• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4090s back in stock. Just purchased one. I'm sick to my stomach

AdamTank83

Neo Member
It's your life. Live how you want. If it makes you happy, like you said, "YOLO!" I would of waited to pay msrp or less though. I'd rather not pay more then msrp for anything. That's me though. Congrats I guess. Enjoy. Don't worry over it though, you only have one life. Stress takes a lot out of it. Don't do that. It's not worth it. My 2 cents.

GHG

Gold Member
Welcome to the club. Even going from a 3080 it will be a significant upgrade. Just make sure your CPU and PSU are up to the task.

I went from a 2070 super and was like this during my 1st week of playing:

Happy Hugh Jackman GIF

I had a chance to get a 4070 ti last night.
I told myself to wait and see what 5080 / ti delivers.
Currently with a 2060 super, so the upgrade for me will be big.

You'll be waiting until mid-late 2024. Up to you though of course, the 2060 super is still more than capable.

Last edited:
As crazy as that sounds, I have yet to regret my purchase of a 4090. That fucker was expensive as hell, so time will tell if I'll regret it eventually or not. I'm always looking at the cost per month for the lifetime of that card in my rig.

Danknugz

In a moment of weakness I spotted a MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio for $1649.99. 50 bucks over MSRP. I couldn't stop myself from clicking on it. Look at the product description, thought of the power, and could not contain myself.

After purchasing I went straight to youtube reviewing all the comparison videos trying to muster up some modicum of justification for what I just did to my bank account.

"I already have a 3080 do I really need this."

No, of course I don't. I game fine on my current rig.

I make this thread not to brag or throw it people's face. I come for support. I come to discuss the pro's and cons and to hear any advice you folks might have.

Am I a fool or am I officially a premium gaming enthusiast who should just say fuck it, YOLO and be thankful that I actually have the ability to do this. Could I have spent the 1700+ dollars better.

Bills are paid, food on the table, no kids to speak of. What do you guys think?
nice move, but try and sell the 3080 and take some off the price

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If you can afford it and if it makes you happy, then sure. Buy it, keep it, enjoy it.

Personally, I'd not spend $1,700 for marginal visual improvements on games that I can already play and will still be playing after the upgrade.

Rea

Congrats and enjoy man, I too bought a beefy build afew weeks ago. Let's Fuck those ultra max 4k Raytracing together.

StormCell

I know...and I agree. I listened to youtubers who kept telling me that if your gonna go 40 series, it's the best value. No shot I was gonna go with the 4080 at $12-1300. It was Nvidia's plan all along and I fell for it. Hard. I'm swearing off buying GPUs for until 60 series.

SO I'm not alone!? Congratulations man. I think yours is like a step better than mine. What did you get for a CPU?
I've got a Ryzen 5800x a friend is giving me, so I built around that CPU. Seems like a really good CPU and if for some reason I need something even better I'll only need to replace motherboard and RAM.

draliko

if the bills are set, then enjoy it, i've spent way more money on mtbs and skis so fire up that bitch and play some rt goodness :D

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm a little concerned about the bit where it made you sick to your stomach.
I just never spent this much on a single component for my PC. I was happy to pay $975 for my 3080 from Microcenter a couple of years back. This one just hit different.

TVexperto

return the card. wait for price drop end of march. dude you could buy so many things with that money instead

Jigsaah

Gold Member
return the card. wait for price drop end of march. dude you could buy so many things with that money instead
What kinda price drops we talkin here?

I've got a Ryzen 5800x a friend is giving me, so I built around that CPU. Seems like a really good CPU and if for some reason I need something even better I'll only need to replace motherboard and RAM.
I got a 5800x as well. If you're gaming at 4k, you'll get roughly 98% of the 4090's performance based on some charts I've seen. If you're at 1440p then it will bottleneck a bit harder.

Crayon

I just never spent this much on a single component for my PC. I was happy to pay $975 for my 3080 from Microcenter a couple of years back. This one just hit different.

Well. In my experience buyer's remorse is a decent gut feeling to follow. Sometimes it goes away, you enjoy the thing, and it fades away. Sometimes you keep feeling kinda bad about it for a long time and even if you had the money it feels not worth it. You have time to return or cancel it and at least a couple days before it shows up. Sleep on it. That can make a huge difference. You may wake up tomorrow saying "what was I thinking buying that" or it may be "what was I thinking fretting about the money". Just give yourself a little time for the dopemine to pass.

I like the spirit of the "fuck yeah YOLO" responses. I really do. But seriously, justifying big impulsive buys is not a great habit to get into.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As long as you're actually gonna use the thing, i.e. you have a 4K monitor that does 120+ HZ. Anything less than that is a total waste.

Fire up Flight Sim, crank everything to the absolute maximum with DLSS3 on and enjoy.

Last edited:

aclar00

Im not a PC gamer, and arguably not even a 60FPS kind of guy , but cards like this do seem like overkill...particular once all things are maxed out and the only thing left to do on all games is double the framerate. But i say do you if it's what you love.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well. In my experience buyer's remorse is a decent gut feeling to follow. Sometimes it goes away, you enjoy the thing, and it fades away. Sometimes you keep feeling kinda bad about it for a long time and even if you had the money it feels not worth it. You have time to return or cancel it and at least a couple days before it shows up. Sleep on it. That can make a huge difference. You may wake up tomorrow saying "what was I thinking buying that" or it may be "what was I thinking fretting about the money". Just give yourself a little time for the dopemine to pass.

I like the spirit of the "fuck yeah YOLO" responses. I really do. But seriously, justifying big impulsive buys is not a great habit to get into.
I'm usually not a big risk taker and I hold my money closer to my chest than ever given the way the economy is going nowadays. Solid advice. I do still have time to reconsider. I'll see how I feel closer to the date. It's supposed to arrive within a week and a half. I'll take that time to look at other things I could do with the money and make a judgement based on that. Appreciate the grounded response.

Majormaxxx

In a moment of weakness I spotted a MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio for $1649.99. 50 bucks over MSRP. I couldn't stop myself from clicking on it. Look at the product description, thought of the power, and could not contain myself.

After purchasing I went straight to youtube reviewing all the comparison videos trying to muster up some modicum of justification for what I just did to my bank account.

I make this thread not to brag or throw it people's face. I come for support. I come to discuss the pro's and cons and to hear any advice you folks might have.

Am I a fool or am I officially a premium gaming enthusiast who should just say fuck it, YOLO and be thankful that I actually have the ability to do this. Could I have spent the 1700+ dollars better.

Enjoy the new tech.

I saw sleeping dogs running in 4k on youtube and it looked spectacular . One great game to enjoy with the new card :)

//DEVIL//

Don't be a little bitch and enjoy that piece of shit
Honestly I couldn't say it better to the OP.

I have one. its a beast. I thought about selling it and getting a 3080 used for cheap. I could have got 1300$ and a 3080 for my FE 4090.

So I was thought, ill borrow my friend 3080 for a day to test it and see if I am actually ok with it. ( I game at 240 ultra wide 4k monitor ).

and.. nope. Not going back. there is really huge performance difference. this card will stay with me for couple of years for sure.

The best way to think about it is like this. you made the purchase. now you do not have to worry about spending money on your PC for a few years. on top of that, you get some money back if you sell your 3080.

Last edited:

dcx4610

You can sell your current GPU and probably get at least $300 so at least that's one thing. Still, paying over a grand for anything always tightens my butthole even if I have the money for it.

Jpi9CvA.gif

Fredrik

Just remind yourself what you payed for your car if you feel like you need to cry in the pillow when you add up your PC costs. Don’t think too much about it. It’s just money.

Umbasaborne

Banned
giphy.gif

Yes…as a recent pc convert who went balls out on a super build with a 4090, it was absolutley worth it. Drive around night city with everything maxed at 120 fps and all your worries will dissapear

If you have the money and want it, why not. To some it might be overkill, to some they like having the best card possible. You do you

Myself, I had a 3080 when it launched, sold it to a friend who was mining and offered me 2.5x what I paid for it which was ridiculous so I sold it to him. Had an opportunity to get another 3080 but i've settled on a rog strix 3070. I game on pc/ps5/switch, going above this for now is just not worth it for me.

Grats on the card! enjoy it!

Last edited:

Graciaus

I'm not sure if my TV is trash (65U8G) but my 3070 gave me sound distortion issues when I tried to put it to 4k/120. I'd be pissed if I bought this card and experienced the same thing since I'm not interesting in a monitor. I see they are still in stock but I'll pass for now.

JackMcGunns

For that amount, I can build an entire decent gaming rig as a back-up. 🤯

Sell it now while it's still valuable, then just wait for the 5080, you're going to want it anyway :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Don't worry, you're just excited. Embrace it!

If you can finacially make it happen, and you're good across the board. Just be happy you're able to be one of the few that got one! Make the most of it OP! :messenger_clapping:

SJRB

Gold Member
Bro if you have the money and won't get into problems, just go for it.

It's natural to get nervous after spending a lot of money, but don't fret. It's going to be awesome.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I know...and I agree. I listened to youtubers who kept telling me that if your gonna go 40 series, it's the best value. No shot I was gonna go with the 4080 at $12-1300. It was Nvidia's plan all along and I fell for it. Hard. I'm swearing off buying GPUs for until 60 series.
I'm pretty sure the 4090 has the worst perf/dollar, cost/per frame of any Ada card. At msrp the best value is the 4070Ti followed by the 4080, and lastly the 4090.

Congrats on the card. If you have the money and love PC gaming, then why not? I would kill to have a 4090 for PCVR.

StormCell

I'm gonna embrace it even if it turns out to not be the specific 4090 I wanted. My reasons for ponying for a 4090 are raytracing, raytracing, and more raytracing. Plus, my desktop is over 10 years old now. I've waited long enough to upgrade, and I plan on playing the absolute shit out of 3DS, Wii U, and Switch games on emulator as opposed to on my actual Switch so I can finally enjoy games I've bought without stutter, frame drop, and blurry resolution.

OP, live it up, because you never know when this hardware may become exceedingly impossible to acquire again. For all we know, we may be less than 2 years out from World War 3 and microchips could be a thing our militaries have a dire need for. You just don't ever know...

Top Bottom