• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K 120hz Firmware rollout begins for Sony X900H / XH90

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

ryan reynolds lol GIF by Lionsgate

Gold Member
Wow that’s pretty awful, feel bad for those buyers. Increased latency, worse HDR and 60FPS limit? Glad I went with my gut and got an LG - I was worried this would happen. Although, I have a PS5 so hopefully they don’t screw that up too!

Last edited:
With Sony being one of the cornerstone companies in the gaming hardware space, you'd think they of all people would be able to produce televisions that have the latest/greatest technology to make video games look and feel the best. This is especially bad when you set their TVs side-by-side with comparable Samsung and LG TVs and see that the Sony's are usually 10%-20% higher in price simply because of the brand name.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
3/4 of the way through the video he says Sony states this firmware is not final and "may contain bugs". In the "Sony says" section.
Yes it is the first Beta firmavare of two planned to delivery the VRR feature.

If I have to guess they are using that beta firmware to make some experiments… trying some solutions to see how it works.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never buy a tv with promised firmware updates. Right off the bat, you dont even know when the feature will even be available.

Wait for the tv to have it first and people do YT videos testing it. Or just buy a tv that has the feature from the start and check out rtings.com for review.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So because one company fucks it up, that means it's shit now?

SMH
I recall on some Samsung sets it fucked up the gamma accuracy too.

I totally get the appeal of VRR for PC gaming. G-sync monitors and all that, etc. But on consoles & TVs, VRR will become the go-to excuse for devs to deliver shittier performance in games and TV manufactures to deliver shittier image quality.

FranXico

Agree.....not sure how you release even a beta version in this state when you know folks are going to thoroughly test it.
Yes.
They really have to get their shit together, simple as that.
The console firmware should have been released with support for the feature. Instead, they held it back for crap like this...

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wow, this is terrible. Maybe they wanted to make it so bad that Sony PS5 owners think the tech is shit?

I kid, I kid.

Hopefully the second patch fixes it.

What a waste.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only watched the first minutes. VRR mode sounds like crap. Although at the 1:50 mark he made a mistake. VRR On is 21 ms, not 31 ms as he verbally said.

Fbh

Worst part seems to be the greyish blacks.
Hopefully they fix the 60hz issue too, though realistically on consoles I think VRR will be used more to smoothen out sub 60fps game rather than sub 120 ones.

But generally, I agree with other posters. When buying new tech base your decision on what the device is capable of at the point of purchase, not on some promised features to be added at an undefined later date.

Ayyy there ya go lads its the blessed variable refresh rate!

And look at that its shit.

Just gimme consistent v-synced framerates, thanks devs.

One model from a single manufacturer that didn't even launch with the tech and just got 1 out of 2 updates intended to enable the feature isn't great:

"Welp, guess we should throw this tech in the garbage"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Should've pointed out that it's X900H. Waiting for the rest of the newer panels.
Agreed really should say that even in the title just following the disaster that is my X900H I knew what it was referring to

Now to decide to return mine for this years model Sony or try the Samsung Q90A mini LEd TV

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Agreed really should say that even in the title just following the disaster that is my X900H I knew what it was referring to

Now to decide to return mine for this years model Sony or try the Samsung Q90A mini LEd TV

Cheers, mate! I'm waiting for the X90J although I really don't care about VRR but it's nice to know that everything is working as intended. I mainly need to upgrade to a 10-bit panel anyway. Warm regards!

Disclaimer: I golded myself.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Cheers, mate! I'm waiting for the X90J although I really don't care about VRR but it's nice to know that everything is working as intended. I mainly need to upgrade to a 10-bit panel anyway. Warm regards!
Yeah have been researching between that Samsung and that X90J at least THAT tv is supposed to be perfect for my PS5 (Even though when Best Buy was showing off the PS5 at my local store it was on the X900H saying it was the perfect PS5 TV)

Paw Paw Reaction GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah have been researching between that Samsung and that X90J at least THAT tv is supposed to be perfect for my PS5 (Even though when Best Buy was showing off the PS5 at my local store it was on the X900H saying it was the perfect PS5 TV)

Paw Paw Reaction GIF

Yeah sharing the same XR processor makes me think that it shouldn't face too much trouble. Although my main goal is to see 10-bit footage when color grading, should be a massive jump from 8-bit (Sony XD70).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I like the TV's but if you're in it for gaming the LGCX or newer is the way to go.

I bit the bullet and got a Denon gen 1 HDMI 2.1 receiver and feel the pinch too but the only thing I really can't do with it is pass through DV/120hz/4k at the same time. Otherwise it's a damn good AVR for the price.

Those aren't tears.

Thedtrain

I went with the x90j strictly because it was about $800 less for very similar performance. Been very happy with it so far

People love to talk about OLED TVs will spoil with time, but they never remember to mention that LCD screens are already spoiled from the factory with how much image quality degrades when you enable various modes and features.
How can anyone accept that drop in quality on game mode?

saintjules

In statements made to FlatpanelsHD Sony warns that the first VRR firmware is not final: "VRR has not been officially released for BRAVIA TVs. You can choose the VRR mode in the TV menu, but you may experience bugs. For the smoothest experience, we recommend waiting until VRR is officially released on BRAVIA TVs later this year," said Sony. The first update will be pushed out between October 6 and 13, and the second update for VRR will arrive later this year.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Sorry nope people were warned not to just hold out on a feature and they jumped headfirst I to buying it and this has been going on 2 years so I don’t feel they were tricked it was all about that Sony THUGGING LUV

Gotta give it to Sony they got some dedicated fans. Loyal even at their own peril. When I was TV shopping and saw they didnt have VRR but were promising it later my first thought was "fuck outta here". Ain't nobody running game on me.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I checked the box away but still have all the paperwork etc and confirmation email of purchase. Do I have grounds on a refund? If not can I pour coffee over the back of it and get my money back my 1 year guarantee ends in December

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why would anyone expect this to be fixed when this is coming insanely late in the first place?

"Wait for final judgement" is fair.. but... expecting much better seems.. flawed.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If someone cared about features like this why would they buy a sony tv in the first place? brand loyalty? Sony oled tvs are the best for movies but thats about it

Sony hasn't been my go to for gaming tv since the Trinitron days ten years ago it was Samsung now its LG (OLED) and Hisense (LED)

Last edited:
Top Bottom