• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

starwarsskywalkerupdated4k.jpg

Rogue One and Solo not included in this box set.

Front artwork

tros-home-ent-hero-MOBILE.png

tros-home-ent-hero-4K-MOBILE.png

Target

Best Buy steelbook

Walmart

Extras
  • The Skywalker Legacy – The story lives forever in this feature-length documentary that charts the making of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
  • Pasaana Pursuit: Creating the Speeder Chase – Dive into the making of the movie’s epic landspeeder chase and discover how this spectacular sequence was brought to the screen.
  • Aliens in the Desert – See what it took to create the Pasaana desert scenes, from the sheer scale and complexity of the shoot to its colorful details.
  • D-O: Key to the Past – Explore the ship that connects Rey to the mystery of her missing parents and get to know the galaxy’s newest, irresistible droid.
  • Warwick & Son – Warwick Davis, who played Wicket in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, dons the Ewok costume once more; this time joined by his son Harrison.
  • Cast of Creatures – The team behind the film’s memorable creatures reveal the puppetry, makeup, prosthetics and digital magic that bring them to life!

Digital Exclusive:

• The Maestro’s Finale – Composer John Williams reflects on his body of work for the Star Wars saga and shares insights on scoring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Last edited:
Fuck me. I'm going to have to buy that set. I bought TLJ 4K disk, and have them all in 4K on Disney+ but... god damn it.

I am picking up the 4K UHD steelbook for Midway today (damn GAF thread reminded me I wanted this)

6392537_so.jpg

Also preordered the 4K UHD steelbook for The Hunt for Red October which comes out next week.

6393703_so.jpg

I've wanted this for a while, but you could only get it in the (IMO) overpriced Jack Ryan collection.

Fuck me. I'm going to have to buy that set. I bought TLJ 4K disk, and have them all in 4K on Disney+ but... god damn it.

I am picking up the 4K UHD steelbook for Midway today (damn GAF thread reminded me I wanted this)

6392537_so.jpg

From this review:
Audio 10 (reference quality) Video 8.1

Last edited:

Melon Husk

Any news on The Time Machine remake blu-ray? I've been waiting for 10 years.

Did Warner just forget that they own it? Should we call them and let them know?

Last edited:
Any news on The Time Machine remake blu-ray? I've been waiting for 10 years.

Did Warner just forget that they own it? Should we call them and let them know?
You mean the Guy Pearce movie from 2002? I watched it in the theater, when it was released. It was released on HD tape in 2003 (D-Theater D-VHS). Haven't read anything about a possible Blu-ray release (although it's available on streaming services).

Last edited:
1917 4K Blu-ray & Blu-ray March 24.
11521.jpg
  • >DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS TRACK
  • The Weight of the World: Sam Mendes – Academy Award® winner Sam Mendes discusses his personal connection to World War 1.
  • Allied Forces: Making 1917 - Learn how the one shot, 360-degree format was executed and the pivotal role Academy Award® winner Roger Deakins served in bringing Sam Mendes' vision to life.
  • The Music of 1917 - Composer Thomas Newman and filmmakers discuss the important role of the Academy Award®-nominated score.
  • In The Trenches - Go behind the scenes with the cast of 1917.
  • Recreating History - Filmmakers offer a detailed look at the production design challenges of recreating the First World War.
  • Feature Commentary with Director/Co-Writer Sam Mendes
  • Feature Commentary with Director of Photography Roger Deakins

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I received an email that my UK Skywalker 4K set should be delivered end of April.

Im looking forward to it! I never watch teh special editions I only watch the depecialized editions so I might actually give the Special Editions a watch now.

Blond

Banned
Anyone know if episodes 4-6 are the original and non-Lucas edits? I can't honestly say I like those films *as they are* because the changes are so drastic and obvious that it actively takes me out the movies and in some cases makes me laugh unintentionally.

Fox Mulder

Anyone know if episodes 4-6 are the original and non-Lucas edits? I can't honestly say I like those films *as they are* because the changes are so drastic and obvious that it actively takes me out the movies and in some cases makes me laugh unintentionally.

of course not. gotta stick with the fan edits for theatrical editions.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

They are the Special Editions (with edits)

The Blues Brothers 4K Blu-ray May 19
  • HDR 10+ PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DTS X AUDIO TRACK

11586_tn.jpg

Paramount: New Line of Blu-ray Releases Coming Up
Paramount Pictures announced today that it will introduce a new "Paramount Presents" label to recognize and celebrate films from the studio's vast and storied library. The "Paramount Presents" banner will be used for a new line of collectible Blu-ray releases incorporating a curated selection of enduringly popular movies, as well as films that had a cultural impact upon their release. The label will also be used to bring classic films to select theaters for limited theatrical runs so audiences can experience them again on the big screen.

Last edited:
Jaws 4K Blu-ray June 2

11657.jpg

Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 1 Technical specs
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

4K Blu-ray Technical Specs:
  • Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10
  • 1.0 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Lawrence of Arabia

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, fully restored from the original camera negative
  • Feature split across two 4K Blu-ray discs for optimal bitrate
  • Dolby Atmos English audio

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10
  • Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
  • 1.0 DTS-HD Master Audio
A League of Their Own

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, fully restored from the original camera negative
  • 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio
Jerry Maguire

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, fully restored from the original camera negative and approved by writer/director Cameron Crowe
Gandhi

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, fully restored from the original camera negative
  • Feature split across two 4K Blu-ray discs for optimal bitrate
  • 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio

Last edited:

kunonabi

are there any anime 4k Ultra Blu-Ray Movies? And are they going to make 8K Ultra Blu-Ray disks?

your name has one overseas but it's just an uspscale with no HDR.

Space Adventure Cobra is out. It's DNRed to hell but still a looker.

Castle of Cagliostro is out in Japan with a western release pending. Will be DNRed heavily as well.

Akira has a 4K release coming too.

Those are the ones I know of.

sol_bad

Jaws 4K Blu-ray June 2

11657.jpg

Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 1 Technical specs

Does anyone know if this version of Dr Strangelove or the Criterion version will be better?
Also, why is Mr Smith only in high definition? Too old for 4K or something to do with the camera used back then?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this version of Dr Strangelove or the Criterion version will be better?
Also, why is Mr Smith only in high definition? Too old for 4K or something to do with the camera used back then?
Mr Smith is in 4K (HDR10). Ι assume this version of Dr Strangelove will be better. I may be wrong, but I think that the Criterion version is based on the 4K master by Sony.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Nice. I've never watched Lawrence of Arabia but I hear it's cinematically stunning. I guess my patience will have paid off when I get to watch it in 4k.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy I haven't bought many of the older classics on blu ray. Always knew because they were made on film there is room for improvement visually.

And I think 4k is a good bar to stick with considering screen sizes. I know they'll start pushing 8k but I'm not sure if I'll ever gave a 100+ inch screen.

I'm actually worried about starting a Criterion collection in case they start doing 4k releases.

Kadayi

Banned
Maybe one of you fine gents knows why James Cameron is still holding out from releasing True Lies and The Abyss on blu ray?

Man, I was thinking about the Abyss the other day as to whether there was a decent Blu-Ray version. I dare say the water special effects might not have held up that well, but damn that's a cracking movie for the most part.

11669_tn.jpg

Criterion has officially announced that it will release on Blu-ray Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits (1971-1978). The seven-disc box set will be available for purchase on July 14.

BOX SET CONTENT AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • 4K digital restorations of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtracks
  • New 2K digital restoration of the rarely-seen 99-minute 1973 theatrical version of Enter the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtrack
  • 2K digital restoration of the 102-minute "special-edition" version of Enter the Dragon
  • Alternate audio soundtracks for the films, including original English-dubbed tracks and a 5.1 surround soundtrack for the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon
  • Six audio commentaries: on The Big Boss by Bruce Lee expert Brandon Bentley; on The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon by Hong Kong-film expert Mike Leeder; and on the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon by producer Paul Heller
  • High-definition presentation of Game of Death II, the 1981 sequel to Game of Death
  • Game of Death Redux, a new presentation of Lee's original Game of Death footage, produced by Alan Canvan
  • New interviews on all five films with Lee biographer Matthew Polly
  • New interview with producer Andre Morgan about Golden Harvest, the company behind Hong Kong's top martial-arts stars, including Lee
  • New program about English-language dubbing with voice performers Michael Kaye (the English-speaking voice of Lee's Chen Zhen in Fist of Fury) and Vaughan Savidge
  • New interview with author Grady Hendrix about the "Bruceploitation" subgenre that followed Lee's death, and a selection of Bruceploitation trailers
  • Blood and Steel, a 2004 documentary about the making of Enter the Dragon
  • Multiple programs and documentaries about Lee's life and philosophies, including Bruce Lee: The Man and the Legend (1973) and Bruce Lee: In His Own Words (1998)
  • Interviews with Linda Lee Cadwell, Lee's widow, and many of Lee's collaborators and admirers, including actors Jon T. Benn, Riki Hashimoto, Nora Miao, Robert Wall, Yuen Wah, and Simon Yam and directors Clarence Fok, Sammo Hung, and Wong Jing
  • Promotional materials
  • New English subtitle translations and subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Jeff Chang

kunonabi

Not a big Bruce fan but I may pick up the collection anyway.

Watched all the SW 4k releases

TPM - Still suffers badly from DNR but looks as good as the movie is going to look otherwise. The reshoots with the digital cameras are way more noticeable though.

AOTC - My favorite SW film has the worst transfer of the bunch. The picture is surprisingly more detailed and clear but the picture is way too dark. Tatooine, Geonosis, and Naboo all look like they take place on cloudy days with no sunlight. The digital copy and the standard Blu-ray don't have the issue so I have no idea what happened. Some of the compositing looks a little better too which makes the brightness issue even more aggravating.

ROTS - Not much of a jump in terms of detail which is to be expected but the HDR absolutely sings. Probably the highlight of the whole set.

ANH - a touch heavy on the DNR but I didn't find it as dealbreaking as everyone else does. The frozen grain usually just looks like part of the matte painting so it didn't really take away from the presentation as much for me. The special edition effects on Tatooine do look even worse though in comparison to the rest of the film.

TESB - again the DNR is a bit much but the rest of the film looks so gorgeous it barely even registers.

ROTJ - Oof, really bad DNR to the point of distraction combined with the flat lighting makes for an ugly looking presentation. I've heard a lot of people say it's the best looking of the OT but I'm not seeing it.

kunonabi

Target is having 15% off select 4k releases which leads to 20% off if you use the Target Red Card.

I was too late to get the Columbia collection before it sold out but I did order The Deer Hunter, Fulci's Zombi, Top Gun, and the Peanuts Holiday Collection.

I also finally bought Superman the Movie in 4K.

Last edited:
Top Bottom