• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Must-See Movies in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiredhand

BTW, they do make movies outside Hollywood. Few films I'm looking forward to in 2009 (all these movies are listed in IMDb as 2009 releases)

Pedro Almodovar: Los Abrazos rotos (Broken Embraces)
- starring Penelope Cruz and Alfred Molina
- centers on a four-way tale of dangerous love, shot in the style of a hard-boiled 1950s American film noir (from Wikipedia)

Alejandro Amenábar: Agora
- starring Rachel Weisz
- A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria.

Lars von Trier: Antichrist
- starring Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg
- A couple mourning the loss of their child retreat to a cabin in the woods, where they soon encounter strange, terrifying occurrences.

Jim Jarmusch: The Limits of Control
- Starring Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, John Hurt, Gael García Bernal, Paz de la Huerta, Hiam Abbass, Youki Kudoh and Isaach De Bankolé
- The story of a mysterious loner, a stranger in the process of completing a criminal job.

Sylvain Chomet: The Illusionist
- Details the story of a dying breed of stage entertainer whose thunder is being stolen by emerging rock stars...
- The film is be based on an unproduced script by Jacques Tati.
- Second animated feature film by Sylvain Chomet, the director of The Triplets of Belleville.

Johnny To: The Red Circle
- Remake of Jean-Pierre Melville's crime classic.
- starring Liam Neeson, Chow Yun-Fat and Alain Delon

Nicolas Winding Refn: Valhalla Rising
- Movie is about a mute Viking imprisoned in Scotland and upon escaping discovering North America.
- Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn (Pusher trilogy) and starring Mads Mikkelsen.

Alejandro Jodorowsky: King Shot
- Director's first film in 19 years.
- Starring Nick Nolte, Marilyn Manson, Udo Kier and Asia Argento.

Terence Malick: The Tree of Life
- The story centers around a family with three boys in the 1950s. The eldest son witnesses the loss of innocence. IMDb says that the genre is Action/Adventure/Drama/Fantasy/Sci-Fi.
- Apparently already in post-production.
- Starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt.

Werner Herzog: Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
- Really weird choice for Herzog to direct this. It has a good cast though.
- Nicolas Cage, Eva Mendes, Val Kilmer, Jennifer Coolidge and Brad Dourif.

Ricky Gervais and Matthew Robinson: This Side of the Truth
- Starring Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Jonah Hill, Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey, Patrick Stewart, Rob Lowe, Christopher Guest, Jeffrey Tambor and Karl Pilkington.
- A comedy set in a world where no one has ever lied, until a writer seizes the opportunity for personal gain.

I'm pretty sure I missed some great ones. I also left out Woo's Red Cliff (part2) and Miyazaki's Ponyo on a Cliff because most people know of those already.

Solo

Chanwook Park's "Thirst" is also coming this year. Im A Cyborg, But Thats OK was my first disappointment from him, but after JSA, Mr V, Oldboy, Lady V, Im going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

hiredhand said:
- Starring Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Jonah Hill, Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey, Patrick Stewart, Rob Lowe, Christopher Guest, Jeffrey Tambor and Karl Pilkington.
- A comedy set in a world where no one has ever lied, until a writer seizes the opportunity for personal gain.

Forgot about this. Is there a date for it yet?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm interested in seeing these in the theatre:

Xmen Origins: Wolverine (Seems like an okay way to start the summer season. Hopefully this one will be as good or better than X2 and not like the crapfest that was X3.)

Terminator: Salvation (I wasn't crazy about T3 but I'm still interested to see if this one can get the franchise back on track.)

Final Destination 4 - Death Trip 3D (The Final Destination flicks are a guilty pleasure of mine. I actually had no idea they were making a 4th until I read this list so this was a pleasant surprise. They are always a good time at the movies. The audience always gets into it. And this one is in 3D? Yeah, it will be awesome.)

Avatar (James Cameron, nuff said)

I will probably catch Public Enemies, The Soloist, The Brothers Bloom, Shutter Island, State of Play, and The Lovely Bones on DVD.

Costanza

Banned
hiredhand said:
wow @ this cast. when does it come out?

Aegus

I made a list of films I want to see this year and I came to 16 films.

Rec2 is out this year as well in Spain.

Timbuktu

hiredhand said:

...you left out Orlando Bloom and anyway i don't think this is coming. Johnnie To is working with Johnny Hallyday on VENGEANCE.

A photo
U2184P28T3D2270126F326DT20081127202246.JPG

Looks like To might recycle some props from Sparrow

One to look out for from HK might be THE SHINJUKU INCIDENT from Derek Yee. I would place Yee on par To in terms of ability and it might turn out good if this doesn't get shafted by the Chinese censors.

Nothing tops Avatar and the second coming of JC of course. Public Enemies, Up and Inglourious Basterds and Shutter Island would round off my top five anticipated from Hollywood.

Delon isn't in a To movie any more, he opted out and they got Johnny Hallyday for the movie above.

BTW this sounds amazing:

- centers on a four-way tale of dangerous love, shot in the style of a hard-boiled 1950s American film noir (from Wikipedia)

Holy crap.

Timbuktu

jetpacks was yes said:
Delon isn't in the movie any more, he opted out and they got Johnny Hallyday.

It doesn't sound like a Red Circle remake at all though, when was that film about 'Vengeance'?

Chemo

The Fantastic Mr Fox made the list, wow!

That's pretty much the only one I'm actively looking forward to, although I'm sure I'll see several of these and think some of them are decent enough.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Costanza said:
wow @ this cast. when does it come out?

casts this big and stacked have started drawing suspicion from me. each time i see one like it, it's usually less impressive when i see it up on screen, producing a film with lots of cameos and instances where great actors are wasted and just there to be there. i've started to lean toward smaller casts with fewer stars that gives actors a chance to shine.

this could be great. but just saw an opportunity to bring up that issue and thought i'd snag it.

Boogie9IGN

DanielPlainview said:
I think this looks awesome:

The Box (Nov 6th)

thebox.jpg

Synopsis: A small wooden box arrives on the doorstep of a married couple, who open it and become instantly wealthy. Little do they realize that opening the box also kills someone they do not know.

That plot sounds cool, directed by Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko) plus Arcade Fire doing the entire score! It was supposed to come out this spring but got delayed til Nov. :( Maybe that is good news Oscar wise.

We saw the twilight zone episode of this in philosphy class, god that was weird

Timbuktu said:
It doesn't sound like a Red Circle remake at all though, when was that film about 'Vengeance'?

It's all very confusing. First there were reports that To had begun on the Red Circle remake back in June with Liam Neeson, but I haven't heard anything about it since. His next movie is Death of a Hostage starring the always-awesome Lau Ching-Wan, and after that Vengeance is coming out. To has worked on multiple movies at once though, so it's possible that he started work on Red Circle last summer. Remember that Sparrow was an on-and-off production for what, three years or something like that?

I do know that Vengeance was supposed to be the Delon vehicle, and instead of dropping the movie once Delon opted out they found another French actor to work with since they loved the script so much.

Monroeski said:
Snakes on a Plane didn't have ANYTHING that people wanted except a funny name and internet hype that died out months before the movie actually came out.
You didn't see it at a theatre did you?

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

BTW hiredhand, your list is a lot better than the pile of dung in the OP.

bengraven

Captain N said:

That. Is. Beautiful.

hiredhand said:

Alejandro Amenábar: Agora
- starring Rachel Weisz
- A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria.

Lars von Trier: Antichrist
- starring Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg
- A couple mourning the loss of their child retreat to a cabin in the woods, where they soon encounter strange, terrifying occurrences.

Jim Jarmusch: The Limits of Control
- Starring Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, John Hurt, Gael García Bernal, Paz de la Huerta, Hiam Abbass, Youki Kudoh and Isaach De Bankolé
- The story of a mysterious loner, a stranger in the process of completing a criminal job.

Sylvain Chomet: The Illusionist
- Details the story of a dying breed of stage entertainer whose thunder is being stolen by emerging rock stars...
- The film is be based on an unproduced script by Jacques Tati.
- Second animated feature film by Sylvain Chomet, the director of The Triplets of Belleville.

Terence Malick: The Tree of Life
- The story centers around a family with three boys in the 1950s. The eldest son witnesses the loss of innocence. IMDb says that the genre is Action/Adventure/Drama/Fantasy/Sci-Fi.
- Apparently already in post-production.
- Starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt.

Werner Herzog: Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
- Really weird choice for Herzog to direct this. It has a good cast though.
- Nicolas Cage, Eva Mendes, Val Kilmer, Jennifer Coolidge and Brad Dourif.

Glad we have a GAFFer with fantastic taste. The ones I've listed above are on my short list of movies I can't wait for.

hiredhand

Some more interesting films for 2009:

Joel and Ethan Coen: A Serious Man
- A black comedy set in 1967 and centered on on Larry Gopnik (Stuhlbarg), a Midwestern professor who watches his life unravel when his wife prepares to leave him because his inept brother (Kind) won't move out of the house.
- In post-production.
- Starring Adam Arkin and Richard Kind.

Joel and Ethan Coen: Hail Caesar
- A 1920's theater troupe stages a production of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar".
- In Pre-production.

IMDb also lists a THIRD movie for Coens for 2009 called Suburbicon. I don't think they can manage to release three movies within a year.

Jonathan Demme: Neil Young Trunk Show
- Another Neil Young concert film by Demme (not that I'm complaining).

Michael Cimino: Man's Fate
- Cimino's first film since The Sunchaser (1996).
- Set in 1923 Shanghai, China during the Communist revolution, this is the story of the deep emotional bonds that develop between several Europeans.

Francis Ford Coppola: Tetro
- Follows the rivalries of an artistic Italian immigrant family.
- Starring Vincent Gallo and Maribel Verdú.

Nikhil Advani: Chandni Chowk to China
- An action-comedy about a simple cook from Chandni Chowk mistaken for the reincarnation of an ancient peasant warrior Liu Shengh by residents of an oppressed Chinese village.
- Starring some Indian actors and Gordon Liu.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet: Micmacs à tire-larigot
- A satiric comedy set in the world of illegal gun trade (didn't they make this film already).

Julie Taymor: The Tempest
- Starring Russell Brand(!?!?), Helen Mirren, Djimon Hounsou, Alan Cumming, Alfred Molina, Chris Cooper and David Strathairn.
- In Julie Taymor's version of Shakespeare's The Tempest, the gender of Prospero has been switched to Prospera.

Walter Salles: On the Road
- A young man sets out to travel the roads and railways of America.
- Based on Jack Kerouac's classic novel.

Derek Yee: Shinjuku Incident
- Starring Jackie Chan and Ken Watanabe.
- It has been stated in many press reports that the genre of the film will be closer to drama than Chan's trademark action.

Paul Verhoeven: Azazel
- In 1876 a young investigator with the Moscow police sets out to solve the apparent suicide of a university student, but soon lands in the middle of a far-reaching international conspiracy.
- Starring Milla Jovovich and Dan Stevens.

Sidney Lumet: Getting Out
- A prison inmate desperate to regain his freedom becomes entangled in psychological games with his psychiatrist and the woman he desires.

Alejandro González Iñárritu: Biutiful
- Starring Javier Bardem.
- A man involved in illegal dealing is confronted by his childhood friend, who is now a policeman.
- Release Date: 11 December 2009 (USA)

Michael Haneke: Das Weiße Band
- Strange events happen at a rural school in the north of Germany during the year 1913, which seem to be ritual punishment. Does this affect the school system, and how does the school have an influence on fascism?

Woody Allen: Whatever Works
- Starring Larry David, Patricia Clarkson and Evan Rachel Wood.
- The movie was filmed in New York City, marking Allen's return to that city after a four-film sojourn to Europe.

traveler

Not Wario
I've said it previously, but Up! is far and away my most anticipated film of the year. Don't forget Ponyo, though, for all of us who have yet to receive it in our theaters.

On a different note, after looking through your list, it looks like 2009 will be the year 3D either finally proves itself more than a gimmick or gets shelved permanently. My Bloody Valetine, Up, Toy Story 3D, Avatar - plus all the other ones sure to get the IMAX 3D treatment for at least some parts (the new Zemeckis 3D film and HP)- they're all looking to capitalize on it. Personally, I've never found 3D to really be anything more than a novelty at best and a distraction the majority of the time, but we'll see.

Top 2 films you missed:

2) The Expendables - Sly Stallone making badass team of action stars in a movie. Anything else you need to know?

1) Powder Blue. Jessica Biel. As a stripper. Nude. The end.

traveler said:
I've said it previously, but Up! is far and away my most anticipated film of the year. Don't forget Ponyo, though, for all of us who have yet to receive it in our theaters.

On a different note, after looking through your list, it looks like 2009 will be the year 3D either finally proves itself more than a gimmick or gets shelved permanently. My Bloody Valetine, Up, Toy Story 3D, Avatar - plus all the other ones sure to get the IMAX 3D treatment for at least some parts (the new Zemeckis 3D film and HP)- they're all looking to capitalize on it. Personally, I've never found 3D to really be anything more than a novelty at best and a distraction the majority of the time, but we'll see.

Up!
would definitely be my fourth most anticipated. Also James Cameron's Avatar, I just need to see more about it.

womp

FoneBone said:
Script is awful IMO.

As already mentioned...Also unoriginal...

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button,_Button_(The_Twilight_Zone)
[/URL]

Typical hollywood BS. As soon as I saw the synopsis I remembered that episode from the 80's version of Twilight Zone.

For added hilarity the image from the episode used on Wikipedia almost matches the movie shot.

Button%2CButton.jpg

BTW, I'm impressed that the Sleestak in Land of the Lost look dead on like the creepy ass originals. Shame Will Farrell is in it.

hiredhand said:
Some more interesting films for 2009:

Joel and Ethan Coen: A Serious Man
- A black comedy set in 1967 and centered on on Larry Gopnik (Stuhlbarg), a Midwestern professor who watches his life unravel when his wife prepares to leave him because his inept brother (Kind) won't move out of the house.
- In post-production.
- Starring Adam Arkin and Richard Kind.

Joel and Ethan Coen: Hail Caesar
- A 1920's theater troupe stages a production of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar".
- In Pre-production.

IMDb also lists a THIRD movie for Coens for 2009 called Suburbicon. I don't think they can manage to release three movies within a year.

Jonathan Demme: Neil Young Trunk Show
- Another Neil Young concert film by Demme (not that I'm complaining).

Michael Cimino: Man's Fate
- Cimino's first film since The Sunchaser (1996).
- Set in 1923 Shanghai, China during the Communist revolution, this is the story of the deep emotional bonds that develop between several Europeans.

Francis Ford Coppola: Tetro
- Follows the rivalries of an artistic Italian immigrant family.
- Starring Vincent Gallo and Maribel Verdú.

Nikhil Advani: Chandni Chowk to China
- An action-comedy about a simple cook from Chandni Chowk mistaken for the reincarnation of an ancient peasant warrior Liu Shengh by residents of an oppressed Chinese village.
- Starring some Indian actors and Gordon Liu.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet: Micmacs à tire-larigot
- A satiric comedy set in the world of illegal gun trade (didn't they make this film already).

Julie Taymor: The Tempest
- Starring Russell Brand(!?!?), Helen Mirren, Djimon Hounsou, Alan Cumming, Alfred Molina, Chris Cooper and David Strathairn.
- In Julie Taymor's version of Shakespeare's The Tempest, the gender of Prospero has been switched to Prospera.

Walter Salles: On the Road
- A young man sets out to travel the roads and railways of America.
- Based on Jack Kerouac's classic novel.

Derek Yee: Shinjuku Incident
- Starring Jackie Chan and Ken Watanabe.
- It has been stated in many press reports that the genre of the film will be closer to drama than Chan's trademark action.

Paul Verhoeven: Azazel
- In 1876 a young investigator with the Moscow police sets out to solve the apparent suicide of a university student, but soon lands in the middle of a far-reaching international conspiracy.
- Starring Milla Jovovich and Dan Stevens.

Sidney Lumet: Getting Out
- A prison inmate desperate to regain his freedom becomes entangled in psychological games with his psychiatrist and the woman he desires.

Alejandro González Iñárritu: Biutiful
- Starring Javier Bardem.
- A man involved in illegal dealing is confronted by his childhood friend, who is now a policeman.
- Release Date: 11 December 2009 (USA)

Michael Haneke: Das Weiße Band
- Strange events happen at a rural school in the north of Germany during the year 1913, which seem to be ritual punishment. Does this affect the school system, and how does the school have an influence on fascism?

Woody Allen: Whatever Works
- Starring Larry David, Patricia Clarkson and Evan Rachel Wood.
- The movie was filmed in New York City, marking Allen's return to that city after a four-film sojourn to Europe.

Yeah, all of these look fantastic. I just didn't know enough about them to include them on my list. I'm especially excited for Malik's Tree of Life

JimmyV

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
Fanboys (Feb 6th)

Wow, I thought this movie came out a few years ago, back around Clerks II? Well anyway, the preview looked funny so I'm definitely gonna see it.

Regarding the Coen movie, Suburbicon: the IMDB message boards posit that it might be a Coen screenplay that's going to be directed by George Clooney. That'd be interesting, to have one of their frequently used actors direct one of their screenplays.

Either way, it's currently listed as "In Production" on IMDB, so we'll probably know one way or the other fairly soon.

Reading the wiki for the Coen brothers, Hail Ceaser apparently isn't in script form yet, so I strongly doubt it will be out this year. I want to see their Western movie before that one though so here's hoping that gets made soon.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
These will I see.

My Bloody Valentine 3-D (Jan 16th)
Coraline (Feb 16th)
Watchmen (March 6th)
Bruno (May 15th)
Night at the Museum 2 (May 22nd)
Up (May 29th)
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen (June 26th)
Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince (July 17th)
Toy Story 3-D (Oct 2nd)
Where The Wild Things Are (Oct 16th)
The Box (Nov 6th)
The Lovely Bones (Dec 11th)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
dmshaposv said:
Holy shit...the Coens are doing THREE movies in 09?
Hah, no. Hail Caeser has been on the backburner if not totally shelved for a couple years now. I don't think anything has been heard about Suburbicon since early '08 when Clooney boshed rumors that he'd be directing it instead. Don't believe what IMDB says about upcoming not-yet-in-production films. The Coens develop so many scripts and ideas that get mentioned that never end up anywhere near the screen.

It's conceivable that they'd start and finish another film for the year, but I don't think there's any evidence that it'll happen, let alone with what second project.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kusagari said:
Where is 9?
And Ponyo on a Cliff?

I mean, My Bloody Valentine 3D, Monsters vs. Aliens, Crank 2, and fucking Final Destination 4 are on the list, but these aren't? Seriously?

MetatronM said:
And Ponyo on a Cliff?

I mean, My Bloody Valentine 3D, Monsters vs. Aliens, Crank 2, and fucking Final Destination 4 are on the list, but these aren't? Seriously?

Right now, with the information I know I want to see those more than Ponyo on a Cliff. I'm sure that when I learn more abut Ponyo on a Cliff I will have more of a desire to see it.

This is going to be an awesome year for movies.

Brothers Bloom is the next movie from the writer/director of Brick and it stars Adrien Brody. It looks like it'll be good.

White Man

Dr. Strangelove said:
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I haven't heard anything about this movie actually shooting. Plus, even if it did, there's the Marilyn Manson factor. And the Asia Argento factor. And the Nick Nolte factor. And the Udo Kier factor. Let's just say the casting has enough weak links that this movie could be considered a chain made out of wet noodles. The good news is that we will likely see one or all of these people completely naked, so we can see how thorough Manson is with his pancake makeup.

But nah, now that Jodorosky has gotten David Lynch to pay for the flick, I'd imagine he's somewhere in Europe doing card tricks rather than actually doing anything movie related.

polyh3dron said:
This is going to be an awesome year for movies.

Brothers Bloom is the next movie from the writer/director of Brick and it stars Adrien Brody. It looks like it'll be good.

Yeah I can not wait for The Brothers Bloom. I missed it at the Toronto International Film Festival then when it got pushed back from a winter release at the last minute I was upset. I loved Brick.

hiredhand said:
BTW, they do make movies outside Hollywood. Few films I'm looking forward to in 2009 (all these movies are listed in IMDb as 2009 releases)

broken.jpg

Teaser Trailer for Pedro Almodovar’s Broken Embraces: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fXiuFG0soU

Looks great. Too bad it's not coming out unil Nov 6th in the US despite a March 18th Spanish release. Hopefully I can catch it at TIFF.

Blader

hiredhand said:

This, unfortunately, doesn't come out until next year.

Not sure if people want to see new threads for every single trailer that comes out. I'll just use this thread for the smaller movies.

\

Adventureland Red Band Trailer

Plot:
A comedy set in the summer of 1987 and centered around a recent college grad (Eisenberg) who takes a nowhere job at his local amusement park, only to find it’s the perfect course to get him prepared for the real world.

The film got pretty positive reviews at Sundance. It will also be at the South by Southwest Film Festival in March before hitting theaters in wide release on March 27, 2009.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
^ There's an amusement park near me called Adventureland, I thought that was funny when I saw the preview.

only movie I'm really interested in seeing is Avatar - Cameron made my favorite movie of all time (T2), and I love how the movie sounds like it has such meticulous detail in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom