• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 year old girl builds a gaming PC

Kevyt

I saw this from my youtube subscription, and I thought it was adorable. This is JayzTwoCents' daughter, who is five years old building a PC:

So guys if my five year old girl can build a PC, you guys can build a PC. So I just did this video [because] one; she needed a new pc. Two, it was a good daddy-daughter bonding experience and three; I just want to show those people who said building a computer they're afraid to try it and they just wanna do store-bought... guys if a five year old can do this with a little bit of help, I think you guys can too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3MgKkS314

It's not exactly a gaming PC, but it could play some older titles and browser based games that kids love. It has a Sapphire r7 250 with its passive cooling solution that has no fans.

So there you have it folks, as I tell many of my friends and acquaintances, building a PC is not that hard.... Not as hard as it seems. Your first time building a PC is always very special.

Dryk

It's got a graphics card, an SSD and a custom cooler. She's got more skills now that I learned building my current gaming PC (which uses stock cooling). The parts really don't matter.

EDIT: Oh god IDE

nilbog21

Banned
that was literally the dumbest thing i've ever watched.

it's not the actual sliding in of the hard drive and tightening screws that is complicated , but EVERYTHING else, such as knowing what parts to get, what is compatible, troubleshooting, etc., is really what deters people...

Kevyt

After gamestop smash bros girl, I'm skeptic as Hell.

Well her father has a popular youtube channel that reviews PC parts and gives good advice on how to choose components and builds. So I am not skeptic at all. If toddlers are smart enough to use tablets (I have seen my friends two year old daughter play games on her Ipad) and play with puzzles of more than 100 pieces, and legos, then they can definitely build a PC. In addition, the girl had her dad by her side helping her.

it's not the actual sliding in of the hard drive and tightening screws that is complicated , but EVERYTHING else, such as knowing what parts to get, what is compatible, troubleshooting, etc., is really what deters people...

You would be surprised that knowing the parts to get, as far as compatability is the easiest. People that spend more than 500+ on a PC will do a good amount of research before buying the parts. Websites like PCPartpicker make it even easier.

what scares me away is connecting everything to the mobo at the end. i've changed out individual parts but that is what scares me the most.

My first time building a PC, it took me more than two days to figure out where the power and LED connectors from the case go in the motherboard. Everything seemed to have been in perfect place, where it belonged, but the machine wouldn't turn on. It turned out it was actually on, but the monitor was not connecting to the GPU so there was no image. It took me and a friend two days to figure this out. With this I can agree it can be frustrating but afterwards, it's a very rewarding experience.

smurfx

get some go again

what scares me away is connecting everything to the mobo at the end. i've changed out individual parts but that is what scares me the most.

Loofy

What you dont hear is all the cussing and swearing when the cpu cooler keeps coming loose and the psu cables are too short and wtf the gpu is covering my usb ports..

Knowing what parts to get is as simple as asking someone on the floor if you are at a decent pc part supply store.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

yeah, the building it is like lego, although skill is needed to make internals not resemble an octopus orgy.

but looking at the parts list and knowing what is good, that's voodoo. even with something like

www.logicalincrements.com and the GAF PC thread, I'm still nervous even though I've done it with my last build that lasted about 6 years already.

bootski

the hardest part of the actual build, outside component choice, is connecting the mb to the front panel, like he says. good for this little girl getting her hands dirty.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

This is exactly what my wife just said.

Dryk

If she gets encouraged instead of shit on maybe she'll get to the point where she's knowledgeable about the parts and abilities in a few years
Considering that it's what her father does I think she'll be fine

the hardest part of the actual build, outside component choice, is connecting the mb to the front panel, like he says. good for this little girl getting her hands dirty.
Yeah, what a nightmare. I've also had bad experiences with destroying pins in the past which weren't fun. Now that my MB and CPU are in place everything's easy.

Sami+

Heh, reminds me of when I taught my seven year old niece about computer parts. You'd be surprised how fascinated kids can be by this stuff.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Well her father has a popular youtube channel that reviews PC parts and gives good advice on how to choose components and builds. So I am not skeptic at all. If toddlers are smart enough to use tablets (I have seen my friends two year old daughter play games on her Ipad) and play with puzzles of more than 100 pieces, and legos, then they can definitely build a PC. In addition, the girl had her dad by her side helping her.

Yeah, it's really not much more difficult physically than building a Lego thinggie.

I built my first PC not long ago, and it wasn't super hard. Main issue I had was trying to figure out the power button pinouts etc to the case. (And people would probably scream at my god awful cable mess.)

Despite that, do I especially want to do that again? Not really. Didn't really save a ton of money. The main thing I got was a better PSU than a pre assembled system has. Oh, and no bloatware.

Kamina

Golden Boy

Came here to post this.
Building a Gamer PC starts with investigating and ordering the correct stuff from the internet.

Kevyt

maybe people just wanna play games and don't give a crap about PC settings?

PC fans just will never learn I guess :(

And that's completely fine. But the main message is that you shouldn't be put off by the complexity of building a PC, because it's not really complex. It's relatively easy, and enjoyable.

Mesoian

Clearly she's a fake gamer girl because she hasn't even played Halo (nor was she alive for it) :p

This is CLEARLY staged, I bet we'll see the casting notes tomorrow morning.

No, real talk, this is great. Everyone should teach their kids how to build a computer early on, get the familiar with dealing with technology in general.

That kid is adorablobs.

Kilau

Gold Member
I love putting systems together. Even if it's not for me or the hardware isn't that great, I just still enjoy it even after all these years. The simple task oriented satisfaction I suppose.

There is nothing hard about doing it but I think it's great teach kids something useful, especially if it helps them find something they enjoy doing for the rest of their lives.

Rizific

asking for help on choosing pc parts is extremely difficult /s. although i do admit, choosing the parts is probably the most time consuming aspect of building a pc. but even then, there are numerous pre-built lists out there that fit almost any budget.

Toparaman

Banned

Yup. It's a lot more of a time investment than simply buying a console.

You would be surprised that knowing the parts to get, as far as compatability is the easiest. People that spend more than 500+ on a PC will do a good amount of research before buying the parts. Websites like PCPartpicker make it even easier.

That's just it though. A lot of people don't want to spend that much time and/or money just to play games. Sure, mere compatibility is a breeze, but if you actually want the advantages of buying a PC over a console, you ostensibly want the best configuration you can get.

Haunted

The last time I thought to myself "Hey, I've seen a small child do this, I can do it too!" it ended with a bottle of whiskey, an unsolved rubik's cube and a lot of tears.

Joking aside, building a PC these days is pretty much a slightly more delicate version of this.

Screen-Shot-2013-11-16-at-9.56.13-PM.jpg

Don't worry, you'll be able to manage.

Sothpaw

How did a 5 year old get $5,000?

Came here to post this.
Building a Gamer PC starts with investigating and ordering the correct stuff from the internet.

Here is what I did. I went to the GAF thread, bought all the parts for the build that I wanted and Lego'd it together. It was as simple as that.

StevieP

Banned

Good thing nvidia and amd have a program that installs with their modern drivers that takes care of those things for you should you choose that path

This apples to me actually. Honestly I'm just lazy. I pay for convenience. I also don't have a use for a desktop, and building one solely for gaming seems like a waste.

Meh.

Orayn

That post has a point, guys. Knowing what parts to get and what is compatible could take tens of minutes in the GAF PC thread asking questions and looking at example builds. TENS! No reasonable adult has that much time to spare!

This apples to me actually. Honestly I'm just lazy. I pay for convenience. I also don't have a use for a desktop, and building one solely for gaming seems like a waste.

Meh.

I get what you are saying but obviously it's not used just for playing games. At least most people I know, they don't use it only to play games.

That post has a point, guys. Knowing what parts to get and what is compatible could take tens of minutes in the GAF PC thread asking questions and looking at example builds. TENS! No reasonable adult has that much time to spare!

It's not worth it! They will get mad!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I think some of us that has actually tried or just upgraded more than 1 part other than a hard drive or video card agree with this.

But you can do research and ask people about what parts to get. Yes, it's more complex than the actual assembly, but you can get help with that stuff. There are only a thousand guides on what the best parts to buy are and what combinations make sense. Getting all the parts and realizing that there's all these little fiddly bits and oh god am I putting in the RAM right and wait which way does the jumper for the AC97 panel go and hey how hard do I have to push on the graphics card to get it to fit or am I doing it wrong? That's the stuff that can frighten people who've never put a computer together before, even after they've done all the research and whatnot. More than just what parts to buy, I think there are plenty of people who think there's no way they can build a whole computer from scratch, that it's somehow fundamentally different from just replacing a graphics card or a hard drive.

I'm sure the main reason they made this video was because it was ADORABLE (you don't have to take it so seriously), but also to show that you don't have to be so frightened of the nitty gritty of assembling a computer. They're pretty resilient nowadays. (Oh god remember when CPUs had actual PINS that you could bend if you inserted them into the motherboard socket improperly, thus fucking up your $200 purchase? And that's $200 in, like, 1990 dollars?)

I get what you are saying but obviously it's not used just for playing games. At least most people I know, they don't use it only to play games.
But the point is that for me, I don't have a use for a PC. I do all my actual work on a laptop, and on a Mac at that. For me, it would really only be for games and I don't feel like wasting money or space on that.

Anteater

Joking aside, building a PC these days is pretty much a slightly more delicate version of this.

Screen-Shot-2013-11-16-at-9.56.13-PM.jpg

Don't worry, you'll be able to manage.

but how do i know which blocks to buy and which block goes where

it'd take weeks to figure that shit out

Jobbs

Banned

oh, come on, the point is that none of it is really that hard. and even more the point of it is that it's adorable.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Knowing what parts to get is as simple as asking someone on the floor if you are at a decent pc part supply store.

This I dont totally agree with. Because just like at any store...some employees are more knowledgeable than others. I bet many that build their own PC's probably know more than some that work in the stores.

Perfect example is Home Depot. Most folks just know where the product is, but for detailed info....you are better off talking to customers that actually use the products.

Wow, great post. It might also be a great form of parenting and part of early childhood education to build something with her old man. Regardless of outcome, it seems like a beneficial exercise in fine motor and cognitive development. Why not start early? I bet she'll appreciate the experience.

Especially in the age of tablet interaction, which - despite ease and variety - lacks any form of operator interlocution.

DJ_Lae

I'm totally doing that with my daughter for my next build.

Though there's no way in hell my daughter (4) could put on my Hyper 212 Evo cooler - it's a pain in the ass. The one in the video looks leagues easier somehow, but maybe it's just due to the motherboard and me needing to use a backplate.

To be honest, I think understanding how each part exactly react and interact with each other in a compatible manner is not something I could ever hope to understand. So when I recently built my PC, I just checked the NeoGAF PC thread and copied the "Best Value" column wholesale.

I was so afraid I'd break something, though, so I just asked my brother to assemble it for me. It did look easy, but it's still scary.

So at least for me the sliding in of the hard drive and tightening screws was actually the hardest part (well not really because somebody else did it. But still)

Man, some of you people are turds. I mean, the guy is just saying that if you want a new PC you shouldn't be afraid to build your own, as opposed to buying a prebuilt system. Fucking console warriors need to chill the fuck out.

Top Bottom