• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan Rumor: No Assassin's Creed in 2016, 2017 in Egypt, Witcher inspired [Update]

Schreier thinks it´s true.

And thats good enough for me!

I hope they go balls to the walls crazy and just make you take jobs for Egyptian gods. How badass would that be? They need to go crazy and just out there. I love Ancient Egypt as a setting, the mythology as well, if they can do both justice itd be amazing.

I like this, if it's true. Although hopefully the combat and UI will be better than Witcher (which I loved, but those aspects did suck).

FeD.nL

Makes sense. Release a remake to tie in with the film and spend the marketing budget to push For Honor during the fall window.

Does he still own the IP, or did Ubi acquire it when they bought PoP publishing rights from The Learning Company way back when? If not, I too shall begin the mourning process.
According to the leak he still owns it:
Forget Prince of Persia. It will never come back. The reason why AC exists at all is because PoP meant Ubi has to pay for license, since they don't own the IP. AC is Ubi's own IP, so merchandising and all that shit is theirs to keep. PoP is financially not worth it.

SentryDown

Guys, Black Flag kind of boats aren't coming back if it's true, it makes zero sense regarding Ancient Egypt history & geography

If this is true, the only reason it's still an AC game is for marketing reasons. Other than that, they could have just made it a new IP.

RedSwirl

Not that I've ever taken 4chan postings as credible sources, but hypothetically speaking I don't like the mention of "Witcher-feel" from a company like Ubisoft. Is "Witcher-feel" gonna be the new "Skyrim audience" or "Call of Duty audience"? Is everybody gonna just keep imitating the previous year's GOTY?

I have the feeling all the big companies that try to imitate Witcher 3 are going to completely miss what actually makes that game appealing -- world building. It's less about mechanics than it is about writing and art direction. The most "mechanical" appealing aspect behind Witcher 3 is how its world was laid out AFTER the amount of content in the game had been determined and how much care went into every little quest or objective. It's the complete opposite of what Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age Inquisition did -- toss a bunch of inconsequential "extra content" all over the map.

Actually AAA publishers similarly missed the point after Skyrim came out. Some wanted a "Skyrim feel" but misunderstood what made that game appealing -- the way it created an immersive sandbox with functioning communities of AI character routines. Black Flag worked because it wasn't Assassin's Creed at all, it was an actually pretty good GTA clone on a boat. It understood the gameplay loop that made GTA appealing. It should be its own franchise.

If there'es any game Ubisoft needs to take a long, hard look at, it's MGSV. It basically did the same thing as Far Cry but gave players actual freedom when completing main missions. I think Assassin's Creed should have that structure but maybe with controls and systems resembling Thief.

rhandino

Banned
Guys, Black Flag kind of boats aren't coming back if it's true, it makes zero sense regarding Ancient Egypt history & geography
iqCVp16.gif

This whole thing stopped sounding real when he said "SJW" ....

What ever... But it can definitely use a rest this year tbh. There's a lot of games coming out this year anyways so I'm not too worried

Please, this would be going in the right direction for Assassin's Creed. But what would they even call it if there is no assassin and no creed? And please don't make it about Moses or some Jewish revolution from the Egyptians if true, I'm tired of that kind of story from the franchise.

SentryDown

Did you sleep through history class?

Depends on the period they'll chose but boats were mostly used for fishing and transporting people, including their military ones which were mostly unarmed. And if the leaker is true, they won't have Greece or any other island to travel too, only the river network of Egypt, which is indeed far from the BF naval experience and closed to AC2 gondolas.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If there'es any game Ubisoft needs to take a long, hard look at, it's MGSV. It basically did the same thing as Far Cry but gave players actual freedom when completing main missions. I think Assassin's Creed should have that structure but maybe with controls and systems resembling Thief.

Unity (which I'm playing at the moment) is trying that sort of thing with the assassination missions at the end of each sequence. It's probably the closest to the Assassin's Creed 1 assassination missions that the series has had post-AC2.

Like, there's distraction and infiltration opportunities and if you hang around certain areas you may learn your target will be in a certain easier to attack/defend spot than just going in guns blazing. If there's one thing I can praise Unity on, it's that.

J_Viper

Yes, the lead team from ACIV was located in Montreal. But no, they didn't pass permanently AC to Quebec.

They said that there are different teams leading different AC games to make sure these teams don't have to release an AC every year, starting with Syndicate (leaded by Quebec). This means that the team who will lead the next one won't be Ubisoft Quebec, so it's possible that it's time for their Ubisoft Montreal teams teams, like the team of Black Flag or the team of Unity.

It's one of the initiatives they had to solve many concerns raised among many people. Another was to create a studio focused only in Customer Support and Community Management in Newcastle, that debuted collecting AC Unity player feedback and resulted in 400+ things fixed according to the release notes in their forums (I'd bet most of these things were already detected internally but didn't have time to fix it before release).

If true, to introduce in the middle a year without releasing a big AC would give them even more time to the devs to polish their games, which is really good.

Very interesting, I had thought Quebec team would head the series while Montreal focused on whatever they do with Watchdogs. Thanks for clearing that up!

So basically,
Black Flag Team = Treyarch
Syndicate Team = Sledgehammer
Unity Team = Spark Unlimited

GlamFM

Banned
Depends on the period they'll chose but boats were mostly used for fishing and transporting people, including their military ones which were mostly unarmed. And if the leaker is true, they won't have Greece or any other island to travel too, only the river network of Egypt, which is indeed far from the BF naval experience and closed to AC2 gondolas.

There is the Mediterranean and the Red sea. Lots of space for big boats.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The last gen formula wasn't really breaking any records or setting new standards. AC was sorta being dogged on left and right. Maybe they'll get out of having to parentally defend the series now. That's the best way I can put it.

Hesh

Interesting, but they way he speaks/types along with him saying his profession seems like he's going to get found out for breaking NDA really quickly. Unless it's all an elaborate ruse that he fabricated completely, but still, even if he didn't care for his job and wanted to get fired, breaking your NDA could cause you to get sued and end up with wage garnishment when you can't pay back your employer that you just fucked over. That sort of nihilistic short-term reasoning pretty much falls in line with what I imagine an industry worker that browses 4chan to operate on a daily basis, though.

If no "new" AC really is in the cards this year then I hope Ubisoft at least "remasters" AC Rogue for PS4 and XB1 so more people can play that one. Can't recommend it highly enough if you're a fan of the series and/or really liked Black Flag. The PC port is swell, but I think putting it out on current-gen consoles would help get more eyes on it and possibly improve the chances of a future game with Shay or another similar character to run in tandem with the "main" AC series.

SentryDown

There is the Mediterranean and the Red sea. Lots of space for big boats.

To go where, to do what ? As I said, they didn't do much more than transporting people, naval combat consisted of few archery and some direct boarding only in the late years of the New Kingdom.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
who play for the present storyline?

I did. Until that ending for AC3. But honestly, the bigger worry in this rumor is the prequel to the Assassin's/Templar bit. I really can't see Ubisoft giving a valid reason for the break in ideals there. Then again, they did make a decent "plot twist" with the Templar opening of AC3 so maybe they could pull it off if they give it proper care.

Sounds good and plausible about the new main game direction but I can't see Ubi not bringing out something if there's a movie coming out this year

While we don't know how the Egyptians sounded back then I do hope for some accents from the region for the English dub.

Scipio

Did you sleep through history class?

17centurywarship.jpg

lal320019.jpg

To remind people, the Romans are as close to us as the Egyptians were to the Romans.

Hey, people, the Piramids were built in 2500 BC! The cannon was invented in the 14th century, three milleniums later.

Scipio

Are we sure the guy saying "Black Flag like boats aren't coming back" isn't just on about naval combat with cannons etc

People in the thread are mentioning BIG boats. Which simply could not be built at that time. Plus, does anyone want to play AC4 boat combat without cannons?

jonno394

People in the thread are mentioning BIG boats. Which simply could not be built at that time. Plus, does anyone want to play AC4 boat combat without cannons?

Dependant on the time period, there could be archers, but christ knows when this will be set. Maybe as they're doing away with historical accuracy, we'll have the Egyptians as some sort of super civilisation using technology of Eden and we'll have some external force try to steal it etc

emag

The cannons are powered by Pieces of Eden. Turns out that they were super-duper common in ancient Egypt.

I don't get what they mean by Witcher inspired. Seems like the meaningless Souls-like line developers usually spout. It will probably be nothing like The Witcher.

Barakov

Gold Member
Definitely sounds interesting.

jonno394 said:
Dependant on the time period, there could be archers, but christ knows when this will be set. Maybe as they're doing away with historical accuracy, we'll have the Egyptians as some sort of super civilization using technology of Eden and we'll have some external force try to steal it etc

I'm all for this, if it makes it a funner game. I think they'd really be limiting themselves from a design standpoint if this game didn't have some of gameplay changes from the previous entries and just made a dumbed down AC1.

RedSwirl

Just "ancient Egypt" encompasses a gigantic span of time. The Giza pyramids were already 2000 years old in Cleopatra's time. If they're talking about interacting with Greece/Rome (again, hypothetically since this is 4chan we're talking about), then we're probably talking about late ancient Egypt, possibly Ptolemaic Egypt.

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt is a modern classic, a game that stands shoulder to shoulder with the greatest games ever made, games such as Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex or Vampire Bloodlines. I have no doubt people will still be talking about it and playing in in 15 years much like we are still playing Baldur's Gate (new expansion for it is coming, btw 17 years after release!).
Good on Gamespot for recognizing that and awarding the game and its studio accordingly. CD Projekt have been a consistent gold standard and I am very happy for them.

That said, I do have a few disagreements with the list overall. I would drop Evolve, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Just Cause 3. I would add Life is Strange (somewhere into TOP 5) as well as place SOMA much higher. I would drop Fallout 4 much lower.
I would add Pillars of Eternity and Shadowrun.

But overall it is a good list. The inclusion of some offbeat games is pleasant, namely Kerbal Space Program and Cities Skylines .

Fallout 4 has terrible quest design (there are few good quests in a sea of shit) and mostly mediocre-to-bad writing. Many people find it unsatisfactory after Fallout New Vegas and particularly Witcher 3. Me included.

"Yup. An absolute landmark game that many will try to replicate and fail in years to come. We already see Square Enix trying to take notes with FFXV. It will be remembered not only as one of the greatest games of its era, but of all time. The Witcher 1&2 are already getting their credit and The Witcher 3 combines the best aspects of both and takes them to even greater heights. It is incredible to see CDPR's development as a studio since the first game in the series."

---
Sounds like what I said in the Gamespot GOTY thread is already starting to come to pass.

papo

Hopefully it turns out to be good. I got burned after Black Flag and haven't touched Unity or Syndicate yet.

Egypt sounds great, don't know about them emulating Witcher gameplay since it just makes it sound like a bigger Ubi open world type of game which isn't a good thing.

One thing I wish they would do is bring some of the older stuff back. Like planning actual assasinations. Only the 1st AC game made us feel like we were in an Assasssin simulation so hopefully that comes back. Also the PoP type of tombs/palaces from the first( or second?) Ezio game would be a cool thing.

Very interesting, I had thought Quebec team would head the series while Montreal focused on whatever they do with Watchdogs. Thanks for clearing that up!

So basically,
Black Flag Team = Treyarch
Syndicate Team = Sledgehammer
Unity Team = Spark Unlimited

If one team is doing AC: Egypt another is surely doing the inevitable WW2 AC. Unity had an unresolved plot thread of Arno and Napoleon having some kind of run-in in Egypt. Unity and Syndicate
both had WW2 levels
and Abstergo was founded right before WW2.

To be fair I think he means this more in the sense that we don't know as much to actually base it on.

RG0BS1U.gif

If thats the case, I really hope we dont go back to the clone buildings and minarets of the first AC and they try to create egyptian cities and towns with variety, even if they have to invent 90% of the maps.

Neoxon

While it would be nice to see Assassin's Creed catch a break for a year, it's a bit worrying for Nintendo that Ubisoft isn't even bothering with giving the NX Platform an Assassin's Creed game. This is assuming that the rumor is true, of course (which we don't know for sure, right now). But considering that it's 4chan, I'll keep my expectations in check in terms of this rumor's legitimacy.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Would be amazing if true. I love the series for what it is but I think that could do much more with it and revamping it would be welcome. It's not like we don't already have 10 games with more or less the same gameplay. So even though I still like it, I'm not mad for them taking it into a new direction.

Scipio

Dependant on the time period, there could be archers, but christ knows when this will be set. Maybe as they're doing away with historical accuracy, we'll have the Egyptians as some sort of super civilisation using technology of Eden and we'll have some external force try to steal it etc

That's a complete turn-off for me.

To me, this series is at its best when it immerses you completely in the time period, without any Eden bullshit. AC2/ACB was the best iteration, and that game portrayed the Italian 15th century very accurately. The atmosphere of those games is what made people fall in love with the series. Not the Piece of Eden mythos. Assassins' Creed should drop the modern stuff and be as historically accurate as possible for a game IMO.

RedSwirl

"Yup. An absolute landmark game that many will try to replicate and fail in years to come. We already see Square Enix trying to take notes with FFXV. It will be remembered not only as one of the greatest games of its era, but of all time. The Witcher 1&2 are already getting their credit and The Witcher 3 combines the best aspects of both and takes them to even greater heights. It is incredible to see CDPR's development as a studio since the first game in the series."

---
Sounds like what I said in the Gamespot GOTY thread is already starting to come to pass.

How? I guess I haven't been keeping up with every scrap of info about FFXV.

Top Bottom