• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Launching February 26th For 25000 Yen In Japan, March In US/EU, Features Detailed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo has announced that the Nintendo 3DS will be launch on February 26th, 2011 in Japan for 25000 Yen (approximately $300), and will launch in March in the U.S. and Europe.

Pricing for the U.S. and Europe has not been announced.

3dspricerd55.jpg

Mentioned Features:
-Comes with a 2 GB SD card.
-Comes with charging cradle.
-3DS Virtual Console for Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and maybe Game Boy Advance titles.
-3DS online service will sell Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Classic Games in 3D, DSiWare, and 3DS (ware?) titles.
-Always on passive Tag Mode that can do data exchange, even for games not being played.
-Japanese launch colors are Aqua Blue and Cosmos Black.
-Home button brings up an ingame menu enabling users to browse the web, turn Wi-Fi on/off and modify other settings without exiting.
-"Mii Studio" Application: Take a picture of yourself and have it auto converted into a Mii.
- "AR Games" Application: Built in augmented reality games (comes with six paper cards for these).
-"Nintendo 3DS Cameras" Application: The 3DS can automatically merge two photos into a single image. I'm assuming this is also for taking pictures.
-"Nintendo 3DS Sound" Application: Unsure, guessing something like Mario Paint.
-"Chance Encounter Mii Plaza" Application: I'm assuming this is a place for Miis to hang out that you've picked up from tag mode and/or QR codes.
-"Book" Application: Maybe an ebook reader?
-3DSWare games can be moved from one 3DS to another, and some DSiWare games can be moved to the 3DS as well.
-Is compatible with Wifine if you live in Japan.

Cosmos Black:
nintendo-3ds8izt.jpg

Aqua Blue:
3dsfinal2_01li5p.jpg

xclaw

Do want. However I'm already pondering how they will do the "lite" version, that always seems happens.

DonMigs85

$300 is pretty steep, but they are uncharacteristically bundling quite a bit of extras. PSP Go shoulda come with the dock at least.
They may sell it for $250 in the US, but maybe w/o the dock. Hopefully they keep the SD card.

Posted stuff in other thread. Anyway, always thought it would be at least around 300 USD...sure they can change it for official US price, but still think it will be 300 here.

Toki767

I'm sure they will put out a lite version, but I don't know if I can really wait for that. The 3DS being about the size of the DS Lite makes it sound great to me already.

1-D_FTW

Woke up about 10 minutes ago and gaf was down. Has it been down since the announcement? Can't say I'm shocked by anything. Figured tech had nothing to do with cost and am not surprised. Nintendo got used to very high margins and was expecting them to pimp the price.

DonMigs85

Toki767 said:
I'm sure they will put out a lite version, but I don't know if I can really wait for that. The 3DS being about the size of the DS Lite makes it sound great to me already.
I think Gravijah is still rocking the DS Phat so there's certainly no harm in picking up the first 3DS model and sticking with it.

Toki767

What are the odds that Nintendo are going to be making a profit on every unit sold? It seems unlike them to not.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This system is pretty loaded, so I have no problems with that price.

Also, damn this killed GAF pretty good, lol

Farmboy

Nirolak said:
- "AR Games" Application: Built in augmented reality games (comes with six paper cards for these).

Great idea; the AR-demo I played at E3 was pretty cool. Also something you'd want to use to demonstrate your new gadget to your mates. So no doubt Nintendo is hoping this will be something of a viral marketing tool.

Sloane

Banned
I don't get why some of those gameplay videos look great (Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Animal Crossing) while others look godawful (Mario Kart, Ridge Racer?). Somebody explain!

Dennis

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I knew it!

Man, all those people expecting a it to be under US$ 200 look stupid now. Could we have a sticky thread with their names prominently on display?

For easier crow-serving....

Toki767

Raging Spaniard said:
This system is pretty loaded, so I have no problems with that price.

Also, damn this killed GAF pretty good, lol
It's pretty cool of them to add that charging cradle. The 2gb SD card I could probably do without since I might just end up buying a bigger card since SD cards are almost dirt cheap these days.

And yeah, it wasn't even 500 errors this time. GAF just stopped working altogether. :lol

C-Jo

I'm glad it's not November cuz there's basically no way I could afford it this year. But yeah, day motherfucking zero.

Provider

Tarin02543 said:
300$ (aka 299€ in europe) is still too much for me.

I'll wait for the inevitable redesign.

If Nintendo keeps doing things like they did with the first DS the 3DS revision will be more expensive.

Sloane said:
I don't get why some of those gameplay videos look great (Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Animal Crossing) while others look godawful (Mario Kart, Ridge Racer?). Somebody explain!
The 3DS dosnt magicaly make bad games good (Mario Kart looks good tho)

Is it March 26 for US?

Anyway, exciting stuff! I can't wait to see some launch games for it.

Also, it's cool to see that we may be able to transfer DSiWare games to the 3DS.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda called it would be $249-$299.

Anyway, I'll skip this and wait for the 3DS Lite version.

AniHawk

So $250 in the states seems likely. That sucks. Although the DS was cheaper in NA than Japan for a good long forever, so there's still the possibility it's $200.

Still kinda banking on $200. I think it's one of those psychological barrier things.

Oh, and Link looks weird in the OoT remake.

DonMigs85

Toki767 said:
What are the odds that Nintendo are going to be making a profit on every unit sold? It seems unlike them to not.
I bet they'll have a margin of well over $100 on every unit sold.

Mafro

Sloane said:
Ridge Racer looks like (and probably is) a port of the iPhone version.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Provider said:
If Nintendo keeps doing things like they did with the first DS the 3DS revision will be more expensive.

With pricecuts and things it'll probably be cheaper by the time it arrives. I assume with this kind of starting price there will be more price cutting happening over its lifetime than was perhaps the case before.

I also wonder if they're maybe leaving the DS some breathing room to co-exist for a little while. But that's sort of risky.

Branduil

So not only are they missing the holiday season entirely, they're also charging way too much. Can't say I'm impressed with how Nintendo is handling this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn't this the most expensive handheld at launch? I do know PSP came out a bit cheaper and the DS being way cheaper.

AkIRA_22

Zelda looks good, I'm sure there will be some good launch games, seems it's got some 3rd parties behind it. HOWEVER, the actual hardware looks bloody ugly. I won't comment on feel but it just looks... crap. the lines and minimalism of the DS have been broken. they need a Scandinavian design firm to go over it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
at that price...no thank you. I'll wait for a refurb or some trade in offer at gamestop.

Top Bottom