• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

It's a Wonderful Life 4K Blu-ray Review

Ad Astra 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray (December 17)
11249.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Deleted Scenes with Optional Audio Commentary by James Gray
    • "The Void"
    • "Epilogue"

• To the Stars
  • A Man Named Roy
  • The Crew of the Cepheus
  • The Art of Ad Astra
  • Reach for the Stars
  • Audio Commentary by Director James Gray
  • Space Age: The VFX
4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • Audio: English Dolby Atmos, English Descriptive Audio 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, and French DTS 5.1
  • Subtitles: English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Spanish, and French

Midsommar 4K Blu-ray (Italy-November 13)

Last edited:
Batman Beyond: The Complete Series Blu-ray Review
Arriving on Blu-ray from WB, Batman Beyond features a 1080p MPEG-4 AVC encoded high definition presentation in the original broadcast aspect ratio of 1.33:1 full frame. The series has been newly remastered using the best available elements. 41 episodes from the series run have been given excellent new scans from the original 35mm source footage or from the digital camera negatives. The remaining 11 episodes did not have available prints for brand new scans to be produced (due to time-related damage to the original materials) and were given an upscaled presentation utilizing a standard definition source.

The affected episodes are mostly from the second-half of the second season (and there is one episode of the third and final season which was also affected). The affected episodes were each presented with an upscaled presentation as follows:

Season 2:

"Eyewitness", "Final Cut", "The Last Resort" "Armory", "Sneak Peek", "The Eggbaby", "Zeta", "Plague", "April Moon", "Sentries of the Lost Cosmos"

Season 3:

"Speak No Evil"

An 8K disc format is unlikely. Here's why

We’re probably not going to see a new optical disc format with higher capacity, using shorter wavelength lasers (never mind the fact that ‘UltraViolet’ discs would be terribly confusing), but 8K video could probably be squeezed onto the current 100GB BD-ROM 3.0 discs with decent quality when using new codecs like VVC. While such standardization would involve much less effort than previous video disc formats, it’s unlikely to happen for now considering a complete lack of 8K content and an installed base of 8K TVs that will take years to grow.

Last edited:
Kino: The Man with No Name Trilogy 4K Blu-ray Release Canceled
The tentative release of the Leone/Eastwood 'Man with No Name' trilogy on 4K Blu-ray is now cancelled. We know this news is very disappointing to the fans of the films and format, as it is to us, but after some extensive tests and potential costs of creating newly color-graded HDR Dolby Vision masters, we decided to confirm this cancellation. We will continue to support the format and plan to release three yet-to-be-announced titles on 4K Blu-ray in 2020, and are working on some more projects.

Amory

What are y'all looking to pick up on Black Friday? Any good deals? I haven't really looked yet.

Hoping I can grab some of the new Pixar UHDs, it's a wonderful Life, John wick 3, and the Cornetto trilogy on sale

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
What are y'all looking to pick up on Black Friday? Any good deals? I haven't really looked yet.

Hoping I can grab some of the new Pixar UHDs, it's a wonderful Life, John wick 3, and the Cornetto trilogy on sale

Black Friday deals spreadsheet courtesy of the Blu-ray.com forums.

I’ll probably hit up Best Buy for some blus and whatever else. Maybe some games. Not really looking for anything in particular this year.

kunonabi

I'm hitting best buy but i still need to check out the other deals. I'm still pissed I didnt get the big universal monster collection when it was on sale.

Last edited:

kunonabi

So including all my recent BF, etc. pickups my 4K collection now looks like:

Alien
The Amazing Spider-Man Collection
Apocalypse Now
Batman Returns
Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Dark Crystal
The Fifth Element
First Blood
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Halloween[original]
Hellboy[original]
Hulk
It's a Wonderful Life
The Karate Kid
Labyrinth
Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Pacific Rim
Pet Sematary
Phantom Thread
Predator 3 - Movie Collection
The Punisher[2004]
Rambo
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
The Shining
Space Adventure Cobra
Suspiria[original]
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
The Wizard of Oz

I also got some MCU flicks but I don't really feel like including them.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'll pick up the Mission impossible films on 4K. I've always been annoyed that the first 3 only have Dolby digital audio. It's bullshit.

I went light this year, I think I only ended up getting the Apocalypse Now 40th set from Amazon. Most of the other ones on sale I'd already bought earlier this year.. could have saved so much money!

Oh well, isn't that always the way?

vpance

It's a very slow burn, rent and watch first if you can. Some of the visuals are very nice though, I must say.

I imagine it will look pretty fantastic. The movie itself is alright. A little heavy on unnecessary narration but it's got this really cool vision of the future.

Cool, will keep an eye out for the reviews. The trailers gave me Interstellar and Solaris vibes. If the Atmos mix is solid I'm in.

sol_bad

Cool, will keep an eye out for the reviews. The trailers gave me Interstellar and Solaris vibes. If the Atmos mix is solid I'm in.

I didn't think there was anything amazing about the audio in the cinemas personally, but again, we are all different and like different things.
^__^

From Blu-ray.com The runtimes of the special features (Ad Astra):
Deleted scenes (3:25 minutes)
To the Stars (8:35 minutes)
A Man Named Roy (8:45 minutes)
The Crew of the Cepheus (9:08 minutes)
The Art of Ad Astra (1:15 minutes)
Reach for the Stars (7:21 min)

Exclusive Digital special feature:
Ad Astra - Space Age: The VFX (8:10 minutes)

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Joker 4K Blu-ray January 7

11320_tn.jpg

Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook

6372534_sa.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Target Exclusive Packaging (Blu-ray)

GUEST_6d6a6283-d304-4ba7-b296-b6809e4366cf

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
    DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
  • Joker: Vision & Fury
  • Becoming Joker
  • Please Welcome… Joker!
  • Joker: A Chronicle of Chaos

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Some pickups I got from sales and such:

John Wick trilogy 4K steelbook
The Shining 4K steelbook(haven't seen this in like 15 years, gonna watch it again right before I see Doctor Sleep)
Blade Runner 2049 4K
Ex Machina 4K
Dunkirk 4K
The Last Samurai blu ray steelbook
Mission Impossible Fallout 4K steelbook
Interstellar 4K
Gladiator 4K
Whiplash blu ray steelbook
Alien complete collection blu ray steelbook
Alien 40th anniversary 4K steelbook

kunonabi

Ordered Gremlins 4k and Hellboy II: The Golden Army 4K last night

Watched It's a Wonderful Life and The Wizard of Oz 4k releases and they turned out great especially It's a Wonderful Life. Oz doesn't really start to pop until they reach the Emerald City.

Going to try and watch the 4k releases of Predator and Predator 2 tonight.

Watched It's a Wonderful Life and The Wizard of Oz 4k releases and they turned out great especially It's a Wonderful Life. Oz doesn't really start to pop until they reach the Emerald City.
Last year, i watched It's a Wonderful Life (4K DV stream), and it looked really good.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
oh yeah
Is that the torrent labelled as 4k77? I have heard about it and I'd like to re-watch the film as it originally was.
Yep. Make sure to get the one without DNR unless you're a chucklefuck. Also for V there's only 1080p scans currently.

4K77 (v1.4 no DNR) looks really good. The most recent update about 4K80 (November 2019)
The best elements from all the film prints we have access to will be combined and restored to the best of our abilities. Unlike the pristine Return of the Jedi print which needed very little work, this project is expected to take at least two years – many of the sources are faded, and have at least as much damage (perhaps even more) as the Star Wars prints we were working with.
DNR sucks, it's why I still haven't bought Predator .... or has that finally been fixed?
I have watched the 4K stream, it's a very good transfer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom