• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS had an amazing 2013

Blues1990

The Nintendo 3DS had an excellent release of fantastic games, both for retail & digital. 2014 is shaping up to continue that trend, but the only game that I think shouldn't exist is the upcoming Yoshi's Island 'sequel.' (Seriously, am I the only one who thinks it's weird they can't get the SNES classic on the Virtual Console, but are more than happy to make a bunch of lesser knock-offs?

So you missed all the games on the op + more? Damn son; get your priorities right :p
The only one I have any interest in is Zelda and even that will have to wait until reviews because phantom hourglass burned be pretty bad. Kid Icarus, Layton, and Nintendogs are the only games I own for the 3DS. I played through 3D Land on a friend's cart and thought it was pretty good, but I don't have any interest in Pokemon or Animal Crossing.

BearChair

This has really been a year of great RPGs on the 3DS.

Atlus alone had EOIV, Soul Hackers, SMTIV, and EO:MG. With the Sega buyout, it might be its swan song, but it went out of a high note.

Add in things like the Mario RPG, Monster Hunter and Denpa Men 2. Its been a great year. I kind of doubt that next year could be much better, other than Bravely Default, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Majestad

Banned
The only one I have any interest in is Zelda and even that will have to wait until reviews because phantom hourglass burned be pretty bad. Kid Icarus, Layton, and Nintendogs are the only games I own for the 3DS. I played through 3D Land on a friend's cart and thought it was pretty good, but I don't have any interest in Pokemon or Animal Crossing.

You really have no interest in Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, SMTIV, Steamworld Dig, Phoenix Wright, etc.?

So much variety, maybe something you think you wouldn't like is something that you'll end up loving if you try it.

Monster Hunter is the same. I mean, I've played the WiiU version but in the end I'm not really sure the online mode was worth the 400 bucks.
Sonic might be different, but consensus seems pretty clear that it isn't exactly a good game contributing to a ,,respectable year''. Sure, there will be defenders, I also stood up for Secret Rings back in the day, but it's clear that it just isn't a great title.

Now compare to the 3DS. Or a good Wii year like 2007/10. Admittedly, Lego City I haven't played but it seems pretty cool. But straight after that came another quarter of emtpiness until Pikmin/W101 in summer.(And the former should have been a launch title) Since then, another drought until a half baked Mario comes that pales in comparison to Galaxy.

You're still doing this?

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger and HarmoKnight.

Dangit, I knew I forgot something during my Eshop binge.

So far I've only played animal crossing, Pokemon X as far as retail releases go, and Gunman Clive, pushmo, and crashmo for eshop titles, though I don't really know their release dates. I only got the system a couple months ago.

I really love it and there are more titles out already than I can afford to play.

Blues1990

You just can't let this nonsense go, can you?
A man is entitled to his opinion, but another is entitled to disagree.

If you ask me, no one should be getting upset with this guy's opinion. If he thinks the Wii U is a horrible piece of crap, and all of the Mario games (post-Sunshine) are abominations, then it's cool.

Just keeping track of what I've actually bought this year...

Splash or Crash
Harmoknight
Luigi's Mansion 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Zelda: Seasons
Zelda: Ages
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Shantae
SteamWorld Dig
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo
Pokemon Y
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

And Zelda still to come. And I still need to find some money for Donkey Kong 3D and Mario & Luigi 4. Damn.
A man is entitled to his opinion, but another is entitled to disagree.

If you ask me, no one should be getting upset with this guy's opinion. If he thinks the Wii U is a horrible piece of crap, and all of the Mario games (post-Sunshine) are abominations, then it's cool.

If this were the case, GAF would be a far more boring place :)

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I totally agree, fantastix year for the 3DS. Only weird one in OPs list is Mario Party. What the hell? Who wants to play a Mario Party game alone on a small screen? Online play will simply not do it.

The franchise would be perfect for the Wii U. But all we get there is bland Mii party games. Why?

Sendou

I totally agree, fantastix year for the 3DS. Only weird one in OPs list is Mario Party. What the hell? Who wants to play a Mario Party game alone on a small screen? Online play will simply not do it.

The franchise would be perfect for the Wii U. But all we get there is bland Mii party games. Why?

I think Mario Party DS did fairly well so there's definitely an audience. No need to worry about the lack of a Wii U version either. I'm sure they'll make one.

DigitalOp

Banned
I bought a 3DS XL only for Pokémon and I've enjoyed it tremendously despite the downgrades from Vita.

Im planning to go dig into its library whenever I get spare cash. My next instabuy is Smash 3DS, so glad its finally portable. That's amazing when you think about it.

mdsfx

Are there more first-party titles on 3DS than on Wii U? Also, I had no idea there was a Luigi's mansion for 3DS!!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

The Miis aren't bland if you model them after friends and celebs. Which was the point of the Miis in the first place.

Wii Party U is a great game. It's much faster and the Mario tropes aren't for every body in the real world.

Are there more first-party titles on 3DS than on Wii U?

Yeah, quality ones anyway. The OP merely shows a fraction of it. With the 3DS struggling at first, they probably went overboard with putting resources on the 3DS, it easily beats the original DS already (which rather shined through 3rd party games)

Darryl

Banned

During the Wii era they saw how they didn't need to release multiple Mario Party games since the first one would just keep selling forever and they could make more money separating it off into two franchises so they created Wii Party. They took advantage of how big the Wii install base was and released a second Mario Party as one of the swan songs for the console. It just came out not too long ago. I'm sure another will be out soon after enough time has passed. Mario Party is an insanely lucrative franchise and it coming to the Wii U seems inevitable.

Besides, Miis are pretty boss. Just play around with them a bit and they'll grow on you.

It's undoubtedly been a phenomenal year for the 3DS, which is why I'm very excited to be picking up a black XL model in the next week or so.

As it happens, the first game I will purchase though will be a 2011 game: 3D Mario Land, which I've been waiting a very long time to play! I've also got SF4, Ghost Recon, and Shinobi already, so there's plenty to keep me going before I try and catch up on this year!

Sandfox

Mario Party 3DS is going to be a million seller at worst.

What's really exciting is that next year holds SO much possibilities. I can't wait for the next few Nintendo Directs that announce all the amazing 3DS games we don't know about yet. It's crazy to think they announce all these games like Mario and Luigi 4 and then we get them like 6 months later. So I think there are tons of games that we'll be pleasantly surprised with for 2014.

As a Sony first gamer, heres my list of purchases this year concerning 3DS

Resident Evil:Revelations-best resident evil in years
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance-its...ok. Way better than the DS games though
Super Mario 3D Land-Best handheld game ever???
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon-Such an upgrade over the first game. It's tremendous
Project X Zone-Stupid story, but so so very fun

Will be getting Zelda and Sonic soon enough

3DS made me super dissapointed in my Wii U until Pkimin 3 dropped

R0nn

I bought a 3DS this year mostly due to GAF hype and as of now, I'm a bit conflicted about my purchase.

It started out great. My first game was Super Mario 3D Land and I absolutely adored it. Played it all the way through over the course of many evenings and practically 100%ed it.

I also tried out many demos and I liked some of those.
The second game I got was Fire Emblem and even though I like it, I just can't seem to get hooked to it like with Mario. I'm only a couple of chapters in. I dunno why exactly, but ever since, the 3DS has mostly just been sitting there doing nothing.

I did also play some VC stuff on it. It was nice to play some GameBoy classics that way (never had one). I also like the StreetPass stuff. But that's about it. I've never been big on handheld gaming anyway. The DS was my first handheld (got a PSP later as well) and with the exception of a select few titles (Mario Kart, Ace Attorney) I hardly played that system either. Despite buying quite a few games for it.

So yeah, I dunno. Maybe handheld gaming isn't really something for me and I should just stick to consoles and pc.

Top Bottom