• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4hour PS3 game - what do you recommend

Kdad

I've got today off, my sweetie can't come over, its snowing like hell so I'm locking down for the day.

I want to start and finish a game today, so looking for a PS3 game I can finish in 4 hours or so (up to 6).

I'm a slow player generally, and prefer single player story based games (Think your typical SONY cinematic games) definitely not into fast twitch games...

What recommendations would you have that will tell me a bit of a story, not be super hard/frustrating and that I can enjoy in a day?

Kuranghi

Journey, Abzu or Flower.

All can be completed in under 4 hours, even if you take your time a bit. There is more to do that will take the time up to 8-10 hours probably, maybe less for Flower depending how you are at finding secrets.

Journey + Abzu have more "story", but you kinda have to look in the environment to find see it all with Journey especially and to a lesser extent, Abzu. Flower is pretty obvious in its message and nothing too thought provoking, except in the general sense that you will realise humans are bastards haha.

Last edited:

Fbh

Journey is nice and relaxing and takes maybe 2 or 3 hours.

Brothers: A tale of two Sons is also a lot of fun (it's like a single player coop game?). It's also like 3-4 hours long

Platinum had several games that are slightly longer (in the 6 hours range) like Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish. They get into that fast/twitch style but they offer easy modes that you can breeze through.

Kuranghi

Journey and Flower I've done (I need that powerline trophy for completion lol)...Abzu is a possibility...noted and thanks.

The one where you can't hit any of them during the level or is that during the sequence at the end? If its the end just go full speed and stay high, sorry thats not 100% great information, but you can do it by just holding a direction and beasting it I'm sure.

Did you also get the "Bloom 10,000 flowers" achievement?!?? I got it on PS3/4 but on PC I gave up lol.

If you haven't played Abzu, pleeeeeease play that. Its one of my favourites of all time because of the animation of the fish/characters, music and overall feeling of it. Its a masterpiece.

Kuranghi

Brothers: A tale of two Sons is also a lot of fun (it's like a single player coop game?). It's also like 3-4 hours long

Platinum had several games that are slightly longer (in the 6 hours range) like Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish. They get into that fast/twitch style but they offer easy modes that you can breeze through.

+1 on Brothers: AtotS, thats perfect if you want a game thats short, satisfying and has a great narrative pay off at the end. I was a sucker for ashing up those sheep as well haha.

Kdad

I've done Journey and Brothers...MGR and Vanquish are out of my comfort a bit but maybe a crack at one in easy mode...I'll check them out and keep them in mind...

Kdad

The one where you can't hit any of them during the level or is that during the sequence at the end? If its the end just go full speed and stay high, sorry thats not 100% great information, but you can do it by just holding a direction and beasting it I'm sure.

Did you also get the "Bloom 10,000 flowers" achievement?!?? I got it on PS3/4 but on PC I gave up lol.

If you haven't played Abzu, pleeeeeease play that. Its one of my favourites of all time because of the animation of the fish/characters, music and overall feeling of it. Its a masterpiece.
The one during the level....I've only tried it a few times and just never go back haha...I've got the rest :) ... I recall playing a tiny bit of Abzu but that was, I think, on my son's PS4? I'll def keep in mind before deciding, cheers.

Just looked it up...its the PURE trophy.

Last edited:

Korso

Hive (not great but decent enough story)
Homefront (toward the longer end 5-6hrs)
Trine (Typical fantasy story)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've got today off, my sweetie can't come over, its snowing like hell so I'm locking down for the day.

I want to start and finish a game today, so looking for a PS3 game I can finish in 4 hours or so (up to 6).

I'm a slow player generally, and prefer single player story based games (Think your typical SONY cinematic games) definitely not into fast twitch games...

What recommendations would you have that will tell me a bit of a story, not be super hard/frustrating and that I can enjoy in a day?

CoD4 Modern Warfare

Great 5 hour campaign. Beat it in one sit-down as a teenager. Has an easy mode if you just wanna cruise through the story. Pretty cool story.

Aion002

Resident Evil 0 or 1 Remake.

You can finish them in less than 4 hours if you know what you are doing or is using a guide. Heck, with a guide and pratice you can finish both in less than 3 hours.

Both are classics that you can always return to eventually.

Kdad

Hive (not great but decent enough story)
Homefront (toward the longer end 5-6hrs)
Trine (Typical fantasy story)
Did Trine, thanks. Homefront is a could be,I've played all the single player COD up until they got Jetpacks (WTF). HIVE i've not heard of nor am i finding on a google search...did you mean HAZE?

Kdad

CoD4 Modern Warfare

Great 5 hour campaign. Beat it in one sit-down as a teenager. Has an easy mode if you just wanna cruise through the story. Pretty cool story.
Good rec, i've done all the COD single player campaigns .. might be worth revisiting if I can't come up with something else today. Cheers.

Kdad

Resident Evil 0 or 1 Remake.

You can finish them in less than 4 hours if you know what you are doing or is using a guide. Heck, with a guide and pratice you can finish both in less than 3 hours.

Both are classics that you can always return to eventually.
...but if i dont know what i'm doing and i'm not using a guide...what is a typical playthough?

Have you played Rain? Pretty simple in terms of story and gameplay, but I remember liking the atmosphere and the game was pretty short.

220px-Rain_Cover_Art.png

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Good rec, i've done all the COD single player campaigns .. might be worth revisiting if I can't come up with something else today. Cheers.

I see. Well my last recommendations is Mortal Kombat 2011. Its a fun reboot of sorts of the original arcade trilogy. I'm not a big fighting game fan, and I certainly don't give a shit about their stories, but MK 2011 had a surprisingly fun & well done story mode. You can button mash, do not need to know elaborate combos or anything, and its about 5 hours.

Full playthrough here if you wanna get an idea:

Aion002

...but if i dont know what i'm doing and i'm not using a guide...what is a typical playthough?
4~17 hours each.

Depends on how direct you are and how much you are paying attention to the game files (*writing down puzzles and stuff). If you are an attentive player you can beat it quite fast, otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time wandering where to go.

You could start one of them on easy and do a quick playthrough with a guide for the puzzles and directions, they are still quite enjoyable that way. Also, Resident Evil 1 Remake is probably one of the best games of the genre ever.

Kdad

Have you played Rain? Pretty simple in terms of story and gameplay, but I remember liking the atmosphere and the game was pretty short.

220px-Rain_Cover_Art.png
Oh I remember thinking i might like that game back when it was in previews...I'll keep this one in mind...decision in about 20 minutes after PS3 updates are done lol.

ruvikx

Banned
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands can be finished in 4/5/6 hours or so & it was one of my own guilty pleasures back in the day. Amazing soundtrack (hello Steve Jablonski) & it's also pretty easy as well.

Kdad

4~17 hours each.

Depends on how direct you are and how much you are paying attention to the game files (*writing down puzzles and stuff). If you are an attentive player you can beat it quite fast, otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time wandering where to go.

You could start one of them on easy and do a quick playthrough with a guide for the puzzles and directions, they are still quite enjoyable that way. Also, Resident Evil 1 Remake is probably one of the best games of the genre ever.
I fear I'll be a 17 hour player...i tend to wander around in games haha....I'll keep it in mind for when i do want to play with a guide or can commit to more time...i've never played the RE series.

sainraja

You said PS3 game and a short one so if you happen to have it or if it is available on the PS store, then you could try Heavenly Sword?

P.Jack

If you like sidescrollers at all, give Bionic Commando Rearmed a shot. Fantastic remake of the NES version of Bionic Commando with a banging soundtrack. There are difficulty options too, so should be doable in four hours or less.

Kdad

Journey, Abzu or Flower.

All can be completed in under 4 hours, even if you take your time a bit. There is more to do that will take the time up to 8-10 hours probably, maybe less for Flower depending how you are at finding secrets.

Journey + Abzu have more "story", but you kinda have to look in the environment to find see it all with Journey especially and to a lesser extent, Abzu. Flower is pretty obvious in its message and nothing too thought provoking, except in the general sense that you will realise humans are bastards haha.
Just checked...no Abzu for the PS3...I'll keep in mind when i have access to my son's PS4. Cheers.

Kdad

You said PS3 game and a short one so if you happen to have it or if it is available on the PS store, then you could try Heavenly Sword?
I've been trying to get a hardcopy of this at a reasonable price haha...definitely want to play it, might not be today though :)

Kuranghi

Just checked...no Abzu for the PS3...I'll keep in mind when i have access to my son's PS4. Cheers.
Sorry, I'm a plonker. I forgot you said PS3. The "4hour" bit of the thread title confused me while I was thinking about Journey + Flower.

Last edited:

Kdad

So of those mentioned, I think RAIN might suit the bill today...though it was never part of PS+ so now I have to decide if i want o plunk down 15$ when I have scads of games I've never completed haha.

I did a search for 6hour games and 'The Swapper' came up...I have it on PSN already...any comments?

GrayFoxPL

So of those mentioned, I think RAIN might suit the bill today...though it was never part of PS+ so now I have to decide if i want o plunk down 15$ when I have scads of games I've never completed haha.

I did a search for 6hour games and 'The Swapper' came up...I have it on PSN already...any comments?
Puzzle platformer with a pretty great story. I haven't finished it yet because I tried to get everything. But without non essential stuff it may be short.

Edit:

Oh and Teslagrad is awesome too.

Last edited:

Kdad

Puzzle platformer with a pretty great story. I haven't finished it yet because I tried to get everything. But without non essential stuff it may be short.
Reviews seem good...I'll give it a go and if i'm really not into it i'll fire up 'flOw'...

Thanks all...I'll report back in ... hopefully 6 hours haha.

Kuranghi

Its a great puzzle game imo, depends how you get on with the puzzles, could take 3-4 hours or a lot more if you don't think how it wants you to think. I really liked the story as well, good philosophical pondering without flying up its own arse.

Last edited:

Kdad

Its a great puzzle game imo, depends how you get on with the puzzles, could take 3-4 hours or a lot more if you don't think how it wants you to think. I really liked the story as well, good philosophical pondering without flying up its own arse.
I'm not the best with puzzles (fuck you Monument Valley :) ) but the first hour has been good. I'm thinking i'll have to cheat though and that isn't the challenge I wanted today....I'm going to take 30 minutes away from it (im currently 'stuck') and see if i can make it through...

Kuranghi

I'm not the best with puzzles (fuck you Monument Valley :) ) but the first hour has been good. I'm thinking i'll have to cheat though and that isn't the challenge I wanted today....I'm going to take 30 minutes away from it (im currently 'stuck') and see if i can make it through...

If you still fancy a puzzle game and this one is annoying you maybe try The Talos Principle instead? It gets crazy hard if you want it to, but the first four hours will be pretty chill imo. You don't have to do everything to move on anyway so you can skip the harder ones.

Thats one of my favourite puzzle games ever, was blown away with how it keeps innovating and collecting the secret "stars" makes you feel like you've actually broken the game. The narrative is amazing too, I really enjoyed that part of it just as much as the puzzles themselves.

If you decide to try it give me a shout if you get stuck and I'll give you a nice hint.

yurinka

~4h or less games: Journey, Flower, Hohokum, Sound Shapes, Unfinished Swan
~7h games: Heavenly Sword, Echocrome, Little Big Planet 2
a big less than ~10h games: Puppeteer and Beyond: Two Souls, Little Big Planet

If you like sidescrollers at all, give Bionic Commando Rearmed a shot. Fantastic remake of the NES version of Bionic Commando with a banging soundtrack. There are difficulty options too, so should be doable in four hours or less.
I loved Bionic Commando Rearmed, but it's pretty hardcore/challenging. He/she is asking for not very challenging/frustrating games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom