• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4090s back in stock. Just purchased one. I'm sick to my stomach

Jigsaah

Gold Member
In a moment of weakness I spotted a MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio for $1649.99. 50 bucks over MSRP. I couldn't stop myself from clicking on it. Look at the product description, thought of the power, and could not contain myself.

After purchasing I went straight to youtube reviewing all the comparison videos trying to muster up some modicum of justification for what I just did to my bank account.

"I already have a 3080 do I really need this."

No, of course I don't. I game fine on my current rig.

I make this thread not to brag or throw it people's face. I come for support. I come to discuss the pro's and cons and to hear any advice you folks might have.

Am I a fool or am I officially a premium gaming enthusiast who should just say fuck it, YOLO and be thankful that I actually have the ability to do this. Could I have spent the 1700+ dollars better.

Bills are paid, food on the table, no kids to speak of. What do you guys think?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I went from a 3080 to a 4090 and do not regret it at all. Play Cyberpunk with DLSS 3 and psycho ray tracing and you’ll see how big of an upgrade it is. I couldn’t turn ray tracing on at all with the 3080. Easily holding 4k/120 with everything maxed now.

Last edited:
In a moment of weakness I spotted a MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio for $1649.99. 50 bucks over MSRP. I couldn't stop myself from clicking on it. Look at the product description, thought of the power, and could not contain myself.

After purchasing I went straight to youtube reviewing all the comparison videos trying to muster up some modicum of justification for what I just did to my bank account.

I make this thread not to brag or throw it people's face. I come for support. I come to discuss the pro's and cons and to hear any advice you folks might have.

Am I a fool or am I officially a premium gaming enthusiast who should just say fuck it, YOLO and be thankful that I actually have the ability to do this. Could I have spent the 1700+ dollars better.

If you're using a 4k 120hz OLED then you NEED a 4090 for uktra settings. I have a LG OLED and my 4080 doesn't quite cut it so I run a lower custom resolution....all that said, if you are buying this to use with anything less than 4k 120, you have in fact wasted your money.

nikos

The 4090 absolutely shits on the 3080. Depending on the rest of your specs, and resolution, prepare to get used to super sampling everything because you have enough power to do so. Sell your 3080 to offset the cost and it's not that bad.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The 4090 absolutely shits on the 3080. Depending on the rest of your specs, and resolution, prepare to get used to super sampling everything because you have enough power to do so. Sell your 3080 to offset the cost and it's not that bad.
Yea I'm gonna sell the 3080 once the card comes in and I test it, make sure it doesn't boil the power cable.

If you're too concerned about money maybe the 4070TI or a 7900XTX would be a smarter choice. The 4090 is a best of a card tho.

I bet in 2.5 years or so the 5070TI will match the 4090 but for half the price.

Fuz

Banned
nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

Ellery

Honestly I don't think you are a fool. It is a great GPU, the best out there by a gigantic margin, and even factoring in price/perf it isn't any worse than the other ones. The price is high, but so is the performance.

In the end it is up to you, what resolution you play it, how much graphically demanding PC games you actually play etc.

On a personal level I don't buy a 4090 because I am still on a 1440p monitor, my CPU would heavily bottleneck the 4090 (I currently have a AMD RYZEN 3700X), there are basically no good PC games out there that require a 4090 and the card do be really expensive.

petricore

Neo Member
Well if you are in Europe you can return it within 14 days. You can resell your 3080 to recoup some of the money... Or maybe resell it on ebay at higher price scalpel like if you feel particularly evil

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well if you are in Europe you can return it within 14 days. You can resell your 3080 to recoup some of the money... Or maybe resell it on ebay at higher price scalpel like if you feel particularly evil
I'm in the US. Stock seems to be leveling out just like NVidia said it would. If folks are interested you could probably get one right now.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

I purchased a 4070ti which everyone is shitting on.

Guess what? I love it. It's miles better than the 3070 I had, DLSS 3.0 is awesome, and I'm having a blast.

I'm fairly positive you'll love your 4090 as well. Haters gonna hate.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
One important piece of the puzzle that we're missing: What are the rest of the specs for the system this is going in?

flying_sq

I have a 3090 ti, waiting for the 4090 ti before I figure out which one I will buy. I used to hold on to a card for at least two or three generations and could never afford the best. Life has been good to me and I have worked hard to not have to care about a random 2k purchase. But saying that, buy from a Micro Center and get the warranty. It's pretty much a free GPU every generation.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
enjoy it, people can judge you for how you spend your money but at the end of the day its your cash and you should use it on what makes you happy

Jigsaah

Gold Member
One important piece of the puzzle that we're missing: What are the rest of the specs for the system this is going in?
So right now. I had a 5800x running with my 3080. Currently gaming at 1440p with good results. I do plan on upgrading the cpu at some point, but maybe once prices come down a bit for the mobos and ddr5. From what I've researched, at 4k, the 4090 won't bottleneck, but at 1440p it likely will with this CPU.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This actually may be the right ime for such a purchase as some big games are about to come out. Takes away t he sting for sure.

I know just how the OP feels.

I was wiping my backside on gold bars wrapped in $50 bills and decided, on a whim, to buy diamond encrusted gold bars wrapped in $100 bills to wipe my backside with.

I've had a difficult month, what with the bill coming through for my three private jets at the same time my two Bugattis arrived and needing paying for.

But, I'm not trying to garner sympathy, honest...and I'm not trying to flex, before anyone says that.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean, I'd you have the money what's the problem?
The 4090ti/Titan is coming, so you'll have a Jurassic piece of outdated trash technology in a couple of months, however, I'll help you not carry that weight and let you gift your 4090 to me when the time comes.
LOL! there's no shot I'm buying a 4090ti. I'll deal with my dinosaur fossil of a GPU til the 60 series comes out. I was just about to ask you if you wanted it later on. All you gotta do is pay shipping.

Shipping is $1700

StormCell

I too saw them in stock yesterday and impulse purchased the MSI Suprim 4090. Dropped about $3000 on a new build yesterday...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The only reason what you did was "wrong" is that you supported Nvidia when they are pushing a product that is far, FAR overpriced. When people buy their overpriced products, that makes Nvidia think that it's okay to keep overpricing their products. Beyond that downside, enjoy it.
I know...and I agree. I listened to youtubers who kept telling me that if your gonna go 40 series, it's the best value. No shot I was gonna go with the 4080 at $12-1300. It was Nvidia's plan all along and I fell for it. Hard. I'm swearing off buying GPUs for until 60 series.

I too saw them in stock yesterday and impulse purchased the MSI Suprim 4090. Dropped about $3000 on a new build yesterday...
SO I'm not alone!? Congratulations man. I think yours is like a step better than mine. What did you get for a CPU?

Last edited:
Top Bottom