• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Guys 1UP 3/13/10 - David Ellis' last show

Benjamin1981 said:
Man, NGai really knows how to take out the energy of a podcast.

I haven't listened to this ep yet, but I totally agree. N'Gai basically overstates every point, makes you feel that everyone else in the podcast is taking a break to check their fingernails and is about as much fun as dying at the wheel of a school bus.

Out Of The Game need to change recording dates and not tell that dude, and then it might be a fun podcast if they ever make another one.

Quasar

POWERSPHERE said:
I haven't listened to this ep yet, but I totally agree. N'Gai basically overstates every point, makes you feel that everyone else in the podcast is taking a break to check their fingernails and is about as much fun as dying at the wheel of a school bus.

Out Of The Game need to change recording dates and not tell that dude, and then it might be a fun podcast if they ever make another one.

Well they'd lose me as a listener, but then I've always really liked N'Gai and felt that he was the most interesting guy out there in games journalism.

Though speaking of Out of the Game, has the Irrational Games podcast basically killed it?

Quasar said:
Well they'd lose me as a listener, but then I've always really liked N'Gai and felt that he was the most interesting guy out there in games journalism.

Though speaking of Out of the Game, has the Irrational Games podcast basically killed it?

Yeah, he's just shit at podcasting. Dead fish.

As for OotG, I hope it hasn't, but I think it has...

voltron

Fuck you N'Gai haters. I like the energy he brings to the group.

And yeah would love to know whether OoTG is still happenin.

mujun

Was awesome hearing Shane get owned so many times :lol

Shane : "I like Ratchet, I like Resistance..."
Mark : "You play a lot of Resistance Shane?"
Shane : "Ah, no but I play a lot of Ratchet..."

Empty

N'Gai might ramble too long but the guy regularly has interesting perspectives. I love what he brings to the podcast, screw the haters.

john tv said:
Totally agreed -- I had kind of forgotten this, but the thing I really loved about the old 1UP Yours eps was how awesome the arguments were. :) This ep has it in prime form in that last 40 mins or so.

That's what people who never listened to 1UY missed, it was a great cast of characters, who were good friends, loved videogames, and smart enough to make intelligent arguments. And when all else failed got drunk and had a good time. It's a dynamic that can't be faked, and few podcasts have been able to match the cast of characters they had here.

Can't wait for Davidson to get on iTunes and Garnett to start confirming the weekends again.

Tobor

Thank goodness. The March 5 show was horrible, that indy guy was just awful. Good to see David ending with an epic cast.

Empty said:
N'Gai might ramble too long but the guy regularly has interesting perspectives. I love what he brings to the podcast, screw the haters.

This.

Man, this really reminds me of the final 1UP Yours. I went back and read that thread, that was so funny. Trying to find out Shane's GAF username:lol

I did enjoy Shane, Jeremy and N'Gai on the podcast. Wish they were on more before this episode.

I know I may get some flack for this but I will not miss David "Big Fun" Ellis. I liked him more when he just spoke here and there on 1up Yours but when he took over after Garnett left, the podcast became "meh." 4G1U always felt like a lackluster spin-off of 1up Yours and not the successor. David is very pessimistic, over critical and lacks the "it" factor that generates a great radio personality. I hope he becomes more humble in his judgement when he moves over to development. Almost every journalist that switched over to the development part of the business admits that some of the comments they made were uncalled for and off based.

I guess my overall critique with David, and most critics, is that they judge games from a way too critical POV. Your average consumers, and even hardcore gamers,don't look as harsh at games. The overall thing people want to know is how fun the game is and how long can I expect to enjoy it. I do agree that opinions are like butts, everyone has one but when you're speaking in a public forum like a podcast, you shouldn't let your personal biases create your comments to come out as cheap shots of why you don't like something. When you make comments like that, people start to view you as a fanboy and discredits your POV on anything outside your favorite game, system, genre,etc,.

I do wish David good luck with his new position and I hope the new podcast 1up creates will live up to the old 1UP days.

Kamal007

Neo Member
N'gai is awesome on pod-casts. I do agree that sometimes his points are far too long-winded and monotone though.

I want another Ootg podcast already. How long has it been?

Great show, glad to hear no man tears. Not that they weren't heartfelt and touching on previous final podcasts, but just that it would feel like they were going through the motions. A 1up leavers ritual, if you will, which would have been a disservice to the man leaving the building this time.

It had a little of everything and ended on a high with the Heavy Rain, God of War game talk. There was a good collection of people on that show, and many of them need to be on podcasts regularly. It's a shame that for a lot of them, their professional obligations and personal schedules make it so difficult to get them all in the same room at the same time. But it does make it special when it happens now.

Hopefully Weekend Confirmed can get a whole new crew of interesting personalities talking about the games of the moment and brighten up our free time once again.

EDIT: I like N'Gai on any podcast. He brings up a perspective I don't often think about in gaming. I'm not talking about race, I mean he comes at games from a more literary perspective and talks about elements within the gaming world that don't always draw attention to themselves. I loved Out of The Game, and I'd like to see it return.

Guv_Bubbs

Banned
mujun said:
Was awesome hearing Shane get owned so many times :lol

Shane : "I like Ratchet, I like Resistance..."
Mark : "You play a lot of Resistance Shane?"
Shane : "Ah, no but I play a lot of Ratchet..."

Classic :lol

Akia

It just makes so much sense that Garnett drives a Porsche now. I loved all the potshots taken in the Heavy Rain segment. I wish John could've stayed on longer.

Great podcast.

Akia said:
It just makes so much sense that Garnett drives a Porsche now. I loved all the potshots taken in the Heavy Rain segment. I wish John could've stayed on longer.

Great podcast.

Gamefly money must be good.

After listening to this, i hope Garnett gets these guys together at least two-three times a year for an epic show. Still the best podcast crew.

Holy shit, this is going to be my first 1Up podcast since the olden days of Brodeo/1Up Yours, pre-UGO takeover. The cast list is just TOO SOLID.

Penguin

Captain N said:
wait..he is saying you need 5 pieces to get Move to work. That's the same for the Wii with Motion Plus.

This isn't true though, you get pretty much all you need in the box aside from WMP.

If you want Move, other than the console, you'd have to get everything else separate.

V_Ben

Banned
Penguin said:
This isn't true though, you get pretty much all you need in the box aside from WMP.

If you want Move, other than the console, you'd have to get everything else separate.

or just buy the bundle.

jagowar

Benjamin1981 said:
Gamefly money must be good.

After listening to this, i hope Garnett gets these guys together at least two-three times a year for an epic show. Still the best podcast crew.

I hope they do as well.... do a yearly mega podcast (gotta add luke to the mix as well though.... the banter between him and shane was always hilarious).

The best moment was them talking about the 360 outselling the wii and shane came in with his classic "the ps3 was out of stock everywhere" line and everybody in the room busted out laughing. That's the stuff I miss.

Penguin

V_Ben said:
or just buy the bundle.

Which is still buying a bunch of pieces, and I could be mistaken but is there a bundle that comes with two ball controllers, subcontroller and the camera?

Penguin said:

When he said 5 pieces of hardware I think he was including everything.

1. Console
2. Camera
3. Move waggle wand
4. Official Sony Playstation Move Subcontrols for the Sony Playstation 3
5. Sixaxis / Dual Shock 3

(though there may be some crossover between 4 and 5 if they still let you hold the regular controllers in one hand instead of the subcontroller; they did constantly mention it was "optional")

For the Wii it gets complicated depending on what you inlucde. I mean, you can say:

1. Console
2. Sensor Bar
3. Wii Remote
4. Nunchuck
5. Motion Plus

or even stretch it more and add in the classic controller and things like that. Bigger problem is that, lets say Resistance 3 uses the the Move for the main controls. To play Resistance 2 on the same system, you would need to pick up an entirely different controller to play. Or what if they even do what Wii Sports Resort does by having some games require the nunchuck and others not. Imagine a mini-game collection where some games require two Move wands, or one, or one and a sub-controller. THIS IS TOO CONFUSING.

milkham

Ngai said that asian characters are over represented in games by 30% according to a slide he saw in a panel...
I'm just wondering what games have asians in them besides Chinatown Wars and Mirror's edge.

Penguin

Linkzg said:
When he said 5 pieces of hardware I think he was including everything.

1. Console
2. Camera
3. Move waggle wand
4. Official Sony Playstation Move Subcontrols for the Sony Playstation 3
5. Sixaxis / Dual Shock 3

(though there may be some crossover between 4 and 5 if they still let you hold the regular controllers in one hand instead of the subcontroller; they did constantly mention it was "optional")

For the Wii it gets complicated depending on what you inlucde. I mean, you can say:

1. Console
2. Sensor Bar
3. Wii Remote
4. Nunchuck
5. Motion Plus

or even stretch it more and add in the classic controller and things like that. Bigger problem is that, lets say Resistance 3 uses the the Move for the main controls. To play Resistance 2 on the same system, you would need to pick up an entirely different controller to play. Or what if they even do what Wii Sports Resort does by having some games require the nunchuck and others not. Imagine a mini-game collection where some games require two Move wands, or one, or one and a sub-controller. THIS IS TOO CONFUSING.

No, I think they mention that he was talking about the two balls, subcontroller, camera and the system..

Since some games use two balls or one ball and subcontroller.

Yopis

I dont mind Ngai being on he has a good view on things somtimes.Don't know why this guy generates so much hate.

Tutomos

Yopis said:
I dont mind Ngai being on he has a good view on things somtimes.Don't know why this guy generates so much hate.

The guy reads a lot, therefore he is pretentious. That is the only GAF logic I can deduct.

Igo

I was really enjoying the N'Gai discussion until it got to Heavy Rain. The discussion completely devolved the moment David mentioned how his opinion of the game was in contrast with that of a developer. Given that the dev liked the narrative element of the game, it could still have been saved had someone mentioned the possible influence Heavy Rain might have on devs using more diverse themes in future games. That seemed to be where N'Gai was heading anyway. Just thought that was a bit of a shame.

Dead Man Typing said:
EDIT: I like N'Gai on any podcast. He brings up a perspective I don't often think about in gaming. I'm not talking about race, I mean he comes at games from a more literary perspective and talks about elements within the gaming world that don't always draw attention to themselves. I loved Out of The Game, and I'd like to see it return.
Quoted for Agreement

Good farewell episode. Kinda bittersweet all over again, because it's fucking great hearing the gang together. :'(

I really do think with Ellis gone I'm done with 1up completely now. Before there was always a few reasons to stay, and I really respect what everyone has done since the big lay-offs, but now I can think of no reason to stay subscribed to their podcast feeds or keep reading their site.

N'gai is an interesting fella, but I agree he doesn't fit in that well on this podcast. I love listening to his mad rants for 20 minutes on OOTG, but here I like the fast pace and emotional debates.

Great podcast. I skipped a couple sections here and there, like the GOW3 talk at the end. I hope they can get more podcasts of the crew together.

Just some random thoughts about what poeple here are talking about:

Ngai: people defend him by saying "hurr, stupid people don't like that he uses big words" while those against him kinda justify those comments. I think he has good ideas but can be a bit much. There is so much that the crux of what he says is lost. If he made a podcast like what Robery Ashley or Shawn Elliot do with the heavy editing, that could be great. So, seems like a good guy but just comes off a bit formal on a podcast with drunk people yelling towards the end.

David Ellis: Seems like another good guy. Was fine with him as part of the 1up podcast crew back during the Garnett, though, I never listened to 4 guys 1up much (this was maybe the fourth episode I've listened to). As a host he reminds me a bit of Jimmy Fallon, and as awful as that comparison sounds, I don't mean it as a negative. I mean more that there seems to be a lot of hard work put into the product and that is admirable but also kinda lacks the strong personality of the old crew. I'm trying to make it seem more positive because reading this it sounds like I'm being mean but that isn't my intention!

FrankT

jagowar said:
I hope they do as well.... do a yearly mega podcast (gotta add luke to the mix as well though.... the banter between him and shane was always hilarious).

The best moment was them talking about the 360 outselling the wii and shane came in with his classic "the ps3 was out of stock everywhere" line and everybody in the room busted out laughing. That's the stuff I miss.

Haha, that is some old school kind of stuff going down. Worth a listen this time I suppose. It's been awhile.

Mafro

Brobzoid said:
what was it? I haven't had time to listen yet.

It's at around 31:50. He says something like "hopefully she doesn't have any sparks ahead or time" when N'gai mentions a panel he attended that she was a part of.

Thank you Garnett Lee for bringing a little life and FUN into this week's podcast. No offense to David, but it was starting to all end on a sour note, and Garnett had to twist his arm just to talk about games. That's why I was never a big fan of 4G1U, no "What 'cha been playin" segment, which was always the thing I looked forward to hearing on 1UY. I can understand David wanting to do something different on his own damn show, but it wasn't as fun to listen to. And this week's show was a perfect example. Once they started talking about games, it became fun again.

Top Bottom