• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Interstellar and Dark Knight Trilogy (as individual movies I mean) are all appearing on Best Buy's site now, too. All showing December 5th release and $25 each for Batman, $28 for Interstellar. No artwork. Hope they don't suck.

They also still have T2 up for October 31st funnily enough.

Interstellar 4K.... drool

berzeli

Banned
I like blu-ray.com for their news and title cataloging, but their reviews are bad.
Fixed that for you.

Well, it depends on the reviewer but, Dr. Svet is a crazed trumper who can't review technical specifics for shit and refuses to admit when he's wrong (and he has been proven to be wrong in several instances). Oh, and his doctorate is something related to music, they still use his title 'cause it sounds fancier.

Dave_6

I'm salivating at the thought of TDK in 4K HDR with the correct color timing and no EE. Pretty much the same though with all of Nolan's films.

So what’s a reputable site if I wanted to buy iTunes digital codes on the cheap?

No clue, but usually I check for sales on iTunes gift cards then check the iTunes store each week to see what gets discounted. It's where I buy most of my TV seasons usually. For films, I usually just buy disc based stuff and use the digital copies to get the iTunes version for traveling.

No clue, but usually I check for sales on iTunes gift cards then check the iTunes store each week to see what gets discounted. It's where I buy most of my TV seasons usually. For films, I usually just buy disc based stuff and use the digital copies to get the iTunes version for traveling.

Oh I do that as well. Not the discs, but the discounted iTunes gift card

I’ve used both HD Movie Codes and Happy Watching and had no issues. I received all codes I’ve ordered very quickly.

Thank you! So the idea is if I redeem an HD code in iTunes I’ll get the 4K version anyway?

Edit: so I buy a Power Rangers code to test this out, and of course it’s one where it used to be 4K and now it’s not...

Edit 2: yay, redeeming an iTunes HD code gets me 4K, verified with the playback HUD and everything!

I honestly don't hate most of it. I use to prefer it, back when DVDs had me convinced that extended editions were better by default. But, I think most of it simply doesn't add anything of value. I mean, millions of people fell in love with the original cut, so that's kind of an obvious statement.

Things like the learning switch just seem pointless to me. Not bad, but not needed. Same with the T1000 scanning John's room (is this the one someone informed me isn't actually part of the extended cut a while back?). The dream sequence gets a little too premonition-y for me. Feels like less of a dream and more like Ghost Kyle actually visiting Sarah. Seeing Old (young) Sarah is done better later when we see Current Sarah looking through the fence at her old self and young John. Still kind of cool to see Kyle, I guess.

The only parts I actively hate are smiling Arnold, obviously, and glitching T1000. I think that straight up makes the movie worse. I like the T1000 being absolutely unstoppable up until the final moment. Fuck him glitching out throughout the entire final stretch. I don't like it. Gives a glimmer of hope that takes some of the tension away.

But, yeah overall I am mostly fine with it. I more just like to point out that it is not the directors cut; the theatrical version is. It's a pet peeve of mine, because I am crazy, and it's my favorite movie ever.

EDIT: there is more Miles in the extended cut, right? I might actually like that. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

The part with the T-1000 scanning his room was one of the still-excised scenes that were added in the Ultimate Cut version, along with the alternate happy-sappy ending where JD doesn't even happen. I'm not a fan of either thing because why?

A lot of the smaller pieces added for the DC/EC version (Cameron actually approved both of this and the TC, just prefers the TC) I rather like just because a couple of them tighten small continuity up a tiny bit. Super small things like the T-1000 stealing the cop car, him killing the dog and checking his collar, etc, just add tiny bits.

The scene with Dougie and the other nurse shocking Sarah to force her to take her pills just adds more "these guys are assholes" to it, so it's a take it or leave it. You're supposed to hate them anyway. :p

I actually really like showing them reprogramming the T-800 a bit, mainly because Sarah trying to destroy the chip is totally in character and one of the moments where her (well-founded) paranoia could have cost them the ability to defeat the T-1000. It was silly to have to unlock its ability to learn, which was the leading-in point of the scene, so... this one is tough to defend when the lead-in is dumb but the main reason for the scene in general is great.

Smiling Terminator is really weird, yes. The talk he and John have while grabbing ammo, OTOH, is not.

I'm on the fence about the glitching, though. I'm with you that it's good to think of him a some otherwise unstoppable machine, but showing that he does, indeed, have weakness is also good.I think one of or two of those small things being gone is fine, as the one with his rippling was left in anyway, but the one brief shot where John looks at the fake's feet and is more easily convinced of which one is real is good because it's better than taking a super shitty gamble of which Sarah is real or not.

I just ordered The Royal Tenenbaums (Criterion Collection). Really looking forward to it. Haven't watched that movie in years and never seen it on Blu-ray. And it's my first Criterion Collection Blu-ray.

I bought a Sony x800 player along with my x900 TV in early October and realised I'd just missed the window for the two free Sony 4k movies that came with the x800 purchase. I figured I'd email customer service to ask if they could work me into the deal still and was told no, but was given an email for their escalations group. So I went back to them with the same ask and was again told no. Now today, 9 days after being told no, they randomly message me with a redemption code ;)

It never hurts to ask I guess.

can't believe Sony hasn't released The Fall in UHD Blu-ray yet. It's perfect for HDR and was pushed as a reference Blu-ray disc years ago.

tbm24

Ralph Potts over on AVS gave Spiderman 4K a perfect 100 on the video score (with the HDR10 and DV being virtually indistinguishable).

Martin Liebman over on Blu-ray.com gave it a 4/5 or 80.

Potts gives a rundown of the gear the film was reviewed on, whereas the Blu-ray.com crew never do, and their 4K reviews have been getting wonkier.

I own 40 some-odd 4K discs now and Homecoming, while great looking, is not the best 4K transfer I've seen. So a perfect 100 is weird as well.

I like blu-ray.com for their news and title cataloging, but their 4K reviews are bad. However 4K reviews in particular seem untrustworthy from almost any source because HDR is such a fickle mistress.
Given you own Homecoming in 4K Blu-ray, any chance you’ve compared it to a digital copy (streaming)? I got it free as a promo for buying an X900E and my wife hasn’t seen it yet so I’m eager to give it a watch in 4K HDR. I’m also on a trip of only wanting to see 4K HDR content in the best way I possibly can. I don’t own digital movies so I don’t know if streaming it or downloading it to an external hard drive would compare to the disc(if it doesn’t I’m going to buy the disc copy before watching it).

Given you own Homecoming in 4K Blu-ray, any chance you’ve compared it to a digital copy (streaming)? I got it free as a promo for buying an X900E and my wife hasn’t seen it yet so I’m eager to give it a watch in 4K HDR. I’m also on a trip of only wanting to see 4K HDR content in the best way I possibly can. I don’t own digital movies so I don’t know if streaming it or downloading it to an external hard drive would compare to the disc(if it doesn’t I’m going to buy the disc copy before watching it).

Digital will look damn good. But, an actual disc should always look better.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ugh. The purist in me wants to look at 4K Blu-ray, but then there is the part of me who after 25 years is sick of collecting discs (starting with laserdisc)

So torn.

After around 150 laserdisc, over 800 DVDs, and currently around 300 Blu-rays... I think it’s time to just stay digital.

Nipo

Ugh. The purist in me wants to look at 4K Blu-ray, but then there is the part of me who after 25 years is sick of collecting discs (starting with laserdisc)

So torn.

After around 150 laserdisc, over 800 DVDs, and currently around 200 Blu-rays... I think it’s time to just stay digital.

I've gone digital for movies I just want to see and steel book for movies i love. Digital codes are only 6-9 dollars online and the steel books look awesome as a collection.

louiedog

So torn.

After around 150 laserdisc, over 800 DVDs, and currently around 300 Blu-rays... I think it's time to just stay digital.

My local public library has been great about blu-ray so when I really want the highest quality I go to them and they have most titles I'm interested in. Most of the time I'm okay just streaming. Having both available has kept me from collecting discs like I used to. I'm hoping they shift to UHD at some point as well.

Westonian

It's potato quality, but there is definitely a brightness and detail advantage with the 4K disc vs Vudu stream. For reference my internet is wired 250 Mbps down.

Vudu UHD:
AEwXTbN.jpg

4K BRD:
Pba41E1.jpg

KevinG

I really want to own Baby Driver and Homecoming in UHD, but these discs are so stupid expensive, and I don’t see launch UHD releases dropping to affordable launch Bluray prices anytime soon.

Holding out for some good Black Friday deals, but not really counting on it.

I really want to own Baby Driver and Homecoming in UHD, but these discs are so stupid expensive, and I don’t see launch UHD releases dropping to affordable launch Bluray prices anytime soon.

Holding out for some good Black Friday deals, but not really counting on it.

I sell my digital codes for like $5 here. That brings them down a little bit in overall cost.

KevinG

I sell my digital codes for like $5 here. That brings them down a little bit in overall cost.
I hoard everything that comes with it. Haha.

I don’t ever actually watch the DVDs that come with Blurays, or the Bluray that comes with the UHD disc. Digital copies I watch often enough if I’m feeling lazy.

borghe

Wow, the Vudu is complete garbage compared to the blu-ray.

something actually looks really off there. not sure if it's TV settings, something going on with Vudu at that moment.. what.. but you see virtually NO definition on his suit except a slight bit in the blue part.. despite UHD streaming not having a problem at all with resolution.. you see edge ringing around like almost every edge in the picture on Vudu.. which is typically something you would do/see in the master, not in an encode (or TV settings). You also clearly see the pixels on the screen in the BD pic but all of the pixel definition is absent in the Vudu pic.

not saying the Vudu pic is misleading or intentional... but there is definitely a difference between the two pics far beyond the bitrate difference.

tbm24

It's potato quality, but there is definitely a brightness and detail advantage with the 4K disc vs Vudu stream. For reference my internet is wired 250 Mbps down.

Vudu UHD:

4K BRD:

Thanks for this! Good to know the difference is so pronounced. Will be grabbing the UHD Blu Ray copy. I will say, this definitely turns me off on the idea of digital 4K HDR content. Since I've gotten this TV, all I've had is digital content to test(excluding PS4 Pro titles).

borghe

Thanks for this! Good to know the difference is so pronounced. Will be grabbing the UHD Blu Ray copy. I will say, this definitely turns me off on the idea of digital 4K HDR content. Since I've gotten this TV, all I've had is digital content to test(excluding PS4 Pro titles).

again, I would be wary making any final decisions on quality based on those two pics.. there is clearly more going on in those pictures than just bitrate differences.

Westonian

something actually looks really off there. not sure if it's TV settings, something going on with Vudu at that moment.. what.. but you see virtually NO definition on his suit except a slight bit in the blue part.. despite UHD streaming not having a problem at all with resolution.. you see edge ringing around like almost every edge in the picture on Vudu.. which is typically something you would do/see in the master, not in an encode (or TV settings). You also clearly see the pixels on the screen in the BD pic but all of the pixel definition is absent in the Vudu pic.

not saying the Vudu pic is misleading or intentional... but there is definitely a difference between the two pics far beyond the bitrate difference.

I will say it looked a lot better in motion from regular viewing distance than that picture suggests. The other problem is the Vudu app does not allow for frame stepping, so I was trying to find a screen with action, but not processed motion blur, and having to pause it at the right second. I don't know if that also causes stream quality issues either.

All that said, even in motion from viewing distance the disc completely outpaced the Vudu stream. And that doesn't even take into account the gulf in audio quality.

Big Blue

Ralph Potts over on AVS gave Spiderman 4K a perfect 100 on the video score (with the HDR10 and DV being virtually indistinguishable).

Martin Liebman over on Blu-ray.com gave it a 4/5 or 80.

Potts gives a rundown of the gear the film was reviewed on, whereas the Blu-ray.com crew never do, and their 4K reviews have been getting wonkier.

I own 40 some-odd 4K discs now and Homecoming, while great looking, is not the best 4K transfer I've seen. So a perfect 100 is weird as well.

I like blu-ray.com for their news and title cataloging, but their 4K reviews are bad. However 4K reviews in particular seem untrustworthy from almost any source because HDR is such a fickle mistress.

Funny, the consensus on the forums is that Liebman was right about this release. With that said, Blu-ray.com bases their reviews on whether it merits an upgrade over the BD version. They have stated that explicitly.

borghe

I will say it looked a lot better in motion from regular viewing distance than that picture suggests. The other problem is the Vudu app does not allow for frame stepping, so I was trying to find a screen with action, but not processed motion blur, and having to pause it at the right second. I don't know if that also causes stream quality issues either.

All that said, even in motion from viewing distance the disc completely outpaced the Vudu stream. And that doesn't even take into account the gulf in audio quality.

right. by no way am I implying there is any sort of shenanigans, or that the BD isn't a marked improvement over Vudu.. and that you have to pause it in the middle of processing vs. a player being able to effectively "assemble" an actual film frame fro the H.265 data..

UHD streaming and even HD streaming doesn't usually result in a loss of detail. AVC and HEVC are more than capable of handling detail information from one frame to the next at the bitrates used for modern streaming. Where you see the difference is what's typically called "volume". It's usually a richer picture (color information is the first compromise in lowered bitrates). stuff like the loss of detail and the edge ringing in the Vudu pic show there's something weird going on there.. either in the stream, the TV settings, or the camera.

as for audio I think by now it's clear we will never get TrueHD from streaming services.. it is what it is.. at 42 years old I don't think my ears can even tell a difference any more which is a shame. fortunately the Atmos data can be applied over TrueHD or Dolby+ in either case.. but yeah for younger/better ears.. I can see that as a benefit.

like I said.. I really struggle with for the first time not getting the BEST copy of a movie (again as someone who started with laserdisc). but from looking up visual differences for the last few weeks.. there doesn't seem (to me) to be enough difference there to deal with starting a new physical collection of what usually ends up being a few hundred cases (of varying sizes :p). Certainly not the differences in those pics.

I would strongly suggest people make their own comparisons on their own sets as to the differences.. short of direct capture I think we are beyond the point where we can see the differences in photos.

tbm24

again, I would be wary making any final decisions on quality based on those two pics.. there is clearly more going on in those pictures than just bitrate differences.

I understand, I was mainly looking for confirmation on whether there's a noticeable difference between the digital copy and the blu ray copy as again I have no experience really with digital movies compared to blu rays(I buy my movies on bluray unless it's something that's stream only, Just this time a Sony Promo gave me homecoming for free digitally). I'm just looking to get the absolute most out of my x900E.

Westonian

UHD streaming and even HD streaming doesn't usually result in a loss of detail. AVC and HEVC are more than capable of handling detail information from one frame to the next at the bitrates used for modern streaming.

Is that entirely true though. I remember a really specific example shown over on AVS of the new 4K streaming master of Charade.

Streaming:
http://www.davidrfoley.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/18947720063_02255a9f77_o.jpg

1080p Blu-ray:
http://hdmag.cz/files/shots/charade/png/003.png

The grain is gone, and finer detail in his jacket (look at the zipper) is missing. And that first shot was a promo from Ultraflix about how amazing their compression and streaming tech is!

J_Viper

I will say that Homecoming is the least impressed I've been so far with a UHD disc. Perhaps it's due to the smaller scale of the film, but I wasn't wowed on a visual level at any point. If someone had swapped in the 1080p disc in the middle of viewing, I don't think I would have noticed.

Great film though.

I’ve reported a vudu problem on my end on last page and reported to them. My picture shows even less detail than the image shown above and is just faking dark. Seems to be a last revision problem

Westonian

I’ve reported a vudu problem on my end on last page and reported to them. My picture shows even less detail than the image shown above and is just faking dark. Seems to be a last revision problem
Yeah, it was substantially darker. I double checked my TV settings and they are the same I use HDR discs.

borghe

Is that entirely true though. I remember a really specific example shown over on AVS of the new 4K streaming master of Charade.

Streaming:
http://www.davidrfoley.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/18947720063_02255a9f77_o.jpg

1080p Blu-ray:
http://hdmag.cz/files/shots/charade/png/003.png

The grain is gone, and finer detail in his jacket (look at the zipper) is missing. And that first shot was a promo from Ultraflix about how amazing their compression and streaming tech is!

Netflix looks like a different master (interlaced?)

And I am not sure about Ultraflix. Apple has ~7-10Mb for HD streams.. here is an early comparison from when iTunes launched HD

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/03/the-ars-itunes-1080p-vs-blu-ray-shootout/

most of the deficiencies came down to color, with some motion. Detail was generally not an issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...llar-blu-ray-vs-itunes-vs-vudu-vs-amazon.html

another more recent example. in most cases almost all sharp detail seems to be maintained.. with only the sharpest detail and more clarity being resolved on the blu-ray.

blu-ray is better. period. but that UHD Vudu pic above is not consistent with the level of difference we've come to expect between blu-ray and Vudu/iTunes. That's all I Was really saying.

Smokey

I have made it a mission to only go after UHD discs when I can. I want the best PQ possible. They are expensive though, and it adds up.

I just want my equipment to be at its best.

Nipo

Anyone have any opinions on this Philips 4K Player it's the cheapest model I can find (now on clearance at Best Buy) and seems to have pretty good reviews, but wondering if this Sony Player Would be worth the extra $110 dollars.

Do you have a sams club membership? The upgraded model with dolby vision is only $160. I haven't tried it but reviews i've read say it is functional but not exceptional.

Unrelated: Looking at Best Buys Black Friday Flyer it looks like they are doing 45 4k movies for 17.99 each. I'm sure most will be duds but hopefully some good ones are in there too.

Nipo

At the very top of the page it says it's the 2016 ad.

Wow. i feel really dumb. I ad blocked the element without even reading it thinking it was a banner ad. I kept looking at the page and just seeing "Best Buy Black Friday Ad for 2017" and having no idea what you were talking about until i disable ublock.

Aske

Are any of you using the Sbone as your UHD disc player? I've been having issues, and wondered if they were common - or if anyone has dealt with them while watching UHD discs on other dedicated players.

Are you noticing the framerate suddenly dropping, like the player has to catch up to the movie, or suddenly increasing as if it's trying to catch up with itself?

Might just be my player, but I sent it in under warranty, and the issue persists. Doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough that I'd like to switch.

Are any of you using the Sbone as your UHD disc player? I've been having issues, and wondered if they were common - or if anyone has dealt with them while watching UHD discs on other dedicated players.

Are you noticing the framerate suddenly dropping, like the player has to catch up to the movie, or suddenly increasing as if it's trying to catch up with itself?

Might just be my player, but I sent it in under warranty, and the issue persists. Doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough that I'd like to switch.

It's not just you. Plenty of us have had issues with the XOne as a 4K player. I ditched mine a couple of months ago for a standalone player and couldn't be happier.

Aske

It's not just you. Plenty of us have had issues with the XOne as a 4K player. I ditched mine a couple of months ago for a standalone player and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for confirming - such a shame so many of us have been dealing with sub-par performance with the system. I'll try and grab whatever the cheapest decent player is on Black Friday.

borghe

So I watched two classic horror flix on Shudder last night. Night of the Creeps and Revenge of Dracula. I set my Apple TV to 24p SDR and notice it’s all jerky. I set it to 60p and look at the hud. Both movies are 30fps....... Why!!!??? So it would seem Shudder reencodes everything.. not sure how else they would get 30fps files..

Top Bottom