• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gangs of New York is one of those not-actually-that-good movies I would totally watch again tomorrow. It's like McDonald's.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just dispatched 👍
MUgyKcj.jpg

Dispatched but still waiting.....🤨
RNm4ASj.jpg

On Pre-order
3bIBswZ.jpg

On Pre-order
Main Cover
RsI4rXS.png

Slip
3LuOUgN.png

Last edited:

Aggelos

Police Story followed by Armour of God are my favourite Jackie Chan films..
Speaking of which, I forgot I have this on Pre-order too

Shame Brad pass away ☹️

Ya, I was also deeply saddened by the untimely death of Brad Allan. Brought me back memories of when I first watched Gorgeous back in the Fall of 2000. Seeing Brad doin' his cool moves and stuff, I said to myself "Wait, what? Who the hell is this guy?".

• Love
Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Ya, I was also deeply saddened by the untimely death of Brad Allan. Brought me back memories of when I first watched Gorgeous back in the Fall of 2000. Seeing Brad doin' his cool moves and stuff, I said to myself "Wait, what? Who the hell is this guy?".

He was very talented and knew how to do comedy, his expressions had me in tears.

I was gonna pick up Dragons Forever on 4K
Z3zCj5b.png

But I'd literally just bought this version a few months before.
hQUPuzI.png

Still undecided 😕

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I really need to watch the Police Story films. I've only seen Supercop. Are we getting the 4k films in the US? I only see Bluray on amazon.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I really need to watch the Police Story films. I've only seen Supercop. Are we getting the 4k films in the US? I only see Bluray on amazon.
Police Story III for sure, but criterion might do 1 and 2 later.

I have no clue what's going on with IV. Really should have been included with the first 3.

The later ones aren't super in demand unfortunately. I actually enjoyed them myself even if they aren't in the tier as the originals.

Aggelos

TedATZQ.jpg

ByOOwu8.jpg

Special Features and Technical Specs:

DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • Not the Usual Mindless Boring Getting to Know You Chit Chat
  • Here are Some Facts on the Fiction
  • Enhanced Trivia Track
DISC TWO - BLU-RAY
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
  • Not the Usual Mindless Boring Getting to Know You Chit Chat
  • Here are Some Facts on the Fiction
  • Pulp Fiction: The Facts – Documentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Behind the Scenes Montages
  • Production Design Featurette
  • Siskel & Ebert "At the Movies" - The Tarantino Generation
  • Independent Spirit Awards
  • Cannes Film Festival – Palme d'Or Acceptance Speech
  • Charlie Rose Show
  • Marketing Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • TV Spots
  • Still Galleries
  • Enhanced Trivia Track
  • Soundtrack Chapters

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

King Kong (1976) 4K Blu-Ray gets released in Europe:
81kRISXa0pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

14003958-7064995406009155.jpg

Release date: Nov 28, 2022
The towering new 4K restoration of the 1976 event movie reimagining of the classic monster story, King Kong.

Primate palaeontologist Jack Prescott (Jeff Bridges) sneaks aboard an expedition to the uncharted Skull Island, warning the ruthless oil executive Fred Wilson (Charles Grodin) against exploiting its resources with an ominous message about "the roar of the greatest beast" from previous doomed explorers. En route they rescue aspiring actress Dwan (Jessica Lange), the sole survivor of a shipwreck.

Upon disembarking on the island they discover a strange primitive world of mystery and danger, where the natives live within the confines of a vast wall to protect them from the giant ape god, Kong. Dwan is abducted and offered as a sacrifice to the savage beast, before the crew rescue her and capture Kong to take him to New York. Wilson views him as a profitable Broadway attraction, but the ape has other ideas and escapes to rampage through the streets of the Big Apple.

Available on limited edition SteelBook featuring new artwork by Francesco Francavilla.
  • Extended TV Cut (180mins approx)
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Interviews with: Barry Nolan, Bill Kronick, Scott Thaler and Jeffrey Chernov, David McGiffert and Brian E. Frankish, Jack O'Hallor, Steve Varner
  • Original Trailer
  • Audio Commentaries with Ray Morton, Rick Baker

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-Kong-4K-Blu-ray/325504/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-Kong-4K-Blu-ray/325499/

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Good cover in the steelbook, I have never seen this version of King Kong.
Its very underrated. All of the special effects haven't aged well but I have always liked it. It has a good cast and great score by John Barry.

I don't like either of those covers. The steelbook looks better but I wish they would use the original poster:
King_Kong_1976_poster.jpg

Last edited:
https://a.co/d/78cy4bs

Heads up Fellas. Some good deals on Amazon today and tomorrow. Edge of Tomorrow and The Northman are down to 15
Thanks for the heads up, forgot it is the Prime Early Access deal or whatever.

Edit: for those looking for movies, I found it best to go to the Prime Early Access page, scroll down and then filter for movies. If I hit the movies tab it took me to the Amazon Prime Video section of the deal where everything would be online instead of physical media.

Last edited:
Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Came here to post about Pulp Fiction and realised I was way to late. It's finally happening!

Also saw Croupier is getting a release, excellent little gem of a movie but not sure it needed the beef-up.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hmmm.

Received (finally) my 4K Top Gun Maverick disc today. I don't know if I've been out of the loop on disc collection, but they usually come with both a blu ray and the 4K disc.

This has just got the single disc.

Don't know if this is the 'future' or just Paramount being cunts.

Aggelos

Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead (2004) in 4K by Shout Factory

K2V22Ho.jpg

DISC ONE (4K UHD – UNRATED CUT)

• NEW 2022 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative Of The Unrated Cut
  • Audio Commentary With Director Zach Snyder And Producer Eric Newman

DISC TWO (BLU-RAY – UNRATED CUT)

• NEW 2022 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative Of The Unrated Cut
  • Audio Commentary With Director Zach Snyder And Producer Eric Newman
  • Introduction To The Unrated Cut With Director Zach Snyder
  • Splitting Headaches: Anatomy Of Exploding Heads
  • Attack Of The Living Dead
  • Raising The Dead
  • Andy’s Lost Tape
  • Special Report: Zombie Invasion
  • Undead And Loving It: A Mockumentary
  • Drawing The Dead Featurette
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Hidden Easter Egg

DISC THREE (BLU-RAY – THEATRICAL CUT)

• 2K Scan Of The Interpositive
  • Take A Chance On Me – An Interview With Actor Ty Burrell
  • Gunn For Hire – An Interview With Writer James Gunn
  • Punk, Rock, & Zombie – An Interview With Actor Jake Weber
  • Killing Time At The Mall: The Special Effects Of Dawn Of The Dead – An Interview With Special Makeup Effects Artists David Anderson And Heather Langenkamp Anderson
  • Deleted Scenes With Optional Commentary By Director Zach Snyder And Producer Eric Newman
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Still Gallery

Andyliini

I have a question for Blu-Ray collectors. I have been looking for a Blu-Ray of Kingdom of Heaven. Around here, only one version of the film has been released, it has the director's cut and no extra material on it.
Anyway, I just found out that some releases (called Ultimate Edition, perhaps?) has a bonus disc on it, with a lot of extra material as well. The UK box does not list subtitles, but I read that while the movie does not have Finnish subtitles on it, the bonus disc does. If anyone has that, can you check which subtitles does the bonus disc include?

Aggelos

Last edited:

lachesis

Hi - I have a question regarding TLOR UHD.
I've been trying to find out reviews and impressions for it - but wanted to also hear GAF's opinion.

So here's the question. I recently watched theatrical versions of TLOR trilogy and Hobbit trilogy via Amazon Prime video streaming with my child, (Started w/ Hobbit: unexpected journey - and ended with Return of the king)

Now my she is really interested in TLOR series - and in process of reading the books now. I asked what she wanted for Christmas and she wants the Extended versions of the movies for Christmas, which I may spend my holidays watching them with ehr.

As I look thru the Amazon page, TLOR 4k sets are extremely expensive - some going 30 disc, $180 bucks or so, while regular 1080p bluray ones are in the fraction of cost.
I see they made some smoothing and sharpening effects for 4k (as far as I can tell on the screen shots) and changed color palette and all... and some scenes seems to have much more detail.
HDR seems to be also implemented with Dolby Atmos.

I don't have dedicated 4k UHD bluray player, but I do have PS5 and XSX. My TV is LG OLED C7, and Atmos compatible highend Sony Soundbar.

Should I go with 4k UHD ver of collection - or should I stick to just regular bluray extended version at the fraction of the cost?

Would love hear what you think of this matter.
Thank you in advance!

Edit:

Nevermind. Just ordered the 30 disc set thing for both Hobbit/TLOR collection. Kinda fell in love with the whole box and presentation.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Air Force 1 that is a bad cover.
Agreed. Usually when something is remastered in 4K, some of the old CGI looks really bad and fake. The final shot of the plane hitting the ocean always looked fake way back on VHS. I can’t imagine how bad it will look now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I've been trying to find out reviews and impressions for it - but wanted to also hear GAF's opinion.

So here's the question. I recently watched theatrical versions of TLOR trilogy and Hobbit trilogy via Amazon Prime video streaming with my child, (Started w/ Hobbit: unexpected journey - and ended with Return of the king)

Now my she is really interested in TLOR series - and in process of reading the books now. I asked what she wanted for Christmas and she wants the Extended versions of the movies for Christmas, which I may spend my holidays watching them with ehr.

As I look thru the Amazon page, TLOR 4k sets are extremely expensive - some going 30 disc, $180 bucks or so, while regular 1080p bluray ones are in the fraction of cost.
I see they made some smoothing and sharpening effects for 4k (as far as I can tell on the screen shots) and changed color palette and all... and some scenes seems to have much more detail.

I don't have dedicated 4k UHD bluray player, but I do have PS5 and XSX. My TV is LG OLED C7, and Atmos compatible highend Sony Soundbar.

Should I go with 4k UHD ver of collection - or should I stick to just regular bluray extended version at the fraction of the cost?

Thank you in advance!

Edit:

Nevermind. Just ordered the 30 disc set thing for both Hobbit/TLOR collection. Kinda fell in love with the whole box and presentation.
For some movies, the HDR lighting even in HDR10 with the TV maybe doing dynamic tone mapping is a game changer.

Light and colour with HDR/deep colour, especially 70’s and 80’s movies, feel wonderfully upgraded. It was impressive how much better Ghostbusters I looked. It made me feel like I was a kid watching it again, no joke.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Thank you in advance!

Edit:

You can buy movies anywhere copies of the movies at a fraction of the cost. So you would have digital only versions. I have the disk and think the 4k disk are worth it.

The digital copies do include theatrical and extended version.

I looked and on a Facebook movie marketplace they are $20 each trilogy.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I love that movie, can't wait

AJUMP23

Gold Member

I love that movie, can't wait
Great film.

I think Cameron wants to protect the oceans. With Titanic he even has the ocean win against the boat.

With Jimmy's track record we won't get the extended version of The Abyss and I'm pessimistic about the transfer as well after Terminator 2 Judgement Day piss poor transfer.

Top Bottom