• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS November update WILL be bringing OS Level friend invites after all!

Just recently discovered in the SM3DL OT thread, it seems that the November update is included on the game card itself!

F86Zt.jpg

And low and behold (in Japanese), the option to join a friend's game in progress is included at the top of the screen now. It hasn't been tested yet though (the guy's friends aren't online right now and I've gotta dash, so I can't test it myself with him)

Rejoice!

teeny

Trust Nintendo to not confirm properly! Was there even any kind of notification when the firmware was installed from the cart?

It is a shame that these features werent included from the get go. It would have made the 3DS a much more attractive proposal, especially considering that some early games pulled off online functionality quite well.

Im looking forward to Mario Kart with this, and the other community features.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I thought this was expected. Guess not.

OMG Aero

So is there any way this can work with existing Wi-Fi games or will it only be available in games going forward like Mario Kart?

Erethian

If this is you jumping the gun again, Nuclear Muffin, I expect you to eat one nominated piece of household furniture for all our troubles.

Plinko said:
I thought this was expected?

There was a bit of confusion when the Mario Kart 7 Channel was announced, with people (including myself) that the friend invites were just done via the installed app. Now we have confirmation that it's done at the OS level!

Of course, we're still waiting on tests to see what games support it...

It's kinda sad that a thread needs to be made about this in 2011. Still, it is some level of progress for Ninty. Long way to go. Wii U needs to have shit right from the start instead of being updated in much later after launch.

Mik2121

Nuclear Muffin said:
Do you have the update? Care to share details about what's there?
Yes. I bought the game and got the update. It took about 2 minutes to install from the game card and it said the update number but can't remember it now. I will check the Nintendo site later see if it says something. Anyway, I tried to confirm some of the stuff from the announcement but couldn't find anything. I will try again later, after my gf is done playing.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Damnit, you got me off the couch :(

Mik2121 said:
Yes. I bought the game and got the update. It took about 2 minutes to install from the game card and it said the update number but can't remember it now. I will check the Nintendo site later see if it says something. Anyway, I tried to confirm some of the stuff from the announcement but couldn't find anything. I will try again later, after my gf is done playing.

Can you check the Firmware level on the System Settings, the latest version is 2.1.0-4J.

Mik2121 said:

Weird that they would choose to put out a half finished update like this. Still, good to see that the most important thing is there!

Mik2121

Nuclear Muffin said:
Weird that they would choose to put out a half finished update like this. Still, good to see that the most important thing is there!
Maybe to improve security of the console? Can he 3DS be pirated? If so, maybe this could be part of it.

But yeah, I don't think there's much else from the announced update...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About the update

I saw no one mentioned here (maybe I overlooked). This game requires firmware update. It brings firmware version 2.2.0-4J which adds some new functions to friend list. For example, a new button "join the playing game" is added to the friend list.

Here you go, Mik.

Nuclear Muffin said:
perhaps these features were finished a while ago and an update was planned around them though they thought the other features would be ready soon enough so its all getting bundled together for the download

Mik2121

Mpl90 said:
About the update

I saw no one mentioned here (maybe I overlooked). This game requires firmware update. It brings firmware version 2.2.0-4J which adds some new functions to friend list. For example, a new button "join the playing game" is added to the friend list.

Here you go, Mik.
Well, that's all stuff I already knew, what I don't in is if it includes something else, and what would that be.

frankie_baby said:
perhaps these features were finished a while ago and an update was planned around them though they thought the other features would be ready soon enough so its all getting bundled together for the download

Or maybe they're using this update as a test bed, before rolling out the full November update.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mik2121 said:
Well, that's all stuff I already knew, what I don't in is if it includes something else, and what would that be.

But the update number!
I made you remember it :(

However, now I'm on Nintendo site.
Let's see if I can discover something else

enishi

VOOK said:
Damnit, you got me off the couch :(

Can you check the Firmware level on the System Settings, the latest version is 2.1.0-4J.

As I am the one who raised this question up, and responsible for the OP photo, I also post the option screen then :)

V1Jln.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Edit:
And here is what other user found in some Japanese blog.
http://ameblo.jp/watamario/entry-11065591385.html

・「プレイ中のソフトに参加する」というボタンが下画面の上部に表示されている
・左右どちらか押しっぱなしで高速スクロール
・オンラインになっている人が自動的に前の方(自分のMii側)に来る

- "Join the playing software" button in the bottom screen
- Quick scrolling through friend list when long pressing Left or Right (analog or digital) <- Tried by myself
- Friends that online will move to the front of queue automatically <- not tried yet as no one online...

wrowa said:
Joining a friend's game isn't what I call a "friend invite".
No? You don't think the friend would get a pop up asking if they want their friend to join them? That sounds pretty much like an invite to me.

Of course we have no idea if this even does what it seems like it does yet, but it sure sounds the same as an invite.

I guess the difference is whether you're playing and they're not and you invite them, vs. they're playing and you're not and you invite yourself. They both have the same end result, though, and you can access the friend list while playing so perhaps a standard invite is also possible.

UncleSporky said:
No? You don't think the friend would get a pop up asking if they want their friend to join them? That sounds pretty much like an invite to me.

Of course we have no idea if this even does what it seems like it does yet, but it sure sounds the same as an invite.

I guess the difference is whether you're playing and they're not and you invite them, vs. they're playing and you're not and you invite yourself. They both have the same end result, though, and you can access the friend list while playing so perhaps a standard invite is also possible.
it's a reverse invite! You don't invite yourself somewhere!

Mik2121

Mpl90 said:
But the update number!
I made you remember it :(

However, now I'm on Nintendo site.
Let's see if I can discover something else
Ah! I'm sorry. I searched online but all I could find was what enishi already posted.

enishi said:
As I am the one who raised this question up, and responsible for the OP photo, I also post the option screen then :)

http://i.imgur.com/V1Jln.jpg[IMG]

-----------------------------------------------

Edit:
And here is what other user found in some Japanese blog.
[url]http://ameblo.jp/watamario/entry-11065591385.html[/url]

&#12539;&#12300;&#12503;&#12524;&#12452;&#20013;&#12398;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#12395;&#21442;&#21152;&#12377;&#12427;&#12301;&#12392;&#12356;&#12358;&#12508;&#12479;&#12531;&#12364;&#19979;&#30011;&#38754;&#12398;&#19978;&#37096;&#12395;&#34920;&#31034;&#12373;&#12428;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;
&#12539;&#24038;&#21491;&#12393;&#12385;&#12425;&#12363;&#25276;&#12375;&#12387;&#12401;&#12394;&#12375;&#12391;&#39640;&#36895;&#12473;&#12463;&#12525;&#12540;&#12523;
&#12539;&#12458;&#12531;&#12521;&#12452;&#12531;&#12395;&#12394;&#12387;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#20154;&#12364;&#33258;&#21205;&#30340;&#12395;&#21069;&#12398;&#26041;&#65288;&#33258;&#20998;&#12398;Mii&#20596;&#65289;&#12395;&#26469;&#12427;

- "Join the playing software" button in the bottom screen
- Quick scrolling through friend list when long pressing Left or Right (analog or digital) <- Tried by myself
[b]- Friends that online will move to the front of queue automatically <- not tried yet as no one online...[/b][/QUOTE]
I like that.

beje

Banned
Could some j-gaffers with Tetris Axis test if it works with this game? After all, it warns you when somebody is especifically playing online and gives a "Join the fun" message in the friend list.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great that they are getting their online system ready before MK7 - this sounds good, cant wait for the November update.

Erethian said:
If this is you jumping the gun again, Nuclear Muffin, I expect you to eat one nominated piece of household furniture for all our troubles.
Cat scratching post, if it counts.

Takao said:
Coolio, now me and the raichu can play Mario Kart together.
But which raichu?

Majine

Banned
Luigiv said:
There'll be a messaging app in the update. How integrated it is in the OS remains to be seen (I predict not integrated at all).
An app? So seperated from the friendlist? Swing and a miss.

wrowa

Luigiv said:
There'll be a messaging app in the update. How integrated it is in the OS remains to be seen (I predict not integrated at all).
Huh, really? First time I've heard of that.

Top Bottom