• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS "under review" (temp not being sold direct) at Amazon [Up: Under Review Again]

Fantastical

Death Prophet
When you go to Amazon's 3DS page you are greeted with an "Item Under Review" message.
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

What exactly is this? As the notice mentions, you can still order the system on the website, but Amazon isn't selling it themselves (right now the default seller is Target. It could be nothing and just a mistake on Amazon's part, I've just never seen this message before.

EDIT: Just saw a big 3DS thread in which it was mentioned that the problem may be with the smudges created on the top screen when the system is closed.

Update:

TheBez said:
Talked with an Amazon rep and this is what he said:

The reason why this is under a review :
The flip-screen is loose when its opened, please inform them that Nintendo has confirmed as long as the upper screen locks into place, the unit is within Nintendo’s design specification. Customers can call 1-800-255-3700

He also gave me this link to use for further help

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ts_system.jsp?menu=housing and hinge

Update 2:

Fantastical said:
Still not in stock. What's up?

EDIT: Looks like same as July
The statement on the page reads: "While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!) We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-withdr...d_dp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B002I096AA

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Maybe sideline commentators and armchair analysts were right all along; the 3DS is dying :(

I don't think Amazon would stop selling an item because of a design flaw with possible scratches.

What does seem likely is that the description does not give enough warnings about using 3D mode for young children. Parents see warnings on, say, the box when they actually receive the item and complain that they bought a gift for their kid when it says on the box they shouldn't use it (fundamentally misunderstanding the warning, but hey).

I imagine this will probably be resolved in the morning because I doubt Nintendo wants their system to not be sold through Amazon and they surely do not want speculation about why it's not being sold.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's more likely that a shipment Amazon was drawing from had a widespread defect and they were getting too many returns. I've seen the same message pop up for certain DVD sets, some of them only weeks old.

Unicorn

Lunchbox said:
i heard it kills your eyes
After finally trying it out at a gamestop, playing for five minutes, then trying to focus on real life... This seems entirely plausible.

228909_Is_this_real_life.jpg

Fantastical

Death Prophet
ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think Amazon would stop selling an item because of a design flaw with possible scratches.
It would be possible if Amazon were getting a lot of users trying to return their systems, but it is probably like you said.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Its the worst piece of hardware Nintendo has ever shipped, so I'm not surprised they're reviewing what is likely a crazy amount of valid returns.

_woLf

Interesting, probably as said because of the screen scratching problem....I still don't know how they didn't get that in the testing.

B.K.

_woLf said:
Interesting, probably as said because of the screen scratching problem....I still don't know how they didn't get that in the testing.

You're probably giving them too much credit by assuming they tested the hardware.

Xater

Oh wow.

Has to be a technical thing though. I doubt this would happen because of the problems people have with the 3D. Although I think those concerns are valid. Even I had trouble with dizzyness and headaches with the 3D not even up all the way. I am really not a fan of this screen.

Rehynn

EatChildren said:
Its the worst piece of hardware Nintendo has ever shipped, so I'm not surprised they're reviewing what is likely a crazy amount of valid returns.

I was gonna say something but then I realized that I agree.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
JesseZao said:
Only affecting the black one it seems.
Weird. When you search "3DS" on Amazon and click the Cosmo Black, then you click the "Aqua Blue", it says that warning for both products.

When I click Aqua Blue after searching 3DS I can't even change to Cosmo Black.

pje122

EatChildren said:
You think its worse than the Virtual Boy...?

I've actually been meaning to call Nintendo about my screen getting scratched by the lower screen. Has anyone heard how they have handled people with the same issue and how good Nintendo is with turnaround time?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
EatChildren said:
Worse than the VB? Really?

JesseZao

Fantastical said:
Weird. When you search "3DS" on Amazon and click the Cosmo Black, then you click the "Aqua Blue", it says that warning for both products.

When I click Aqua Blue after searching 3DS I can't even change to Cosmo Black.

I'm not seeing the warning, but it looks like amazon is selling the blue one and target is the seller for the black one. At least from my searching using links on their page.

Edit: I went back and searched "3DS" like you said, and now the warning pops up for each one. Strange. Only shows up when you search.

Top Bottom