• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS "under review" (temp not being sold direct) at Amazon [Up: Under Review Again]

Majine

Banned
Grimmy said:
Worst Nintendo hardware ever? Even worse than the original GBA? That is really saying something...
What was bad about the OG GBA? No backlit but... I loved that thing.

[Nintex]

Grimmy said:
Worst Nintendo hardware ever? Even worse than the original GBA? That is really saying something...
Nintendo's most shitty piece of hardware ever is Wii Speak it's just useless junk.

I honestly can't believe Nintendo allowed this to happen, hardware-issues wise. They need to fix the design flaw, release needed games and drop the price ASAP. Otherwise I can easily see this cluster of events snowballing into a situation that follows the 3DS forever. Third parties aren't piling on board as it is, and Nintendo needs to contain these issues sooner rather than later.

[Nintex]

24FrameDaVinci said:
Are we witnessing another "shocking" GAF moment? Let's read on...
Just wait untill Nintendo releases their first quarter earnings release later this week. They haven't sold shit.

tim.mbp

I'm guessing it's the original firmware that's to blame. People probably aren't updating or reading the notice on the Amazon page.

A system software update has been released that improves the stability and connectivity of the Nintendo 3DS console. To perform the update: Select "System Settings" from the HOME Menu. Then select "Other Settings." Last, scroll to the right and select "System Update."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
24FrameDaVinci said:
Are we witnessing another "shocking" GAF moment? Let's read on...

Maybe...or maybe not!
I hope they solve this issue immediatly,or it will start affecting the public consideration about the console

daffy

Banned
TheExplodingHead said:
I honestly can't believe Nintendo allowed this to happen, hardware-issues wise. They need to fix the design flaw, release needed games and drop the price ASAP. Otherwise I can easily see this cluster of events snowballing into a situation that follows the 3DS forever. Third parties aren't piling on board as it is, and Nintendo needs to contain these issues sooner rather than later.
There are no hardware issues. There's one flaw in design. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Gravijah

What were some of the hardware faults of the Virtual Boy?

TheExplodingHead said:

There are already (supposedly) fixes in the wild.

FTH said:
There are no hardware issues. There's one flaw in design. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

With all due respect, if I'm paying $250 for a handheld I don't appreciate having a screen scratched, when using it as directed. Under any circumstances. And hopefully I am making a mountain out of a molehill. But I personally won't be picking up a 3DS until I hear the console doesn't cut itself.

Man

I have the upper screen scratches from the mismanufacturing/hilariously bad base design. And I never have faults with my consoles!

Also, it took time off collecting dust to rape my family.

Peagles

This is certainly interesting... I wonder if it is due to the screen scratches. I'm disappointed about that, but all the more glad I put a full Hori cover on it day one...

GavinGT

Banned
My guess is that Amazon wasn't selling a ton of 3DS hardware, but were getting a disproportionate number of complaints due to the screen scratching. Rather than selling a few more low-margin 3DS systems and risking bad word of mouth for the entire company, they decided to temporarily stop selling them until Nintendo sorts it out.

Gaspode_T

Gravijah said:
What were some of the hardware faults of the Virtual Boy?

There are already (supposedly) fixes in the wild.

Speaking as someone that actually bought Virtual Boy when it was released - it did give me headaches back then and basically felt like playing games that are being zapped straight into your eyeballs, It had some cool games and sound was not bad but I definitely remember regretting buying that one.

3DS is probably not as far off of Nintendo's intended track as GAF would have you believe, the long term success probably depends more upon how well it does versus Vita in Japan and where some franchises like DQ and Monster Hunter land.

Fredrik

Unicorn said:
After finally trying it out at a gamestop, playing for five minutes, then trying to focus on real life... This seems entirely plausible.
Do you have an eye disorder of some kind?

I had a problem like that with cross eyed stereoscopic images, after a 20 minute session looking at images and youtube movies, crosseyed, it took about 5 minutes before I could focus on something in real life with both eyes open, I had to close one eye to see cleary.

But I have zero problems with that on the 3DS. And it should be like that foe everyone else too unless you have a problem with your eyes, which will make you strain your eyes in rhe same way as with cross eyed images, I guess.

I do get ache in my neck though when gaming on the 3DS for several hours, probably because you have to hold your head and the console in a fixed pisition to not lose the 3D effect. It's a bummer. But the battery only lasts for about 4 hours anyway so I'm resting between the charges. :/

tim.mbp said:
I'm guessing it's the original firmware that's to blame. People probably aren't updating or reading the notice on the Amazon page.

A system software update has been released that improves the stability and connectivity of the Nintendo 3DS console. To perform the update: Select "System Settings" from the HOME Menu. Then select "Other Settings." Last, scroll to the right and select "System Update."

This annoyed me when the update came out.

I was sitting there all week expecting it to tell me there was a new update to download.
Instead after some research i realized I had to go into the settings and along to the end panel to check for updates manually.

Really not good enough if they want plebs like me to use their online store.

Don't worry, Imagination Technologies PowerVR 6 equipped mobile devices will kill portables no matter what Nintendo does.

hint: PowerVR 6 = PS3/360 equivalent visuals coming to smartphones, tablets, and set top boxes 2H 12.

Tegra 4 isn't sounding too bad either.

daffy

Banned
TheExplodingHead said:
With all due respect, if I'm paying $250 for a handheld I don't appreciate having a screen scratched, when using it as directed. Under any circumstances. And hopefully I am making a mountain out of a molehill. But I personally won't be picking up a 3DS until I hear the console doesn't cut itself.
Well I understand this but you can't necessarily call that one flaw issues of hardware due to personal preference. If you use your 3DS as directed (ie playing it) you won't have to worry about scratching it.

The flaw is already fixed in newer models apparently so, yeah. They even offer free solution, I personally care enough to where I don't need that.

Besides the battery life, I have no issues with the 3ds, what's with all the gnashing of teeth?

I've been enjoying Pilotwings, Dead or Alive, Links awakening, Donkey Kong 94, Pokemon Black and some other games and applications. Have none of you bought a launch console in your lives? There is nothing wrong with the games we have at the moment.
Do you spend every waking moment pining for new software and speeding through what you do have?

There is some mass insanity going on. Is it impossible to judge what kind of games you like before you purchase? Not only are there impressions on GAF you can pull from but reviews as well. If nothing interests you on a platform, why buy it and complain about your personal expectations not being met?

JWong said:
Maybe it's the screen scratching problem.
this..
maybe they had a lot of warranty/refund claim on this one and are currently holding new items till nintendo whisper 'em something in the ear :L

Fantastical

Death Prophet
east of eastside said:
Don't worry, Imagination Technologies PowerVR 6 equipped mobile devices will kill portables no matter what Nintendo does.

hint: PowerVR 6 = PS3/360 equivalent visuals coming to smartphones, tablets, and set top boxes 2H 12.

Tegra 4 isn't sounding too bad either.
But will they run Pokemon?

FTH said:
Well I understand this but you can't necessarily call that one flaw issues of hardware due to personal preference. If you use your 3DS as directed (ie playing it) you won't have to worry about scratching it.

The flaw is already fixed in newer models apparently so, yeah. They even offer free solution, I personally care enough to where I don't need that.

Fair enough, good to hear it's fixed in newer models. My only other issue is lack of games, but that'll probably be satisfied when Kid Icarus comes out (granted it's any good).

Fredrik

Personally I'd say that the worst thing about the 3DS is that you can't use it outdoors a sunny day unless you're sitting in some heavy shadows. I tried gaming on the balcony but it's impossible to see anything, the only thing you see is yourself, it's like a mirror.

Which in my case has made it a portable which is only used indoors. I'm just sitting in the sofa, in the gaming room, which means that I could just as easily play on the PS3 instead. :/

Luckily for Nintendo Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D is better than anything I have on the PS3, otherwise it would probably just collect dust.

[Nintex]

Fredrik said:
Personally I'd say that the worst thing about the 3DS is that you can't use it outdoors a sunny day unless you're sitting in some heavy shadows. I tried gaming on the balcony but it's impossible to see anything, the only thing you see is yourself, it's like a mirror.

Which in my case has made it a portable which is only used indoors. I'm just sitting in the sofa, in the gaming room, which means that I could just as easily play on the PS3 instead. :/

Luckily for Nintendo Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D is better than anything I have on the PS3, otherwise it would probably just collect dust.
That's a problem with all devices I think, even the Super AMOLED+ on my Galaxy S2 is quite useless in the sun.

Incitemaybe said:
Besides the battery life, I have no issues with the 3ds, what's with all the gnashing of teeth?

I've been enjoying Pilotwings, Dead or Alive, Links awakening, Donkey Kong 94, Pokemon Black and some other games and applications. Have none of you bought a launch console in your lives? There is nothing wrong with the games we have at the moment.
Do you spend every waking moment pining for new software and speeding through what you do have?
If you live in Europe and don't have a credit card(and that's quite common in Europe) you weren't able to buy these untill last friday when the pre-paid eShop cards finally came out.

Duxxy3

Peagles said:
This is certainly interesting... I wonder if it is due to the screen scratches. I'm disappointed about that, but all the more glad I put a full Hori cover on it day one...

It will scratch your screen protector just as easily.

daffy

Banned
TheExplodingHead said:
Fair enough, good to hear it's fixed in newer models. My only other issue is lack of games, but that'll probably be satisfied when Kid Icarus comes out (granted it's any good).
There's a really strong buildup starting next month, imo. All a matter of preference of course.

Fredrik

[Nintex] said:
That's a problem with all devices I think, even the Super AMOLED+ on my Galaxy S2 is quite useless in the sun.
Are you sure? I'm using my iPhone quite often outside, I haven't compared it to the the 3DS side by side though but I can't remember it being this bad. But maybe it is, I need to check it today, I'll do a side by side comparison.

[Nintex]

Fredrik said:
Are you sure? I'm using my iPhone quite often outside, I haven't compared it to the the 3DS side by side though but I can't remember it being this bad. But maybe it is, I need to check it today, I'll do a side by side comparison.
I think Apple uses IPS screens and those should perform better outside than LED.

SmokyDave

FTH said:

Oh this got me good. I'm chuckling like a schoolgirl huffing nitrous.

Top Bottom