• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Euro Event Thread [Update: GAF Impressions Inside]

jett said:
Most DS games run at 60fps, don't they? Especially Nintendo's titles. Ditto for their Wii library.

Many DS titles are 2D; and if they are 3D the developers just accept that games are going to look shit no matter what due to N64-level hardware limitations, so they just go for 60fps instead.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Coming back from the London event now. Kid Icarus is not left-handed friendly at all, and the lady said they had complaints about that a lot, so they said that would be reported back to Nintendo (pfffffthahahaha) it's a shame as it looks awesome.

I had some issues with the 3D effect breaking by slight tilts of my head to keep it straight - I think it's going to be kind of an issue after a while, though at the event I adjusted myself to it easily enough.

Steel Diver was pretty fun, got a kick out of turning the whole 3DS around to shoot missiles. My real jawdropping moment was going under the surface and seeing the ships float down into the murky depths below. I LOVED the AR game I got to play (shooting targets on the table), and Street Fighter 4 was fun. I can actually pull Shoryukens really easily with the Slide Pad thingum. The lower framerate was a bit pants though; hopefully it's not final.

Only devastating moments were missing out on Ocarina of Time and being lied to about free Red Bull. Cocks. :mad:

SovanJedi said:
Coming back from the London event now. Kid Icarus is not left-handed friendly at all, and the lady said they had complaints about that a lot, so they said that would be reported back to Nintendo (pfffffthahahaha) it's a shame as it looks awesome.
I see...
211725877_b6f6c7a42b.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SovanJedi said:
Steel Diver was pretty fun, got a kick out of turning the whole 3DS around to shoot missiles. My real jawdropping moment was going under the surface and seeing the ships float down into the murky depths below. I LOVED the AR game I got to play (shooting targets on the table), and Street Fighter 4 was fun. I can actually pull Shoryukens really easily with the Slide Pad thingum. The lower framerate was a bit pants though; hopefully it's not final.

Another report of low framerate? This has to be an early version. Hasn't it been confirmed at 60 FPS?

BlueMagic

So:

-Low framerate for SFIV
-Bad DS playback
-Mixed opinions on the 3D

From Day 1 to Day 1 of the 3DSLite/Day 1 of OoT3D.

Manmedaz

rpmurphy said:
Is there any way to change brightness on the fly like on DSi?

Yep, press Home button, game go in pause and the home menu appears over it (a very nice graphical effect, by the way), go in the options and change the brightness setting on the fly, then go back to the game.

Mrbob

I wonder if the 3DSLite will have an improved viewing angle for 3D. But how do you make this device "Lite"? 3DS already looks like a DSLite.

Also, regarding DS games look blurry on 3DS...is it possible the 3D slider was turned slightly up? Maybe this lead to some of the blurriness? Otherwise that sucks if DS games look blurry. I don't have a huge DS collection (around 12 games) but I wouldn't mind being able to retire the DS Lite I have.

Manmedaz

Plinko said:
Another report of low framerate? This has to be an early version. Hasn't it been confirmed at 60 FPS?

I really don't recall SSF4 being 30 fps when I played it (Paris' event), so I guess it's about the version of the game, even if it's strange...

BlueMagic

Manmedaz said:
I really don't recall SSF4 being 30 fps when I played it (Paris' event), so I guess it's about the version of the game, even if it's strange...

Did you play it with 3D on? Maybe 3D gives the effect of 30 fps.

Manmedaz

BlueMagic said:
Did you play it with 3D on? Maybe 3D gives the effect of 30 fps.

I tried both, and I'm 100% positive that, contrary to DoA, there was *no* difference of framerate when switching between 2D and 3D.

Rich!

Gah. Had the chance of going to the London event, but had no one available to cover me at work.

Ah well. It's only a month away. And I'll get to play it before launch soon enough anyway.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I did flick between 2D and 3D when playing Street Fighter 4 to make sure it wasn't just my eyes playing tricks on me. It certainly doesn't feel as smooth as the console version. Again, hoping it's just an unoptemised build.

Nintendogs + cats was great too. I had the biggest smile on my face when I was just scratching the kitteh's chin and belly and poking his paws. Reminds me of my parents two cats from years back. I might actually have to get that at launch too now.

Oh, the Street Fighter live performance at the beginning was embarrassing, but not nearly as bad as the run-through-a-dark-room-with-people-wrestling-on-the-floor atrocity that was the Resident Evil section immediately after. At least Claire Redfield was cute, as was the press event girl following behind the group with me.

M3d10n

Nuclear Muffin said:
Not necessarily. It at least recognises the Circle Pad as a D-pad. You can still open up the menu so it's not quite like the Wii's GCN BC. It's more like the PS3's PS1 and PS2 playback.
Yeah. After having low-level BC bite them in the ass twice (the Wii was first hacked by running GameCube code, and the DSi can be fooled into playing pirated DS games by a flash cart pretending to be a DS game), seems Nintendo finally learned and is doing high-level BC instead. Scaling, opening a menu over the game and using the slide pad would not be possible if the 3DS "reverted" into a true low-level DS mode.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh, speaking of debug screens I managed to crash a console and get into the debug screen (the very first one I got my hands on lol)

You couldn't really do much, you had the choice of loading from the card slot or the SD card. Strangely enough, the debug menu only mentioned the system as having 64MB of RAM, which is odd since the production models have 96MB (the one that was stolen is an EU version).

The ones at the event (in the first area) all said that they were prototype models on the back (that's the one that crashed for me) and were unable to load up the 3DS menu. The other ones in the 2nd area seemed to be final models as they were running the retail OS.

If I had to hazard a guess, the final system has 64MB of RAM available to games, with 32MB reserved for the OS.
That pretty much confirms the 64MB+32MB setup. Since the crash happened after the game was booted, it's likely that games can only access/view the 64MBs and are unaware of the 32MB reserved for the OS. That leaked production unit had no firmware whatsoever, so the debug menu could "see" the entire memory. If so, this is another sign of good security: game code runs with lower permissions than the OS code.

Mrbob said:
I wonder if the 3DSLite will have an improved viewing angle for 3D. But how do you make this device "Lite"? 3DS already looks like a DSLite..
They can definitely improve the 3D screen in future revisions, just like they improved backlight in the various GBA revisions. But since the 3DS is already Lite-sized, I believe the first revision will be a "XL", not a "Lite".

Mrbob said:
Also, regarding DS games look blurry on 3DS...is it possible the 3D slider was turned slightly up? Maybe this lead to some of the blurriness? Otherwise that sucks if DS games look blurry. I don't have a huge DS collection (around 12 games) but I wouldn't mind being able to retire the DS Lite I have.
Did you read the posts about it? It has nothing to do with 3D: stretching an 256x192 image to 320x240 will make it slightly blurry, since the pixels won't line up and need some interpolation. This is no different than running PSOne games on the PSP with stretching enabled (1.13x increase).

Man

M3d10n said:
They can definitely improve the 3D screen in future revisions, just like they improved backlight in the various GBA revisions. But since the 3DS is already Lite-sized, I believe the first revision will be a "XL", not a "Lite".
Improvements in glassless 3D is scarce though. Technologies which aren't parallax are super expensive (tracking pupils etc), non practical and only in a research lab and won't happen in the 3DS lifetime.
Future revisions of 3DS is almost assured to stay with parallax and the pros/cons of that.

swerve

That Brown Guy said:
I wasn't completely blown away by it. Had more fun on the amusingly titled Face Raiders as wrong as that sounds. Also, not sure if this has been posted but here's a Live Action fight between Ryu and Ken from the event in London:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdMe6IWKEUM

From the comments (and my imagination), I was expecting far more lame than that.

But still smh.

There is something great about 3DS threads at the moment. They make me feel all sceptical and unsure if I want one. And that is just like I was with the original DS.

So I'm stuck in some no-win situation where when I'm hyped, I'm hyped, and when I'm de-hyped, it reminds me of how de-hyped I was before DS turned out to be the best game system ever.

KAL2006 said:
This is quite lame, Nintendo should have at least doubled the resolution, so it wouln't look as bad, I think the PSP2 is exactly doubling the resolution from PSP, so PSP games don't look bad.
I'm sure their resolution decision was based on 3DS and the selection of 3D screens, with backwards compatibility being an afterthought. GB to GBA and GBA to DS were nowhere near even increases, and the jump from DS to 3DS resolution is actually far more than those previous transitions. However, no previous backwards compatibility forced one to play in stretched mode, either, so it could appear more jarring in this case if it truly is forced.
Nuclear Muffin said:
DS games - How I worked my magic despite the card slots all being locked.

Sneaky Metal Gear Solid style shenanigans with DS download play via a hidden DS ;)
So awesome.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
I recall hearing multiple times that it was 60fps 3D or 2D.

It was pointed out in contrast to DOA.
I played them both and from what I've seen
SSFIV 2D:
2D - 30 FPS / 3D - 30FPS

DOAD:
2D - 60 FPS / 3D - 30FPS

DOAD 2D ran smooth as butter everything else not so much.

SovanJedi said:

Nintendo is usually quite interested in getting feedback like this. I remember every rep at a screening last year having little notebooks where they wrote things people liked and didn't like. Some even handed you the book and asked if you could write what you thought.

Teknoman

So the top screen isnt as tall as the DSi's screens? Also how do the DS games look bad if they arent stretched?

[Nintex] said:
I played them both and from what I've seen
SSFIV 2D:
2D - 30 FPS / 3D - 30FPS

DOAD:
2D - 60 FPS / 3D - 30FPS

DOAD 2D ran smooth as butter everything else not so much.

Wasnt there a direct feed video that shows SSFIV at 60?

[Nintex]

Teknoman said:
So the top screen isnt as tall as the DSi's screens? Also how do the DS games look bad if they arent stretched?

Wasnt there a direct feed video that shows SSFIV at 60?
I can only go from what I've played and the SSFIV demo certainly wasn't 60 fps, they could fix this for launch but I'm not convinced yet.

Teknoman

[Nintex] said:
I can only go from what I've played and the SSFIV demo certainly wasn't 60 fps, they could fix this for launch but I'm not convinced yet.

Hopefully it was just some old build (not sure why a current event would feature an older build than past events) because Street Fighter at 30 would just seem strange.

Soul Edge/Calibur on the other hand...maybe not...since the first Soul Edge looked to run at 30.

Teknoman said:
So the top screen isnt as tall as the DSi's screens?
Nope. Both screens should be just a hair taller than the DS/DSL screens, though with the added width the top screen should have greater area than DSi's screens.

FoxHimself said:
Nintendo is usually quite interested in getting feedback like this. I remember every rep at a screening last year having little notebooks where they wrote things people liked and didn't like. Some even handed you the book and asked if you could write what you thought.
I'm expecting some sort of web survey later actually (I really hope to but to be honest anything wrong can't really be acted on as its too late, its in production) as I didn't really have an opportunity to give feedback at Manchester. I did have assistants ask if I was having fun but thats kind of it in a way I sort of prefer the hands-off experience to having someone watching behind your shoulder.

Teknoman said:
Hopefully it was just some old build (not sure why a current event would feature an older build than past events)
If Nintendogs was in Japanese (as one person claimed, I didn't get to try as those machines got busy, karma for Kid Icarus I guess) anything could happen if you ask me. But I agree, still odd.

Starwolf_UK said:
(I really hope to but to be honest anything wrong can't really be acted on as its too late, its in production)
Not too late for Kid Icarus at all, the game isn't coming out until sometime after June, plenty of time to add more options for left-handers (like controlling motions with the face buttons). As for other games, it might be too late for the Japanese launch, but there's still some time for the US and EU launch, being almost two months away.

FoxHimself said:
I can't see them doing anything about this one though. The only proper solution at this point would be to release a 3DS for left handed people, but that's not going to happen.

They could go with the worse option, and make it so that you could move with the face buttons instead of the analog nub; which might be a possibility considering that the game isn't going to be released soon. It would be better than nothing I guess.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
FoxHimself said:
Then that mean Nuclear Muffin screwed up by not complaining there was no option to make DS games display 1:1!

Hope it can be patched. Would be a bit funny if the 3D slider was the key though, like how pushing the shoulder buttons on a GBA made a Gameboy game go from 1:1 to fullscreen.

If I had to hazard a guess, the final system has 64MB of RAM available to games, with 32MB reserved for the OS.
Or Nintendo decided to add 32MB of Ram to the system near the final stages of production ether do to a bunch of 3rd party complaints or Miyamoto making a vague comment about the difficulty to making a large 3D world

Teknoman

JoshuaJSlone said:
Nope. Both screens should be just a hair taller than the DS/DSL screens, though with the added width the top screen should have greater area than DSi's screens.

Would be nice if Nintendo put out videos showing DS/DSiware compatibility then.

BooJoh

I don't know if they had any VC on display, but I'm guessing it's safe to assume GB/C games won't have an unscaled option either?

I realize that would be nearly half the size of the screen, but I'm guessing the DPI on the screens isn't too vastly different from GBm and that was fine for me.

KAL2006

Banned
Too much negative shit on 3DS lately has put me off 3DS. I will of course buy it at some point as I love Mario, Pokemon and Metroid.

The combination of a lacking line up of games, shitty upscaled backwards compatibility, mixed opinions of how good the 3D looks, 30fps for quite a few games, lame battery life and high price tag has me put off. It doesn't help that the NGP looks like a nice bit of hardware.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
KAL2006 said:
Too much negative shit on 3DS lately has put me off 3DS. I will of course buy it at some point as I love Mario, Pokemon and Metroid.

The combination of a lacking line up of games, shitty upscaled backwards compatibility, mixed opinions of how good the 3D looks, 30fps for quite a few games, lame battery life and high price tag has me put off. It doesn't help that the NGP looks like a nice bit of hardware.

Who are you talking to?

KAL2006 said:

Now now, nobody has said anything about "shitty upscaled backwards compatibility". What was said was it's slightly blurry, looking like PS2 games run on PS3 with the smoothing filter on. And 30fps for "quite a few games"? Your mind must be interpreting all the different talk of SSFIV into multiple games (which was discussed a lot because every time it's been shown it's been at 60fps in both 2D and 3D until now).

And anyways, 30fps isn't a big thing, it's never been. Most video games for most systems are and have always been 30fps. By running at that speed developers can have almost twice as much detail and effects. And if you don't like 30fps, better stay away from the NGP - most of the demo's they've shown so far run at 30fps or less (mainly because most of what they've shown so far are games using full PS3 assets).

Plinko

Dreamwriter said:
Now now, nobody has said anything about "shitty upscaled backwards compatibility". What was said was it's slightly blurry, looking like PS2 games run on PS3 with the smoothing filter on. And 30fps for "quite a few games"? Your mind must be interpreting all the different talk of SSFIV into multiple games (which was discussed a lot because every time it's been shown it's been at 60fps in both 2D and 3D until now).

And anyways, 30fps isn't a big thing, it's never been. Most video games for most systems are and have always been 30fps. By running at that speed developers can have almost twice as much detail and effects. And if you don't like 30fps, better stay away from the NGP - most of the demo's they've shown so far run at 30fps or less (mainly because most of what they've shown so far are games using full PS3 assets).

Don't bother with him--he's been a stealth troll since the beginning. I'm more interested in the NGP and even I'm getting irritated by the 3DS trolling he's been doing in both threads.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I don't get the constant need to defend and sugarcoat. I'm glad there are those out there giving honest opinions. More, please!

Plinko

Mutagenic said:
I don't get the constant need to defend and sugarcoat. I'm glad there are those out there giving honest opinions. More, please!

There shouldn't be any sugarcoating or defending--this thread has been great for that. I just want the trolls out of the thread.

KAL2006

Banned
Plinko said:
Don't bother with him--he's been a stealth troll since the beginning. I'm more interested in the NGP and even I'm getting irritated by the 3DS trolling he's been doing in both threads.

hey I'm not trolling, I'm just discussing my options of if I should get the 3DS, it's just there haven't been any positive news since the initial 3DS announcement at E3. Anyway I hope Nintendo announce Mario 3DS soon, that would get me back to a positive mood for the 3DS. I also wished Pokemon 3DS was coming soon. I will skip Black/White and wait for the next 3DS pokemon.

KAL2006 said:
hey I'm not trolling, I'm just discussing my options of if I should get the 3DS, it's just there haven't been any positive news since the initial 3DS announcement at E3. Anyway I hope Nintendo announce Mario 3DS soon, that would get me back to a positive mood for the 3DS. I also wished Pokemon 3DS was coming soon. I will skip Black/White and wait for the next 3DS pokemon.

Sorry... what?

Nuclear Muffin said:
RE Mercenaries - Enemy limit:

It still felt like Mercenaries mode and was still good fun. That being said, the trailer shows greater enemy numbers and the demo is still very early (unchanged from before and it still has a while to go before release) so I wouldn't really worry about it yet.

Sounds good to me! Thanks for clearing that up!

Teknoman

Still getting it day one, since at times i've seen complaints on GAF about things like full screen stretching, filters (playing PS1 or PS2 titles on PS3), and even the DSiXL screens...alot of them either being overblown or something that really isnt all that detrimental to gameplay unless you're actively looking for it. I cant see Nintendo making a decision that would make DS titles actually look worse on the 3DS.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
KAL2006 said:

Mario 3DS is coming, so is Pokemon 3DS - even if they were 'announced' you still wouldn't be seeing anything about them for a couple of years.

Teknoman

Why skip Black and White? A 100% 3DS Pokemon game is most likely a long way off, and its a pretty big improvement over the older titles.

KAL2006 said:
I'm not going to answer that since I will be going off topic

Well there was the fact that the 3DS is actually going to have (or seems like it will have) a decent online system with friend lists, the ability to transfer DSiware over to the 3DS and the announcement of a portable virtual console. Battery power being varied depending on the settings should've been obvious, other than that...what has been negative?

SSFIV might not be 30fps at launch in 3d mode with all the mixed reports from various events, and most games either always display at 30 or 60 aside from Dead or Alive.

branny

AndyMoogle said:
I can't see them doing anything about this one though. The only proper solution at this point would be to release a 3DS for left handed people, but that's not going to happen.

They could go with the worse option, and make it so that you could move with the face buttons instead of the analog nub; which might be a possibility considering that the game isn't going to be released soon. It would be better than nothing I guess.

Would a lefty 3DS really be solving anything, though?

It's reminding me of the dilemma I have with most Wii games. Do I either force myself to awkwardly use my less proficient hand for waggling and pointing in addition to everything else mapped to the Wiimote, or try to unlearn years of using an analog stick/d-pad with my left hand, switching the nunchuck to the opposite hand in order to alleviate the Wiimote problem?

To this day, I still haven't bought Star Successor (even though I want to) because the optimal control scheme utilizes the Wiimote/nunchuck combination. Mario Galaxy remains a horribly unpleasant experience. My longest Twilight Princess file is about an hour total. And Metroid Prime 3? ...Yeah. Even games like the first Raving Rabbids refuse to work properly with switched hands in some minigames. Now this isn't a matter of being unable to force myself to do it as a righty--I can adapt just like with everything else. It is, however, a continuously unpleasant struggle that detracts from the experience. It never feels natural or intuitive. It feels wrong. It becomes something I don't want to even bother with. Congrats to lefties who don't have these problems (like Miyamoto, apparently), but I'm not one of them.

It was already bad enough having to deal with face buttons as a poor d-pad substitute in some DS games. Now we have access to a much smoother analog slider on a more powerful system. We're sure to see more complicated games with 3D character models and analog movement (like Kid Icarus) which will just make matters worse for the already inferior face button alternative.

Kinosen

Neo Member
Dreamwriter said:

Far and away, the best-selling games on the Wii, both core and casual, run at 60 fps. Wii Sports, Resort, New Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and so on. It may not be something that most consumers are able to articulate, but 60 fps contributes to the fluidity and responsiveness of gameplay that has helped make a lot of these games successful.

VOOK

Kinosen said:
Far and away, the best-selling games on the Wii, both core and casual, run at 60 fps. Wii Sports, Resort, New Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and so on. It may not be something that most consumers are able to articulate, but 60 fps contributes to the fluidity and responsiveness of gameplay that has helped make a lot of these games successful.

60fps has nothing to do why these games are successful.

Teknoman

With all the left handed complaints, i'm curious:

Is it hard for you guys/girls to use past console controllers/ dual analog controllers as well? Never really thought about it, but after reading all the thoughts about Kid Icarus Uprising's control scheme, i'd like to know if this has been a long time problem for lefty gamers.

VOOK

Teknoman said:
With all the left handed complaints, i'm curious:

Is it hard for you guys/girls to use past console controllers/ dual analog controllers as well? Never really thought about it, but after reading all the thoughts about Kid Icarus Uprising's control scheme, i'd like to know if this has been a long time problem for lefty gamers.

For me no, but the whole 'holding a stylus' thing pretty much fucks things up.

Some left handed people though are just pure crazy and can't do anything normal :p

Top Bottom