• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5,000 people line up to grab a switch in japan

ksamedi

Maybe in Japan and NA. Here in Europe (at least Sweden) you can walk into any electronics retailer and just grab one or ten. No supply constraints at all here it seems.
Lol at Sweden = Europe.

You go try to find one easily in France. Even in the Netherlands it was hard to find for a while but there has been major restocks. Thing is still selling well.

NSESN

Same thing here in Finland. Just checked some local retailers' websites and they all have hundreds of Switches in stock.
You 2 are comparing 2 of smallest markets against the 2 biggest. It is just better for Nintendo to ship a sufficient amount to last a long time in these countries, that way they can focus on countries that sell more.

Switch has been in stock for weeks in German and Italian Amazons. It's far easier to find in Europe than in US or especially Japan.

Of course it's easier to find in many countries. My point is that you don't need to enter a thread about one country and let all of us know how easy it is to find in a completely unrelated location.

Darksol

Agree. I will also add that when there is a physical copy of Minecraft available that will do very well (the download version is topping the charts but in general Japan is not on board with digital as much as the US/PAL).

I also agree with the ubiquitousness of Splatoon stuff. Toy stores, supermarkets, convenience stores, stationary shops, etc. Spalatoon is everywhere.

One example. There a s soft drink called Mets. It is a carbonated grapefruit juice. And they have Splatoon branded bottles. 5 different designs that link together. [I could try to post a photo if there is interest]. Anyway, at several stores I have gone to this week, Mets soda is sold out. I have never seen a soda sell out before (other than in vending machines). I didn't think it was even possible for the soda to sell out with how much back stock stores usually have.

That drink is nasty. I feel like they missed some obvious flavours before deciding on that abomination.

ksamedi

Switch has been in stock for weeks in German and Italian Amazons. It's far easier to find in Europe than in US or especially Japan.

Again, some parts of Italy, or some parts of Germany having stock does not mean it doesnt sell well in Europe. Its been selling out faster in other countries and selling slower in others, but the general consensus is that it is selling well in Europe as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lol at Sweden = Europe.

You go try to find one easily in France. Even in the Netherlands it was hard to find for a while but there has been major restocks. Thing is still selling well.

You 2 are comparing 2 of smallest markets against the 2 biggest. It is just better for Nintendo to ship a sufficient amount to last a long time in these countries, that way they can focus on countries that sell more.

I don't get your point. Yes, Sweden and Finland are small markets, but because of that we also get a tiny allotment of these things. But apparently we got more than enough.

At launch it was hard or impossible to get one unless you had preordered, but that cleared up pretty quickly I think.

Again, some parts of Italy, or some parts of Germany having stock does not mean it doesnt sell well in Europe. Its been selling out faster in other countries and selling slower in others, but the general consensus is that it is selling well in Europe as well.

I'm not saying it's selling poorly, just that it seems like the demand here isn't higher than the supply.

Of course it's easier to find in many countries. My point is that you don't need to enter a thread about one country and let all of us know how easy it is to find in a completely unrelated location.

I was answering the question (paraphrasing) "does Nintendo have a new Wii success on their hands?". And in my experience, no, they don't, at least not globally.

sphinx

the piano man
Hey guys let me tell you all about how the Nintendo Switch is easy to find in my small country.

more about a country being small, what catches my attention is that almost guaranteed the countries mentioned have the switch at ridiculous, blown up prices.

Nintendo in scandinavia is represented by bergsala and bergsala needs to profit too. prices are shit as expected there.

That still doesn't contribute nothing to the thread.

Dunno. Was just answering to post that indicated that only small countries in Europe has switch in stock.

Well I didn't say anywhere that it doesn't sell well. Just that it doesn't have the stock problems of Japan or US in large parts of Europe (anymore).

I was answering the question (paraphrasing) "does Nintendo have a new Wii success on their hands?". And in my experience, no, they don't, at least not globally.

I think it's too early to make that call (bigger successes like the DS took longer to explode in popularity, for example), but if we're basing this on how things are going at this precise moment, I would agree.

Orcastar

more about a country being small, what catches my attention is that almost guaranteed the countries mentioned have the switch at ridiculous, blown up prices.

Nintendo in scandinavia is represented by bergsala and bergsala needs to profit too. prices are shit as expected there.

It's going for €349.90 here in Finland. I wouldn't call that blown up.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hey guys let me tell you all about how the Nintendo Switch is easy to find in my small country.

That still doesn't contribute nothing to the thread.

People from other countries claiming they see stockpiles of Switches actually does contribute something to the thread because we have other posters claiming Nintendo production is maxed out because of transistor wars with Samsung or whatever other nonsense and so this is literally the max output that Japan can expect. Production issues or not, their allocation per country is clearly skewed.

Can we all agree that now on in every Switch sales related thread OP will put a disclaimer saying that.

it's ok if in your Country with a small gaming market, demand can be addressed with 10k units for the whole country but in JP at least this is just something that'll be gone in 10 seconds

because this is really boring... people not understanding that when you need 100k units per week to satisfy demand, taking a whole Country 10-20k stock wont change anything !!!

clue: 100k >>> 10k

People from other countries claiming they see stockpiles of Switches actually does contribute something to the thread because we have other posters claiming Nintendo production is maxed out because of transistor wars with Samsung or whatever other nonsense and so this is literally the max output that Japan can expect. Production issues or not, their allocation per country is clearly skewed.

If Nintendo shipped every unsold Switch unit from places like Australia, Finland, Germany, etc. to Japan, it'd probably relieve stock issues for like, a week.

And now a bunch of other countries suddenly have stock issues.

As a Swedish person in Sweden with a Nintendo Switch I can safely say we are the last country to look at to determine if something is a success or not worldwide. We are PC gaming country, mobile second.

Carry on lol.

pokéfan

Lol at Sweden = Europe.

And the UK, you can't find one anywhere, not in major Supermarkets such as Asda, Tesco, nor retailers - Argos, smyths, and online on Amazon UK, and shopto.

Well can't just say Europe, UK has had Switch stock issues since launch. Soon as new stock arrives it's gone.

Mr Swine

Banned

Well the prices here in Sweden are down over 1000 sek since release. Now you can buy a Switch for 3600 sek I think, I bought mine for 4999sek at release

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well the prices here in Sweden are down over 1000 sek since release. Now you can buy a Switch for 3600 sek I think, I bought mine for 4999sek at release

Uuuuh what? The price at release was around 3,700 SEK. Don't know where you bought yours, but you got scammed.

JustJavi

Customs officers are loving my Switch. So far I have been asked about it in New Zealand and Australia. Heading to Dubai now. I should have bought a couple more in New Zealand to sell over seas hehehe, we don't have a shortage there.

13ruce

Banned
I wonder when Switch outsells PS4 in Japan... Before or after Pokemon launches or even before/after Animal Crossing launches?

So within a few years or so or less?

D.Lo

I wonder when Switch outsells PS4 in Japan... Before or after Pokemon launches or even before/after Animal Crossing launches?
Purely a stock question. If they had the stock it could overtake PS4 semi-immediately, not counting supply chain logistics. Realistically by the end of the year if they can make them quicker. The lines are constant and crazy, Vink said he's never seen anything like it before.

So within a few years or so or less?

Probably sometime next year, unless Monster Hunter World becomes a killer app and moves significant amounts of PS4 stock.

ggx2ac

Adding from the discussion above caused by, "I am finding Switch units easily in Scandinavia where Nintendo isn't relevant."

How many Switch hardware units Nintendo shipped last quarter:

Japan: 520k
The Americas: 750k
Other: 690k

Japan received around a quarter of total Switch hardware units shipped. The rest of the world received almost as many units as the Americas.

Switch units are selling in Europe, it just might not be the country you live in.

Also, Nintendo might be prioritising overseas countries for Switch hardware shipments compared to Japan because Nintendo makes around 70% of their revenue from overseas.

It's only when the hardware is selling terribly in the rest of the world that you'll see more hardware being shipped to Japan compared to other regions: Look up 3DS hardware shipment data.

redcrayon

It varies wildly across Europe by the look of it, I don't think anyone should be using their country as an example of supply vs demand across the continent as a whole. I've been trying to get one in the UK for weeks, there isn't any stock on the shelves unless you wanted the Splatoon bundle. Amazon UK isn't getting stock of the grey one in for another few weeks and the only chance of getting one on the high street is if you are queuing outside when the delivery comes in.

13ruce

Banned
Purely a stock question. If they had the stock it could overtake PS4 semi-immediately, not counting supply chain logistics. Realistically by the end of the year if they can make them quicker. The lines are constant and crazy, Vink said he's never seen anything like it before.

Probably sometime next year, unless Monster Hunter World becomes a killer app and moves significant amounts of PS4 stock.

I see that makes sense. I am new to the Japanese side of market, sales and hype etc but it interests me greatly.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I want to post that marie money pic again but alas. Splatoon 2 is huge in Japan.
It's amazing how popular it is here. I see it everywhere. Went to Don Quixote the other day and was greeted with this giant Splatoon claw machine.

qyuu64h.jpg

Never thought the 90's Nicktoon vibe would catch on so well in Japan.

It's nuts how supply has seemingly increased (~200k available in the last two weeks, compared to 20-30k per week previously) yet demand has also increased like crazy. There's no doubt this thing is a mega hit in Japan.

I'm not saying it's selling poorly, just that it seems like the demand here isn't higher than the supply.

While true, sells really well still. The Switch console has four of the top 6 SKUS at Webhallen in the gaming section. Which is pretty crazy, considering it's a big retailer.

Bulzeeb

my small country have lots of them, but only if you are want to pay the premium official price of $570 USD, well I got mine using the gray market, you can find them there between $330 to $360 USD

13ruce

Banned
It's amazing how popular it is here. I see it everywhere. Went to Don Quixote the other day and was greeted with this giant Splatoon claw machine.

qyuu64h.jpg

Never thought the 90's Nicktoon vibe would catch on so well in Japan.

Seeing stuff like this makes me more and more wanna learn Japandese and move to there when i am done with education etc.

bionic77

Making their console portable seems to be the ticket in Japan
I think that was the key everywhere.

Most tech devices are moving towards portability. The hybrid nature of the Switch probably fills in a huge need/want in the gaming market.

Top Bottom