backgrounds confusing with the sprites, and I'm afraid MVC3 will have the same effect on me... in SFIV 3DS the backgrounds are not a nuisance because they really are behind the characters, and that was a big plus for me. The graphics are really great and the overall presentation of the game is solid, it doesn't seem like a quick port.

Pilotwings is the only game that made my eyes itch until I turned the 3D almost off... I couldn't stand the plane/jetpack/glider sticking out of the screen, and I had an horrible ghosting effect on the sides of the screen. The games plays like you would expect, with little missions and trials to do. The island looks nice, and they seem to have added some landmarks to discover in a free-flight mode I tried. Not a game I would buy unless it's very cheap, quite disappointing for a first-party title.

Nintendogs and cats is very cute, and seems to use the camera in a clever way. The 3d effect works well, and seeing your dog turn his head on the side when you do it, is adorable. I found that scratching your dog silhouette on the bottom screen isn't very natural at first, but after a while you start to use it like a mouse (or like a wacom tablet) and you don't have to look at the bottom screen to interact with the animals. (must-buy for me because I loved the first games).

The two demos that impressed me the most were videos of Animal crossing and Paper Mario. The 3D adds a toy-like dimension to animal crossing, like seeing a doll-house coming to life, and the new graphics are great (not sold on the new "long" characters yet), hope the gameplay evolves too. Paper Mario is gorgeous in 3D, and the game seems to use it in fun way... the pop-up effect seems made for 3D. I love the animation and littles details in the backgrounds, and it looks less trippy than Super paper mario (which I didn't like that much.)

For those who went to the Paris event yesterday. Were you given a time limit to try out the 3DS? The fact that you have to book a certain 30 min slot has me worried, surely you aren't just limited to 30 mins with the machine?

thuway

orioto said:

Fuck...

orioto

Good Art™
Nuclear Muffin said:
For those who went to the Paris event yesterday. Were you given a time limit to try out the 3DS? The fact that you have to book a certain 30 min slot has me worried, surely you aren't just limited to 30 mins with the machine?

We had 1h30 to test it, plenty of time.

orioto said:
We had 1h30 to test it, plenty of time.

Cool stuff. I had a feeling that it was just me being stupid :D (glad to know I'm wrong!)

I'll be sure to come back with impressions later on! I'll see if I can get some comparison shots with my DSi or DSi XL next to the 3DS as well!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Great impressions Orioto. But I think you focus too much on the 3D. It's an important KSP of the device, but not the only one. The simple fact that this is the next handheld from Nintendo is enough for me. 3D is a bonus.

And i'm sure after the initial rush to cram 3D into every game, we'll get back to a degree of balance, with some touch focused games, or book mode.

Worrying about pilot wings, which is my most wanted launch game. I understand what you mean having things sticking out of the screen being fatiguing (I have a 3DTV at home), but had faith in Nintendo to tune their games properly and use 3D to immerse and not to poke you in the face. This will improve over time as lessons are learnt about what works and what doesn't.

Interesting that they had animal crossing and paper Marion there. How complete did they feel?

orioto

Good Art™
mrklaw said:
Great impressions Orioto. But I think you focus too much on the 3D. It's an important KSP of the device, but not the only one. The simple fact that this is the next handheld from Nintendo is enough for me. 3D is a bonus.

Obviously yes, i focused on what was new. As i said it won't stop the machine to have good games :)

I'm just disappointed by the fact that Nintendo seems to be a little lost sometimes. Everyone thinks NDS and WII are the sign of Nintendo being so smart and great, but not really. Most of the time they just don't really know.

Really great impressions Orioto! Its nice to have some honest opinions on the functionality of the console without the usual hype. Do you believe most of your qualms about the 3D would be alleviated had you moved the slider down a bit and made the effect less intense?

demonkaze

I'm considering heading to the London one today (have my ticket) but I was curious if anyone knew what games were playable there? Is it just the launch ones or are things like resi evil playable?

BowieZ

Banned
orioto said:
I'm just disappointed by the fact that Nintendo seems to be a little lost sometimes. Everyone thinks NDS and WII are the sign of Nintendo being so smart and great, but not really. Most of the time they just don't really know.
Not that you ought to have a better idea than Nintendo, but what do you think Nintendo should have done, design/concept-wise? I suppose abandon the bottom touch screen altogether? Juste curieux!

I don't really feel that Nintendo or 3rd parties have abandoned the touch screen really. Most of the launch titles seem to use it in clever ways (even SSF3DS and DOA use it well!)

Certainly the potential for it to be abandoned is there, but I'm not personally seeing it yet. I just think that a lot of us here are having a "sky is falling" mentality about the touch screen at the moment and are ignoring the games that are actually taking advantage of it.

As for the book mode issue, there already is a game that supports book mode (Love Plus 3DS) and there are games that don't even support 3D at all (Pacman Tilt). If anything, there's a good variety of games that use the 3DS functions in lots of different ways!

orioto

Good Art™
abstract alien said:
Really great impressions Orioto! Its nice to have some honest opinions on the functionality of the console without the usual hype. Do you believe most of your qualms about the 3D would be alleviated had you moved the slider down a bit and made the effect less intense?

Well... Maybe. I actually lowered it in Pilot Wings and some other games. But i don't know, in the end you use it or not i guess... If you want 3D, you want it really, and it's a problem well you don't use it...

BowieZ said:
Not that you ought to have a better idea than Nintendo, but what do you think Nintendo should have done, design/concept-wise? I suppose abandon the bottom touch screen altogether? Juste curieux!

I always thought Nintendo was at some point in their life where they hadn't any obvious choice. In the past recent years, they could play the smart ass by using innovative technology when the other guys were too shy to try. Now, everybody know the trick, and it's not like Nintendo has some secret tech that other constructor don't know... So they went for a potentially smart gimmick but clearly, they're a little lost.

Sony is a little to. They basically put everything in their console just in case.

I think there was a spot for a great classical console with awesome (but not overkill) graphics, realistic features, good battery life, not to expansive and great games. None of the two contestant decided for that... I would almost think a third guy could use it at its own advantage.

Kafel

Banned
Noone had little headaches ? I've read impressions from two other persons in another forum and they had those.

It seems wearing glasses can be a reason to get them.

Manmedaz

I was at the event in Paris last week and was able to take so very close shots of the blue lagon 3DS, for those of you who are interested. Here's a sample (there's about 40 pictures at the link, here >>> http://www.nintendo-difference.com/news21919--exclu-seance-photo-sexy-avec-la-3ds.htm).

3.jpg

15.jpg

38.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If Pilotwings doesn't prove the 3D effect then that would really raise question marks for me.

I really want to see one, one minute you read the 3D effect is jaw-dropping the next it's causing problems. This is all very Kinect.

Manmedaz

Nop, no GR, no playable Monkey Ball, Rayman 3D, Splinter Cell... That being said, Jame Noir's Hollywood Crimes was playable.

Manmedaz said:
Nop, no GR, no playable Monkey Ball, Rayman 3D, Splinter Cell... That being said, Jame Noir's Hollywood Crimes was playable.

Thats a pity, gets tiring to see the same games even if people have different impressions of course.

caligula13

Gold Member
DECK'ARD said:
If Pilotwings doesn't prove the 3D effect then that would really raise question marks for me.

I really want to see one, one minute you read the 3D effect is jaw-dropping the next it's causing problems. This is all very Kinect.

i haven't played Pilotwings and i haven't seen the 3DS in person but having a 3D TV at home I have learned one thing: don't trust other people when they talk about 3D. the 3D experience varies from person to person. i have witnessed people say that the movie that i like the most (with 3D) is the worst 3D movie.

15.jpg

What the? What a strange looking hinge! I can see what they meant in that Iwata Asks when they were talking about how challenging the hinge design was! I've never seen a hinge quite like that before!

Manmedaz

DECK'ARD said:

Well, I had the problem some described about Pilotwings, but with Kid Icarus. Game is really beautiful but too fast, and it is thus difficult to "see" and to focus your eyes once and for all, especially when you're up in the sky (same configuration that PW) since you have Pit really near and the rest that's quite far. You focus your eyes on the background, but by doing so you don't see Pit, and then you want to check where he is, you have to focus on him, but can't really see the enemies coming at you. Maybe it is intended, maybe you need to get used to it, but it is quite strange to experience. The best way for such things I think will be the 1st person view, as you just have to care about where are the enemies to shoot, and you are already conscious about where you are without having to check your character.

I think 3D is really suited when everything is about equally as far and/or no object are too close from the camera (that's what makes some games' 3D "work"). As soon as something stands out by being too close, you have to focus each time you're moving your eyes from the close subject to the background and vice-versa, and that's when people think the 3D doesn't "work". Well to me it is a normal thing, and I think that developer should avoid using close objects except if they want the player to focus on it and to emphasize this object.

orioto

Good Art™
Manmedaz said:
Well, I had the problem some described about Pilotwings, but with Kid Icarus. Game is really beautiful but too fast, and it is thus difficult to "see" and to focus your eyes once and for all, especially when you're up in the sky (same configuration that PW) since you have Pit really near and the rest that's quite far. You focus your eyes on the background, but by doing so you don't see Pit, and then you want to check where he is, you have to focus on him, but can't really see the enemies coming at you. Maybe it is intended, maybe you need to get used to it, but it is quite strange to experience. The best way for such things I think will be the 1st person view, as you just have to care about where are the enemies to shoot, and you are already conscious about where you are without having to check your character.

I think 3D is really suited when everything is about equally as far and/or no object are too close from the camera (that's what makes some games' 3D "work"). As soon as something stands out by being too close, you have to focus each time you're moving your eyes from the close subject to the background and vice-versa, and that's when people think the 3D doesn't "work". Well to me it is a normal thing, and I think that developer should avoid using close objects except if they want the player to focus on it and to emphasize this object.

exactly.
For me Kid Icarus didn't have this kind of problem cause the character is not in the middle of the screen so you're always focused on the background. My problem would be more about the control scheme on ground...

Manmedaz

Nuclear Muffin said:
15.jpg

What the? What a strange looking hinge! I can see what they meant in that Iwata Asks when they were talking about how challenging the hinge design was! I've never seen a hinge quite like that before!

Yes, I love the hinge's new design, it feels really nice to stroke it :p. BTW, there's the same kind of flat surface on the central hinge, I don't know if it is obvious on my pictures. Also, you still have two positions, the one you see on the picture, and the fully opened one.

Manmedaz said:
Yes, I love the hinge's new design, it feels really nice to stroke it :p. BTW, there's the same kind of flat surface on the central hinge, I don't know if it is obvious on my pictures. Also, you still have two positions, the one you see on the picture, and the fully opened one.

Aww, so no 3rd position 145 degree angle like on the XL? Then again, I suppose that wouldn't be very useful with the 3D I guess.

BowieZ

Banned
orioto said:
I always thought Nintendo was at some point in their life where they hadn't any obvious choice. In the past recent years, they could play the smart ass by using innovative technology when the other guys were too shy to try. Now, everybody know the trick, and it's not like Nintendo has some secret tech that other constructor don't know... So they went for a potentially smart gimmick but clearly, they're a little lost.

Sony is a little to. They basically put everything in their console just in case.

I think there was a spot for a great classical console with awesome (but not overkill) graphics, realistic features, good battery life, not to expansive and great games. None of the two contestant decided for that... I would almost think a third guy could use it at its own advantage.
Ahh okay. Well, so you think the 3D is a mistake? That their 'gimmick' this time should have been no gimmick at all, because any such gimmick would compromise gameplay?

Top Bottom