• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

3DS November update WILL be bringing OS Level friend invites after all!

jacksrb

Member
Jul 9, 2009
671
0
0
Nashville, TN - USA
walking fiend said:
I have come to the only possible conclusion from the past few months,

Doomed Nintendo is the best Nintendo!
Agree! That is at least what makes them the best for customers - but I guess the cycle goes like:

NintenDOOMED -> Crazy Good Stuff -> People buy a lot of Nintendo stuff -> NinCONTENT -> People say WTF -> NintenDOOMED -> rinse, repeat
 

Luigiv

Member
Jun 8, 2009
9,918
0
700
Perth, Australia
wrowa said:
Huh, really? First time I've heard of that.
Oh wait, my bad, coming in December as an eShop download, not as a part of the update. It'll be called either Nintendo Letterbox or Swapnote depending on your region. Definitely not integrated.
 

Erethian

Member
Jan 20, 2010
3,253
0
0
Zoramon089 said:
This all bodes well for the Wii U online system
If I had to venture an opinion I'd say these changes have most to do with how they're developing the Wii U's online.

Getting a lot of input from third-parties, and wanting to please them, means they can't just dick around anymore.
 
Jul 15, 2004
19,941
0
0
36
UK
Luigiv said:
Oh wait, my bad, coming in December as an eShop download, not as a part of the update. It'll be called either Nintendo Letterbox or Swapnote depending on your region. Definitely not integrated.
It probably has SpotPass integration... you get a blue update light, a blue sphere on the app icon and a notification when you recieve spot pass data for other apps, I don't see why the messaging app will be any different. It'd be best if they could have made it integral to the friends list, so it loads at OS level - even if games are running / suspended - like the Internet Browser does, but it wouldn't matter too much if you get a notification telling you who you've had a message(s) from and maybe a snippet of what they've written.

The messaging app is gonna be cool btw. The only notes being swapped in swapnote will be 3D pictochat penises. You know it to be true.
 

Luigiv

Member
Jun 8, 2009
9,918
0
700
Perth, Australia
radioheadrule83 said:
It probably has SpotPass integration... you get a blue update light, a blue sphere on the app icon and a notification when you recieve spot pass data for other apps, I don't see why the messaging app will be any different. It'd be best if they could have made it integral to the friends list, so it loads at OS level - even if games are running / suspended - like the Internet Browser does, but it wouldn't matter too much if you get a notification telling you who you've had a message(s) from and maybe a snippet of what they've written.

The messaging app is gonna be cool btw. The only notes being swapped in swapnote will be 3D pictochat penises. You know it to be true.
Yeah, but spotpass is a given. I of course mean a deeper level of integration, like being able to send invites from within a game or send messages straight from the friends list and so on. I wouldn't be suprised if the Spotpass message consists of nothing more then "You received a Swapnote message from so & so. Click to close your current application and open Swapnote now".

*click*
*Picture of a Penis*
FUUU so & so I just existed my game for this!
 

Erethian

Member
Jan 20, 2010
3,253
0
0
Luigiv said:
Yeah, but that's a given. I mean a deeper level of integration, like being able to send invites from within a game or send messages straight from the friends list.
I have to figure the reason it's an eShop title is because it's not just a simple messaging application, but lets you record little bits of audio and send photos and whatnot.

Still, not like they couldn't have made a separate application to integrate with the friends list. Or have it suspend more advanced functions if you run it while playing a game.
 

Zoramon089

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
12,854
0
0
Majine said:
"Well" is relative. It'll be less terrible than Wii, let's stay there for now.
People just don't want to admit Nintendo is shaping up their online...After they add messaging what other major feature are they missing? Yeah, there could be some UI improvements but they'll have everything you expect from a modern online system
 

@MUWANdo

Banned
Jun 7, 2011
9,665
0
0
I wonder how this'll work exactly... I mean, the odds of you having the game cart in the system when clicking that message must be pretty low, and without the cart in the system you're obviously not gonna be able to join any games.
 

Erethian

Member
Jan 20, 2010
3,253
0
0
Zoramon089 said:
People just don't want to admit Nintendo is shaping up their online...After they add messaging what other major feature are they missing? Yeah, there could be some UI improvements but they'll have everything you expect from a modern online system
Still need an account system, still need the ability to invite people to your game rather than just joining an existing game. Really should make communities a standard feature of the online system rather than a Mario Kart 3DS specific thing. And there's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

But by the time the WiiU launches they will have their web-based eShop purchases up and running, and I'm sure they'll be slowly improving the online of the 3DS over time. Even if some changes won't be backwards compatible.
 

Majine

Member
May 21, 2009
28,646
1
1,070
Zoramon089 said:
People just don't want to admit Nintendo is shaping up their online...After they add messaging what other major feature are they missing? Yeah, there could be some UI improvements but they'll have everything you expect from a modern online system
An account system for the store, Party functionality, achievement system, get rid of the friendcodes, etc.
 

Luigiv

Member
Jun 8, 2009
9,918
0
700
Perth, Australia
Erethian said:
I have to figure the reason it's an eShop title is because it's not just a simple messaging application, but lets you record little bits of audio and send photos and whatnot.

Still, not like they couldn't have made a separate application to integrate with the friends list. Or have it suspend more advanced functions if you run it while playing a game.
Well the annoying part is that the Wii already had OS level messaging (but obviously no multitasking so it was completely useless), so it's just baffling that messaging wasn't there day one (or at least close to launch) for the 3DS. It seems like an obvious feature for the firmware team to have kept for an actual multitasking OS.
 

WrenchNinja

Member
May 29, 2009
30,422
0
825
Door2Dawn said:
It's a fucking handheld. If you want all of that shit, then stick to consoles.
It being a handheld is not an excuse for lack of an account based system.
 

UncleSporky

Member
Sep 22, 2006
11,737
5
1,240
Erethian said:
Still need an account system, still need the ability to invite people to your game rather than just joining an existing game.
It is not yet known how this invite system works, or if it even works at all yet.

You can go to your friend list from the home screen while playing a game, perhaps the option changes to "invite" when you're already playing a game.
 

Majine

Member
May 21, 2009
28,646
1
1,070
Door2Dawn said:
And will the majority of people who buy it actually care about those things? My guess is no.
Everything with the exception of achievements is basically a must in this day and age, regardless if its a console or handheld. Especially store-accounts, a very pro-consumer feature which absence basically robs you if your device fails.

So, you should care.
 

WrenchNinja

Member
May 29, 2009
30,422
0
825
Majine said:
Especially store-accounts, a very pro-consumer feature which absence basically robs you if your device fails.
It's basically the reason why I don't buy anything off the Wiishop, DSi store or the e-shop. Well apart from Majora's Mask. I did buy that.
 
Jul 15, 2004
19,941
0
0
36
UK
Majine said:
An account system for the store, Party functionality, achievement system, get rid of the friendcodes, etc.
  • The store already has an account system (optional linking to Club Nintendo accounts)... they should keep that and just allow you to sync your games/apps with consoles using it. One reason they might be wary of this is that it may expose them to some kind of loophole. People signing in on one console, downloading all their stuff, taking that console offline, and then trying to do the same on another console -- tricking the shop software into accepting it, or calling Nintendo to demand they allow them download their stuff even though they've already downloaded it. They need a way to remotely monitor licenses / installs and block installs or remove them if necessary.
  • Not sure Party Functionality is all that important tbh, if more games have community features like MK7 that will probably suffice
  • 3DS doesn't have OS-level achievements but it does have Game Coins, these are already being used as currency in some games, I don't see why games couldn't also reward Game Coins for in-game achievements in future.
  • There's nothing wrong with Friend Codes - they allow a nice degree of freedom, potentially. They just need to make the friending process more asynchronous and less laborious. If I were Nintendo I'd have searchable / linkable Mii profiles on Nintendo websites, so you can add friends from the web. I'd have parental-control protected friend invites, so people could recieve normal friend invitations. I'd take a look at social networking APIs, and make Facebook / Google+ apps for finding existing friends who have a 3DS / Wii-U so you could add them on the console. It could even sync already existing relationships so you don't even have to add them!
 

enishi

Member
Aug 30, 2006
770
0
0
Finally saw a friend online, and proved 2 things:
1. It brings this friend to the front of my list
2. Since he is also playing SM3DL (i.e. he is with latest firmware), the "invite" button is still disabled

I haven't got Tetris Axis, so I cannot test how the invite works... :(
 

walking fiend

Member
Apr 13, 2011
8,247
0
0
enishi said:
Finally saw a friend online, and proved 2 things:
1. It brings this friend to the front of my list
2. Since he is also playing SM3DL (i.e. he is with latest firmware), the "invite" button is still disabled

I haven't got Tetris Axis, so I cannot test how the invite works... :(
Well, the first issue being solved is really good, it was pretty stupid if you had to search through all your offline users to find the online ways.

Does SM3DL has any form of online for online to be enabled? I guess we won't really see many games supporting it even from now, till probably few months into the future, beside some obvious games like MK7, unless they had it in mind well in advance and let developers know of this.

also thx for the updates.
 

Majine

Member
May 21, 2009
28,646
1
1,070
radioheadrule83 said:
  • The store already has an account system (optional linking to Club Nintendo accounts)... they should keep that and just allow you to sync your games/apps with consoles using it. One reason they might be wary of this is that it may expose them to some kind of loophole. People signing in on one console, downloading all their stuff, taking that console offline, and then trying to do the same on another console -- tricking the shop software into accepting it, or calling Nintendo to demand they allow them download their stuff even though they've already downloaded it. They need a way to remotely monitor licenses / installs and block installs or remove them if necessary.
  • Not sure Party Functionality is all that important tbh, if more games have community features like MK7 that will probably suffice
  • 3DS doesn't have OS-level achievements but it does have Game Coins, these are already being used as currency in some games, I don't see why games couldn't also reward Game Coins for in-game achievements in future.
  • There's nothing wrong with Friend Codes - they allow a nice degree of freedom, potentially. They just need to make the friending process more asynchronous and less laborious. If I were Nintendo I'd have searchable / linkable Mii profiles on Nintendo websites, so you can add friends from the web. I'd have parental-control protected friend invites, so people could recieve normal friend invitations. I'd take a look at social networking apps, and make Facebook / Google+ apps for finding existing friends who have a 3DS / Wii-U so you could add them on the console. It could even sync already existing relationships so you don't even have to add them!
Club Nintendo is only available in a few countries, Party chat is important unless you ofcourse have that "good enough" mentality, Game Coins have no similarities, most people don't remember their Wii friendcodes so there is somethibg seriously wrong with them.
 

Somnid

Member
Aug 9, 2006
19,685
0
0
Majine said:
Everything with the exception of achievements is basically a must in this day and age, regardless if its a console or handheld. Especially store-accounts, a very pro-consumer feature which absence basically robs you if your device fails.

So, you should care.
It doesn't actually work like that, realistically speaking.
 
Jul 15, 2004
19,941
0
0
36
UK
Majine said:
Club Nintendo is only available in a few countries, Party chat is important unless you ofcourse have that "good enough" mentality, Game Coins have no similarities, most people don't remember their Wii friendcodes so there is somethibg seriously wrong with them.
In that case they should expand Club Nintendo, make Game Coins more useful and do the things I mentioned to make it so you don't have to remember your friend code, even though the system is based on them. I wasn't suggesting that the current system is perfect, I was saying that it wouldn't take much at all to fix a lot of complaints with it.
 

walking fiend

Member
Apr 13, 2011
8,247
0
0
Majine said:
Club Nintendo is only available in a few countries, Party chat is important unless you ofcourse have that "good enough" mentality, Game Coins have no similarities, most people don't remember their Wii friendcodes so there is somethibg seriously wrong with them.
People complaining about friend codes is really strange. Just put in your phone even if you don't carry your 3DS around, save it as a contact, issue solved. I certainly understand that it is not easy at all to memorize it, but it is not needed.
 

Majine

Member
May 21, 2009
28,646
1
1,070
walking fiend said:
People complaining about friend codes is really strange. Just put in your phone even if you don't carry your 3DS around, save it as a contact, issue solved. I certainly understand that it is not easy at all to memorize it, but it is not needed.
You're right, might aswell use Skype on the phone too for Party chat. And messaging. Great job, Nintendo.
 
Aug 10, 2008
38,702
0
0
U.S.A.
Door2Dawn said:
And will the majority of people who buy it actually care about those things? My guess is no.
Lol what? The freaking PSP had an account based system. The iPhone has an account based system. Vita has one. 3DS? Nope.
 

Takao

Banned
Mar 19, 2009
51,003
0
0
Toronto, Canada
Door2Dawn said:
And will the majority of people who buy it actually care about those things? My guess is no.
The majority of people who buy Nintendo platforms don't buy Fire Emblem games, yet Nintendo still makes them. Not doing something because it isn't an obvious bullet point is a bad idea, even more so when all of your competition has had it in place for years.
 

beje

Banned
Dec 9, 2008
4,424
0
0
It's funny how this thread is only 2 pages long. If it was the contraty (no OS-level online interaction after the Nov. 22nd update) this thread would be like 50 pages of people "never buying Nintendo again" by now (like they ever did).
 

Effect

Member
Jun 15, 2007
21,774
0
0
Majine said:
An account system for the store, Party functionality, achievement system, get rid of the friendcodes, etc.
Achievement system is not something that is needed. Nice to have but rather they put their time and effort on more important things.

I might be weird but I like how the account system is setup now to a degree. I like that Nintendo doesn't save any of my payment information. Now it would be better if we could make one time purchases for the exact amount of the game instead of having to use a wallet. I like the friend code setup as it is now. That way I can change what my profile/Mii name is at will (I believe this can be done) since that isn't what defines me but the code does. It's the same as a phone number. I just honestly don't understand the hate for it. Needing one for each game was horrible but you just have one now. Would be nice if we could have the same one on the Wii U but doubt that. I would like for them to fix up the Club Nintendo account and use that more. Perhaps that will be the next step when they let us make purchases via the Internet.

What I can picture Nintendo doing (if they use the Club Nintendo account for their Internet setup) is something like Amazon.com does with the Kindles. You make a purchase on the site for a kindle book but you also have an option of having it pushed to which device you have registered on it. So if you have say two different Kindle models registered and maybe the Kindle for Android app on a device (and that's registered) you can pick which one the purchase is pushed out to initially. So when you turn them on and the 3G connection or Wifi is one and you have a connection it downloads right away. You have to register your systems with the Club Nintendo account anyway before you can access the Wii Shop, eShop, and DSi Ware shop anyway. Why not just use what is already there instead of creating something completely new.
 

EVH

Member
Mar 11, 2009
1,574
2
660
radioheadrule83 said:
  • The store already has an account system (optional linking to Club Nintendo accounts)... they should keep that and just allow you to sync your games/apps with consoles using it. One reason they might be wary of this is that it may expose them to some kind of loophole. People signing in on one console, downloading all their stuff, taking that console offline, and then trying to do the same on another console -- tricking the shop software into accepting it, or calling Nintendo to demand they allow them download their stuff even though they've already downloaded it. They need a way to remotely monitor licenses / installs and block installs or remove them if necessary.
  • Not sure Party Functionality is all that important tbh, if more games have community features like MK7 that will probably suffice
  • 3DS doesn't have OS-level achievements but it does have Game Coins, these are already being used as currency in some games, I don't see why games couldn't also reward Game Coins for in-game achievements in future.
  • There's nothing wrong with Friend Codes - they allow a nice degree of freedom, potentially. They just need to make the friending process more asynchronous and less laborious. If I were Nintendo I'd have searchable / linkable Mii profiles on Nintendo websites, so you can add friends from the web. I'd have parental-control protected friend invites, so people could recieve normal friend invitations. I'd take a look at social networking APIs, and make Facebook / Google+ apps for finding existing friends who have a 3DS / Wii-U so you could add them on the console. It could even sync already existing relationships so you don't even have to add them!

Seriously, now I understand why the fuck we got this shitty online system. It's because people eats and finds stupid ways to justify whatever Nintendo throws.
 

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sep 9, 2006
27,410
1
0
EVH said:
Seriously, now I understand why the fuck we got this shitty online system. It's because people eats and finds stupid ways to justify whatever Nintendo throws.
Yup, thats the reason.
 

SmokyDave

Member
Dec 8, 2008
35,663
33
825
England
All I know is that I want to be able to buy a new 3DS, put my username and password in and then re-download everything and anything (digital) I've ever bought from a nice, easy to view transactions list. That's how it works with my PSP, iPhone, iPad, Xbox 360, PS3, PC (Steam) and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same from the newest games hardware on the market.
 
Aug 10, 2008
38,702
0
0
U.S.A.
If I am on my PSP and have downloaded/bought so many games from the PSN but I want to sell it and get a new one, guess what: all that I have to do is deactivate it. I go buy a new PSP, log into my PSN account and BOOM, I can download all of the games I bought onto the new system. With the 3DS? NOPE. I need to BUY a NEW 3DS, transfer said games from the old to the new, and THEN go sell the old one.

When a new model comes out, I'd like to be able to go to GS and trade it in for credit towards the new one. Unfortunately I cannot do this if I want to keep my purchases. It's inexcusable.