• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS November update WILL be bringing OS Level friend invites after all!

EVH said:
Seriously, now I understand why the fuck we got this shitty online system. It's because people eats and finds stupid ways to justify whatever Nintendo throws.

I seldom say this to people, but you either misread my post or you're an idiot. I wasn't justifying anything, I described how they could make the system they already have so much better in a few easy steps.

SmokyDave said:
All I know is that I want to be able to buy a new 3DS, put my username and password in and then re-download everything and anything (digital) I've ever bought from a nice, easy to view transactions list. That's how it works with my PSP, iPhone, iPad, Xbox 360, PS3, PC (Steam) and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same from the newest games hardware on the market.

I'd like that too, but they're going to have to rejig the way they do things to achieve it.

They're currently enabling security on 3DS and Wii by encoding downloads with private keys unique to the console(s). By removing the account signup process, anyone with access can go into the shop, top up with a credit/debit card and buy something - without handing over any significant personal information for Nintendo to lose in the process. I've got a horrible feeling that the fact this new firmware update allows 3DS <-> 3DS transfers, that probably means they're not planning to give you what you want any time soon.

It seems baffling that they're not tying it to Club Nintendo accounts when you first think about it, but as someone else said - CN isn't available in all countries, so they need to rectify that first as best they can. Even if they get people to tie their existing 3DSware purchases to their Club Nintendo account, they then need to implement some sort of licensing / authorisation system like iTunes and PSN in order to control / restrict downloads to authorised devices.

I'm not excusing them, because they're definitely wrong to do it the way they are, but I think they see it as easier / cheaper to encrypt, store and allow transfers on a per console basis than having to come up with their own secure accounts system and DRM.

The one ray of light is that they are talking about allowing people to make purchases from a web-based version of the e-Shop... think about it, how can you do that without some kind of account system?

rpmurphy

SmokyDave said:
All I know is that I want to be able to buy a new 3DS, put my username and password in and then re-download everything and anything (digital) I've ever bought from a nice, easy to view transactions list. That's how it works with my PSP, iPhone, iPad, Xbox 360, PS3, PC (Steam) and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same from the newest games hardware on the market.
That would be good, but at the same time, I hate the fact that digital games carry no monetary value for me. I buy digital games on these platforms much less because of that reason. :(

NewFresh

TheNatural said:
I read the update blocks flashcarts too, is that true?

If so, that's some massive awesome trolling on Nintendo's part.

Every update so far has had some sort of piracy prevention bundled in. They probably will block flashcarts (The ones still usable anyway).

Nintendo is in the grips of a seriously bad case of Not-Invented-Here Syndrome, and unfortunately it's contagious to some of their more dedicated apostles. Nintendo have shown their ability to be a forward-thinking, innovative company -- with technologies and interfaces that they developed or popularized. Online functionality -- something they've been behind on for years now -- and other control elements that emerge from elsewhere in the ecosystem are huge problems for them, and they never get incorporated into their products in a holistic or valuable way as a result.

ClovingSteam said:
What? Are you SERIOUSLY trying to argue that people don't care about this? Fact is every single piece of competition for the 3DS has these features. It's inexcusable.
It's nice, and no doubt there are people who really want it, but I don't think the majority really care all that much about it.

sfried

radioheadrule83 said:
The one ray of light is that they are talking about allowing people to make purchases from a web-based version of the e-Shop... think about it, how can you do that without some kind of account system?
They did mentioned it would be implemented in an update after the November firmware, since the November one will use QR codes. So I think they're slowly but surely getting some system in place, most likely in time to tie-in with the Wii U's launch.
charlequin said:
Nintendo is in the grips of a seriously bad case of Not-Invented-Here Syndrome, and unfortunately it's contagious to some of their more dedicated apostles. Nintendo have shown their ability to be a forward-thinking, innovative company -- with technologies and interfaces that they developed or popularized. Online functionality -- something they've been behind on for years now -- and other control elements that emerge from elsewhere in the ecosystem are huge problems for them, and they never get incorporated into their products in a holistic or valuable way as a result.
Hey, I can definitely see the advantages of other company's implementations, seeing how I have both OnLive and Steam. That said, it feels like Nintendo always has to take a different approach from their competitors as a means to create a system that is exclusive to them. There have been many GAF discussions as to why and I don't feel like repeating them, but I guess it safe to say it is biting them hard on the ass, which is why this Wii U online proposal bit is interesting.

Of course, I'd hate it if they'd just let 3rd party online integrations get in the way of my enjoyment (like uPlay and their annoying Achievement notifications which for the life of me have been figuring how to shut off), but I'm pretty sure they want it to be there.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ClovingSteam said:
What? Are you SERIOUSLY trying to argue that people don't care about this? Fact is every single piece of competition for the 3DS has these features. It's inexcusable.
Owning almost 'every single piece of competition', I can say I don't really care about account system on 3ds, as I did not care about one on the wii. Yes, I see the potential advantages, but no, the lack of those has not impacted me one bit. The one time I've ever considered transferring older purchases to a newer device, nintendo already had that covered. That said, I'm not arguing people don't, or should not, care in general. I'm just giving an example of why somebody might be an active DD customer and still not care. Moreover, it's not like account systems bring only advantages. For instance, I've always been puzzled why such systems can't allow for use of credit cards without necessarily storing in the info. When the PSN security fiasco happened I was glad the one CC I had linked to my account had recently expired, and I never bothered to register another one. With nintendo this issue does not stand - I have a (device) wallet which I fill whichever way I like, including via a CC, and that makes no difference to the system.

NewFresh

charlequin said:

They have been behind and remain behind in their online strategy and functionality. But this is a step forward, though a shuffle forward would be more accurate. I wish they would have incorporated this had this built into the system from launch.

Also, could you clarify Not-Invented-Here. I'm not sure what you meant by it.

muu

If there's a way to join a friend's game, would only seem logical if that button changes to 'invite' if you access friends list whilst playing a game. Guess we'll know for sure when MK7 comes out.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So that is confirmed? Excellent!

Now I will add some more gaffers and keep SSF4, which I intended to sell.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Have they revealed any more info regarding this feature? Is It "join game session/lobby" or "launch the game they're playing"? how are they going to handle cart switching?

I haven't followed how it's going to be done on MK at all, but hope for a seamless and elegant integration.

peakish

beje said:
It's funny how this thread is only 2 pages long. If it was the contraty (no OS-level online interaction after the Nov. 22nd update) this thread would be like 50 pages of people "never buying Nintendo again" by now (like they ever did).
Geez, it's great that they're finally getting around to these features but catching up really isn't super comment worthy. Neglecting features on the other hand is.

blu said:
Owning almost 'every single piece of competition', I can say I don't really care about account system on 3ds, as I did not care about one on the wii. Yes, I see the potential advantages, but no, the lack of those has not impacted me one bit. The one time I've ever considered transferring older purchases to a newer device, nintendo already had that covered. That said, I'm not arguing people don't, or should not, care in general. I'm just giving an example of why somebody might be an active DD customer and still not care. Moreover, it's not like account systems bring only advantages. For instance, I've always been puzzled why such systems can't allow for use of credit cards without necessarily storing in the info. When the PSN security fiasco happened I was glad the one CC I had linked to my account had recently expired, and I never bothered to register another one. With nintendo this issue does not stand - I have a (device) wallet which I fill whichever way I like, including via a CC, and that makes no difference to the system.
There are more advantages to account systems than simply connecting all your purchases (though that is really nice to have). Like, say, keeping your friend list over several console systems and generations. For me it's about convenience, like that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ClovingSteam said:

There are two ways to care about something like this. The up-in-arms MY WORD personally-insulted argument on principle's sake, and the argument from someone who is regularly negatively impacted by the lack of the feature.

I guaran-fucking-tee that 90% of the people who chastise Nintendo for these items do not even ONCE find themselves in a situation where the lack of the feature actually affects them. No one is not buying hardware because of it, no one is cursing their system every day because it's not there. "It SHOULD be there, all the competitors do it" is an argument of rhetoric, not utility. You want a box checked, not an improved experience.

Me? I do not care. Or at least, I do not care NOW. I am not playing any online games on my 3DS. When Mario Kart comes out, I will, and I will care. And oh look, they are rolling out features in time for it, and doing all sorts of shit in the Mario Kart Channel.

So this faux-outrage about the lack of features that do not actually impact you needs to stop. If you think the scores of potential 3DS owners out there are scouring the net and being revolted by the lack of invites and accounts and the inclusion of friend codes and saying NO NINTENDO, NO, you are wildly deluded. They are saying "where is Mario Kart" and then Mario Kart will come out and they will say "oh there's Mario Kart" and they will buy it.

You know I am going to stop typing right now because I am DANGEROUSLY close to making a 99%/1% metaphor and I will have to kill myself if I do.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
They have been behind and remain behind in their online strategy and functionality. But this is a step forward, though a shuffle forward would be more accurate. I wish they would have incorporated this had this built into the system from launch.

Also, could you clarify Not-Invented-Here. I'm not sure what you meant by it.

Not-Invented-Here syndrome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Invented_Here

Nintendo actually acknowledged that they had been suffering from a bit of that in a recent Q&A, although Iwata used the phrase - "jimae-shugi". He was referring to Nintendo's propensity to try and do everything itself, which when it comes to tech / development processes its not familiar with - often means reinventing the wheel. He basically said the company now thought it would be okay, advisable even, to consult with outside partners in order to achieve aims and provide services that Nintendo customers want.

Somnid

peakish said:
There are more advantages to account systems than simply connecting all your purchases (though that is really nice to have). Like, say, keeping your friend list over several console systems and generations. For me it's about convenience, like that.

I've never liked the idea of a social account tied to a purchase account. I deal with it because that's what everyone does but it's bad design.

Yeah I'd prefer purchase and social accounts separate... however...

peakish said:
Like, say, keeping your friend list over several console systems and generations. For me it's about convenience, like that.

This is by far the most important benefit of account systems imo.

Persistent information and relationships. It almost certainly helped Xbox Live coming off the back of the original Xbox to 360, and I'm sure people will appreciate it going from PS3 to PSP or Vita. There are people who buy Xbox 360 versions of multiplatform games purely because that's where all of their friends are, and that's where they've always been.

sfried

radioheadrule83 said:
Nintendo actually acknowledged that they had been suffering from a bit of that in a recent Q&A, although Iwata used the phrase - "jimae-shugi". He was referring to Nintendo's propensity to try and do everything itself, which when it comes to tech / development processes its not familiar with - often means reinventing the wheel. He basically said the company now thought it would be okay, advisable even, to consult with outside partners in order to achieve aims and provide services that Nintendo customers want.
I think they're going to have to if they ought to grow as an entertainment company. That said, they have to expand their line of services from game development and publishing and that can be a rather tricky situation.
radioheadrule83 said:

Persistent information and relationships. It almost certainly helped Xbox Live coming off the back of the original Xbox to 360, and I'm sure people will appreciate it going from PS3 to PSP or Vita. There are people who buy Xbox 360 versions of multiplatform games purely because that's where all of their friends are, and that's where they've always been.
The point is that Nintendo already had established a persistent means of tracking data, even pre-Club Nintendo years. The problem is that it wasn't a worldwide infrastructure (or applied to all the other Nintendo branches). I think they seriously need to get started on that and make Club Nintendo a based standard account.

peakish

Somnid said:
I've never liked the idea of a social account tied to a purchase account. I deal with it because that's what everyone does but it's bad design.
Purchasing aside then, would unified friend lists be nice to have over systems? Especially with Nintendo having a stationary and a handheld console, you could notice some friends booting up Mario Kart 7 while you're playing something on the Wii and without problems pause your game and join them.

Somnid

peakish said:
Purchasing aside then, would unified friend lists be nice to have over systems? Especially with Nintendo having a stationary and a handheld console, you could notice some friends booting up Mario Kart 7 while you're playing something on the Wii and without problems pause your game and join them.

I think it'd be a good idea in general. If you're unifying, cross-system would be the most logical (sans street-pass type relationships that shouldn't persist like that). I doubt you'd ever get cross play working like that though.

TheNatural said:
I read the update blocks flashcarts too, is that true?

If so, that's some massive awesome trolling on Nintendo's part.

Why is this trolling exactly? I would assume it's in Nintendo's best interest to try to prevent as piracy as best as they possibly can.

peakish said:
What you have to put into consideration, is that Nintendo doesn't treat its handheld as a mini-size console, and so the game design philosophies are usually very different. Even if a Wii U version of MK was released with the 3DS version at the same time, I really doubt them being similar to each other.

Sakurai has specifically mentioned this distinction with two versions of smash bros on 3DS and Wii U.

That is, Nintendo will never put the same game on the console and the handheld. Even NSMB Wii was strongly focused on Multiplayer unlike its DS version.

peakish

walking fiend said:
What you have to put into consideration, is that Nintendo doesn't treat its handheld as a mini-size console, and so the game design philosophies are usually very different. Even if a Wii U version of MK was released with the 3DS version at the same time, I really doubt them being similar to each other.

Sakurai has specifically mentioned this distinction with two versions of smash bros on 3DS and Wii U.
Oh I'm not thinking about cross play between the console, just a notification alerting you that you can pick up your system and join them :p

radioheadrule83 said:

Require you to enter your friend code and credit card information every time you place an order?

I'd like to believe it'll be better than that, and I'm hopeful that Wii U will launch with a proper account-based system. But as you describe, there are some very significant technical hurdles to retroactively implementing such a system on 3DS, so I'm not getting my hopes up for now. Maybe for other online features like friend lists, though.

radioheadrule83 said:

This is also the biggest hurdle Nintendo is going to face going forward, regardless of how good or bad their future online systems are. By waiting such a long time to jump in they're going to have to convince people why they should start entirely new communities on their system after spending years with either Xbox Live, PSN or Steam.

I'm sure there are a ton of gamers than split their time between different online communities but I've already run into issues where I made decisions on which game to buy (or bought multiple copies of the same game) based on which system my friends I'd like to play with were. Now Nintendo's trying to start another from scratch when they'd probably be better off tying themselves to Steam if they can.

Tathanen said:
There are two ways to care about something like this. The up-in-arms MY WORD personally-insulted argument on principle's sake, and the argument from someone who is regularly negatively impacted by the lack of the feature.

I guaran-fucking-tee that 90% of the people who chastise Nintendo for these items do not even ONCE find themselves in a situation where the lack of the feature actually affects them. No one is not buying hardware because of it, no one is cursing their system every day because it's not there. "It SHOULD be there, all the competitors do it" is an argument of rhetoric, not utility. You want a box checked, not an improved experience.

Me? I do not care. Or at least, I do not care NOW. I am not playing any online games on my 3DS. When Mario Kart comes out, I will, and I will care. And oh look, they are rolling out features in time for it, and doing all sorts of shit in the Mario Kart Channel.

So this faux-outrage about the lack of features that do not actually impact you needs to stop. If you think the scores of potential 3DS owners out there are scouring the net and being revolted by the lack of invites and accounts and the inclusion of friend codes and saying NO NINTENDO, NO, you are wildly deluded. They are saying "where is Mario Kart" and then Mario Kart will come out and they will say "oh there's Mario Kart" and they will buy it.

You know I am going to stop typing right now because I am DANGEROUSLY close to making a 99%/1% metaphor and I will have to kill myself if I do.
You're excusing Nintendo from not having a feature that others have had for years. A basic feature. Bravo sir, bravo.

sakipon

ClovingSteam said:
You're excusing Nintendo from not having a feature that others have had for years.
That's exactly was Tathanen was saying. "B-but all the other kids have it!!" isn't a valid reason if you never actually need the feature yourself.

Some of us actually appreciate Nintendo going their own ways instead of blindly copying everything MS or Sony do.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ClovingSteam said:
You're excusing Nintendo from not having a feature that others have had for years. A basic feature. Bravo sir, bravo.

So you are clearly identifying yourself in group 1 then. Great job.

I am not excusing a damn thing. I am saying I don't GIVE a shit. I am sick of infants on the internet not being able to stop from running their mouths about shit that doesn't affect them at all. Going on and on and on at every opportunity because the flow in a piece of video game software is not as Perfectly Optimal as it could possibly be. Precious seconds, lost forever!

When I pick up my 3DS I am focused on enjoying the software on it, not fixated in an OCD manner on what bullet points are missing from utilities I use for 4 seconds once every 6 months. The amount of time spent righteously complaining about these things on the internet is several orders of magnitude larger than the time lost to managing sub-optimal game invite interfaces.

Christ, "excusing" Nintendo, like any of us are in a position to "excuse" them from doing a god damned thing. The self-importance in these posts is staggering.

marc^o^

Having an account system is a must, and hopefully it's in the work. I would say so, looking at the catch up Nintendo has been showing lately regarding online features :)

Tobor

SmokyDave said:
Same here, and I'm not purchasing any more Nintendo products until they get there. It's the absolute minimum for a modern platform.

Saint Gregory said:
This is also the biggest hurdle Nintendo is going to face going forward, regardless of how good or bad their future online systems are. By waiting such a long time to jump in they're going to have to convince people why they should start entirely new communities on their system after spending years with either Xbox Live, PSN or Steam.

I'm sure there are a ton of gamers than split their time between different online communities but I've already run into issues where I made decisions on which game to buy (or bought multiple copies of the same game) based on which system my friends I'd like to play with were. Now Nintendo's trying to start another from scratch when they'd probably be better off tying themselves to Steam if they can.

Nailed it. This is a very substantial part of why I'm extremely pessimistic about Wii U being able to make substantial inroads into the existing Western core market.

Tathanen said:
So you are clearly identifying yourself in group 1 then. Great job.

I am not excusing a damn thing. I am saying I don't GIVE a shit. I am sick of infants on the internet not being able to stop from running their mouths about shit that doesn't affect them at all. Going on and on and on at every opportunity because the flow in a piece of video game software is not as Perfectly Optimal as it could possibly be. Precious seconds, lost forever!

When I pick up my 3DS I am focused on enjoying the software on it, not fixated in an OCD manner on what bullet points are missing from utilities I use for 4 seconds once every 6 months. The amount of time spent righteously complaining about these things on the internet is several orders of magnitude larger than the time lost to managing sub-optimal game invite interfaces.

Christ, "excusing" Nintendo, like any of us are in a position to "excuse" them from doing a god damned thing. The self-importance in these posts is staggering.

lol at you getting so upset over a discussion on video games.

Also, we're not talking friend requests, BRO. We're talking losing purchases we've made when we go from one system to another, something the competition allows.

sakipon said:
That's exactly was Tathanen was saying. "B-but all the other kids have it!!" isn't a valid reason if you never actually need the feature yourself.

Some of us actually appreciate Nintendo going their own ways instead of blindly copying everything MS or Sony do.

Copying? We're talking account systems here. Ways for us to not lose purchases we made. Yea, really missing the forest for the trees. And yes, I HAVE been impacted with this mess. Going from the DSi to the 3DS. Retailers give you more credit when you're trading in a system and using that trade in towards another then just selling it to them.

We're not talking about copying how Microsoft advertises Xbox live. We're not talking about how Sony has the PSN for videos. We're talking BASIC features that should be there from day 1. But hey, keep on making excuses.

peakish

marc^o^ said:
Having an account system is a must, and hopefully it's in the work. I would say so, looking at the catch up Nintendo has been showing lately regarding online features :)
Yes, it seems promising and I'm hoping for the best :)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ClovingSteam said:
lol at you getting so upset over a discussion on video games.

Also, we're not talking friend requests, BRO. We're talking losing purchases we've made when we go from one system to another, something the competition allows.

What? I was talking about a lot of things, BRO. If you wanted to talk about losing purchases between systems, you should have quoted something specific.

Besides, the 3DS transfer process coming in the next firmware update lets you transfer purchases from one 3DS system to another. So what exactly are you bitching about? "Wah wah it is sub-optimal." It's not Nintendo's fault that you couldn't persuade the retailer to give you 10 minutes to transfer your data off your DSi, you knew how the process worked.

I get "upset" when I talk to people with idiotic rhetoric. The subject matter is irrelevant, we could be talking about Thundercats for all I care.

Tathanen said:
What? I was talking about a lot of things, BRO. If you wanted to talk about losing purchases between systems, you should have quoted something specific.

Besides, the 3DS transfer process coming in the next firmware update lets you transfer purchases from one 3DS system to another. So what exactly are you bitching about? "Wah wah it is sub-optimal." It's not Nintendo's fault that you couldn't persuade the retailer to give you 10 minutes to transfer your data off your DSi, you knew how the process worked.

I get "upset" when I talk to people with idiotic rhetoric. The subject matter is irrelevant, we could be talking about Thundercats for all I care.

Oooooo, lets you transfer from one 3DS to another? You mean like, going from the DSi to the 3DS? WOW, truly impressive steps being made here.

So... they haven't improved AT ALL since the 3DS was released... yay?

PSP? how many years ago did they implement the feature?
Xbox 360? How many years ago?
PS3? On release?
iPhone/ iTunes? How long ago?

Nintendo says You can transfer your purchases from one system to another... as long as you have both systems on hand and the crowd (err, you at least) goes wild.

blu

peakish said:
Sure, it'd be nice. For instance, I'd love to have my gmail contact list, filtered through the appropriate tag, of course, appear on all my consoles/handhelds/mobiles automagically, as that's my actual friends list through which my e-village friendships transpire, and those people, just like me, might have multiple handhelds/consoles/gadgets we could virtually mingle on. But no, instead I get 'PSN friends', 'Wii friends', '3DS friends', 'Steam friends' and god-knows-what-other-kinds-of-friends and not a single entertainment platform vendor in the world actually offers me what I want. No, wait, nintendo actually allowed sending wii messages to email addresses. Hey look, of all possible vendors nintendo sort of demonstrated some resemblance of addressing my needs! ; )

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ClovingSteam said:
Oooooo, lets you transfer from one 3DS to another? You mean like, going from the DSi to the 3DS? WOW, truly impressive steps being made here.

So... they haven't improved AT ALL since the 3DS was released... yay?

PSP? how many years ago did they implement the feature?
Xbox 360? How many years ago?
PS3? On release?
iPhone/ iTunes? How long ago?

Nintendo says You can transfer your purchases from one system to another... as long as you have both systems on hand and the crowd (err, you at least) goes wild.

I have never argued that these things couldn't be better, I am not "going wild" for anything here. I have argued exclusively against the disproportionate response people have to them. That the one-time DSi to 3DS transfer is still something anyone would talk about boggles my fucking mind. They better improve it so your next DSi to 3DS transfer works better, yeah? You do that every couple days, right?

Your complaint is that you had a system with software on it that you gave away to a strange man behind a counter. The mechanisms exist, you could have moved your shit from one system to the other. But you fucked up. Better blame Nintendo for it for the rest of your life.

These infrastructure things are SO FAR from the POINT of these machines. The 3DS could have launched with literally NO FIRMWARE and this amount of bitching would still be disproportionate. This is not discussion about the playing of games, this is dick-waving about what little electronic box has the best mechanism for the transfer of data between purchases. It is so far from relevance that I don't even know how to process it. If THIS is what really matters to you about these systems, if THESE are the things you will complain about so endlessly, just quit the hobby outright. The 3DS firmware exists to launch the game you want to play. Anything else is just fluff.

Tathanen said:
I have never argued that these things couldn't be better, I am not "going wild" for anything here. I have argued exclusively against the disproportionate response people have to them. That the one-time DSi to 3DS transfer is still something anyone would talk about boggles my fucking mind. They better improve it so your next DSi to 3DS transfer works better, yeah? You do that every couple days, right?

Your complaint is that you had a system with software on it that you gave away to a strange man behind a counter. The mechanisms exist, you could have moved your shit from one system to the other. But you fucked up. Better blame Nintendo for it for the rest of your life.

These infrastructure things are SO FAR from the POINT of these machines. The 3DS could have launched with literally NO FIRMWARE and this amount of bitching would still be disproportionate. This is not discussion about the playing of games, this is dick-waving about what little electronic box has the best mechanism for the transfer of data between purchases. It is so far from relevance that I don't even know how to process it. If THIS is what really matters to you about these systems, if THESE are the things you will complain about so endlessly, just quit the hobby outright. The 3DS firmware exists to launch the game you want to play. Anything else is just fluff.

And the PC is just there to type documents on. Well, that is until competition and consumer expectation demanded that it become much more than that. Competition breeds progress. Those that refuse to progress and meet expectation die. You're supporting a mindset that has gotten Nintendo to where it currently is: a state where its investors and consumers are demanding more; a state in which its sales have fallen off a cliff. Thankfully you're not running Nintendo or else they wouldn't have even implemented an online multiplayer system at all. You represent the dinosaurs at Nintendo who thankfully are being pushed aside for progress. Congratulations, friend, for your kind is no longer wanted.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, but do we know now if it works with old games even? XD
Has anyone tried yet?
I'm very curious about it.
Not so confident that it can work also with old games, but I'm still curious.

Somnid

Mpl90 said:
Has anyone tried yet?

Doesn't. Games have to support it. It's on the firmware notes on NCL's website.

blu

Mpl90 said:
Has anyone tried yet?
Some gaffers in the 3DL thread were planning to do experiments with Tetris Axis. Dunno if that occured.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Somnid said:
Doesn't. Games have to support it. It's on the firmware notes on NCL's website.

Link.
And what is it said in general?

marc^o^

Good question, I assumed SSF4 would work but it has not been confirmed. Nintendo is launching a great feature without any kind of explanation. The Nintendo way.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ClovingSteam said:
And the PC is just there to type documents on. Well, that is until competition and consumer expectation demanded that it become much more than that. Competition breeds progress. Those that refuse to progress and meet expectation die. You're supporting a mindset that has gotten Nintendo to where it currently is: a state where its investors and consumers are demanding more; a state in which its sales have fallen off a cliff. Thankfully you're not running Nintendo or else they wouldn't have even implemented an online multiplayer system at all. You represent the dinosaurs at Nintendo who thankfully are being pushed aside for progress. Congratulations, friend, for your kind is no longer wanted.

Haha are you a real person. Do you really think the words that you type here. Are you rehearsing for a play maybe.

I am not trying to run Nintendo. You are missing the point. The point is that NONE OF US RUN NINTENDO. I am not an analyst, I am not a strategist, I am a guy playing video games on his 3DS. This problem solving for infrastructure, this analysis of what mechanisms are most optimal, it is none of my concern.

I am a CONSUMER. YOU are a consumer. When I use this device I accept what its feature set is, and I play the games on it. When Nintendo says it's making the firmware better, I say "oh boy" and am glad about it. What I do NOT do is spend my days wringing my hands in distress, furious that software still requires two systems in order to transfer it.

I am posting on GAF. I am not writing an industry editorial, I am not sending a proposal to Nintendo's engineers for what software paradigms should be respected in this day and age. I am just a guy who likes playing video games, and has literally zero expectations for his "electronic handheld experience."

If you want to spend your days irritated about firmware feature sets, be my guest. But I do not "represent" anyone at Nintendo, because I am not talking about what they "should do." I am talking about how I, as a consumer, most healthily enjoy my games and products. It involves accepting what they are, and working within their systems. Every system in history has been sub-optimal, there is always something that can be better, but if all I did was think about those things, I would be a miserable human being and I probably would have killed myself a decade ago. So I do what every member of humanity has done for eons: I work within the system I'm given.

You want to change the system? You want to shape these firmwares, these ideas? Get a job in the industry. Otherwise, you're just harshing my fucking buzz.

Top Bottom