• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

NateDog

Is Amazon Germany the only place in the EU to get the Blade Runner 2049 4K edition with the blaster replica which isn't €200 (supposedly went up for €140)? Thought I read Amazon France had it too but couldn't find it.

J_Viper

I preordered Spider-Man: Homecoming from Best Buy in 4k bluray and I got a 4k digital Fandago code free with it. Links with Vudu/Ultraviolet and is pretty damn sweet.

If anyone is thinking of picking the movie up that deal might be worth a look.
Weird, I had it pre-ordered for a while now, but I haven't received any codes in my email.

No big deal though, the actual film should come with one I think

I know this is a disc based community, but holy shit at Netflix's Mindhunters with Dolby Vision on an OLED. god dammnnn.
Technically, I did make this thread for discs, but a lot of discussion has been about digital and streaming 4K. So it's okay to talk about Netflix.

ZetaEpyon

WB came through on the Blade Runner replacement disc after I contacted them through their customer service form.

20171016_154748.jpg

So if you're missing the correct disc in the 4K set, don't hesitate to contact them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
got my TCL P605 this weekend. OMG my pleb Samsung days are over.. CLEARLY that was not HDR even though the set indicated it could accept HDR (2015 set).

Some observations:

Guardians Vol. 2 from Vudu... OMFG. I don't have a 4K player but somehow did get the 4K disc a month or two back which I happened to see redeemed to UHD on Vudu. Unquestionably a reference title

Netflix - this one is interesting. It all looked like shit on my Samsung.. like.. I could hem and haw justifying it, but really.. it was completely washed out. Now I see why. There isn't much of a pop here, but definitely there is a significant dynamic range with a pretty muted color palette. This is an example (GLOW, Marvel, etc) where it isn't going to wow, but there is an improvement.

Ghostbusters - So I saw the change on Ghostbusters on my Samsung (from iTunes), I didn't care for it. Now on a proper UHD HDR set.. I don't care for it. Way too bright with no film-like quality to it at all. Definitely prefer SDR here.

various YouTube content - spent about an hour yesterday morning watching various HDR content. damn...

did come across one oddity with the set.. and I think it affected Blade Runner.. so I went to watch American Werewolf in London last night on blu-ray.. was super happy to have a 24p set again so switched my PS4 over.. the movie just died. Picture broke up and fell apart constantly. Checked the disc. Flawless. Tried another movie, same thing.. Was beating my head against the wall.. Took apart my receiver, my PSVR, everything.. Always the same. Even weirder.. when I watched at 60hz, it was fine. Finally figured it out.. The default level of "medium" on MPEG Noise Reduction was dying on the movie because of the intense film grain on the 36 year old film.

so there was a similar thing in Blade Runner UHD on iTunes, where the smoke rising from the buildings in the intro looked REALLY messed up.. I attributed it to being stylistic.. but now I am thinking that Noise Reduction was dying on this also. Will have to check it tonight.

Anyway, I love this set. Absolutely amazing. Now just hoping Apple does the right thing and adds format switching to Apple TV 4K. Turn on HDR for HDR content, 24hz for 24fps content, otherwise leave it at 4K60 SDR.

Are you supposed to leave nice reduction on? I turned it right off on my TCL P607 and haven’t noticed any issues, and blade runner in iTunes looked great

Robot Pants

Uhhhh so I just got an email from Amazon saying T2 4k has been delayed (again) to December 31, 2018?!
What’s going on with this thing?

Hahaha

I hope they heard the backlash from the fans and decided to scrap the old sku and add a directors cut and 3D to the whole package.

It was posted here some days ago, but they said there was an issue with the 4K master. They have no idea when it will actually be ready, but have promised it is still coming at some point in the future.

Also, fuck the extended cut, which is not the directors cut. The directors cut is the superior theatrical version. I didn't realize it wasn't included on the 4K disc as an option, though. That seems crazy. When was the last time that movie was released without the extended cut included?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
a bunch of 4K movies have made their way back to iTunes. I saw this morning that Ex Machina, Mummy (2017), Independence Day, X-Men DOFP Rogue Cut, etc

The only one that has me bummed is Nice Guys 4K is still MIA. I love that movie.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anyway, I love this set. Absolutely amazing. Now just hoping Apple does the right thing and adds format switching to Apple TV 4K. Turn on HDR for HDR content, 24hz for 24fps content, otherwise leave it at 4K60 SDR.

Hey, you've come around on this! Those are really the only 3 settings you need.

Glad you're experiencing real HDR now, hehe. That's a good set. Kinda want to get one for my mom this Christmas.

It was posted here some days ago, but they said there was an issue with the 4K master. They have no idea when it will actually be ready, but have promised it is still coming at some point in the future.

Also, fuck the extended cut, which is not the directors cut. The directors cut is the superior theatrical version. I didn't realize it wasn't included on the 4K disc as an option, though. That seems crazy. When was the last time that movie was released without the extended cut included?

You're one of the only people I've seen that hated the extended cut. I always felt that most of what was put back into the extended cut was incredibly worthwhile, unlike most extended cuts of just deleted scenes. The only consistent gripe I ever saw was with restoring the dream Sarah has about Reese because they felt that it undermined her changed between movies.

I really want to get baby driver but the steelbook is sold out online, and the closest store that has it is just far enough to be inconvenient as hell.

Not buying the movie because the case that is available is not the case I want is the stupidest scenario I've ever created for myself.

ZetaEpyon

Interesting, did they make you send that disc in for replacement or they straight up just sent you the DVD?

Nope, just sent me the DVD. I filled out their customer service form, and got an email from the CS (who the letter is from), asking for my mailing address.

Couple weeks later, boom, here we are.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You're one of the only people I've seen that hated the extended cut. I always felt that most of what was put back into the extended cut was incredibly worthwhile, unlike most extended cuts of just deleted scenes. The only consistent gripe I ever saw was with restoring the dream Sarah has about Reese because they felt that it undermined her changed between movies.

I don't like the extended. None of my old man friends do, either

Nope, just sent me the DVD. I filled out their customer service form, and got an email from the CS (who the letter is from), asking for my mailing address.

Couple weeks later, boom, here we are.

Oh snap, nice. I'm surprised it was that easy. That's pretty much a no-brainer then, I guess I'll hit them up! More Blade Runner content is always a plus.

Stranger Things S1 released on blu ray today at Target stores. Nice to finally get HD sound, but the fact that you cannot skip the two trailers before the menus pop up is fucking terrible.

a bunch of 4K movies have made their way back to iTunes. I saw this morning that Ex Machina, Mummy (2017), Independence Day, X-Men DOFP Rogue Cut, etc

The only one that has me bummed is Nice Guys 4K is still MIA. I love that movie.

Fuck yes, Ex Machina. After it dropped back to HD it went on sale for a rental for $1 and i scooped it up, hoping it would go back to 4K before my 30 days to watch it were up

Are you supposed to leave nice reduction on? I turned it right off on my TCL P607 and haven’t noticed any issues, and blade runner in iTunes looked great

Definitely turn noise reduction off. When I first upgraded to 4K, certain parts of the image would look strange and I wasn't always seeing the detail I expected. I quickly discovered that my TV (vizio p) was interpreting a lot of the tiny detail as noise because it was much finer than in a 1080p source. I didn't even realize I had the feature turned on.

Turning it off instantly increased the amount of detail I was seeing on 4K discs and the weird visual anomalies stopped happening.

Weevilone

Does anyone know if the Blade Runner 4k has gotten its extra discs sorted out yet?
Or are they still sending the wrong ones?

I think content in the sales channel is old, thus the difficulty sourcing it. I was finally able to order the UK SE today, so heck with the US version.

Preorders are up on Amazon. TDK trilogy possibly on 12/5.

I was gonna mention this the other day, but thought maybe I was just being crazy and reaching. But, the Dark Knight Facebook page changed it's name to The Dark Knight Trilogy the other day. Was wondering if that had something to do with a re-release.

I honestly don't hate most of it. I use to prefer it, back when DVDs had me convinced that extended editions were better by default. But, I think most of it simply doesn't add anything of value. I mean, millions of people fell in love with the original cut, so that's kind of an obvious statement.

Things like the learning switch just seem pointless to me. Not bad, but not needed. Same with the T1000 scanning John's room (is this the one someone informed me isn't actually part of the extended cut a while back?). The dream sequence gets a little too premonition-y for me. Feels like less of a dream and more like Ghost Kyle actually visiting Sarah. Seeing Old (young) Sarah is done better later when we see Current Sarah looking through the fence at her old self and young John. Still kind of cool to see Kyle, I guess.

The only parts I actively hate are smiling Arnold, obviously, and glitching T1000. I think that straight up makes the movie worse. I like the T1000 being absolutely unstoppable up until the final moment. Fuck him glitching out throughout the entire final stretch. I don't like it. Gives a glimmer of hope that takes some of the tension away.

But, yeah overall I am mostly fine with it. I more just like to point out that it is not the directors cut; the theatrical version is. It's a pet peeve of mine, because I am crazy, and it's my favorite movie ever.

EDIT: there is more Miles in the extended cut, right? I might actually like that. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Been having problems with my set today (TCL605) and it may appear that certain apps will reset the settings for the display.

I have a digital UHD copy of Spidey Homecoming on Vudu so I started the app up and for the first time, I got a Dolby Vision notification rather than the standard HDR notification that pops up. The problem was the picture was really dark. I checked my settings: Bright, Dark Dolby, 100 Contrast, 50 Brightness, 100 Backlight. Looked fine there.

I jump to my FandangoNow library using the native tv channel, launch Spidey there. Picture is crisp, good brightness, not dark, same settings. Problem here is the screen cuts off and goes to that popcorn / no signal screen off and on. App appears to be bunk.

I then jump back to the native Vudu app, no notification, no dolby. still dark picture, my settings are reset and no option to choose Dolby (just movie). I try my UHD copies of Guardians 2 and Arrival on Vudu, and can't get either to play in 4K / HDR. A quick check in the Vudu settings show that 4K resolution is still my default setting.

I need to test my 4K discs and see if i notice any changes there.

The only other thing I can think of is my broadband is being bottlenecked?

Interstellar and Dark Knight Trilogy (as individual movies I mean) are all appearing on Best Buy's site now, too. All showing December 5th release and $25 each for Batman, $28 for Interstellar. No artwork. Hope they don't suck.

They also still have T2 up for October 31st funnily enough.

Westonian

Ralph Potts over on AVS gave Spiderman 4K a perfect 100 on the video score (with the HDR10 and DV being virtually indistinguishable).

Martin Liebman over on Blu-ray.com gave it a 4/5 or 80.

Potts gives a rundown of the gear the film was reviewed on, whereas the Blu-ray.com crew never do, and their 4K reviews have been getting wonkier.

I own 40 some-odd 4K discs now and Homecoming, while great looking, is not the best 4K transfer I've seen. So a perfect 100 is weird as well.

I like blu-ray.com for their news and title cataloging, but their 4K reviews are bad. However 4K reviews in particular seem untrustworthy from almost any source because HDR is such a fickle mistress.

Top Bottom