• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS reserves start December 26th.

Lkr

if Nintendo includes pictochat on the system, AGAIN, it had better have internet capabilities this time around. I remember back when NWFC launched, people were hoping for a pictochat 2.0 update for online, etc. What really irks me is how Nintendo thought of it as a selling point for the system when it did nothing. Check out this promo pic:
official-nintendo-ds-launch-details-20040920103245559-000.jpg

Why the HELL, would someone sitting right next to someone else write out a message when they could just ask them? It isn't like they are texting someone down the street - they are sitting right next to each other. A friend of mine was really excited when we got DSs because he lived 3 houses down. We thought pictochat would work. Just like the pointless GBA wireless Pokemon system, it didn't work! It still irritates me to this day!

Lkr said:
Why the HELL, would someone sitting right next to someone else write out a message when they could just ask them? It isn't like they are texting someone down the street - they are sitting right next to each other.
The feature was obviously targeted to kids at school. Within a classroom a couple kids could text each other with their DS's.

Lkr

Dreamwriter said:
The feature was obviously targeted to kids at school. Within a classroom a couple kids could text each other with their DS's.
I don't know what kind of school(at least in the US, could be different internationally) lets kids have DSs at school. Most high schools don't even let kids have cell phones out in school, let alone a video game system:lol

Boney

Banned
Lkr said:
I don't know what kind of school(at least in the US, could be different internationally) lets kids have DSs at school. Most high schools don't even let kids have cell phones out in school, let alone a video game system:lol
Man, I have fond memories of playing my DS at class. We often held Tetris touneys at Spanish with DS swapping all over the room :lol

ombz

Lkr said:
At my high school electronics are not allowed but it depends on the teacher

Especially back in 2004 when the DS came out - cell phones weren't nearly as common in school then, and a lot of kids took their game systems to school for playing at lunch and between classes and stuff. It was all up to the teacher whether to allow them or not.

Mofo

Lkr said:
if Nintendo includes pictochat on the system, AGAIN, it had better have internet capabilities this time around. I remember back when NWFC launched, people were hoping for a pictochat 2.0 update for online, etc. What really irks me is how Nintendo thought of it as a selling point for the system when it did nothing. Check out this promo pic:
official-nintendo-ds-launch-details-20040920103245559-000.jpg

Why the HELL, would someone sitting right next to someone else write out a message when they could just ask them? It isn't like they are texting someone down the street - they are sitting right next to each other. A friend of mine was really excited when we got DSs because he lived 3 houses down. We thought pictochat would work. Just like the pointless GBA wireless Pokemon system, it didn't work! It still irritates me to this day!

This reminds me of a random story that I wish I had pics for...

Did you know that when the Nintendo DS launched in the US there was anti-Bush picto chat image posted all over DS demo end caps in retail? This was over five years ago now, but it said something like "Bush suxs".

They were out in retail for almost a year and it would crack me up every time I had to switch out demo units (I used to be a Nintendo Service Rep).

Of course, Nintendo's old sales and marketing team were almost all vocal democratic party supporters. Remember the Bush Brain Age/DS stunt?

Just a random thought...

JayDubya said:
It seems really weird to preorder something when you have no idea how much it is going to cost.

I guess 99% of those who preordered it would buy it whatever the price so..

oh, Happy New Year GAF. May this 2011 be awesome and full of gaming pleasures

I didn't want to make a new thread for this but I figured this would finally make people happy to know that the system release is 100% set for March. Just told by Nintendo at a meeting for RMs. We got to see a couple of promos too, it feels like the old days. It's more focused on the games and the wow factor of 3D rather than it being a kids toy.

FoneBone

Deadly Monk said:
I didn't want to make a new thread for this but I figured this would finally make people happy to know that the system release is 100% set for March. Just told by Nintendo at a meeting for RMs. We got to see a couple of promos too, it feels like the old days. It's more focused on the games and the wow factor of 3D rather than it being a kids toy.
If you're talking about the US, we knew that from NoA's press release yesterday.

Anything new in the promos? That you can talk about, anyway.

Deadly Monk said:
Oh, you.

Lkr said:

At my high school the last 30 minutes of the day resulted in a group of us gathering in the back of the room and playing Mario Kart and Pokemon. That's probably why I loved Algebra so much :lol

Top Bottom