• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We watched The Wizard of Oz 4K last night and it was absolutely fucking mind-blowing. They've obviously tinkered with it quite a bit but it looks like it could have been shot this year. Unbelievable for something that was filmed 80 years ago. Easily one of the best examples of 4K restorations on the market alongside Blade Runner, Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Watched my 4k copies of Gremlins, Space Adventure Cobra, Suspiria, Hellboy 2, and the first two Predator films.

Gremlins looks fantastic to me not sure what everyone is whining about.

Cobra is a little heavy on the grain removal as is usual with TMS but the hdr and the movie's bonkers visuals still manage to impress.

Suspiria is glorious. It doesnt try to overwhelm you with saturation like some earlier releases but the complexity of the colors is much more apparent.

Hellboy 2 looks alright but the dated cg hurts it a bit along with movie just not being as good as the first.

Predator is a huge improvement and looks great now. Predator 2 doesnt get the same attention to the transfer but the visual design really benefits from the hdr. The meat packing scene actually doesnt suck now and the rest of the movie is just as sweaty as ever. I freaking love predator 2 and I'm really happy with the disc.

Wish I could just get the first six SW movies in 4k.
D+

It is the only way, currently.

2Ms4oZ9.jpg

Cravis

Watched my 4k copies of Gremlins, Space Adventure Cobra, Suspiria, Hellboy 2, and the first two Predator films.

Cobra is a little heavy on the grain removal as is usual with TMS but the hdr and the movie's bonkers visuals still manage to impress.

Suspiria is glorious. It doesnt try to overwhelm you with saturation like some earlier releases but the complexity of the colors is much more apparent.

Hellboy 2 looks alright but the dated cg hurts it a bit along with movie just not being as good as the first.

Predator is a huge improvement and looks great now. Predator 2 doesnt get the same attention to the transfer but the visual design really benefits from the hdr. The meat packing scene actually doesnt suck now and the rest of the movie is just as sweaty as ever. I freaking love predator 2 and I'm really happy with the disc.
🤜 🤛

I LOVE Predator 2 too. Never understood the hate it gets.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I watched Gremlins the other night, it looked fine, but not special in the way that a good 4K restoration can look. Doesn't warrant hanging on to for me, it just didn't impress, which is a shame, 'cause I love me some Gremlins.

For UK 4K GAFfers, Zoom has a 3 for 30 sale on right now which is pretty insane considering some of the stuff in there, there's been no better time to build out a collection:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Didn't know this thread existed. Big 4K disc fan. Just picked up the Matrix set on glamazon. Will be going through this thread while I'm bored at work.

kunonabi

how was Jane's Punisher in 4K?

A slight improvement although a couple scenes have some splotchy grain and the HDR doesn't improve the film all that much. Not a must have but if you can get it for cheap and enjoyed the movie it's worth a purchase. I don't have a sound system though so I can't say if there is any huge improvement on that front.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
A slight improvement although a couple scenes have some splotchy grain and the HDR doesn't improve the film all that much. Not a must have but if you can get it for cheap and enjoyed the movie it's worth a purchase. I don't have a sound system though so I can't say if there is any huge improvement on that front.

I believe even the blu ray stuck with Dolby Digital and didn't leverage DTS MA or True HD so I wouldn't be surprised if its the same track. Its not a great movie but I love it.

kunonabi

I believe even the blu ray stuck with Dolby Digital and didn't leverage DTS MA or True HD so I wouldn't be surprised if its the same track. Its not a great movie but I love it.

Yeah, It's one of my favorite comic book movies. It does a pretty good of adapting the Punisher year One and Weclome Back Frank stories and is really the only live-action portrayal that gets the character. Netflix Punisher was up there too until he got his own show and they completely screwed it all up.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, It's one of my favorite comic book movies. It does a pretty good of adapting the Punisher year One and Weclome Back Frank stories and is really the only live-action portrayal that gets the character. Netflix Punisher was up there too until he got his own show and they completely screwed it all up.
I enjoyed the first season much more than the second. If he gets a third on Hulu I will definitely check it out.

HBO Streaming James Cameron’s ‘The Abyss’ in HD and Original Aspect Ratio!

One of the most highly demanded Blu-ray releases is that of James Cameron‘s deep-sea sci-fi thriller The Abyss, in which a civilian diving team is enlisted to search for a lost nuclear submarine and face danger while encountering an alien aquatic species (IMDb).

Cameron had expressed a desire to get remasters of both The Abyss and True Lies done by the end of 2018, and while this never happened, it’s possible they were completed over the past year.

Back in March, Skip Kimball, who recently worked with Cameron on Avatar and Alita: Battle Angel, teased work had begun on a 4K remaster of the sci-fi classic that stars Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michael Biehn, Leo Burmester, and Todd Graff.

Now, while we wait for an official release and/or announcement, HBO has one final present to end the decade – their service is now streaming Cameron’s The Abyss in HD and its original aspect ratio! According to producer Spence Nicholson, who first caught wind of the newly added content, this streaming file comes via the new 4K transfer, although it appears to only be presented in HD.

This is huge, huge, huge news for fans who have been clamoring for The Abyss on Blu-ray as its also the first time the film has been available in HD on a streaming service (that we’re aware of).

Iukufumasi

Banned
Great thread. Any news of the LOTR trilogy in 4k? I feel like that's the biggest thing missing. Give me that HDR
'The Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' reportedly coming to UHD Blu-ray
Warner Bros is planning to release The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies on UHD Blu-ray in mid-2020, according to a report by 4KFilme.de. Both the standard and extended versions.

Warner Bros has yet to confirm the news but German website 4KFilme has in the past provided accurate details ahead of the official announcements of The Shining, Batman and other titles on UHD Blu-ray.

The studio is apparently planning to release not only the standard versions of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films but also the extended versions on UHD Blu-ray. This includes The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Two Towers (2002), and The Return of the King (2003) as well as An Unexpected Journey (2012), The Desolation of Smaug (2013), and The Battle of the Five Armies (2014).

The report claims that Warner Bros is planning to release the titles on UHD Blu-ray in mid-2020, more specifically June 25, 2020. This is presumably the European release date so plans may look different for the US.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
ljA2zzj.jpg

Apologies for the lateness of this, but I was waiting for the last few films to arrive before I would post my Xmas haul.

Here’s the complete list incase you can’t read any of the spines due to glare.

A Very English Scandal (DVD)

Vita & Virginia

Angel Heart 4K

Matinee

Western Stars

Sinatra: All Or Nothing At All

Catherine The Great

Cold Pursuit

Kids Return

I, Tonya

Under The Skin

Black Society Trilogy

The Snowman 30th Anniversary Edition

Mary Queen Of Scots 4K

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

Platoon

Lady Bird

The Aftermath

Red Joan

Watchmen The Ultimate Cut 4K

Detroit

The Little Drummer Girl (DVD)

The Post

It’s A Wonderful Life 4K

Fisherman’s Friends

Molly’s Game

Fighting With My Family

House Of Cards The Final Season

Colette

American Made 4K

The Wizard Of Oz 4K

Apocalypse Now The Final Cut 4K

Spider-Man Far From Home 4K

Creed II 4K

Alita Battle Angel 4K

Logan Lucky 4K

Escape From New York 4K

They Live 4K

A Star Is Born 4K

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 4K

Scarface 4K

Widows 4K

Extremely Wicked Shockingly Evil And Vile

The Favourite

Bumblebee 4K

Easy Rider 4K

Yesterday

Midsommar Directors Cut

The Infiltrator

The Limehouse Golem

Miss Sloane

Gravity Falls The Complete Series

Ghostbusters Collection 4K

Transformers 5 Film Collection 4K

ljA2zzj.jpg

Apologies for the lateness of this, but I was waiting for the last few films to arrive before I would post my Xmas haul.

Vita & Virginia

Angel Heart 4K

Matinee

Western Stars

Catherine The Great

Cold Pursuit

Kids Return

I, Tonya

Under The Skin

Black Society Trilogy

Mary Queen Of Scots 4K

Platoon

Lady Bird

The Aftermath

Red Joan

Detroit

The Post

It’s A Wonderful Life 4K

Fisherman’s Friends

Molly’s Game

Fighting With My Family

Colette

American Made 4K

The Wizard Of Oz 4K

Creed II 4K

Alita Battle Angel 4K

Logan Lucky 4K

Escape From New York 4K

They Live 4K

A Star Is Born 4K

Scarface 4K

Widows 4K

The Favourite

Bumblebee 4K

Easy Rider 4K

Yesterday

Midsommar Directors Cut

The Infiltrator

The Limehouse Golem

Miss Sloane

Nice selection of movies!

Amory

Bit the bullet and bought Suspiria on amazon yesterday. 43 fuckin dollars is way more than I want to spend on a movie, but the PQ is supposed to be amazing

Universal, Warner Bros plan home entertainment distribution alliance to cover UK, North America
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) are planning to launch a joint venture to distribute physical home entertainment product in North America for new releases, library titles and television content.

The proposal is subject to regulatory approval and will include leadership from both Universal and Warner Bros. with industry veteran Eddie Cunningham at the helm.

It is anticipated that the North American entity will be operational in by the first quarter of 2021, combining sales, retail marketing and distribution for the two physical home entertainment operations and be responsible for blu-ray, DVD and 4K UHD distribution for up to 10 years. The studios will continue to operate their digital distribution businesses independently and retain content and consumer marketing for both physical and digital.

Separate from the North American proposal, the studios have agreed that UPHE will assume responsibility for distribution of Warner Bros’ physical home entertainment products in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Japan, which is expected to go live by the third quarter of this year. Warner Bros will assume responsibility for the distribution of Universal’s physical home entertainment products in the UK and Ireland, Italy and Benelux by the first quarter of 2021.

What does this mean?
The new company (if the merger of the home entertainment divisions is approved) will distribute both Universal and Warner titles (Blu-rays and DVDs). I guess the main reason is to cut costs.

A bit more detailed article from Deadline.

And a video with an optimistic view of what this may mean

Last edited:
Warner’s ‘Joker’ ITunes Stitch Up Is, Well, A Joke
Warner Home Video has made Todd Phillips’ director’s commentary for Joker only available to people who own the film on iTunes. It isn’t available on any other home video platform – including any of Joker’s physical media releases. Not even the $30 4K Blu-ray. The US disc releases of Joker do at least ship with a code giving you access to the film via Movies Anywhere, which also works on iTunes – and unlocks the commentary. If you don’t have an Apple TV, though, or some way of accessing iTunes on your TV, you’ll have to try and play the commentary track through your PC or Mac. Hardly ideal when you’ve coughed up so much money for a premium AV experience. The problem becomes more pernicious if you don’t live in the US and so can’t take advantage of the Movies Anywhere code. In fact, while the Joker US 4K Blu-ray packaging includes a mention of the Digital Code on its front cover, the UK packaging pointedly removes any reference to a digital code. In fact, it’s become common practice for films to ship on disc in the UK without a code since the UltraViolet service closed down last year.
Terminator: Dark Fate is another recent movie with a digital exclusive commentary.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Never knew this thread existed! Awesome.

I have mostly moved to digital after I ripped my DVD collection lossless to my server and use plex to watch them.

I did however preorder the Star Wars 4K 9 movie set from Amazon UK.

Question for regular users of this thread - would you be interested to move it to our new Communities board? I think it would fit in better there? Let me know.

DonJorginho

Banned
Just bought The Lighthouse on Blu Ray, cost me £38 but is more than worth it to experience the best film of 2019 in my living room, am hoping it gets a UHD release soon!

Last edited:
Never knew this thread existed! Awesome.

I have mostly moved to digital after I ripped my DVD collection lossless to my server and use plex to watch them.

I did however preorder the Star Wars 4K 9 movie set from Amazon UK.

Question for regular users of this thread - would you be interested to move it to our new Communities board? I think it would fit in better there? Let me know.

What program did you use for the lossless rip?

What is your server setup?

I am high tech with an external hard drive🔌

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
What program did you use for the lossless rip?

What is your server setup?

I am high tech with an external hard drive🔌

I used MakeMKV. Dont really need any compression for regular DVDs that max out at 7GB anyways.

My server is a headless windows 10 server which runs 24/7 with
- i7 T Intel processor (35W)
- 1 OS drive on a SSD - 250 GB
- 21 GB of WD Red drives for storage (1 8TB, 1 6TB, 1 3TB and 1 4TB) and
- 21 GB of WD Red drives as backup (1 8TB, 1 6TB, 1 3TB and 1 4TB)

I opted not to do a RAID setup as I was worried about corruption issues instead I just manually mirror my drives to their counterparts when I remember.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
ljA2zzj.jpg

Vita & Virginia

Angel Heart 4K

Matinee

Western Stars

Catherine The Great

Cold Pursuit

Kids Return

I, Tonya

Under The Skin

Black Society Trilogy

Mary Queen Of Scots 4K

Platoon

Lady Bird

The Aftermath

Red Joan

Detroit

The Post

It’s A Wonderful Life 4K

Fisherman’s Friends

Molly’s Game

Fighting With My Family

Colette

American Made 4K

The Wizard Of Oz 4K

Creed II 4K

Alita Battle Angel 4K

Logan Lucky 4K

Escape From New York 4K

They Live 4K

A Star Is Born 4K

Scarface 4K

Widows 4K

The Favourite

Bumblebee 4K

Easy Rider 4K

Yesterday

Midsommar Directors Cut

The Infiltrator

The Limehouse Golem

Miss Sloane

how is the Scarface 4K disc?

Parasite’ and ‘Memories of Murder’ From Bong Joon Ho to Join Criterion Collection
Bong Joon Ho’s Best Picture winner “Parasite” and his 2003 film “Memories of Murder” will receive special edition releases as part of the Criterion Collection, the “Parasite” distributor Neon and Criterion announced Thursday.

There’s no target release date for the special home video releases yet or whether the films will immediately become available on The Criterion Channel for streaming, but it’s rare to see Criterion partner with a distributor to specially release a movie still in theaters.

Parasite 4K Blu-ray will be released in France and Germany (no English subtitles). It's also available in 4K HDR on iTunes and Vudu. It has a 4K DI, and it was ffilmed with the ARRI Alexa 65.

Last edited:
Top Bottom