• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS sales reach 11.5 million US, Nintendo calls system a "powerhouse"

Nintendo has now sold more than 11.5 million "3DS family" units in the United States alone, the company announced today. Worldwide, Nintendo has sold more than 34.98 million systems, meaning the U.S. market makes up about one-third of all sales. Importantly, Nintendo counts 3DS XL and the 2DS as part of the "3DS family."

Gamers also bought a record number of 3DS games in 2013, Nintendo said. The company sold over 16 million combined packaged and digital 3DS games last year in North America, an increase of 45 percent compared to 2012.

On a worldwide basis, Nintendo has sold more than 122 million 3DS games."Nintendo 3DS is a powerhouse with games and experiences that appeal to all kinds of players," Nintendo of America marketing executive Scott Moffitt said.

Moffitt added that the "best days" of the 3DS are still to come in 2014 and beyond.
Gamespot

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Someone should alert Gamestop that the 34.98 is the total shipment amount up to September 30th, 2013. Not the worldwide total updated to December. Thanks XD

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Only 35 million sold worldwide so far ? Thought they already had shipped around 45 million.

idlewild_

mclem

Importantly, Nintendo counts 3DS XL and the 2DS as part of the "3DS family."
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that comes across as kinda snarky to me; I'd expect it to be implicit that the systems that play 3DS games are all considered the same when talking about sales figures, but them explicitly commenting on that sounds a little - to me - like they're trying to make people mentally link that to the "Playstation family" PR from a while back, where Sony was conflating *all* Sony systems in their numbers.

3DS was already making a turn around at this point in it's life... I love Nintendo... but my Wii U hasn't been turned on except to do Wii Fit in many months...
I'd recommend NES Remix. Not to imply "And therefore the Wii U is just fine!", but it *is* a rather fun game.

3DS was already making a turn around at this point in it's life... I love Nintendo... but my Wii U hasn't been turned on except to do Wii Fit in many months...
Turning the WiiU requires a lot more, hopefully Nintendo's land property expansion translates to more team expansion.

Someone should alert Gamestop that the 34.98 is the total shipment amount up to September 30th, 2013. Not the worldwide total updated to December. Thanks XD

Gamespot by the way, not Gamestop :p

And wow, that's pretty good total. I added a +1 this Black Friday with my 3DS XL from Target. I currently only have Pokemon X and Zelda, but looking to get a few more games soon.

Even I bought one. The $150 Target deal was too good to pass up.

Same here! That coupled with my 15% discount there and it was a great get. I just wish I got the Zelda bundle for that price...the lady in front of me had the last one -.-.

Koppai

I hope Nintendo seeing this momentum starts announcing release dates like crazy. So far we have Yoshi's New Island on March 14th and Disney Magic Castle on April 11th. There's also Bravely Default's NA release and some One Piece game coming.

Gimme that Layton vs Wright date and some more JP game localization announcements :)

I've contributed to at least 5 3DS system purchases from the US alone :3 (2 last year...Pikachu & XY Red)

Considering that the system is already slowly declining in Japan, 2013 was probably the peak year in US and 2014 will be its peak year in Europe. So, at the end of its life cycle the handheld will be lucky to top GBA's 80 millions. It's not particularly amazing, but still good.

Tell that to the DS that was still a powerhouse well into 2012. 8 years on the market :3

Cygnus X-1

Considering that the system is already slowly declining in Japan, 2013 was probably the peak year in US and 2014 will be its peak year in Europe. So, at the end of its life cycle the handheld will be lucky to top GBA's 80 millions. It's not particularly amazing, but still good.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
34.98 is a figure from like October so I'd expect it to probably be over at least 40 mill by now what with the 2DS and all.

I'm still not convinced it can double to 80 though...

Baki

Worldwide Breakdown
Japan: 15m
USA: 11.5m
Others: unknown >8.5m

EDIT: It seems as though the worldwide figured are from 30th September 2013.

Very interesting to note that Japan accounts for sognificant share of worldwide 3DS systems which rises to probably a greater than 65% share if you include the USA. The decline in the US and other territories really highlights why the 3DS is tracking significantly behind the DS. Nintendo really need to address the slow down in other markets. They can't just rely on Japan.

fred

Many months..? Does that mean you've missed out on Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World..? If so you should buy them all and switch the thing on mate, you've missed out on some real top quality gaming.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that comes across as kinda snarky to me; I'd expect it to be implicit that the systems that play 3DS games are all considered the same when talking about sales figures, but them explicitly commenting on that sounds a little - to me - like they're trying to make people mentally link that to the "Playstation family" PR from a while back, where Sony was conflating *all* Sony systems in their numbers.

I'd recommend NES Remix. Not to imply "And therefore the Wii U is just fine!", but it *is* a rather fun game.

It is being snarky isn't it, the 3DS/XL and 2DS are all versions of the same console, so theres no need to say "importantly etc etc"
This is like them posting PS3 sells X millions world wide, but importantly sony considers the Ps3 Slim and PS3 super slim as part of the figures
intentionally worded badly imho to just be snarky

Worldwide Breakdown
Japan: 15m (42%)
USA: 11.5m (32%)
Others: 8.5m (26%)

Very interesting to note that Japan accounts for 42% if worldwide 3DS systems which rises to 74% if you include the USA. The decline in the US and other territories really highlights why the 3DS is tracking significantly behind the DS. The system is doing phenomenal in Japan and is comparable to the DS.

You are mixing up an old shipment figure with up to date sell through figures. Don't do that.

McHuj

Same here! That coupled with my 15% discount there and it was a great get. I just wish I got the Zelda bundle for that price...the lady in front of me had the last one -.-.

That one was long gone when I tried. Luckily, Gamespot was doing the great +30% trade program so I was able to pick Zelda up for free by trading in Killzone SF (than's Sony for your used game policy).

Jinko

Powerhouse is going a little far don't ya think ?

How is this in comparison to DS at the same point in its life cycle ?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

TBF it likely would have beaten last year had they released 2DS in Japan also (though it would have made this year even more barren)

Baki

You are mixing up an old shipment figure with up to date sell through figures. Don't do that.

Oh yes, I just saw. So the US and Japan are up to date figures are sell through.

But the worldwide shipment isn't. Why did they issue such a confusing press release haha.

So like 3.4 attach rate. I wonder how many of the three games people buy are Nintendo games on average.

MK7, Pokemon, SM3DL/NSMBU2 and one in two buy another game.

Oh yes, I just saw. So the US and Japan are up to date figures are sell through.

But the worldwide shipment isn't. Why did they issue such a confusing press release haha.

They didn't. Gamespot are just idiots. The Nintendo PR only references the 11.5m figure, Gamespot then decided to compare that to the old shipment figure.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It's not in the press release. Gamespot (not Gamestop, silly me XD) added it in their article because...

krumble

Many months.. Guess you didn't pick up Mario 3d world, unless 7 weeks is considered many months now?
Will admit last purchase was nes remix and 3DS gets most play at the moment, but WiiU does have games at this point..

Log4Girlz

How is it tracking behind DS? GBA?

Does anyone have sales charts comparing the three?

Edit: I only have this old one, doesn't show sales by year. I'm not even sure the source, so take with giant grain of salt.

pIZ8cfl.png

fred

3D World?

Yup, already pointed that out above. And 'many months' says to me as many as 4 or 5 months so he's probably missed out on Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 too. I can understand someone not using their console that much during the huge software drought last year, but to continue to do so when the quality software is released is a bit daft imo.

Top Bottom