• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 Gaming Facts About YOU

kungfuian

1. I think the original Blaster Master is a better Pathfinder game than Metroid
2. My favorite arcade games are Stider and Rastan, both of which I can beat in a quarter.
3. At age 10 I owned a $700 AES, $200 Roms and all. NO I was not from a wealthy family. I grew up poor as they come and earned the money with paper routes. Arcade graphics at home, Nam 75, Magician Lord, totally worth it!
4. I think all the Souls games (Demons, Dark 1/2/3, Bloodborne, Elden) are orders of magnitude the best games ever made with games like Metroid Prime/SOTN/Returnal/RE2 coming in 2nd. Nothing comes close to the gameplay loop, risk/reward system, and feeling of exploration of these games.
5. I like solo game experiences, exploring visually rich isolated worlds, etc. Multiplayer, Coop, and any online nonsense, where random foul mouthed 8 years old are hoping around in my gaming experience, can fuck off. I shoot you you shoot me i shoot you you shoot me...zzzzzzzz.

Bonus- I'm an unapologetic Graphics Whore, and I will argue all day that physics and animation (the way things move and interact), and interesting art, are way more important to a game's overall graphics than textures, resolution, and other static 'graphics' features people always make a big deal out of.

Last edited:

RavageX

In no order:

1. I HATE mobile games. Even redone versions of console games, like having GTA on a damn phone. BUT, emulated is ok. (example, SNES emulation)

2. I don't like 90% of indie games. I feel most are just cheap attempts to cash in on what is "trending" at the time, or a lame excuse to display personal beliefs.

3. I enjoy active games. By that I mean EA Sports Active, boxing in VR, Ring fit. Rockband and Rocksmith. Things that make me improve.

4. I don't like online gaming. I've even passed on playing with my closest friends. I love the idea, I just can't seem to be bothered.

5. Gaming is a part of me since before I first played one. I would watch the intros to arcade machines (Fester's Quest, Ninja Gaiden 1&2, Kung Fu, Galaga and Altered Beast are burned in my memory along with a few others)
I still buy games and hardware, but personally don't play often and I don't really like new games.

1. I have somehow successfully led a World of Warcraft guild for 18 years, despite not actively leading it for the last decade.
2. My name is in the credits for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
3. Despite not being any good at pinball, when I was in 6th grade I somehow set the record on the South Park pinball machine at a local University.
4. The first videogame I remember playing was California Raisins

5. When I was a teenager I created a video for Asheron's Call 2 because I was mad that Turbine wasn't advertising the game, so the video was designed to showcase patch content that had been added over time. They decided to post this video made with Windows Movie Maker on a 750 mhz compaq computer to the front page of the Asheron's Call 2 website. Within a week or two, they announced the closure of the game. Someone downloaded the video and uploaded it to youtube. I do not have the original copy, and it's my most viewed video on youtube despite me not having uploaded it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
1.- I was on a television show called "Nintendomania" in Mexico, I met Gus Rodriguez (First Gamer from Mexico), because I was the first person to discover this Yoshi island easter egg in the world.... the famous "OH MY"

EXTRA:
My name is in the Club Nintendo magazine, where it says easter egg.

2.- I won a contest in Mexico in first place, the prize was the RockBand Special Edition Bundle for the Nintendo Wii.

3.- I have extensive knowledge of various platforms, I can easily recognize more than 500 different video games (Characters, Music, etc.), from Intellvision to PS5. (my brain is a super video game computer)

4.- When it was just released in Mexico, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, in my first game, won 12 Rounds from 12 different people continuously.

5.- I love all genres (Except sports), but my specialty is Extravagant games, cult video games or that very few people know about..

6.- There are always details that I look for in video games, but the only one that I see perfectly is and always will be the Gravity rush series, I'm very much in love with that series and its characters... especially Kat.

Extra point

When I was 4 years old and entered kindergarten, I was a super fan of Megaman... so they took a test, and it said... write your name... and i put the name Megaman, xD.

Last edited:

_Ex_

As a young teen I used to pause Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo (SNES) so I could masturbate to Cammy or Chun-Li's ass.

I have beaten many games in Japanese (thus not knowing the story) only for English fan patches to appear shortly after. It's happened far too many times for the universe not to be screwing with me.

I adore SCUBA diving related games and have beaten every one you can get on consoles, and a few on PC.

In 2017 I made a horror adventure PC game and tried to get it published on GOG. But GOG told me it didn't meet their public policy standards and to piss off. I think they were just too scared to play it.

In 2007 I "played" RapeLay and do not regret it.

3. I heavily dislike modern JRPGs, especially since they started adding too much fanservice and stopped caring about writing interesting stories and characters. Same goes for modern anime and manga. Not only that, but everyone is going the "action realtime combat" route. Hearing people say that modern Final Fantasy is an evolution of the genre is one of the things that really pisses me off.

But I love Fanservice and "plot"

😏 :p

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
But I love Fanservice and "plot"

😏 :p
Is this your alt?

In 2007 I "played" RapeLay and do not regret it.
Dog Meme GIF by DogeBONK

ShadowLag

1. As a child, I was a console warrior for Nintendo - as an adult I now own everything, and Nintendo pisses me off more than not (still love them though)

2. I was there at the 0th second of Steam's existence, waiting eagerly for the download to go live, refreshing my browser non stop. Sept. 12, 2003.

3. The highest Internet download speed available to me was 6 mbps (that's megabits per second) until literally less than 2 years ago. Despite this, I've never been deterred from the latest games and DLC, online events, etc.

4. Thanks to video games, I started learning to write code at the age of 11, by way of Interplay's Learn to Program BASIC, which I saw and ordered from a book order catalog my elementary school distributed. I never stopped, and today I regularly write code in 5+ programming languages for games and other purposes.

5. Some of my die-hard favorite franchises and games of all time are ones that I previously dismissed as "stupid" or not worth my time to play in years past - particularly on systems I never thought I'd own. Keep an open mind, GAF.

Last edited:

nkarafo

- I think modern gaming kinda sucks and it's only the fancy graphics and good controls that hold it for me.

- I never liked cinematic games. I hated the idea ever since reading about it in 90's game magazines, while everyone was drooling at how "games can be like movies". I was like "why?"

- I think modern indie developers who make "retro" pixel art games never really played an old pixel art game on a real CRT.

- I hate mobile gaming. Not just "dislike" it. I actually hate it. In that, i want it to hurt. I think it's ruining videogames as a whole. It already almost ruined handheld gaming.

- I'm elitist af. Down with the casuals. Gatekeeping for life!

So, mostly negative stuff, yeah.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
1. I favor Japanese made games over western even if I admire Western and European designers.

2. Lagoon on SNES was one of the very first times I fell in love with video games. I don’t bring this up because it’s mainly due to the game’s aesthetics instead of how it actually plays.

3. I prefer Capcom over Square-Enix even if I have a collection of FF OST, figurines, and etc.

4. I beat ShenMue before it was released in North America with an IGN translation guide.

5. After 30+ years of reading strategy guides, $5 pre-orders, and digital purchases. My favorite video games are from From Software.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1. I hooked up the old Intellivision we had and it still worked circa 2000 on a small CRT. Goolging the top points ever scored in Night Stalker and Burgetime at the time, I beat them both. 100% legit on a 1980 system

2. When I used to play Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2 a lot in the early to mid 90s, I'd spend about 2-3 hours editing all 20+ teams with real players and trying to edit all their attributes best as possible. I'd handicap my Leafs gimping my players to balance the game out best as possible. Every Wednesday was stat sheet day in the sports section of the Toronto Star which gave me all teams, players and stats. So I'd use a copy of the final one of the season and refresh my own league once a year

3. I only buy the main console and official gamepads. Our fam (back then) and when I was old enough to buy my own gear, we've never bought add-ons, third party controllers, weird cables, travel cases etc....

4. When it comes to most modern console first party games (not including recent MS acquisitions of Bethesda and Activision) I think most are meh. I'd rather play Diablo 3 spamming loot. I think Mario, GOW and Forza Motorsport are all solid. The rest I dont really care about. I think Sega has the best first party games I've played on any system (Genesis with excellent library of action, arcade and sports titles)

5. Had lots of decently valued games which nobody knew would be worth money now. I'd sell them to mom and pop shops and video stores for $25. Now some of them are worth $100s. Who knew MUSHA would ever be worth a lot

1. I like dry wargame like TOAW
651009-norm-koger-s-the-operational-art-of-war-iii-windows-screenshot.jpg

2. My first favorite game was Grand Prix
128350-Formula1GrandPrix.jpg

3. I buy a lot of game but never finish them.

4. I use my steam deck to play old game on emulator and spend half the time on sorting my collection, correcting wrong data found by the scrapper and playing with shader.

5. Prefer my Xbox over my ps5 (sold it) because of gamepass

1) I've been gaming since Pong.

2) As a sort of hobby within the hobby, I rank and review every game I play and keep a large database & spreadsheet for those things. I love having a "snapshot" of my history and impressions of the totality of my experience with this pastime.

3) I love and vastly prefer minimalist / indirect narrative delivery. Think - Ueda's work, Souls, etc. I find most voice work and narrative construction of the more traditional variety to be clumsy at best and often self-contradictory, plot-hole laden and downright abysmal more often than not, with superfluous amounts of exposition and detail that add nothing or outright detract from any sort of cohesive vision, and would be far better off by *showing* rather than telling, allowing for the imagination and speculation to fill in any gaps. In short, subtlety trumps any attempts at "clarity".

4) I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I love and have many consoles as well. I don't understand the fanatical platform zealotry that seems to permeate much of conversation. I just want to play games that I love, whatever the means of delivery.

5) I like most all genres, and will give plenty of obscure (and ancient) games an opportunity. I love mixing things up as I play, switching between genres, eras, platforms, etc. Because of this, I'm very rarely in the mainstream loop or conversation because I'm all over the place with my gaming time. My tastes are *very* eclectic.

Neff

My top three franchises are Mario, Zelda and Resident Evil
My favourite genres are action, adventure, fighting games and RPGs
I grew up with arcade games and generally prefer Japanese games as a result
I am fully invested in Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, and Xbox alike as gaming platforms
My favourite directors are Takashi Tezuka, Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya and Yu Suzuki

- Super Mario 64 was the first game I ever played.

- PS2 is my all-time favourite console.

- I've switched main consoles a lot throughout my life. Was on PS1, PS2, then Original Xbox, 360 and then went back to Playstation for PS4/PS5.

- GTA: Vice City is my all-time favourite game.

- I suck at Stealth games. :messenger_winking:

Roberts

1. The first videogame I ever played was Pong, sometime in the first half of the 80's.
2. I probably only completed 10 or so games during the 90's - I was preoccupied with music un movies.
3. Completely moved from Pc to consoles in 2010. It felt right and still (kind of) does. I am not sure, maybe.
4. Owned pretty much every console at one point or another, but stuck with XsX at the moment and couldn't be happier about it.
5. Gamepass made me appreciate all kinds of genres I didn't bother with before, but I still don't exactly get the appeal of JRPG genre.

I got paid bazillion dollars to include 4 and the first half of 5.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
1. First game: Will Crowther's ADVENTURE on an IBM mainframe in 1979. Never did complete it.
2. Best value single-player game: Endless Ocean - 870 hours for £20 = £0.023/hour and fun all the way
3. Wii Music was totally misunderstood and woefully unappreciated for what it really was
4. Most replayed: Eternal Darkness
5. Best and scariest atmosphere: The little-known IF game "The Act of Misdirection" - the first chapter is fucking terrifying for the player and the character both

1. I might not be the most skill player out there but I'm stubborn as fuck, I will try as many times I have to until I beat it and I refuse to change the difficulty.
2. When I start side quests in games, I refuse accept any other quests until I finished the current one.
3. I consider Vanillaware most treasured devs in entire gaming industry.
4. I hate Marvel and DC with passion and i think they are infecting both movie and gaming industry.
5. Cyberpunk 2077 is my first and only WRPG I ever play.

To me the most treasured developer is Falcom :p

Labadal

1. I love Turn-based games. Rpgs, tactical rpgs, strategy games, you name it.

2. I played lots of games long before I got a Game Boy as a kid. But none of the consoles or home computers were truly my own. We shared. The Game Boy was own, so it was my first console/handheld.

3. I have a backlog of 450ish games. I will never clear it.

4. My favorite game of all time is Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

5. Gaming companies don't give a shit about customers. I hold no loyalty to any company, but buy the stuff that I think I will enjoy.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
3. Wii Music was totally misunderstood and woefully unappreciated for what it really was
I think Wii Music, people took it as Nintendo's response to their Rival Guitar Hero and Rockband.

Even though the characters looked like muppets and it make me laugh.

Bartski

Gold Member
Here is a fun gaming fact about me: around 2012 I turned down a record engineering job that, unbeknownst to me at that time, would have put my name on the credits of GTAV.

Dude that I was working for still likely pays his bills from those royalties.

1. graphics/sound whore
2. still likes the n64 controller
3. believes popularity of video games in general has hurt the industry (filthy casuals gargling mediocrity)
4. feel indebted to video games for life
5. misses the smell of food courts when in an arcade

1. Kingdom hearts 1 and shenmue are my top 2 favorite surprise game memories of all time.

2. Started PC gaming in 2004 when I first saw a little demo called half life 2. Probably my first hyped video game ever. I watched videos daily of it before release and HAD to play it even though PC gaming felt foreign. I was 14 years old.

3. Now im 32, and feel that people who werent even born when half life 2 came out, or were babies when DMC3 and hl2 and all these influential titles came out are the first generation of gamers that missed out on gaming when it was ambitous creative and not marred by capitalism. Usually gaming gets better and more advanced and progressive. Not the case these days. Thus young gamers influence on gaming is going to be...probably a bit divisive.

4. If you were to show 14 year old me that was amazed at the possibility of where games could go once half life 2 came out, that the game we now consider our crowning achievement of today was Elden Ring....i'd be devastated and would wonder what happened... Thats all we could do 20 years later? Fruit for thought...

5. I think that FROM software being regarded as our top dev right now is actually...bad for the medium and lowers the bar for ambition and presentation. And I liked Elden ring and bloodborne, I just dont think they should be regarded as titles i want the industry copying...if thats the best we can do then I'll retire lol

GymWolf

1 i'm obsessed with animations and visual realism\variety when you kill stuff in games, so everytime i watch gameplay for any game, the first thing i analize is how good hit reactions\gore\death animations\ragdoll are, and i'm probably gonna buy your game if at least 2 out of 3 are good enough, i think that even tetris should have some sort of euphoria engine:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

2 i love open worlds, especially the one with fun traversal, there is just something special in having a big world to explore, pacing myself instead of being forced by a game designer into a specific pace etc, i think it started with gta3.

3 i don't play anymore some of my favourite genres from when i was a child like platform, pure actions like bayo or beat em up, don't know why, it just happened.

4 started playing at 3 years old with my father and his amiga console (i think), black and white pong with the controller that had just a dial to move the white bar and a single button to confirm.

5 i tried monster hunter on psp and hated it, mhw changed my idea and now it's basically one of my top 3 brands of games and by far the one where i wasted more hours by a landslide, world 2 is probably gonna be my game of the gen.

Last edited:
Let’s see…

1. I grew up surrounded by consoles and Amigas/Amstrads and never realised how lucky and spoilt I was. My first game memory is Super Mario Bros. I think every game I’ve played since has been an attempt to repeat that sense of discovery and wonder I had as a (four?) year old.

2. I once made a living from games but stopped because it was turning them into something I disliked.

3. I find it really hard to play older games, even if I love them. I find it depressing. I guess I like to hook into the collective unconscious/zeitgeist by playing something contemporary.

4. I have lost all patience for cut-scenes/tutorials/etc. unless they are absolutely integral to the game (Persona, for example).

5. I never have a backlog of more than like two games. If I’m not playing it it’s cos i know im not interested in it and so I either give it away if it’s physical or delete the file.

1 i'm obsessed with animations and visual realism\variety when you kill stuff in games, so everytime i watch gameplay for any game, the first thing i analize is how good hit reactions\gore\death animations\ragdoll are, and i'm probably gonna buy your game if at least 2 out of 3 are good enough, i think that even tetris should have some sort of euphoria engine:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

2 i love open worlds, especially the one with fun traversal, there is just something special in having a big world to explore, pacing myself instead of being forced by a game designer into a specific pace etc, i think it started with gta3.

3 i don't play anymore some of my favourite genres from when i was a child like platform, pure actions like bayo or beat em up, don't know why, it just happened.

4 started playing at 3 years old with my father and his amiga console (i think), black and white pong with the controller that had just a dial to move the white bar and a single button to confirm.

5 i tried monster hunter on psp and hated it, mhw changed my idea and now it's basically one of my top 3 brands of games and by far the one where i wasted more hours by a landslide, world 2 is probably gonna be my game of the gen.
That wasn’t an Amiga. If it was orange then It was a Binatone.

Last edited:

radewagon

1. I've been gaming since the 2600 and, no doubt, I think that the games coming out right now are, in general, the best we've ever had. There's just so much variety and quality. I miss the good old days, sure, but I'm not blind to the progress that's been made and the relative amount of jank present in earlier titles.
  2. I'm sometimes shocked by how much more right-leaning (politically) many of my fellow gamers are. I try to not be judgy. I try to roll with it. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.
  3. Basically none of my coworkers play videogames (work at a school). It's kind of a bummer. A lot of their husbands and kids do though, so at least they know about games.
  4. Sony's output for the past few years has been an eerily perfect match for my tastes as a gamer. I really do love what they've done for gaming.
  5. Watching my 3 year old learn how to play videogames is just about the coolest thing ever. Sometimes she'll just ignore the gameplay loop altogether and do her own thing. Like she'll place her character behind some foreground objects and start asking me where they are hiding.

Last edited:
1. After gaming from 1988-2011, I quit gaming for 9 years and returned in 2020 during the Pandemic.
2. The Zelda franchise, primarily Skyward Sword killed my love of gaming which led to the 9 year hiatus, it was such a bad gaming experience.
3. The Zelda franchise, primarily Breath of the Wild brought me back to gaming after a 9 year hiatus.
4. Mainly a PC gamer these days with a Switch as my other game machine.
5. My favorite game of all time is the PC version of New Vegas with all kinds of mods I can use.

Last edited:

dan76

1. In the 80's I owned an Atari, Colecovision, ZX Spectrum then a C64. They all sucked because their arcade ports were crap. Home gaming back then was a constant disappointment. I grew up in a holiday resort so arcades were everywhere. I'd come home and try and pretend the speccy version of Gauntlet was worth playing. It wasn't. Actually, I take it back about the Colecovision. That was pretty good.

2. I've yet to play a video game with a really good original story. The bar for storytelling in games is so low they shouldn't bother chucking all that time and money into cutscenes. RE, God of War, Uncharted, whatever, these games attempts at story and character are pretty bad across the board and get in the way of some good gameplay. As I'm old if I want a good story I'll read a book or watch a film.

3. I don't see the point in an AI controlled companion who helps you. It's just the game playing itself. I'd rather an escort mission (RE4) than having AI shoot stuff (RE5/6).

4. Stalker enemies never work. For me they too emmersive breaking. When I played Alien Isolation or REmake2 I was just trying to figure out the invisible boundaries to make these enemies appear then bugger off. They are like code unmasked.

5. As my first 4 points are all about stuff I don't like here's a positive. Games are the one medium where masterpieces are still being made. Cinema hit its peak in the 70's, books long before that, Art, maybe the 50's or 60's since anything interesting was happening. Music has been 99% unlistenable for decades - but great games are still coming out. Plus, games age better than other things. A good game will always be a good game. Chess doesn't age, neither does Ms. Pacman.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
-I don't care for multiplayer.
Because it involves people. But I love bots.

-When I quit drinking 5 years ago I also had to quit gaming for awhile because for 18 years I always played drunk.
Gaming was the only drinking trigger I seriously needed to address. I read a similar story about a dude who only did cocaïne when playing GTA4 😄
I'm all good and purged now.

-I always spend 2 hours creating my character in RPGs when most of the time I play in 3rd person and find a helmet within the first 10 minutes.

-I roleplay my single player games.
I killed this grandma in Fallout New Vegas who dropped a cool shotgun but before leaving her house I dropped some mines inside near the doors in case she ever got visitors. I also politely close any doors I open.

-I've been a game Dev at the same company since 2005. I'm a lucky bastard with the best job in the world.

Drizzlehell

Banned
1. My first ever gaming system was Commodore 64 and looking back, I hate almost every game that I played on that thing in my pre-teen childhood. The SID music is dope as shit, tho, and it was also the first time I ever into contact with programming. I had some old handbook for BASIC and I played around with programming sprites and basic text adventure games on that computer, even though I was only around 7 or 8. That was probably the most fun I had on C64.

2. I was a PC-only gamer until I was 17, at which point I dropped out of day school to get a job and I spent my first few paychecks on a brand-new rig and a used PS2. It was my first-ever console purchase.

3. PS3 was probably my favorite console. Maybe not because it was the best but I just have the fondest memories of it. Now access to everything is so ubiquitous that gaming lost a lot of its luster. But back then, every single game felt like a fucking discovery, and it was a great time to live through that era in gaming.

4. I once interviewed for a position at CDPR. Their office at the time was one of the coolest fucking workplaces I've ever been to. The interview was tough as shit, though, so I didn't get in. I suck at maths and depend on machines to do all the calculations for me but I didn't get that privilege during the test and failed. That was before Cyberpunk came out too, so I was a bit more starstruck about the whole ordeal but having the benefit of hindsight, I don't really think that this was a good interview. The recruiter didn't seem to know what he was doing at all.

5. I wonder if there are any Silent Hill fans from Poland around here - if there are, give a shoutout, maybe we know each other from one of the two message boards that used to be active around the late 2000s/early 2010s!

Last edited:

Mozzarella

1- I almost always play games at Night time.
2- I always play single player games Alone, having someone sit next to me is instant turn off.
3- I always keep a lot of save files with me, to me they are checkpoints of a memory. At the same time i always take screenshots of my gaming journey to serve as a picture to remind me of that moment, i also attach a line to describe my current feelings while im playing.
4- I started playing video games in 1999 and the first game i ever played was Doom 1993
5- I play one game at a time, i tried once to play 4 games each day a game section and i always found myself preferring one over the others, so i decided to go back to playing games one by one.

Sentenza

I'm no sure about "interesting", but here I go.

1. I'm close to 45 and I've been playing games since I was 9-10 or so. I won my first personal computer (which was also the first time I had a gaming device that was actually mine) in a drawing contest when I was a kid, a crappy Amstrad CPC 464, and the fascination with games and tech never waned since then.
Still, I'm somewhat proud of the fact that I managed to take breaks from this hobby, sometimes even YEARS-LONG ones, without ever feeling the urge to start a thread "GAF/Era/whatever, I'm now 21 and chasing pussy on a daily basis. Do you think I'm too old for gaming?"

2. I've been into RPGs and tactical games since I've memory of sitting in front of a computer, but there isn't almost any genre that I'm ready to dismiss as automatically uninteresting. Sport games, simulations, action adventures, puzzles... You name it.

3. Then again, I absolutely, unequivocally and unquestionably despise looter shooters and other games that focus on filling your inventory with trash and making the busywork of comparing items. To my defense this is consistent with the previous point because these aren't "genres" but a specific design approach appliable to multiple genres.

4. I used to work for an Italian gaming magazine as a side gig. For the most part I wrote the monthly pages about notable mod releases, plus some occasional review. Overall, I disliked gaming journalism even back then.

5. I typically never talk about games in my daily life and in my social circles, unless prompted first by someone else. To the point only few people who know me best are aware that I have any "nerd street cred" whatsoever. Even the people I meet daily in my job seem to think that the extent of my geekiness (is that a real English word?) is being a walking boxing almanac.

AndrewRyan

1. Taught myself programming writing games in assembly for the vic20.

2. Convinced thief friend to steal a c64 from a store in broad daylight in exchange for my vic + all games. We swapped their guts so parents wouldn't know.

3. Parents found out anyway and mom made me confess and gave it to a priest.

4. Got a paper route to save for a new one. One misty day around 5:45am just days after saving enough, fell off my bike on top of a bridge and hurled the papers over and quit.

5. Used to crack c64 games and to my mom's amazement had many older people drive for hours bringing new wares.

Last edited:
Let's see...

1. Most of my early gaming was on Commodore 64. Once as a little kid I was so engrossed in playing Pitfall 2 on C64 that I wet my pants in the office chair in the study rather than get up and go to the bathroom just so I could keep playing, much to my parents dismay. They tried really hard to divert my interest away from games since then, including with mandatory "outside time."

2. Deus Ex 1 is my favourite game of all time and I'm so happy I got to see Warren Spector give a live presentation on it, but the first time I tried the game I decided it wasn't for me after I finished the tutorial. My friend had to convince me to give it another chance.

3. I've easily played more than 2000 hours of Dark Souls across all the different versions I've played, maybe 3000. I even made youtube videos of me beating up guys set to music in Dark Souls, even though I didn't have experience with video editing or uploading to youtube before hand.

4. I try to do a big old top 10 list with screenshots in the GotY voting thread every year.

5. My first job as a teenager was at a computer electronics store. I worked there just long enough to save enough money to buy my own copy of diablo 1 and then I quit as soon as I bought the game.

Last edited:
5. The first gaming-related forum I ever joined was for a Mario fansite... I was under 13 years old and I lied about my age.

4. When I was 10, I successfully convinced my then-uber religious mom to buy Resident Evil 2 for me. The tipping point was when I told her that the zombies had nothing to do with hell or satanism.

3. After I turned 11, I taught myself how to use DOSBox to install and play old PC games that wouldn't run on Windows XP, which is what our home computer was running.
Specifically, I was wanting to play King's Quest V and VI, which I watched my older family members play back when we were on Windows 95/98.
That experience was critical to introducing me to emulation and retro gaming.

2. Speaking of King's Quest VI, every single workday from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM, I listen to the game's soundtrack.
I listen to it via a MIDI file, so that I can change the MIDI soundfont each time I listen to it.
For reference, this video has an audio recording of the MIDI being played back with an SC-55ish soundfont:

1. When I was in Illinois for a Mortal Kombat-related event, I got to play MK1 against Daniel Pesina, one of the mocap actors from the first two MK games.
I picked Johnny Cage of course, and he surprisingly picked Kano. I combo'd him a few times, nutpunched him in the last round, and then did Cage's uppercut decapitation Fatality. We hugged and shook hands after that.
It was surreal getting to meet him and several other mocap actors in person!

Trunx81

1. My first gaming Maschine (apart from Pong) was a Commodore 16. The first game I ever played was Moon Patrol. And I loved Kickstart (the C16 version on Datasette, not the crappy C64 version)
2. Bought my first Game Boy from a classmate for around 20 dollars. He sold it so cheap because his screen was scratched like hell. Changed the screen and it was like new and works till this day. Oh and I bought 5 games from another friend for 3 dollars each. My parents where against it (“It will land in a corner like your other games”), but it started a long lasting handheld love
3. I was an editor for the German PlanetGameBoy.de website, the largest GBA Plattform on the German web back in the days
4. The autograph I got from Hideo Kojima on my Games Convention fair book landed in the trash because I didn’t know who he was
5. I never played a souls game and am afraid to start now.

Kamina

Golden Boy
1. Most of my childhood was Gameboy gaming; I only had the pleasure to play consoles at friends, where i learned about Zelda AlttP, Super Metroid and Mortal Kombat

2. My first stationary console was N64 and i loved it for Zelda OoT, MM, Donkey Kong and co.

3. PS2 gen was the best generation for me.
I had a Gamecube only for most of that gen and jumped in late with a PS2, but man was it worth it.

4. Though i did play some multiplayer during PS360 days, i am not a fan of online gaming and prefer offline single player games.

5. I love to play elves if i can, preferably Dark Elves.

Last edited:
1) my first ever gaming system was the Amstrad CPC 464 with the screen screen. The games came on cassette tape and took about 5 minutes to load.

2) a friend and I completed Mario 3 on the NES 5 times over the course of one summer holiday.

3) I've owned every console (at one time or another) that was released in Europe from the Master System/NES onwards, including old school Neo Geo machines and every handheld.

4) based on how I felt when I got it, and my perception of the upgrade over the last generation, I still think the Ps3 is the best console ever made.

5) Elden Ring is overrated.

5 - Been gaming since the early NES days (primarily platformers and RPGs).

4 - Prefer plot action and moments over exposition and character exploration when it comes to story-driven game likes JRPGs.

3 - I despise slow burn games that put aesthetic over gameplay.

2 - Outside of the gameplay, music is second most important factor for single-player games.

1 - Games I think are overrated: FF9, FF 10, FF14, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Doom Eternal
Music is often overlooked, I totally agree.

It cannot be overestimated how important it is and how, if used well, can completely change the feeling you get from cut scenes etc...

Last edited:
Hmmm...

1. I tried liking Legend of Zelda. I own 3-4 of the games and, while they are well-made games, I can't seem to get into them.

2. Super C, Turtles in Time, Mario (any), and Metal Gear Solid were my favourite games when I was a child.

3. In the mid-2000s, I remember being the first one in my friend group to beat one of the Weapons (Emerald Weapon) in Final Fantasy 7. That was a big bragging right for me.

4. I'm almost exclusively a single-player person. The last multiplayer game I took 'seriously' was Battlefield 3 on PS3, and I liked being the medic/support.

5. I was so much of a Final Fantasy 7 and Visual Kei fanboy (still am), that my hairdo usually reflected that. High school pictures have me with beautiful spiky hair that took ~2 hours to arrange. I don't have the energy to do that anymore, but I still make an effort to look nice.

Top Bottom