• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS unboxing photos - 6 of AR card Revealed~(Interesting)

DarkWish said:
So basically it's like this...

AR Game #1: Target Shooting
- Uses the ? Card
- Shoot targets that appear; move around in real space to hit them

AR Game #2: Star Viewer
- Uses any AR Card
- Pose static figures of various Nintendo characters (or Mii's if you use the ? Card) and take photos

AR Games #3-6 are unknown.

EDIT: Wait... APZonerunner, since you have a 3DS, could you tell us what the other AR Games are? Or are you not allowed to say?

Two are the Mii Viewer and the Star Viewer. There's also the "Shooting" and one that's called, er... Targets? Something like that. I forget without checking, and right now I'm on my laptop downstairs, but... it's basically a Billiards style game. It warps the 'terrain', puts obstacles in your way, and then you're positioned behind a ball. You move around the ball to aim, and hit A to hit the ball - you have to try to hit a target that is around/past the things in your way.

There are two more, but when I was playing today for a couple of hours with the AR games stuff but the two other boxes (the furthest left) both just say "???" - I imagine if I complete all the different levels of the other things they might unlock or something. Will investigate tomorrow, of course.

seady

Hopefully the AR cards will do better than this:

ecard1.jpg

I thought it was really cool back in the days. But Nintendo fail to push it further than a gimmick for Pokemon, NES games and Animal Crossing.

Londa

Banned
Even tho the e-reader was cool, they didn't go any further than a few games and nes stuff. I hope AR is a success because I think it would be cool to make card collecting more popular outside of pokemon, etc.

Nessus

seady said:
Hopefully the AR cards will do better than this:

ecard1.jpg

I thought it was really cool back in the days. But Nintendo fail to push it further than a gimmick for Pokemon, NES games and Animal Crossing.

Super Mario Advance 4 (Mario 3) on GBA had about 30 brand new Nintendo-developed levels enabled by the e-Reader. The levels included elements from Mario 2 (like being able to pick up turnips or dig in sand), Mario World (the cape item from Mario World), and Super Mario Bros. but in Mario 3.

The levels were ridiculously hard; you can find save states online that include all the levels loaded into the save file.

DarkWish

APZonerunner said:
Two are the Mii Viewer and the Star Viewer. There's also the "Shooting" and one that's called, er... Targets? Something like that. I forget without checking, and right now I'm on my laptop downstairs, but... it's basically a Billiards style game. It warps the 'terrain', puts obstacles in your way, and then you're positioned behind a ball. You move around the ball to aim, and hit A to hit the ball - you have to try to hit a target that is around/past the things in your way.

There are two more, but when I was playing today for a couple of hours with the AR games stuff but the two other boxes (the furthest left) both just say "???" - I imagine if I complete all the different levels of the other things they might unlock or something. Will investigate tomorrow, of course.
Awesome, thanks!

LyR

Banned
trudderham said:
OH GOD, what version of Windows are they using in the first picture?!!!!!

xp/vista/7 classic theme (turns aero off in vista/7 for performance, I use it on my win7 netbook)

APZonerunner said:
There's also a program which lets you do the same. All those cards do is bring Samus, Kirby, Mario etc out into the world. Again - static statues, and you can change their pose with the fact buttons. You can also take pictures. I managed to get all the cards/characters to appear at once, which I thought was quite cool. There's some cool sound effects from their games when the characters appear, too.

So, that's what they do. The character cards aren't games, but the character card bit - I think it's called "Star Viewer" - is one of the 'six' AR games.
Humm, might be fun to make lil stories with the pics I guess. Sounds kinda lame right now though.

Linkup

Top down RC racing and AR soccer on my table sounds cool, but I would want them as extra AR games to go along with the typical content. I don't expect full AR games to work all that well similar to the "uses your mp3s to make a game!" stuff.

Linkup said:
Top down RC racing and AR soccer on my table sounds cool, but I would want them as extra AR games to go along with the typical content. I don't expect full AR games to work all that well similar to the "uses your mp3s to make a game!" stuff.

I think that full AR games would be great on the eShop.

matmanx1

AR is very, very cool but even more so when it's well animated like that Nintendogs demonstration. That's the kind of AR stuff that hopefully Nintendo will be focusing on going forward and much less of that static statue type which is far less impressive.

Teknoman

heringer said:
I wonder if we could see Square-Enix selling AR cards of Dragon Quest monsters in Japan. Like a Yugioh thing. They would obviously have to sell the game separately, but that wouldn't be a problem.

Am I tripping too much?

I dont care, that would be amazingly awesome.

Gravijah said:
Must find one of those save states...

I got them (there are two) if you want them. But at least the one I have is missing one level, that speed-run one that you get from an ultra-rare card. Forgot how it's called.

The levels are great. They should put them on DSiWare/3DSWare.

Jackano

Of course there is zero data within the cards itself, so the AR games actually are digital content that needs the cards... Kind of strange and unseen distribution process.

Now I'm thinking, in the way of "something, everyday, for everyone" that Iwata loves, the final five AR games can be released throught SpotPass one by one within the weeks following the system launch.

Like with the Wii, we got several channels quickly after launch and it was pretty good (free) surprises to us. I think Nintendo will continue in this direction with the 3DS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
marc^o^ said:
So is it confirmed 3DS can display several characters from AR cards at once?

sounds like it - the comments from APZonerunner said he had all the character cards with their 'statues' shown at once. so its tracking all six cards. Although the ? block is the only one that launches the AR app, clearly the 3DS is treating the other cards like AR cards but only for data.

Hmm, that must mean that as well as simply shape/profile tracking for orientation/angle, those cards must have differentiating features so the 3DS knows which character to show on which card. The character images themselves are surely too detailed?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
remember the AR game demo which put pictures on balls that why towards you and you had to basically shoot your own face or something? That might be one.

can't see thse AR games being much more than casual quickie games sadly. you certainly couldn't have say an entire pikmin game on your table unless it was a completely clear table, or maybe part of the game could be you physically have to clear objects out of the way in reality too?

taking pictures of the characters might actually be really fun for kids, I can see my sister digging that.

kaizoku said:
remember the AR game demo which put pictures on balls that why towards you and you had to basically shoot your own face or something? That might be one.

can't see thse AR games being much more than casual quickie games sadly. you certainly couldn't have say an entire pikmin game on your table unless it was a completely clear table, or maybe part of the game could be you physically have to clear objects out of the way in reality too?

taking pictures of the characters might actually be really fun for kids, I can see my sister digging that.

Face Raiders is built into the system and doesn't require any cards to function. You start the game by taking a picture of your own face or someone elses.

The AR Games were by far one of the most popular things on show at the recent event in the UK I attended. Novelty or not - it's going to be one of the things that drives word of mouth, I've no doubt of that.

ant1532

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Face Raiders is built into the system and doesn't require any cards to function. You start the game by taking a picture of your own face or someone elses.

The AR Games were by far one of the most popular things on show at the recent event in the UK I attended. Novelty or not - it's going to be one of the things that drives word of mouth, I've no doubt of that.
DUDE NEW RADIOHEAD SONG CAME OUT. http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Just had a thought....

What if you used this to take a 3D photo of another 3DS running a 3D game?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gahiggidy said:
Just had a thought....

What if you used this to take a 3D photo of another 3DS running a 3D game?

it pops up a little Mii version of xhibit on your kitchen table.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Just had another thought...

As cool as these AR games are, it begs for a "goggles" implementation. Put the 3D camera on the rim of a visor and you could totally sell the virutal reality experience to the player. Virtual reality has always had the problem of how do you let the user move around without bumping into stuff? With this use of AR, you can still keep the real word but just lay down these marker cards around your room/house and then the game would spawn creatures and targets at the point of the various markers.

I imagine a home version of a light-gun game would be quite doable with today's technology. (Resident Evil: Home Invasion anyone?) Couple the goggles with an actual infrared pointer enabled controller that the camera can pick up and then its just a matter of firing away at the spawned zombies until the little speaker in your ear tells you to advance to the next marker.

Tell me, am I misunderstanding what this tech can do? Or is what I described a real possibility?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Quoting a UK poster from another forum:
pointed it at a pikmin card and loads of them popped up and started running around it looked amazing.
Anyone else could confirm this? We previously read they were just statues.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Wouldn't surprise me if there was to be loads of AR variations packaged in. A handful of 3 minute games you'll probably rarely play and some poseable statues jut seems a bit sparse for Nintendo - particularly if its being positioned as the 3DS' Wii Sports. Literally makes or breaks the system.

Gahiggidy said:
Just had another thought...

As cool as these AR games are, it begs for a "goggles" implementation. Put the 3D camera on the rim of a visor and you could totally sell the virutal reality experience to the player. Virtual reality has always had the problem of how do you let the user move around without bumping into stuff? With this use of AR, you can still keep the real word but just lay down these marker cards around your room/house and then the game would spawn creatures and targets at the point of the various markers.

I imagine a home version of a light-gun game would be quite doable with today's technology. (Resident Evil: Home Invasion anyone?) Couple the goggles with an actual infrared pointer enabled controller that the camera can pick up and then its just a matter of firing away at the spawned zombies until the little speaker in your ear tells you to advance to the next marker.

Tell me, am I misunderstanding what this tech can do? Or is what I described a real possibility?

the 3ds doesnt know how your enviroment is... it would need something like kinect to map the room

Starchasing said:
the 3ds doesnt know how your enviroment is... it would need something like kinect to map the room

It does seem to be able to recognize changes in environment, though.
So if you have a cup on a table, it will treat the cup as a wall.

Starchasing said:

It can detect distance from a target, the first AR Games game shows you on screen how many CM you are away from the AR card, all the system needs is obviously a reference point -- so mapping out orientation and distance would be possible, but I don't think it would be able to track actual objects and shapes in the room or anything.

AceBandage said:
It does seem to be able to recognize changes in environment, though.
So if you have a cup on a table, it will treat the cup as a wall.

Maybe a cup, but can it map a whole room? as i understand Kinect uses 2 RGB cameras and and infrared camera

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Starchasing said:
Maybe a cup, but can it map a whole room? as i understand Kinect uses 2 RGB cameras and and infrared camera
Nah, it won't. I'm guessing it does some edge detection for things like cups and tables.

Starchasing said:

don't go overboard it won't detect a whole room a cup a pencil a hand its mostly using software to do this just like the facial thing the make a Mii thing does

its not so powerful it just works well enough to be fun.

this is what most people should understand about Nintendo tech. Nintendo does not push to out gun other companies they use tech that can help them create fun new software does not have to be the most advanced stuff out there but just enough to create the next big hit

Smiles and Cries said:
don't go overboard it won't detect a whole room a cup a pencil a hand its mostly using software to do this just like the facial thing the make a Mii thing does

its not so powerful it just works well enough to be fun.

this is what most people should understand about Nintendo tech. Nintendo does not push to out gun other companies they use tech that can help them create fun new software does not have to be the most advanced stuff out there but just enough to create the next big hit

I know i know :) i was just refering to the comment on Resident Evil Home Invasion

Top Bottom