• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Clickbait 4chan claims they can change anyones vote in Oregon. Wheeler voted Trump now

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Grain and salt and all. Maybe a funny prank or its a giant vulnerability. Not sure if real.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
Online voting would be a complete disaster. This looks like it's only for overseas military and the disabled. They'd have to vet that before the votes are valid I'm sure. However because it's a terrible idea I can see democrats pushing for online elections in the not so distant future.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
Did research - it looks like you can only vote on screen to print a ballot [for handicapped people or something]. You would still need to sign, mail it.

However, it is supposedly still a vulnerability as reports suggest you can access private data like address and see / change data like party affiliation. However, supposedly actual ballots already mailed out so its doubtful this exploit can be used to change a vote.

Some wonder if you can see someone's vote [ie, see if they voted for Trump] but this is unconfirmed.

All above is based on reading long twitter threads, take with grain of salt.

Reactions: j0hnnix

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
Read some more. It's possible in printing this ballot, it cancels any previous existing ballot. If true, that... is worrisome. Your vote in the mail could be cancelled. I guess we'll find out.

j0hnnix

Mar 15, 2014
Place where people say Bumble Fuc***
Read some more. It's possible in printing this ballot, it cancels any previous existing ballot. If true, that... is worrisome. Your vote in the mail could be cancelled. I guess we'll find out.
At what point will it come to manipulating the printed ballot to be shipped elsewhere to have the signature forged. There is no database to prevent signature fraud with these ballots.

Spokker

May 31, 2011
Don't fall for it.

Voter information is public data so yeah, you can access voter information online with ease. You can also walk into any county elections office and get it too. It's easier in Oregon. In my state you at least need the last 4 digits of your drivers license or SSN. This is why some states have a confidential voter registration program for victims of domestic violence.

No, you can't change anyone's vote online. You cannot invalidate a ballot by requesting a replacement. The first legitimate ballot received is the one that is counted.

You can't even request a replacement ballot online in Oregon. You have to fill out a form and sign it attesting to the reason you need one. Here's the form: https://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/SEL112.pdf

• Thoughtful
Reactions: j0hnnix and ZZZZ

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
As soon as they turned this shit electronic, it was the beginning of the end. We’ve seen that hackers can get into pretty much everything else, why wouldn’t they get into the voting system?