• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update

Tangled. ★★★★★

I wasn't really expecting a whole lot, but this turned out to be one of the best animated films I've ever seen. The animation was fantastic and the colour palette was beautiful. The songs were not remarkable, but didn't overstay their welcome . Everything about this film was injected with such a level of love and care and I want to go back and watch it right now. It's taking every ounce of my willpower to not flood this post with gifs.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Update! Been finding some nice relaxing time to read and watch a few movies. Hopefully I'll find some more time to finish Far Cry 3 too.

Books
  • A Caribbean Myster (1964), Agetha Christie - ★★★ - Having recently been in the Caribbean I felt it was time to get this out of my liberary backlog and read it. It's a solid mystery novel if a bit predictable. Some of the details about the Caribbean were nice. Nothing really noteworthy.

Movies
  • Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005, dir. Steve Box, Nick Park) - ★★★ - First Wallace and Gromit I've ever seen, which I find quite remarkable. Solid script keeps it together and it feels like they had a great time with this in production.
  • Beasts of the Southern Wilds (2012, dir. Benh Zeitlin) - ★★★★½ - A truely unique movie. The fantasy aspects are exceptionally well realized. You have no idea what you are watching but you're rooting for Hushpuppy and the human spirit to win.
  • Thank You For Smoking (2005, dir. Jason Reitman) - ★★★ - Unlike Fast Food Nation, which I saw a couple of days ago, this isn't as heavy handed and with a clearer point. And it manages to get it across. I'm guessing Reitman had a clearer picture of what he wanted to accomplish. It's good but without anything that makes it really noteworthy.

★ = Bad, ★★ = Okay, ★★★ = Good, ★★★★ = Very good, ★★★★★ = Brilliant

Holiday

Banned
update

On the board with 1 book, Philosophical Apprenticeships by Hans-Georg Gadamer. He gives some very interesting stories about several decades of academic life in Germany.

daffy

Banned
I was surprised to see how much I enjoyed Star of Milos, particularly since my feelings of the last FMA film involved me vomiting into a paper bag. The film did feel like an extended episode, but I didn't have a problem with that due to being a side story in the FMA mythos. Actually I quite enjoy seeing another country's problems that wasn't exclusively on Amestris or Ishval.
I agree about Shamballa :p I liked the way they formatted this one and I was happy that it took place as a side story overall. Table City was a really interesting setting as well, and how they brought in Creta, Amestris, and the valley dwellers into a confrontational mix. There was so much going on during the train sequence and it was so tense. All it really made me do is think of all the good times had watching Brotherhood!

update

Mostly been watching movies, as can be seen in link. A Scanner Darkly was mesmerizing and my favorite of movies listed so far. The Day the Earth Stood Still is my least favorite, it might be considered a classic but it's so cheesy when watched today, Also started reading Maximum Bob by Elmore Leonard but am only on page 70. I plan on watching football and then going out today before the weather turns to total shit here, but after that my reading should be going on at a faster pace

EvaristeG

Banned
Update with my first book, and another movie.
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (1600) and Fallen Angels by Wong Kar Wai (1995).

EvaristeG, books 1, movies 3.

Edited the mainpost as always.

2/50 Movies l 0/50 Books

Just finished 'Hiroshima Mon Amour"

Hiroshima+Mon+Amour.jpg

A French film from 1959. I was interested in it after seeing that photo ^ on my friend's iPhone. Pretty interesting film. Japanese lead actor with a French lead actress...set in Hiroshima...but mostly spoken in French.

Hit me hard. Mostly about love's forgetfulness. I get weary sometimes when watching old films but this one...I dont know, there's a lot of truth to it.

I have a feeling I'll be revisiting it down the years.

Hiroshima Mon Amour ★★★★½

Jintor

2/50 Movies l 0/50 Books

Just finished 'Hiroshima Mon Amour"

A French film from 1959. I was interested in it after seeing that photo ^ on my friend's iPhone. Pretty interesting film. Japanese lead actor with a French lead actress...set in Hiroshima...but mostly spoken in French.

Hit me hard. Mostly about love's forgetfulness. I get weary sometimes when watching old films but this one...I dont know, there's a lot of truth to it.

I have a feeling I'll be revisiting it down the years.

Hiroshima Mon Amour ★★★★½

That's cool. netflix? hulu?

So we've been snowed in all day, and will be snowed in all day tomorrow.

Just finished Sharknado, going to fire up Carrie or All is Lost next, maybe read before bed.

Mama - ★★½ while I really enjoyed the special effects and some of the jump scares, the overall story didn't do much for me and the third acted wasn't coherent and felt rushed. The little girls did a good job thought out the film tho.

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind - ★★★★½ loved it, friends told me to see it glad I did. Nausicaa is my new wafui :p

In Bruges- ★★★½ enjoyed it, great dialogue and Colin Farrell was great

Necrovex

Mama - ★★½ while I really enjoyed the special effects and some of the jump scares, the overall story didn't do much for me and the third acted wasn't coherent and felt rushed. The little girls did a good job thought out the film tho.

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind - ★★★★½ loved it, friends told me to see it glad I did. Nausicaa is my new wafui :p

In Bruges- ★★★½ enjoyed it, great dialogue and Colin Farrell was great

Kushana will be your new waifu when you read the (vastly superior to the film) Nausicaa manga.

Just finished The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut (1959) ★★★½

Vonnegut playing some 7th dimensional chess here. Setting up things on almost every page that pay off much later. Only his second novel, but the themes he would explore throughout his career are all here - the absurdity of the human condition, the nature of free will, agnosticism.

Only negative is that the major characters are a bit too much like those 7th dimensional chess pieces . There isn't a lot to grab onto or empathize with regarding the 3 main characters. Most of that is intentional and part of the nature of the plot.
They literally get their mind wiped several times, they are later found to be being controlled by extraterrestrial forces.
Still, for those folks who need complex characters in their novels, this one probably isn't for you.

Though it wasn't my favorite Vonnegut novel, I would recommend it heartily.

Up next - The Buccaneers of America - Alexander O. Exquemelin (1678!!) - After playing way too much AC IV:Black Flag, I was in the mood for a pirate story.

Saw The Wolf of Wall Street yesterday (Up to 2/50 movies). I didn't know much about it going in but I just felt it was kind of flat and lifeless, which is surprising given the subject matter and Leo's performance. It doesn't seem to have much to say about its subject and it just kind of ends without much of a conclusion. Some scenes go on too long and it feels like the film is just reveling in the hedonistic excesses of the characters even after the point is made. But maybe that's the point. The scene with
Jordan trying to get back home while high and get Danny off the phone
had me rolling though. ★★★

Just finished The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut (1959) ★★★½

Vonnegut playing some 7th dimensional chess here. Setting up things on almost every page that pay off much later. Only his second novel, but the themes he would explore throughout his career are all here - the absurdity of the human condition, the nature of free will, agnosticism.

Only negative is that the major characters are a bit too much like those 7th dimensional chess pieces . There isn't a lot to grab onto or empathize with regarding the 3 main characters. Most of that is intentional and part of the nature of the plot.
They literally get their mind wiped several times, they are later found to be being controlled by extraterrestrial forces.
Still, for those folks who need complex characters in their novels, this one probably isn't for you.

Though it wasn't my favorite Vonnegut novel, I would recommend it heartily.

Up next - The Buccaneers of America - Alexander O. Exquemelin (1678!!) - After playing way too much AC IV:Black Flag, I was in the mood for a pirate story.

I'm on page 200 of Sirens and its probably the most hilarious Vonnegut novel I've read. The amount of wit on display is almost as mind boggling as the overall nature of the story.

Probably might go for a major in him to help finish the challenge. One of my favorite authors to read.

campfireweekend - 4/50 Books | 8/50 Movies

So I've just binged quite a lot of Sherlock, from the end of season 1-2. Great show, and I'm so glad it counts toward the total count.

I also watched Battle Royale which I thought was decent. There were a few plot points which I didn't understand, but I had fun.
Announcer girl is my waifu.
Anyone have some good Japanese or Korean movie recommendations? I promised myself I'd watch more this year.

Lastly I finished the foundation trilogy by finishing up Second Foundation. I already largely elaborated on my thoughts in a previous post, so I'll just say that the last novel was probably my favorite, and the whole trilogy was absolutely fantastic.

Ashes

Banned
Ashes1396 - Books 2/50 | Films 1/50

Books

1. Cards on the table. [ A. Christie]
2. From Hell [writer Alan Moore and artist Eddie Campbell]

-

From Hell. The book I've been thinking to get my head around for the longest while. So I did. Never seen my neighbourhood so bleakly framed. Don't go for a walk after dark I suppose. Not in the heart of the East End at least.

Edit:

Film

1. Vuk: the little fox.

X-Frame

The lead girl in Step Up 2 is hot like fire.

When I was in Venice Beach, CA in 2010 on vacation, I saw her riding a bike along the beach with a friend/sister. I knew it was her immediately even from a good distance, coming straight at us since my friends and I were walking along the bike path. I was the only one who knew who she was.

I even confirmed it was her because I checked her Twitter that day and she tweeted that she was there, it was pretty cool!

Watched 3 movies so far.

Samson and Delilah (1949). This film was a product of its time, and i cannot rate it. But seeing Angela Lansbury as the hot young thing really creeps me out. I grew up watching Murder She Wrote and i guess i believe she came into existence in her 60's.

What a Way To Go. Apparently Shirley Maclaine could dance. But i watched this for Gene Kelly. Love the flair he brings to his dancing.

Bend It Like Beckham. An excellent film. I meant to watch this when it came out. How many years has it been? Oof. I give it 5 stars for plausibility, and making every character reasonably likable.

Mumei

Update: 3 Movies, 2 Books

I watched the first (two hour) episode of Ken Burns' The National Parks: America's Best Idea. I plan on watching the rest ~eventually~ but I'm only going to count the first episode for the purposes of the challenge. I don't want six slots taken up by it!

Nachos

Two movies and one book down! Next up will be The Quiet American.

Fruitvale Station was enjoyable, but ultimately disposable. I hadn't heard of the incident it was based around, so at least I know its details. As a recreation of the events leading up to the shooting off Oscar Grant, everything was well acted, but the material simply did not lend itself to being a feature length film. The movie meanders a lot and is far too on the nose with its foreshadowing and the message it wants to convey for the death to have any impact when it happens. In that sense, it's actually a disservice to the man. It's a thoroughly average film saved by the few believable and touching moments between father and daughter.

Voice-Over Voice Actor is, as the title suggests, a primer on voice acting by two veterans in the field (and no strangers to PersonaGAF) Yuri Lowenthal and Tara Platt. As a primer, the book is geared towards anyone with a vested or passing interest in voice acting who might not otherwise know where to begin learning about it. The book is well-organized and does a great job of addressing the various factors involved in the business, but does so in the most shallow way possible. Part of this stems from the very nature of this line of work, particularly in how personal everything can be and how little of it (save for the technical) can be generalized. Still, for something so individualized, the book suffers from a bad sense of detachment, relying on a poor sense of faux-quirkiness to build any sense of rapport between author and reader, disturbing the otherwise wonderful organization. The book tries to charm you with cheap, templated clip art comics, when it is fact the small blurbs by other professionals peppered in between the sections that have the most personality and warmth. Still, it acts as a nice first step for any aspiring voice actors.

A Band Called Death
Punk has always had a nebulous history, no doubt in part to its very definition. Though both the music and its subsequent movement have had their origins pinpointed to the late '70s, the genre simply suffers from a lack of good documentation that will likely plague fans with the need to debate who the true pioneers were for many more years to come. One such band that miraculously managed to avoid these pitfalls is also one of the greatest outliers - the punkest of punk: Death.

As an all-black punk group who got their shaky start before The Ramones were even The Ramones, Death was a band that should have never existed, given the myriad influences trying to tear it apart. As a rock band springing up within one of the many black communities of Detroit, all three of the members were vilified by that very community for playing "white people music" - something distinctively foreign in neighborhoods and towns characterized by Motown. For those few willing to listen to them, and the fewer offering a record deal, the question was always "Why not change the name?" A world of money and fame awaited in exchange for but the smallest compromise, and yet, its visionary, David Hackney simply would not relent, no matter how small the change.

What would become a band spearheaded by pure stubbornness and a very specific, if poorly-communicated, notion of what the band would be should have been fated to eternal obscurity. But it wasn't. Over thirty years since the band's inception, nine years after the master mind's death, his creation had found a new audience. Always a spiritual one, David told that this would happen to his brothers (and fellow band mates) shortly before he left this earth, and now, those words sound outright prophetic. Despite all the odds stacked against it, all common sense condemning it to never being heard again, Death lives.

Likely due in no small part to David's obsessive mind, Death is incredibly well-documented, with various photos, movies and recordings still preserved for all the world to see. This gave the editors the ability to make a highly idealized work, with various photographs spliced together to create scenes that reinvigorate the past, lending it a necessary liveliness as the still-living members recount how the improbable happened. Unlike Fruitvale Station, A Band Called Death does do justice to its subject matter, letting material stifled for thirty years finally come out.

daffy

Banned
Watched 3 movies so far.

Samson and Delilah (1949). This film was a product of its time, and i cannot rate it. But seeing Angela Lansbury as the hot young thing really creeps me out. I grew up watching Murder She Wrote and i guess i believe she came into existence in her 60's.

What a Way To Go. Apparently Shirley Maclaine could dance. But i watched this for Gene Kelly. Love the flair he brings to his dancing.

Bend It Like Beckham. An excellent film. I meant to watch this when it came out. How many years has it been? Oof. I give it 5 stars for plausibility, and making every character reasonably likable.

Bend It Like Beckham is awesome. I used to watch it every year for like 5 years when it first came out. The soundtrack is amazing.

Still traveling but just a quick update.
Books: 1/50
Finished escape from camp 14. Will write up a review Wednesday after I get back.

Started the second book but a little distracted with Virtues Last Reward on the 3Ds.

1/50 for the movies as well, but won't watch anything else until I'm back home with my boyfriend.

When I was in Venice Beach, CA in 2010 on vacation, I saw her riding a bike along the beach with a friend/sister. I knew it was her immediately even from a good distance, coming straight at us since my friends and I were walking along the bike path. I was the only one who knew who she was.

I even confirmed it was her because I checked her Twitter that day and she tweeted that she was there, it was pretty cool!

That's sweet! She is gorgeous.

Nert

Movies: 1/50

I watched American Psycho for the first time last night. Not everything in it worked for me, but there were several brilliant moments (everything with the business cards, the "not if you want to keep your spleen" line, the revolving door bit). Bale really threw himself into that role in a brilliantly manic way. Not sure how I feel about the ending.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Failed last year (12 Books and 30 movies). In it to win it this year!

Ermac - 1/50 Books | 2/50 Movies

Books
The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat

Movies
Mud
Watchmen

Just started reading Blindness by Jose Saramago.

Movies: 1/50

I watched American Psycho for the first time last night. Not everything in it worked for me, but there were several brilliant moments (everything with the business cards, the "not if you want to keep your spleen" line, the revolving door bit). Bale really threw himself into that role in a brilliantly manic way. Not sure how I feel about the ending.

The beauty of that film is that upon every rewatching you can choose to reinterpret it as a horror thriller or comedy as you see fit. I have seen it at least 20 times now and I'm convinced that it's an absolute masterpiece.

Just finished Reamde by Neal Stephenson. It was a fun read but was my least favorite book I've read by the author so far. Deus ex machina all over the place. I've read that some people don't view it as science fiction but all of the video game theory was way out there.

jarofbees

Neo Member
Read Touch - Elmore Leonard

Working my way through the entire Elmore Leonard back catalogue so there'll be plenty of mentions this year. This was similarly well written to his other novels but a different take on a faith healer / stigmata story.

Watched Mission to Lars - brother and sister take their autistic brother on a trip to meet Lars Ulrich (drummer from Metallica). The sister in particular came across entirely selfishly, ignoring most of the information carers and parents provided making the entire process much more painful for everyone than it should have been.

Next up - started the Invisibles collection (1600+ pages) by Grant Morrison. Suspect I may dip in and out of this over the next few months to avoid overload

ittoryu

Right, let's do this!
It's my first attempt, so I'll probably fail miserably :)

Will update the post as I will go on with my (impossible) mission.

ittoryu - 0/50 books | 0/50 movies

Books:
Movies:

Atrophis

I'm starting to feel antsy. Six days into the year and nothing to update yet! I am not bothering with movies just yet as I did 62 easily last year. I am hopefully going to finish The Long Earth by Baxter and Pratchett tonight. It's been very enjoyable so far.

RedShift

RedShift - 3/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Just finished Mockingjay. Got to say I found it a bit disappointing. It annoys me how
Katniss makes all these terrible decisions, like selfishly hunting down Snow, voting to stage a revenge Hunger Games (WTF), and then randomly murdering in cold blood someone because she thinks they might have done some bad things, and still gets a happy ending.

Katniss doesn't deserve Peeta. He's too nice.

Still the series was enjoyable. Plus I only have to read one more book in 25 days to keep up the pace for January. I should probably find a movie to watch.

Empty

Empty - 1/50 books | 3/50 movies

Books:

1. the end of the affair by graham greene - morally complex and troubling look at a man's obsession with a woman he used to have an affair with. greene uses the first person perspective expertly to take you right inside his jealously and mental anguish as he deals with both loving and hating this woman, then shifts to showing you her perspective in a powerful take on religious belief through a journal found by the lead. the book is in general very well constructed, the story is simple but it's constantly finding new elements in it and surprising you, but i felt some of the side characters felt a bit flat.

Movies:

2. the aristocrats - pretty mediocre. kinda an awkward blend between two excellent earlier disney films - the lady and the tramp and 101 dalmatians but lacking the strength of character or story coherence of those films.
3. from up on poppy hill - decent coming of age romance story set in sixties japan. reminiscent of some wonderful ghibli films like whisper of the heart and only yesterday but not quite there. i liked the sixties setting with the optimism of tokyo olympics coming, the school clubhouse location as the backdrop for much drama, the effects being felt still of the wars in the previous decades, tackling ideas about new and old japan, umi was well realized as a character and the way even the most realistic ghibli films visually present this beautiful harmony between man made things and natural world makes my heart flutter. however the story occasionally gets too much into melodrama and while this is a step up from goro's last effort the (mostly tacky) stylistic flourishes and over-use of music suggests a director not entirely confident with just telling the story.

Whools

This seems somewhat achievable on the movie front, and I wanted to read more in the coming year, as last year I only read like 10 books, less than I've read in any year in the last decade or so. And I figure having a community element to it will drive me on and get ideas from.

Whools - 1/50 Books | 3/50 Movies

Books
Robert Galbraith/J.K. Rowling - The Cuckoo's Calling ★★★★

Movies
2 Guns ★★★
Sherlock: The Empty Hearse ★★★★½
Sherlock: The Sign of Three ★★★★½

nynt9

First update! - original post here

nynt9 - 1/50 books | 3/50 movies

Books:

• Charles Stross - The Atrocity Archives ★★★★★

Was a great book. Had a slow start, but got pretty thrilling near the end. Understandable since it's the first book in a series. As a computer scientist, the surprisingly accurate terminology was very pleasing to me. I'd categorize this as hard urban scifi with Lovecraft. Or something like that, I don't know. Will be reading the rest of the series.

Movies:

• The Wolf of Wall Street ★★★★

Great movie, if a bit too long. Leo's performance was amazing but the movie kind of went nowhere. It's based on an actual person's life, which is understandable, but I felt like at least 20 minutes could be cut easily.

• The World's End ★★

The weakest of the Simon Pegg trilogy, or whatever it's called. Wasn't really funny, was to cheesy and the point it was trying to make about growing up was hamfisted and felt shoehorned in.

• Upstream Color ★★★

Very interesting movie from the director of Primer. The concept is intriguing, and the camera work is great, but the pacing is a bit off. Still I found the concept to be interesting and it's worth watching for that alone.

• Sherlock S03E01 ★★★★

Was a solid episode, but it spent a lot of time on auxiliary things like making fun of the fanbase. Of course, Cumberbatch and Freeman are great and they carry the episode. Left a surprising amount of questions for the rest of the season. Overall it was good but it didn't have that magical feeling I got when I watched S01E01 or S02E01. Maybe it's me, who knows.

Update!

avengers23 - 1/50 books | 1/50 movies
(original post here)

Books:
1. Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville

Five attempts later, I've finally finished the book. Mieville gets a lot of credit for world-building, but I just don't see it. It seems like the goal is to overwhelm the reader with details about New Crobuzon (this is the red light district, these are the slums, this is where the militia is housed) without imbuing any of these areas with a sense of life. I get a better sense of a city from one of Pratchett's City Watch books than about New Crobuzon in Perdido Street Station.

At some points, the insistence on remixed words ("chymical") work to build a sense of the world for me, while others ("elyctrical") just seem like a silly affectation.

And then there's the book's resolution, which relied on a deus ex machina (Jack Half-a-Prayer) to bail out the characters in overcoming its plot problem and another deus ex machina (Kar’uchai) to resolve the protagonist's moral dilemma and to allow the suriving characters to make their escape from New Crobuzon. It also felt cheap and exploitative to make sexual assault to make the point about choice.

Films:
1. Frances Ha

Perdido Street Station may have been overhyped by the time I read it, but I wasn't impressed. Mieville gets a lot of credit for world-building, but New Crobuzon never felt alive to me. And not only does the plot get resolved by a deus ex machina, but the protagonist's moral dilemma at the end gets resolved by an appearance of a character from nowhere.

Frances Ha: It's Girls: The Movie.

krpiper

Update! 1 book and 2 movies

Brian's Song (1971) ★★★★ This was a made for TV movie, that deals with a NFL player who has cancer, pretty good movie though. A true story as well
Catfish (2010) ★★★ The TV show with the same name is based around this documentary. Do you truly know who you are talking to on the other end? My Mom and girlfriend love the MTV series, so they wanted to watch this as well.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Update

Lovestruck: The Musical ★★ - Me and the wife watched this on Saturday night, Meh I didn't hate it. The music was OK, the best part was Chelsea Kane, She is super HOT. It was a made for TV movie about a mother that takes a tonic to reverse her age so she can try and stop her daughter from getting married.

last night felt like a movie night, so I watched some films while working on my app:
4/50 books 5/50 movies
Tangled ****
(dnc) Cinderella Man
(dnc) The Incredibles

I'd already seen the last two so they aren't counting, but I had forgotten how good they were. I really recommend them if you haven't seen them. Cinderella Man is a film by Ron Howard based on a real-life tale of a once-great boxer in the great depression coming back in a 'Cinderella-esque' fashion. The Incredibles and Tangled, are, well Disney and Pixar movies. Frozen's overall quality made me take a look at Disney's recent films, and I was surprised to see such love for Tangled....and it was well deserved.

Update

N0S4A2 by Joe Hill - A man who kidnaps children and takes them off to Christmasland meets his match in the only girl to ever get away. This books was a page turner. I ended up finishing 500 pages of it in a day. There is a little bit of Christine in there, a little bit of The Shining. Overall, worth picking up. ★★★★

Update

N0S4A2 by Joe Hill - A man who kidnaps children and takes them off to Christmasland meets his match in the only girl to ever get away. This books was a page turner. I ended up finishing 500 pages of it in a day. There is a little bit of Christine in there, a little bit of The Shining. Overall, worth picking up. ★★★★

I've heard this is actually a better sequel to The Shining than Dr. Sleep is. I usually avoid the horror genre, but it might be worth checking out later.

Necrovex

I completed my first book for this challenge:

The Quiet American- Graham Greene ★★★★★

A fantastic look at the Indochina War, and America's involvement in France's and Vietnam's affairs to fight the "evils" of communism! Greene is a fantastic writer as one can truly feel the impact on some of the darkest moments in the book.

I've heard this is actually a better sequel to The Shining than Dr. Sleep is. I usually avoid the horror genre, but it might be worth checking out later.

I've trapped myself in a horror hole this month. I started The Shining Girls this morning and will, hopefully, start Doctor Sleep next week. Should I not set my expectations very high?

I'd agree that N0S4A2 felt like a Shining book, but there were so many other nods to his father's work that I didn't pigeonhole it in that way. It the perfect book to close out my short winter vacation. I would suggest reading it while it's still cold out. It made the Christmasland portions even creepier.

Netflix has a ton of B- shlocky movies that I never had an excuse to watch until now. I love Roger Corman movies and stuff that is so bad its good, so the tough part of this competition for me, which is movies, is going along ok.

Books are easy for me, I've got about 100 books on my to read list on goodreads, the only problem is length. I'm going to run through some Douglas Adams, good excuse to read Hitchhikers Guide. I always wanted to read some Terry Pratchet, and Discworld seems perfect for this challenge. Especially since there will be some new releases this year clocking in at 1000 pages that I know I will have to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom