• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

The Arrow Video Re-Animator Blu-ray is the best release yet. It's sourced from the same excellent 4K restoration that was first used on the German Blu-ray, but this time with a better encode from David Mackenzie. My only beef with the restoration is that there are vertical scratches that weren't cleaned up.

Arrow Video release also has the correct opening credits without the automatic scratch removal mistake of the German Blu-ray.

Yep. Unless you're a diehard fan of the R-Rated cut, which was omitted from this release, this Arrow set is the one to get. No framing issues, no weird DNR or compression going on, and the color timing is on point. You also get both Unrated and Integral cuts ( I think I still prefer unrated).

The scratches that Scavenger mentioned is a legit complaint, not sure why they didn't clean that up. Some will have issues (still) with the slightly soft image of this film, but that's Re-Animator and it's true to source.

Thanks you two- and yeah, it's a soft film to begin with. A 35mm viewing I went to really drove home how much of a drive-in feeling it has going for it.

III-V

Not the version I was planning to get, but I'm tired of looking/waiting and just found this in a Walmart (one that I never go to) bargain bin. I've been searching for any copy for like a year, and all I ever found was the DVD at Best Buy. Every other Blu-ray is always sold out or overpriced online.

I'm glad to finally have it. I've never seen any version of the movie...at least as far as I can remember. But I've always wanted to. I'm planning to watch this with my brothers before watching Blade Runner 2049.

watch the 3 prequels as well.

Blade Runner UHD Blu-ray is striving from Target early next week.

Time to find out what all the fuss is about.

I'm curious to see if others have the glitch at the end that mine does. Hope not. Be pretty terrible if it got recalled due to the wrong disc thing, and then people get it after all this time and the 4k discs have an annoying ass glitch in them.

OSHAN

I'm curious to see if others have the glitch at the end that mine does. Hope not. Be pretty terrible if it got recalled due to the wrong disc thing, and then people get it after all this time and the 4k discs have an annoying ass glitch in them.

No glitch here. That sucks man. Bought it day of release.

GTI Guy

What is the glitch? I watched mine till the end, although I did not watch the credits, and had no issue. This was on my Xbox one s

watership

It was but the new version has since been released. I am seeing it everywhere in Canada now.

Where did you see it? I've been trying to but in the Toronto area for a gift and can't find it. Amazon doesn't have it. 3rd party sellers only. Best Buy doesn't list it, and Walmart has never had stock.

Westonian

Watched it all the way through a couple of nights ago. No glitches or freezes here (Oppo 203).

What is the glitch? I watched mine till the end, although I did not watch the credits, and had no issue. This was on my Xbox one s

Watched it all the way through a couple of nights ago. No glitches or freezes here (Oppo 203).

I was gonna post a gif of it, but now it's not doing it. What the fuck!? I checked it twice on my Sony player and once on my Dad's Samsung. It was there before on both players. Now it's fine suddenly. I checked the disc before and didn't see anything on it or wrong. Bizarre stuff. I'll have to check it again later or tomorrow and see if it reappears.

Where did you see it? I've been trying to but in the Toronto area for a gift and can't find it. Amazon doesn't have it. 3rd party sellers only. Best Buy doesn't list it, and Walmart has never had stock.

I saw copies at the Empress Walk Best Buy north of Yonge and Shepard. I saw another store in Brampton in stock. Got mine from Sunrise.

I don't believe so, though don't be surprised if they wind up as extras when 2049 releases on disc.

Ah, thanks. I tried looking for other video sources, but couldn't find any. I'll just watch them on YouTube tomorrow with my older brother, then. We just finished watching Blade Runner: The Final Cut. I hadn't watched it before, and it's really good! Looking forward to watching Blade Runner 2049 soon. My older brother's watching it with a friend (who apparently wrote a paper on the first movie) on Sunday. I might go watch it with my younger brother after he gets back from a trip he's on.

Oh, yeah, this was also my older brother's first time watching a movie on my setup. He really likes it!

I wasn't sure if I should post this here, a different thread, or make a new thread about it myself.

So I came across this thread on another forum. Shows some pretty interesting leaks. Well, "leaks" cause I have no way to tell if its fake or not. Anyways according to this guy, other major studios are finally adapting the Disney Movie Anywhere model to allow purchases across platforms (like UV but for the legit services like Amazon, iTunes, etc.) Seems VUDU leaked it.

Evidence?
798cc474-382e-4d65-acfa-75327f0e2da7-jpeg.40980

a0cb2543-ee84-4ac2-99d0-fb09fa755077-jpeg.40981

ec5694cf-a0e8-408c-8924-c968ccdafbcc-png.40994

So yeah... Anyone know anything about this? Google turned up absolutely nothing on this.

I remember hearing some rumblings that Apple was contemplating joining UV, this seems way more likely and may be what they were talking about before it had a name

Shit. I'd be happy with an anamorphic widescreen dvd at this point. Been waiting nearly 20 years for even that little.
My DVD seems to be anamorphic. I bought it at Walmart for $5 back in March.

That, or my Blu-ray player is tricking me somehow. But I never messed with any DVD settings (just checked, and there aren't any), and even the menus had proper widescreen. I'll post some shots in a moment.

My DVD seems to be anamorphic. I bought it at Walmart for $5 back in March.

That, or my Blu-ray player is tricking me somehow. But I never messed with any DVD settings (just checked, and there aren't any), and even the menus had proper widescreen. I'll post some shots in a moment.
It’s not anamorphic. Your player is altering things. It is old fashioned letterboxed and not enhanced for 16x9 TVs. Same as Abyss. And it is a damn shame.

The Dolby Digital sound mix is still great though.

Yeah, on my laptop, it's showing up like this. I guess my Blu-ray player can detect that and adjust automatically. I didn't know that they could do that. It looked alright while I was watching it.

While the movie showed up like that on my laptop, the menus showed up in widescreen!

I did see it mentioned before that it wasn't anamorphic, but my Blu-ray player tricked me all of this time.

BdoUK

Alrighty, thanks!

Just watched True Lies on DVD. It really needs a Blu-ray and 4K release.

A few years back I used the DVD to redeem a digital copy of True Lies using Vudu's disc to digital program. While not great it's a much better transfer than the outdated DVD.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A few years back I used the DVD to redeem a digital copy of True Lies using Vudu's disc to digital program. While not great it's a much better transfer than the outdated DVD.

I've kept checking Vudu for True Lies over the last several years and it's still not there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Blade Runner UHD Blu-ray is arriving from Target early next week.

Time to find out what all the fuss is about.

Well it shows off hdr beautifully but for 4K you should watch something digital like planet earth 2. Blade runner resolution doesn’t look much better than 1080p version.

KevinG

Well it shows off hdr beautifully but for 4K you should watch something digital like planet earth 2. Blade runner resolution doesn’t look much better than 1080p version.
I’ve just never seen Blade Runner.

I expect it to be up my alley, but definitely didn’t expect the 4K aspect to blow my mind. Want to grab Planet Earth II when it drops in price a bit.

Smokey

Dunno if it's been posted, but Amazon is having a UHD promotion -- Buy 3 UHD movies for $49.99. Over 100 to choose from.

I already had 10, just copped 6 more with the promotion. May use this to fill out the collection some more later this week.

iTunes has Kong: Skull Island for rent for $3, figured fuck it. It should at least look pretty, right?

It looked great, at least on UHD Blu-ray.

Dunno if it's been posted, but Amazon is having a UHD promotion -- Buy 3 UHD movies for $49.99. Over 100 to choose from.

I already had 10, just copped 6 more with the promotion. May use this to fill out the collection some more later this week.

It looked great, at least on UHD Blu-ray.
That is a good deal. Unfortunately there isn't three titles there I REALLY want and I know I'll be able to get them on sale prices eventually. Good for people that find stuff they like.

Waiting for that Spider-man: Homecoming to release.

That is a good deal. Unfortunately there isn't three titles there I REALLY want and I know I'll be able to get them on sale prices eventually. Good for people that find stuff they like.

Waiting for that Spider-man: Homecoming to release.

Same.. thought about the planet of the apes ones.. but the trilogy set is $50 as it is.

I have most of the rest I'd want, or they're already on sale for $14.99-$20, which makes this not much of a sale.

Bleh. I want to spend money too!

Assume UHD disks follow the same region system as normal Blurays etc?

Would love to take advantage of that Amazon deal but I live in Australia, doubt they will work. If it changes anything my UHD player is an Xbox One S(And Xbox One X when it comes out).

Assume UHD disks follow the same region system as normal Blurays etc?

Would love to take advantage of that Amazon deal but I live in Australia, doubt they will work. If it changes anything my UHD player is an Xbox One S(And Xbox One X when it comes out).

UHD is region free, import away

I'm trying not to rebuy a bunch of movies I already own on blu, but how are the Wick movies in 4k? It's mostly those along with Sicario and Mad Max that I'm tempted to double dip on.

Dave_6

I'm trying not to rebuy a bunch of movies I already own on blu, but how are the Wick movies in 4k? It's mostly those along with Sicario and Mad Max that I'm tempted to double dip on.

They are both good and the second has some of the best HDR I've seen yet.

Thanks. I may bite on the first one now since it's only $14.99 and wait for a sale on the 2nd. Hopefully we'll see some good Black Friday deals.

John Wick is available today for $10.4 plus tax if you buy it at a store with the Target Cartwheel 20% off coupon. Target

Add the coupon to your account and present it in the store.

Haven't seen Baby Driver. Was curious to see if anyone here had seen the 4K version. Wondering how it looks.

Watched Kick Ass a few days ago. Looked good. Nothing mind blowing, but damn solid. Hit Girl "saving" Big Daddy and Kick Ass is such an amazing scene. Was worth getting the 4K just to see that moment.

Stiler

Got my baby driver 4k from best buy today, gonna pop it in later tonight and give it a go. Never did see the movie in theaters.

Top Bottom