• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-44°c currently here, would you call into work?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
what hell on earth do you live in
cMsgYXA.png

Hinedorf

Banned
You have no idea how cold it is. I'm in the frigid arctic of San Diego where I had to wear a jacket AND a vest just to go outside! I have no idea what real cold actually is but in the past couple weeks my windshield has completely frozen over in the morning needing me to scrape it down.

Just yesterday I came outside to head to work (leave at 5am) and a crack has formed completely across my entire windshield from what I have to assume is due to the temperature, having to replace the whole damn thing Friday.

lil puff

-47F I'm not sure the subway would even run in that.

I think our company would probably close for the day.

DESTROYA

You have no idea how cold it is. I'm in the frigid arctic of San Diego where I had to wear a jacket AND a vest just to go outside! I have no idea what real cold actually is but in the past couple weeks my windshield has completely frozen over in the morning needing me to scrape it down.

Just yesterday I came outside to head to work (leave at 5am) and a crack has formed completely across my entire windshield from what I have to assume is due to the temperature, having to replace the whole damn thing Friday.
It’s not due to temperature or every car in the NE would have a cracked windshield, it’s your neighbors they hate you.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
So yeah that's -47 Fahrenheit for you Americans, my car won't start shits froze, debating if I should just stay home today and be a bum or just go back to sleep :p what would you guys do?

I walk to work so probably not. Max I went was -30 celsius and it wasnt a very enjoyable walk. I doubt I'll see those temps ever again considering.

Hinedorf

Banned
It’s not due to temperature or every car in the NE would have a cracked windshield, it’s your neighbors they hate you.

So I'm not doubting the neighbors thing but i had a crack on the left hand side of the window that was about 3 inches long, as of yesterday it went from 3 inches to the whole window and it wasn't there Tuesday afternoon. It also wasn't frosted over yesterday morning when I found the giant crack.

DESTROYA

Cracks can get bigger from temperature change but more likely due from moisture, flex from the body of the vehicle as it goes over bumps and dips in the road.

Nymphae

Banned
No I'm Canadian. I drove to work in Snowmageddon 2010.
And I have a strong aversion to calling in to get out of work for absolutely any reason other than emergencies. I haven't taken a sick day in...going on 8 years now. And that sick day I begrudgingly took due to complications in healing after a stay in the hospital for a lung collapse.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Feel your pain OP, -29 for the last 3 days, sucks.
Luckily I can work from home so I have no intention to go into the office.
Pretty dangerous to be out in this weather, public transit just isn't an option if you any walking to get to the bus stop /train.
Parking (assuming you can get your car started) is a bad idea because if your car sits all day there is a chance it won't start at the end of the day leaving you stranded

Kagey K

Banned
Tues was -56 and yesterday was -52 with wind chill. Today is a balmy -41. My kids didn’t go to school, but I still went to work.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Here in Poland proper winters are pretty much going away. I'm a little bit freaked out by how fast it's happening. 20 years ago we had solid minus temperatures and snow for at least 2-3 months. Now it's a few weeks of snow and minus temperatures per year. This winter we had only light snow for a few days, but it quickly got warmer and it's looking more like late Autumn / early Spring.

Last edited:

Duellist

-35c this morning with windchill its -45/-50. On Monday it's supposed to be -3c. It's going to feel like fucking summer haha

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Yeah I know the air temp was -7 which is pretty damn cold. Not as cold as OP but pretty cold in the upper Midwest today.
-7 F is cold yeah, that's like -21 C. For me anything below -20 C is properly cold. The winter has been quite mild in Europe this year though

Cravis

Yeah I live in the south. If there is even a slight chance for snow you’d think the world was ending cause people be like

EQTSRHp.jpg

Breakage

I wouldn't be able to tolerate a temperature that low. Even temperatures a few degrees below zero cause me problems.

Top Bottom