• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

425.000 DS sold in Spain

fresquito

I´ve read this piece of news in a Spanish site. It says that in Spain, and until the end of 2005, NintendoDS sold 425.000 copies, which represents 59% of the units sold in 2005 in the handheld market for this country. There´re no PSP numbers. The Marketing director of Nintendo Spain, Rafael Martínez Moya-Angeler, also states that they could´ve sold 100.000 handhelds more if they could´ve supply the demand of retailers (the console was sold out through Christmass).

Edit: Oh, I think I misread something. It says next generation handheld market, so it´s only NDS vs PSP.

Here´s the original text:
Nintendo DS domina en España el mercado de portátiles de nueva generación

Daniel Escandell - 12:13 30/1/2006
NDS

Nintendo DS se hace con un 59% de la cuota de mercado.

La consultora AC Nielsen ha publicado hoy los datos de ventas del mercado portátil extraídos de sus estudios de mercado de 2005. Nintendo DS se ha hecho con el 59% del mercado de consolas portátiles de nueva generación en España, lo que representa un total de 425.000 consolas vendidas dentro de nuestro territorio nacional. La edad media de los usuarios es de 21 años y medio.

Nintendo considera que los resultados podrían haber sido más satisfactorios si cabe, pues, según declaraciones de Rafael Martínez Moya-Angeler, director comercial y de mercadotecnia de Nintendo España, “hemos dejado de vender al menos 100.000 unidades, esta cantidad se corresponde con los pedidos que hemos recibido pero que no hemos podido servir”.

Según Nintendo, buena parte del éxito se debe a que, pese a la competencia portátil de PSP a partir de septiembre, han configurado una oferta que ha convencido a más usuarios que la línea tradicional de su competencia, basada en los gráficos y las posibilidades multimedia, gracias a las características especiales de la consola, el juego en red gratuito (con Mario Kart DS), y títulos poco convencionales como Nintendogs.

Según afirma la compañía, han cerrado la mejor campaña navideña de su historia, con mejores perspectivas de cara a 2006, a tenor de la evolución del mercado japonés, donde la Nintendo DS ha instalado una base de usuarios del 66,5% (5,8 millones), frente al 33,5% de usuarios de PSP (2,9 millones), según la consultora independiente Media Create, y cuyos datos os ofrecemos con periocidad semanal.

En los próximos meses recibiremos juegos que han sido éxitos indiscutibles de ventas superando el millón de unidades vendidas en Japón, como Animal Crossing: Wild World, la serie de retos mentales para adultos Brain Training y Brain Exercise, así como títulos tan sorprendentes o esperados como Resident Evil, Trauma Center, Tetris DS (con soporte para juego en red) y Electroplankton.
Source

Gessle

It's 59% for DS and 41% for PSP (they do not mention PSP but "competitor's next-generation portable console"). Here are some graphs:

01.jpg

02.jpg

So this means:
DS: 425,000 units
PSP: 295,000 units

Also, Nintendo of Spain has received orders from retailers for an amount of 100,000 units, and they haven't been able to supply them yet. The new shipments should arrive starting next week.

fresquito

Gessle said:
It's 59% for DS and 41% for PSP (they do not mention PSP but "competitor's next-generation portable console"). Here are some graphs:

01.jpg

02.jpg

So this means:

Also, Nintendo of Spain has received orders from retailers for an amount of 100,000 units, and they haven't been able to supply them yet. The new shipments should arrive starting next week.
Yep, now I realise my mistake. I just edited my first post.

Tiger

Banned
While I truly enjoy owning a DS, I have to say that i'm continually amazed at just how well it's doing worldwide. I expected it to do well, but not this well.

datruth29

Gessle said:

01.jpg

02.jpg

So this means:

These graphs remind me so much of the graphs that several of our GAF users put out during the release of Media Create numbers, except this one is more pretty. Guess Easter begins in October for Spain. :D

jarrod

Banned
295k PSPs? Using sonycowboy's PS2 tracking comparisons... that means only 1,943,347 PSPs sold for all of Europe? 2.25 million doesn't sound so "low end" anymore. ;)

Gessle

jarrod said:
295k PSPs? Using sonycowboy's PS2 tracking comparisons... that means only 1,943,347 PSPs sold for all of Europe? 2.25 million doesn't sound so "low end" anymore. ;)

I'd say Spain accounts for 10-15% of the European market in terms of sales, at least that's the case for Nintendo. If it's the same for Sony, PSP sales in Europe should be around 3 million by now.

Grug

As much as all of us on GAF profess to understand the videogame market.

We know shit compared to Iwata... absolute shit.

jarrod

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
I assume that is in order of importance?
No, for consoles it's...

01 United Kingdom
02 France
03 Spain
04 Germany
05 Italy

...Spain accounts for roughly 15-16% of the PS2 market.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Xellotah said:
The so called big 5 in europe are:
UK, Spain, Italy, France and Germany.

I thought UK, France and Germany were the biggest markets, much bigger than Spain and Italy? Maybe I was wrong then. And were does Scandinavia fit into all this?

Kroole

Kiriku said:
I thought UK, France and Germany were the biggest markets, much bigger than Spain and Italy? Maybe I was wrong then. And were does Scandinavia fit into all this?

Scandinavia is mainly a PC market. For example here's the top 20 in Sweden during the last week:

1. World of Warcraft (PC)
2. Battlefield 2 (PC)
3. The Sims 2 (PC)
4. The Sims 2: Studentliv (PC)
5. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
6. The Sims 2: Nattliv (PC)
7. The Sims 2 Julpaket (PC)
8. Half-Life 2 (PC)
9. En decemberdröm (PC)
10. FIFA 06 (PS2)
11. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (PS2)
12. Singstar Svenska hits (PS2)
13. Age of Empires 3 (PC)
14. Guild Wars (PC)
15. Call of Duty 2 (PC)
16. NHL 06 (PS2)
17. Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith (PS2)
18. Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (PC)
19. Football Manager 2006 (PC)
20. GTA San Andreas (PC)

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Well, for the PS2 market...

UK~ 27.82%
France~ 15.56%
Spain~ 15.18%
Germany~ 14.01%
Italy~ 11.67%
Scandanavia~ 7.39%
Other~ 8.37%

...obviously it'll vary a bit for other platforms (France likely makes up more of GC's market proportionately, same for Xbox in the UK, etc) but these are a good indicator I think.

So that's what we have so far till the end of 2005:

NDS

UK: 800,000 according to Charttrack (probably about 900 to 950k according to Nintendo till the end of 2005)
Germany: 520,000
Spain: 425,000

PSP

UK: 795,000
France: 500,000
Spain 295,000

We would need France for the DS and Germany for the PSP - that would be a quite good picture of Europe :D

>NDS
>
>UK: 800,000 according to Charttrack (probably about 900 to 950k according to Nintendo till >the end of 2005)
>Germany: 520,000
>Spain: 425,000
>
>PSP
>
>UK: 795,000
>France: 500,000
>Spain 295,000

looks like both handhelds are doing well. that should be what everyone wants but it appears like a lot of people on this forum don't want that.
the reason both handhelds are good is because of the competition. otherwise if it was a blowout then that company would get lazy. that is why nintendo DS has gotten way way better games than gameboy advance did. nintendo had no reason to go all out back then.

so these sales are very reasurring to keep the quality games coming!

fresquito

metropolis said:
>NDS
>
>UK: 800,000 according to Charttrack (probably about 900 to 950k according to Nintendo till >the end of 2005)
>Germany: 520,000
>Spain: 425,000
>
>PSP
>
>UK: 795,000
>France: 500,000
>Spain 295,000

looks like both handhelds are doing well. that should be what everyone wants but it appears like a lot of people on this forum don't want that.
the reason both handhelds are good is because of the competition. otherwise if it was a blowout then that company would get lazy. that is why nintendo DS has gotten way way better games than gameboy advance did. nintendo had no reason to go all out back then.

so these sales are very reasurring to keep the quality games coming!
have you ever glared at the GBA catalog? Nintendo released some stunning software there. They don´t need any pressure to give their best :-/

"have you ever glared at the GBA catalog? Nintendo released some stunning software there. They don´t need any pressure to give their best :-/"

well when i look at the fact that there were 4 (four) (FOUR!) super mario bros remakes for the GBA. and the DS gets an all new mario title. it makes me think nintendo got very lazy with the GBA.

fresquito

metropolis said:
"have you ever glared at the GBA catalog? Nintendo released some stunning software there. They don´t need any pressure to give their best :-/"

well when i look at the fact that there were 4 (four) (FOUR!) super mario bros remakes for the GBA. and the DS gets an all new mario title. it makes me think nintendo got very lazy with the GBA.
Yeah, then I look at the new Zelda, two AW, two FE, Wario Ware, SMKSC and a long etc and I know they haven´t been lazy at all. In fact Nintendo from GBA>Nintendo from GC, and they had lots of things to batle there.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
gamaustra said:
According to reports from Spanish website Vandal Online, sources from Nintendo Europe are now claiming that lifetime-to-date sale figures for the Nintendo DS console in Spain is now 425,000 units, above that of the rival Sony PSP handheld.

This figure represents 59 percent of the next generation portable market, with the data referring to the other 41 percent described only as that belonging to “other” next generation portable consoles. Assuming that this second percentage is solely PSP sales, then it would indicate a lifetime figure of around 295,000.

Although the PSP was released almost six months later in Europe than the Nintendo DS, other sales results collated by market research firm AC Nielsen show that the Nintendo DS has been outselling the PSP since the week of November 13, with Christmas sales significantly above that of Sony’s handheld.

According to Nintendo Spain marketing director Rafael Martínez Moya-Angeler, 100,000 additional units could have been sold over the period if not for stock supply problems. As has been the case around the world, the Nintendo DS’s fortunes began to improve following the release of Nintendogs in October, and particularly following the release of Mario Kart DS and the Wi-Fi Connection Network (Animal Crossing: Wild World has not yet been released in Europe).

Nintendo DS sales began to dip again after December 19th, following the start of stock problems but currently remain above that of the PSP, according to reports. The situation is similar to that reported in much of the rest of the Europe with even the normally Nintendo unfriendly UK market currently favoring the Nintendo DS, albeit by a smaller margin.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=7958

"Yeah, then I look at the new Zelda, two AW"

i totally agree with you that these games are incredible. especially that zelda game really struck me as something special.
i wasn't trying to say the GBA was bad. i just feel like they would have released a new mario if they had felt more threatened. also i really like the risks they take now with nintendogs and brain training and games like that. i may not like them all but i enjoy having my interest piqued by new software i didn't see coming.

Furoba

jarrod said:
No, for consoles it's...

01 United Kingdom
02 France
03 Spain
04 Germany
05 Italy

...Spain accounts for roughly 15-16% of the PS2 market.

Do not forget the Benelux region, that's almost 30 million people combined. This is a large market also.

Include the Scandinavian region, Denmark, Poland, Ireland, Portugal,... and you have a more correct sales number. PAL region is more than just 5 countries.

fresquito

metropolis said:
"Yeah, then I look at the new Zelda, two AW"

i totally agree with you that these games are incredible. especially that zelda game really struck me as something special.
i wasn't trying to say the GBA was bad. i just feel like they would have released a new mario if they had felt more threatened. also i really like the risks they take now with nintendogs and brain training and games like that. i may not like them all but i enjoy having my interest piqued by new software i didn't see coming.

I don´t know, but if you told me about GC I would agree. They´ve been quite static there. But in GBA, more knowing they had no rival, they have shown the true Nintendo face. Creating brands like Wario Ware and giving us extraordinary software like FE, games you´d usually wouldn´t relate to Nintendo.

Kroole

Furoba said:
Do not forget the Benelux region, that's almost 30 million people combined. This is a large market also.

Include the Scandinavian region, Denmark, Poland, Ireland, Portugal,... and you have a more correct sales number. PAL region is more than just 5 countries.

Denmark is a part of Scandinavia :)

ioi

Banned
Woah, cool... as somebody posted that only leaves a couple of numbers and most of the picture for Europe is complete.

It's interesting that the weekly graph is almost identical to the UK apart from even higher numbers for DS (relative to PSP) which just shows the impact that Nintendogs + Mario Kart had.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Animal Crossing, Brain Trainings and so on and if they can keep momentum going...

Top Bottom