• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS: Japanese games you're waiting to be announced for the US/EU?

Sandfox

Project X Zone and EX Troopers are never going to leave Japan(thought PxR is apparently really bad so I'm conflicted on that one). I'd be surprised if a lot of the other games like Rune Factory 4 didn't come over though.

61NcA0WjIUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nazo Waku Yakata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AGpNSPasFQ

I now want this game

Maaan, that looks really cool :( I would love to try out a new kinda game like that.

Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone
Project X Zone

Hesemonni

Banned
Etrian Odyssey 4?

I'm actually still having hope that somebody decides to localize the 7th Dragon on the DS also...

grumpy

Dragon's Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix)
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Sqaure Enix)
Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney (Level-5)
Dragon Quest VII (Square Enix)
Unchained Blades (FuRyu Games)
Devil Summoners: Soul Hackers (Atlus)
Etrian Odyssey 4 (Atlus)
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Marvelous AQL)

Devil Survivor Overclocked & Code of Princess are actually coming out in the EU.

Moonlight

Banned
A couple of things. First and foremost would be Bravely Default. I'm beginning to regret even paying attention to it, given how silent Square Enix has been in regards to its' localization. I'd also love to see Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton come over. On that note, Ace Attorney 5. Although I'm not sure if that's been confirmed for a western release or not.

does Hatsue Miku and the Future Stars get more challenging at all?

from watching vids i seen on youtube it looks bit easy.

OP is missing two great side scrolling platformers (I've completed both):

RETAIL
-Crayon Shin-Chan Uchuu DE Achoo!? Yuujou no Oba-karate!!
-Gon Baku Baku Baku Baku Adventure

While Crayon Shin-Chan will never see the light of day outside of Japan (there have been about 20 Crayon SC games since the Famicom days, but not a single one has been localized), Gon would make a great eshop download title for other regions.

are they both in japanese eshop or just Gon Baku Baku Baku Baku Adventure.

Crayon Shin-Chan Uchuu DE Achoo!? Yuujou no Oba-karate looks mad fun.

how is the difficulty level?

I'm amazed Tokyo Crash Mobs is coming over, like really amazed.

That looks fun & weird.

I'm excited about Inafune's King of Pirates game, despite knowing very little about it. It will be interesting to see if that gets localized...

MH4 should be good, I'm sure it's localization hopes rest on Tri Ultimate's sales so everybody should run out and buy a copy in March.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm amazed Tokyo Crash Mobs is coming over, like really amazed.
Might be a lot more interesting if it was a game you couldn't already play in dozens of other incarnations. It's just Puzzloop/Magnetica/Actionloop/Zuma/Luxor with a wacky skin.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bravely Default, DQVII, Fantasy Life, Layton vs AA.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland, Dragon Quest VII, Fantasy Life, Culdcept 3DS (never happening), Bravely Default, Rune Factory 4, and EX Troopers

The easiest answer is just looking at the current state of third party software sales (in the States, at least) on 3DS, plus the strong (though declining) yen. I think it's too much of a gamble to bring most of these titles over, and probably will be until post-Pokemon X/Y, and may still be even then. eShop-only releases I can get behind, but who knows if even that's worth the time and effort.

That Soul Hackers is happening is really enough for me at the moment, but I'd really like to see Fantasy Life, in particular, brought over.

I've seen this said many times, but I'd really like to understand what's the problem with the numbers Creamsugar posted. I mean, why are those numbers considered problematic? What was people expecting from some titles? I can perfectly understand people wanted better numbers from RE: Revelations ( and in fact, it's the biggest flop on 3DS by far), but for the rest? Did people expect to see titles like Code of Princess over 100k? Or Harvest Moon over 100k even if just launch ed in November? I fear too many saw Angry Birds as the best seller and just for that they think third party content can't sell in the platform, overreacting just a bit too much.
What about Sonic? What about KH, that will continue to sell as the installare base grows given it's Disney component? Or Tales of the Abyss, near to what the original did on PS2? Epic Mickey is just behind the Wii version of EM2 in sales, it's outdoing all the others. The biggest Japanese release saleswise was KH3D, and it's doing rather decent so far. Most of the others were niche titles, and those don't require such a big amount of copies sold to profit, and that's why we're still seeing some of them being released in PSP. And that's not considering all the Lego titles.

Third party sales in US are fine so far, and you have to remember that games on portable systems have great legs: on DS so many titles started slow but then they e obtained to sell well, and we're already starting seeing this on 3DS. Sonic started with less than 20k in its first days, now it's over 300k; Angry Birds started with around 20k, and it's between 400k and 500k now. Other examples are Skylanders, Lego titles ( those will sell much better when DS SKU will lose its importance saleswise)

So, I can't understand what's the BIG problem some people is seeing, seriously.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
DSoverclocked is coming out in PAL next month. btw, I'd really like to see a lot of those games coming to Europe... all 3 ds needs to satsfy a lot of us is "just" guarantee more Japanese localizations, even eshop only...

I import most Japan-only games I really want, but there are a few I'd love to see in English:

Time Travellers
Dragon Quest VII
Fantasy Life
Slime Morimori
Bravely Default.

Qurupeke

Project X Zone
Time Travellers
Monster Hunter 4
Professor Layton X Phoenix Wright
Ace Attorney 5
Professor Layton 6

Also, why the Pokemon MD game hasn't been announced in Europe yet? :(

also

Banned
The game I want the most is Time Travellers, closely followed by Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney. It would be perfectly fine if they just kept the JAP dub or even no dub at all (except for the cutscene).

Others I'm also interested in, from most interested to least:
Dragon Quest VII
Fantasy Life
Bravely Default Flying Fairy
Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3D
Slime Morimori: Dragon Quest 3

I also want the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game but since it was announced for NA, I don't think I have to worry about it reaching Europe.

Partially sarcasm. Partially not.

Hey, I would love it if gamers flocked to third-party titles on Nintendo platforms but the sales numbers that have been disclosed clearly state that's not happening unless your name is Just Dance.

All things being equal I actually think an equivalent third-party title released on both 3DS/Vita might well sell better on the Vita despite a criminally disproportionate install base... and that's a scary thought. Unfortunately there haven't been many to point to with available numbers to back that up aside from LEGO games which would sell better on the 3DS given the owner demographic and VLR which is a direct sequel to a DS title (and in the case of the latter we have nothing to go on sales-wise, but I'll assume the 3DS version sold more even factoring in the game's Vita availability).

A fringe title like that doesn't really make sense to dissect anyhow because niche is going to be niche regardless of platform.

The point is that higher profile third-party releases are going to have a hard time finding an audience on a Nintendo platform. And that's a real shame given the burgeoning strength of the 3DS non-localized release library. Some of the finest Japanese-developed titles are going to be released exclusively on that platform over the next several years and there's a strong chance we'll see very few of them. Here's hoping titles like Crimson Shroud can find an audience on eShop so we can be exposed to more of them.

I don't think that's simply true.

High profile third-party games, such as Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest (the mainline entries, at least) will have their way to Europe and North America, simply because they have a potential to sell well, and there's likely to be Nintendo behind to push the localization, or to do that by themselves. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is coming also on 3DS, so why not expecting the 4th one? Monster Hunter Tri sold well in the West, and Capcom has all the interest to choose Nintendo over Sony platforms given how abysmally Monster Hunter Portable has been supported by the latter in the West, and how poor it sold on PSP. As for Dragon Quest, it's more difficult to say something clear, but IX sold greatly on DS, and the IP has found its own niche in the West, despite having anyone; maybe we're not getting Terry's Wonderland 3D, but VII is a bet. Also: I would wait some Nintendo's effort in this sense; after Pokémon, Fire Emblem, etc. it would be easier to find a certain audience on 3DS.

For what concerns low profile third-party games, do you really know how niche games tend to sell on other platforms? Because we're talking about very low, low numbers. For example, Atelier games are always below 10k, IIRC, and still they keep bringing over. It's not difficult to break-even with such low budget titles, and that's why Code of Princess was probably profitable for Atlus, and why Atlus themselves is bringin in North America all of its 3DS releases. In general, one has to wait to see whether a title is going to be released or not; it's not that on DS and PS2 we got all games all of a sudden, and it's not that we got all games we wanted; a lot of games didn't come over those days even though the massive userbase and titles like mainline Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

As for the titles mentioned in the OP, I can totally see Rune Factory 4 (I think this was partially confirmed), Bravely Default, Dragon Quest VII and Shin Megami Tensei IV in the West. And of course Professor Layton games, and Inazuma Eleven games (at least in Europe, I think they will start with the collection for 3DS given that it has the third entry). As for the others, well, maybe the only ones that would have come some years ago without any doubt are Terry's Wonderland 3D and EX Troopers. Senran Kagura, Love Plus, Hatsune Miku, Project X Zone and Girls' RPG wouldn't have come in the West even if they were PS2 releases.

As for Fantasy Life, I think the game has potential here. It would be nice to see Nintendo handling the localization, in a way to find some breakout hit, as it already happened with all previous Level-5 games they localized.

Calciobit and Culdcept might likely be eShop releases.

redlemon

I would have liked to see how Beyond the labyrinth was and time travellers seemed interesting too.
Also all the ATLUS games that'll probably never get picked up for Europe. Though hopefully we'll see a situation where US publishers do DD release for europe like the psp.

Sleepy

I feel like a broken record in 3DS threads...

But I want my god damn Rune Factory 4. :mad:

Me, too. But I want Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright. As, AA5 is coming, I expect we will get this game, later rather than sooner, though.

It pisses me off how SE has been reluctant to localize any of their games.

I bet you 100 dollars that Reggie convinced SE from not bringing these games over.

Other than Bravely Deafult and Layton VS Wright there's not much at the moment.
Of course there's still the fact that Atlus games are never sure to have a PAL release, so add SMT IV and Soul Hackers to that list.

XaosWolf

Only one main one for me.
sm3-02.png

Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: The Great Pirate Ship and Tails Troupe

Played the second one, and that didn't even reach the UK.
The only game I know where if things are going tits-up during a tank battle, you can hop in a cannon, fire yourself across into the enemy tank and wreck their sh*t.

The region-lock will kill me for this game.

RPGCrazied

Dragon Quest 7 is pretty much a given its going to get localized. I forgot the name, but it was Time something, Time Traveler? I think it was by Level-5 or something.

I wish they hadn't region locked the system; there's a lot of US and Japanese games I'd like to play. Guess I just have to hope some get localised in Europe.

Beyond the Labyrinth
Bravely Default
Fantasy Life
Project X Zone
Nazo Waku Yakata
Jake Hunter
Time Travellers
Rune Factory 4
Code of Princess (an actual physical EU release, not digital)
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
Ni no Kuni
Project Mirai

Loads of games I actually want to pick up a 3DS for, but with the horrid state of the EU 3DS market I wouldn't be surprised if only RF and HM make it over here.

Has there been any word on the Inazuma 11 3DS compilation coming to the West? I've always wanted to try that series and I'd rather get that than get the individual DS releases.

PopfulMail

I may be the only person in the world that had hoped this... but I always wanted someone to bring over Zoo Keeper 3D. The game has been out for ages now so it seems this will never happen.

Puyo and Picross E would be welcome as well.

Top Bottom