• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Gamer's extensive Dark Souls interview with the director

duckroll

4Gamer has put up an extensive 4 page interview with Miyazaki, the director of Dark Souls, and it covers a wide ranging number of topics regarding the game. This is without a doubt the most in-depth and detailed interview about the game released in the press so far.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012067/20110208026/

I'm not going to translate the entire interview because it's huge, if someone else wants to tackle it, feel free and I'll add it to the OP. Meanwhile I'll just highlight the most interesting questions which should kick off some good discussion issues.

Where is Demon's Souls 2?

- 4Gamer asks directly why Dark Souls is not Demon's Souls 2. Miyazaki says that it would be a lie if he says that he never wanted to make a sequel in the first place. Instead various things happened, and they ended up having to make a brand new IP. He is thankful that happened though, because this allowed him to be more creative and to make improvements which change things without feeling the need to conform too much to a defined franchise.

Is Bandai Namco Games going to ruin the game with crossovers and DLC?

- 4Gamer wants to know if Bandai Namco characters will be showing up in the game since they're collaborating. Miyazaki flat out denies this and says the world is incompatible with crossovers in this way, and it would not fit the game.

- 4Gamer then presses on the issue, and asks if From Software will be doing tons of DLC for the game since Bandai Namco is involved in some way. Miyazaki says that he hasn't really thought much about actual DLC content so far, but he doesn't rule it out. What he does rule out specifically is that they will not be selling items or cheats. They will never put out DLC which gives the player an option of paying to get something other than working for it in the game itself. Instead, DLC will only be considered if it fits into the online design and engine of the game, in a way where it is actually interesting to explore such an option.

Is Dark Souls now just an Oblivion knock-off?

- 4Gamer also quizzed the director on whether being a fully seamless world, that Dark Souls would be an open world game like Oblivion. Miyazaki says that the style of the game is very different from Oblivion, and it won't be the sort of open filler exploration world. Instead the concept is to create fully integrated dungeons and to link them to each other in a seamless way. In other words, it will be no different from how Demon's Souls have various stages and parts of stages, but this time they will all be connection seamlessly instead.

Improvements and expansions to the Demon's Souls format.

- In terms of content and play time, Miyazaki says that Demon's Souls takes players on average about 30-40 hours to complete, and contains about 40 enemy types or so. For Dark Souls, he expects the game to last about 60 hours on average, and there will be close to 100 different enemy types.

- Miyazaki outright admits that he feels that the weapon customization/upgrade system in Demon's Souls was somewhat of a failure. He says that while Japanese players seemed to be okay with the complexity and vagueness of the system, overseas players sent many feedback letters which suggested that the system was too complicated and obscure for its own good. This is bad because players cannot fully utilize the system due to their failure to properly explain things. It will be improved in Dark Souls and they are considering this aspect very carefully.

New details on the expanded multiplayer features.

- Miyazaki also sheds the most detail we've heard so far about the new multiplayer systems. For the "sharing of experiences" part, he details it as such that he wants to create the feeling of players helping each other through difficulty parts, but integrated as part of the game. In a comparison, he says he really liked the good old says where people played Dragon Quest and would share their strategies with other players, and people would talk about their different experiences through the game, and in doing so help those who are having difficulty. He says there will be more details later.

- As for the "mutual role playing" system, he wants to create a feeling where other players interact with each other throughout the game even as each player plays their own game. While there are elements of this in Demon's Souls, this system specifically wants to take both co-op play and PvP play to the next level. The example he gives here is Lord of the Rings. In LotR, Frodo discovers the One Ring, which is a valuable item, and he is tasked to keep it and protect it. That is his role. On the other hand, there are the black riders who have long searched for this valuable item throughout the world. When Frodo possesses the ring, their roles clash because of contradicting objectives. If the black rider happens to defeat Frodo and attain the ring, then he is a fortunate player who managed to get what he wants, the player who loses the ring because he failed to protect it is unfortunate...

Miyazaki's promotion.

- Miyazaki is both the director and the producer of Dark Souls, but his job role hasn't really changed. The main reason is that his producer role is as the internal producer of development in From Software, which is pretty much what he did as director anyway. The reason why he is also the producer is because at the time earlier in the project, he had to put the team together and drive development quickly to get the project off the ground. It sounds like he's really the one who made Dark Souls happen.

What's this Dark Ring trademark Bandai Namco Games made last year?

- Some fun trivia about the game title: Right before TGS 2010, the title of the game was Dark Race. The Dark Race would refer to the ones who were cursed in the game. This was going to be the real title and it even had a logo designed. But just before TGS they got feedback that it would sound incredibly racist to the western market. So Miyazaki had like 2 days to come up with a new title. He looked at the logo and said "Well if we can't use Race, let's keep the Dark." and made the placeholder title Project Dark for the announcement.

- After TGS, they took the word Dark from Project Dark to explore new title options. They decided on two titles: Dark Lord and Dark Ring. But Dark Lord was already taken as a trademark apparently, so they settled on Dark Ring instead. Unfortunately for the director, his luck with the English language is terrible, and he was informed before the start of this year that Dark Ring is also a British slang for the anus. Curses! This topic came about because 4Gamer asked him specifically about the Dark Ring trademark that Bandai Namco Games registered in Japan.

- Apparently Dark Ring was chosen because the mark of the curse on a player was that of a circle somewhere on their body. This "Dark Ring" as a sign of the curse was fitting for the title, but it's too bad that it would invoke thoughts of the anus in some people. After this, they settled on Dark Souls.

Where's my Dark Souls demo? Can I play with Japanese players this time?

- Miyazaki says there will probably not be a downloadable demo for the game, although they do plan on making the game playable at various events and playable sessions. The point he made is that the game is not one which can be easily explained or appreciated in a short period of time or in a small segment. He seems to feel that a playable demo of the game would be a waste of time for the developer and the players.

- He also confirms that Dark Souls is not just a worldwide game in terms of release, but also in the the online space. He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demon's Souls where all players could play together, and it's a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world.

V_Ben

Banned
- He also confirms that Dark Souls is not just a worldwide game in terms of release, but also in the the online space. He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demon's Souls where all players could play together, and it's a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world.

Yay!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
- After TGS, they took the word Dark from Project Dark to explore new title options. They decided on two titles: Dark Lord and Dark Ring. But Dark Lord was already taken as a trademark apparently, so they settled on Dark Ring instead. Unfortunately for the director, his luck with the English language is terrible, and he was informed before the start of this year that Dark Ring is also a British slang for the anus. Curses! This topic came about because 4Gamer asked him specifically about the Dark Ring trademark that Bandai Namco Games registered in Japan.

Haha!

duckroll said:
- 4Gamer also quizzed the director on whether being a fully seamless world, that Dark Souls would be an open world game like Oblivion. Miyazaki says that the style of the game is very different from Oblivion, and it won't be the sort of open filler exploration world. Instead the concept is to create fully integrated dungeons and to link them to each other in a seamless way. In other words, it will be no different from how Demon's Souls have various stages and parts of stages, but this time they will all be connection seamlessly instead.

THANK CHRIST

This interview just reinforces the fact that this will be the best game ever created. Hype reaching critical levels.

duckroll

I improved the formating in the OP. If other posters find interesting things in the interview which interests you enough to translate, do post it and either me or Nirolak will eventually add it to the OP too. Thanks!

Gattsu25

Banned
duckroll said:
What's this Dark Ring trademark Bandai Namco Games made last year?

- Some fun trivia about the game title: Right before TGS 2010, the title of the game was Dark Race. The Dark Race would refer to the ones who were cursed in the game. This was going to be the real title and it even had a logo designed. But just before TGS they got feedback that it would sound incredibly racist to the western market. So Miyazaki had like 2 days to come up with a new title. He looked at the logo and said "Well if we can't use Race, let's keep the Dark." and made the placeholder title Project Dark for the announcement.

- Apparently Dark Ring was chosen because the mark of the curse on a player was that of a circle somewhere on their body. This "Dark Ring" as a sign of the curse was fitting for the title, but it's too bad that it would invoke thoughts of the anus in some people. After this, they settled on Dark Souls.
Haha!
duckroll said:
:O

!!!
duckroll said:
Come on guys, Dark Race is -way- worse than Dark Ring. :lol
Oh, I agree--It is substantially worse. I didn't know the British meaning behind Dark Ring, though

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Hot-diggity-damn! Worldwide multiplayer means I can safely import it [if the NA release is more than a few weeks behind Japan].

In the mean time, I shall keep myself busy with some Shadow Tower and revisiting Demon's Souls.

Despera

Banned
duckroll said:
Awesome stuff right here.

Thanks for posting duckroll. some really awesome information in there. I can't even begin to describe my levels of excitement. I'm sure everyone else knows what I'm talking about. The worldwide component for online is amazing. What more can I say? I'm fucking stoked for this game and it will consume me in release. I really hope they a) use the same English localization company/Voice acting as DS and b) include at least subtitles and menus in the JPN release.

I'm not sure what more I can say I just keep getting myself riled up for this release.

I'm extremely interested in the changes to weapon customization.

duckroll said:
Is Bandai Namco Games going to ruin the game with crossovers and DLC?

- 4Gamer wants to know if Bandai Namco characters will be showing up in the game since they're collaborating. Miyazaki flat out denies this and says the world is incompatible with crossovers in this way, and it would not fit the game.

- 4Gamer then presses on the issue, and asks if From Software will be doing tons of DLC for the game since Bandai Namco is involved in some way. Miyazaki says that he hasn't really thought much about actual DLC content so far, but he doesn't rule it out. What he does rule out specifically is that they will not be selling items or cheats. They will never put out DLC which gives the player an option of paying to get something other than working for it in the game itself. Instead, DLC will only be considered if it fits into the online design and engine of the game, in a way where it is actually interesting to explore such an option.

That's the best part of the interview and alleviates some of my fears. I hope he stays true to his word.

falconzss

duckroll said:

very nice. hoped it would turn out this way. it's getting better and better.

great info! - thanks!...

amazing how well miyazaki 'gets it'. what with uncharted, mass effect, ace attorney, & many others, it's become very hard to pick a favorite new ip this gen. but i'm thinking that, over the long haul, the 'souls' franchise will be the one i'll remember most fondly, & be the most grateful for...

Thanks for the translation ! Very interesting and promising.

What he does rule out specifically is that they will not be selling items or cheats. They will never put out DLC which gives the player an option of paying to get something other than working for it in the game itself. Instead, DLC will only be considered if it fits into the online design and engine of the game, in a way where it is actually interesting to explore such an option

I hereby undertake to buy 2 copies of this game on release day because of this alone.

He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demon's Souls where all players could play together, and it's a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world.

Make that 3.

Souljiro

Is Dark Souls now just an Oblivion knock-off?

Oh no they didn't........lol

Where's my Dark Souls demo? Can I play with Japanese players this time?

- Miyazaki says there will probably not be a downloadable demo for the game, although they do plan on making the game playable at various events and playable sessions. The point he made is that the game is not one which can be easily explained or appreciated in a short period of time or in a small segment. He seems to feel that a playable demo of the game would be a waste of time for the developer and the players.

Now everyone all over the world can see where I die at. :)

Alright, with this interview and the details we got for the Becon Fire, almost all my worries have now vanished.

Fall 2011 can't come soon enough :(

Totalriot

Thank you for the translation, duckroll. Everything sounds great, except for this part:

- Miyazaki outright admits that he feels that the weapon customization/upgrade system in Demon's Souls was somewhat of a failure. He says that while Japanese players seemed to be okay with the complexity and vagueness of the system, overseas players sent many feedback letters which suggested that the system was too complicated and obscure for its own good. This is bad because players cannot fully utilize the system due to their failure to properly explain things. It will be improved in Dark Souls and they are considering this aspect very carefully.

I loved the weapon upgrade system. I've spend countless hours reading the strategy guide and considering which souls to put in which weapons.

duckroll

Totalriot said:
I've spend countless hours reading the strategy guide and considering which souls to put in which weapons.

But I think that's the exact problem with the game system. If you need a strategy guide to fully enjoy it, the game has failed as presenting it to the player properly.

duckroll said:
But I think that's the exact problem with the game system. If you need a strategy guide to fully enjoy it, the game has failed as presenting it to the player properly.

Nah, it's just very 1980s-1990s design philosophy, which a lot of people nowadays do not like. Kinda like we moved from reading thick manual to having tutorials integrated in all the games now.

I can see the appeal of complicated system, however as you translated this kind of design is way better received in Japan, than in the West.

duckroll

Castor Krieg said:
Nah, it's just very 1980s-1990s design philosophy, which a lot of people nowadays do not like. Kinda like we moved from reading thick manual to having tutorials integrated in all the games now.

I can see the appeal of complicated system, however as you translated this kind of design is way better received in Japan, than in the West.

The system being complicated is not the problem. The game explaining it poorly or making it too difficult for the player to get a good general overview on the system is. There is nothing wrong with the customization system in Demon's Souls in the design, the problem is in the implementation and presentation. How a game communicates with the player is the most important thing. If the player has to turn to other outside sources to better understand a basic gameplay system, then there is a clear problem there.

panda21

really good questions, good to see that someone harassed them about scamco DLC

also i've never heard the phrase dark ring before. i think they just mean in british 'ring' can be a euphemism for asshole in the right context, so if you have a dirty mind 'dark ring' can sound kind of.. dirty.

DodgerSan

Gattsu25 said:
Haha!:O

!!!Oh, I agree--It is substantially worse. I didn't know the British meaning behind Dark Ring, though
I'm British and I didn't know this either! Am I sheltered, or is it just obscure/regional?

I bet it's a Geordie thing

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Dark Race would have seriously expanded their potential demographic.

Eccocid

I hope Scamco does the right thing, after the game release with the intended content from director, they push studio to release DLC AREAS EVERY MONTH FOREVER!!!! lol

good to hear namco won't ruin the game structure with shitty DLC, like many western studios do or capcom with MvC 3.

anyway, my
dark ring
is ready.

Raide said:
Glad to see they are working on a better crafting system.

I loved the complexity of the system in Demons Souls. However, the vagueness is what really got to me. I hope they still give me things to grind and work towards but I have a sneaking suspicion they will.

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:

How can the need for strategy guide be construed as the game has failed to present itself properly?

Strategy guide implies depth. If everything you see is what you get, then that would be a shallow system

Weapon customization works fine in Demon's Souls, nothing too complicated about it. If Miyazaki feels that he wants to improve it, fine by me, but it doesn't mean Demon's Souls one is broken.

- He also confirms that Dark Souls is not just a worldwide game in terms of release, but also in the the online space. He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demon's Souls where all players could play together, and it's a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world

Nice!

Looks like players from Japan-Europe-North America can all play together now regardless of publishers or regions. Maybe that's why they're moving away from dedicated server system

Aurelius

TheExecutive said:
What's wrong with crystal gecko's?
I can never catch them and get frustrated.
And yes, I know about using the Thief Ring and bow and arrows...but still. Frustrating as hell if you need one piece of stone and can't get it another way.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well I don't know about the anus part, but Dark Rings sounds like Eternal Ring, which to me was the worst of all the team's games (which coincidently is the only title in the genre that did not have Shinichiro Nishida on scenario/map design, hmmm) under Naotoshi Zin, so Dark Souls wins for not going with that connotation and choosing a Demon's Souls link anywho.

Top Bottom