• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Cent's 7-year-old son is the reason Blood on the Sand has helicopters

FoneBone

Of the myriad licensed games that will probably never get ported to PC and/or newer consoles, this is probably my most wanted. :(

eshwaaz

I really wish Swordfish was still around. This, and their FPS called Cold Winter, were both very fun shooters. Some really nice level design in Cold Winter.

Tizoc

I want someone to hack Breath of the Wild and inject Fiddy's lines from the game into it
Legend of Fiddy: Breath of the Wild

Ah man was just checking prices, looks like the servers are gone. Shame.

Just checked it over my local wireless network with two 360s and two Gold GTs (yay $1 gold!). I was able to see and join each GT's game by using the in game browser.

WHEW! So as for just being able to play here at home in CO-OP with a friend, I am still good. This game deserves better than server shutdown oblivion.

Fisty

Just checked it over my local wireless network with two 360s and two Gold GTs (yay $1 gold!). I was able to see and join each GT's game by using the in game browser.

WHEW! So as for just being able to play here at home in CO-OP with a friend, I am still good. This game deserves better than server shutdown oblivion.

Oh that's cool, does PS3 have LAN support like that?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
We need to start letting young kids lead creative decisions and directions in today's video game market. Utilize this untapped potential.

Oh that's cool, does PS3 have LAN support like that?

It should. Now I cannot absolutely guarantee that, but "join CO-OP" is a menu option, and the other machine had its game set to "open" (you can choose invite, friend's list, or open). Then vice versa for the other test. No problems at all.

So I figure the PSN side of it is very similar. EDIT 2: Oh yeah, PS3 online is free. Sorry about that. So yeah, even better for your platform. Thanks Fisty!

EDIT: Co-Optimus states that both console versions have drop in/drop out 2 player online CO-OP, but no "LAN"/"System Link"/"Combined (Local Offline +Online)" support. So I guess the in game browser is still functional then?

I enjoyed the hell out of Bulletproof on OG Xbox.... But y'all are saying Blood in the Sand is better????
tumblr_muwvj0QxIV1rvo0tro2_250.gif

Fisty

It should. Now I cannot absolutely guarantee that, but "join CO-OP" is a menu option, and the other machine had its game set to "open" (you can choose invite, friend's list, or open). Then vice versa for the other test. No problems at all.

So I figure the PSN side of it is very similar. But do keep in mind that you will need PS+ for both players, just like you need both GT's to have Gold on the 360 side.

Online is free on PS3, but also looking at some forums they mention the platinum trophy is unattainable due to servers being down, but they don't mention any LAN solutions working either, so I wasn't sure

Hmm maybe servers are still up on 360 version only?

Hardly much of a sacrifice. Blood on the Sand was legit one of the best TPS of last-generation. Writer must be confused with the PS2 50 Cent game that was actually trash.

And the PSP one came out after that, kept the cutscenes, but turned the game into Gauntlet and it worked.

Vitor711

For anyone asking if this was a good game - you remember The Club by Bizarre? This is a better version of that.

Legit decent game in spite of itself.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Great great game. Not my favourite TPS from last gen but it's a fucking great game. Very fast, controls really well, is absolutely ridiculous and the coop is great. I'd happily play it again if they made it backwards compatible. You can tell the developers loved making a game out of a completely ridiculous concept.

Online is free on PS3, but also looking at some forums they mention the platinum trophy is unattainable due to servers being down, but they don't mention any LAN solutions working either, so I wasn't sure

Hmm maybe servers are still up on 360 version only?

I thought it was a case that online coop on the PS3 used Gamespy so it shut down but online on 360 is xbox live so it's still ongoing to this day. I wouldn't know for sure though you'd need someone with each versions to try.

Xclusion

I don't think I knew this game existed I came in here to defend in but I was thinking about bulletproof, which was a great game at the time for what it was.

I might have to try to get my hands on this...

BOTS is a genuinely good game. RIP Swordfish.

Incidentally, I heard something similar to this about Simpsons games - Matt Groening wouldn't approve them unless his kids liked them, which led to some problems for the devs.

brawly

This was a good game on gameplay alone. Then you add in the soundtrack and the dialogue and you have a gem.

Shifty

This game was definitely a lot of fun... developer sounds whiny.

"We had to develop a game and CHANGE/ADD THINGS because people told us to! Ugh so awful... but but but this is just supposed to be a game about standing or sitting behind cover shooting people! You want VARIETY in the gameplay, are you MAD!?"

Spoken like someone with no clue about how the creative process actually works.

A universal rule in game production is that you nail down major gameplay design decisions at the start so the systems that power them can be built cleanly from the ground-up.

Shoehorning support for cars, helicopters and that big-ass ramp into a codebase that was never designed to support them at the eleventh hour is the stuff of software development nightmares. It invalidates the original software design, introduces exponentially more work than it would have as a from-the-top feature, and is the kind of decision that can sink an otherwise-healthy project.

Add to that the fact that it was mandated by a small child and you have a recipe for the dev team losing their minds.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

"We had to develop a game and CHANGE/ADD THINGS because people told us to! Ugh so awful... but but but this is just supposed to be a game about standing or sitting behind cover shooting people! You want VARIETY in the gameplay, are you MAD!?"

Spoken like someone with no clue about how the creative process actually works.

A universal rule in game production is that you nail down major gameplay design decisions at the start so the systems that power them can be built cleanly from the ground-up.

Shoehorning support for cars, helicopters and that big-ass ramp into a codebase that was never designed to support them at the eleventh hour is the stuff of software development nightmares. It invalidates the original software design, introduces exponentially more work than it would have as a from-the-top feature, and is the kind of decision that can sink an otherwise-healthy project.

Add to that the fact that it was mandated by a small child and you have a recipe for the dev team losing their minds.

Took the words out of mouth for that reply. It's not like the developers whip out their magic programming wand and viola, it's done. The game was never designed to support these features, it;s like... There's not a really good single analogy, but I guess the easiest explanation I could do is that it's like you recorded a whole season of a TV show, it's about all done and just being in later editing, and then being told you need to add in a new character to play a major crucial role in the series with a new plot point and who has to appear in all the episodes who was never part of the show to begin with. That would be a production studio's nightmare as there's so much work to go to just insert in some character who was never planned when all is shot and done, and now you want what?

It's even worse than that analogy though because adding something like that so late into development could break various elements of the game that need reworking from the coding, to the design, to the physics, and I could go on but it becomes a haphazard mess. A game is built on mechanics and designed around that, adding something like this so late into development isn't like stapling it on, it basically means tearing down your game and adding it in then trying to piece it back together. Costly, time-consuming, and adds to the nightmare that already is late-game crunch without major changes like that.

Keasar

If you want to laugh, here's a video containing all of the cinematics and cutscenes.

This game is so stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCa6jCNXVMw

My nephew who was (haven't seen him in years so maybe he still is) a complete and utter hip-hop fan loved 50 Cent and had this game. He genuinly thought that 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand was some kind of autobiography game about 50 Cent's life made by 50 Cent's friends (as in his crew, not a big studio).

The biggest take from the article I get is the pain of the designers having to work with a rapper who, if the game is anything to go by, is a spoiled psychotic murderer who whines about getting paid and has no clue about the pain of game development. :p
Implementing the helicopters (and, also at the behest of Fiddy, car chases) was apparently a giant pain in the ass, as Flatt said the designers "stitched" those segments together with bits and pieces of code that was never intended to support vehicles. "We had to get cars working and bumping into each other; make AI that would fight you while driving; create audio for engines and collision sounds. [It required] a huge amount of mechanics and work just for small sections of gameplay that were completely useless for the core shooter part," Flatt said.
This shit is the absolute worst, implementing stuff in the middle of development you never intended to have and therefore haven't prepared.

You have no clue then. :p
Shifty answered the best, unless you're making a game for small children, having suddenly a 7-year old interject and start wanting features added to a game which is already halfway through development which is then FORCED to be added by a whiny ass rapper with a ego complex is basically nightmare hell incarnate for developers. And not like small features like more guns (which can be added through scripting and modelling) or different enemies (also scripting) but whole new gameplay sections that NOTHING in the code supports.

Top Bottom