• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Wii U games have been ported to Switch, 67% of Wii U games rated 85+ on MC. RIP.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Best reason to own a Wii U at this point is because it's a nice little emulation monster. There's no reason and there hasn't been any practical reason to own one in years to begin with. Putting all the great titles on to the Switch doesn't change that. It's not like you are helping developers or Nintendo at this point by buying Wii U titles.

But it's a great machine to hack and play all your Wii U, Wii, Gamecube, N64, PSX, SNES, Genesis, NES, Master System games on.

Astral Dog

I don't think Nintendo loses sleep over those 'lost' games the Switch was always designed to carry the Wii U library on its back i think Iwata himself said so

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Cause For the idiots like me that got a WiiU and their must have games Nintendo is releasing "hd editions" of all the games they already have on switch instead of new games...AND FOR FULL PRICE.

No new mario kart since 2014. And if you want to play MK8 online on switch its still at full price. It's insulting.

I new games not the ones I already have.

Exactly why I sold my Switch soon after launch

Ngl, kinda want a Pro when it drops 🤔

fart town usa

Gold Member
WiiU was a failure for a reason.
Yea but it still has an amazing software library. The first party output on the Wii U was the best we've seen from Nintendo since the N64. Actually, I would say Wii U was better considering a lot of the 1st party N64 games can be bought off the Wii U eShop.

Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, GCN, Wii U. All failures in terms of console sales but fantastic game libraries.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Commiserating the WiiU? Are we seriously doing this, after all the shit thrown at the thing when it was actually on the market?

I’d wager Nintendo could hardly care less about the WiiU’s corpse, busy as they’ve been counting the money they made porting the WiiU’s game to a console people actually want to buy.

fart town usa

Gold Member
What are some notable games "only on Wii U" that remain?
Like someone else mentioned, Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I would also say Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD. Star Fox Zero but everyone hates that game. Paper Mario Color Splash, people hate that game too but it's actually really good AFAIC. Tekken Tag Tournament 2, only included it cause of the Wii U exclusive modes/costumes. Fantastic game btw.

Devil's Third if we're looking at games that are still exclusive. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

I'm sure there's more but can't think of anything else at the moment.

edit-

As someone mentioned below, Yoshi's Woolly World. Fantastic co-op platformer, super charming with a great OST.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
HarshMetallicAmericanblackvulture-size_restricted.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is the Wii-U bad or is the Switch actually bad? For such a smashing success system the Switch sure does rely on re-releases to get by. 👀
In terms of capabilities, especially if you softmod it, the Wii U runs circles around the Switch, even a vanilla Wii U; eShop, Wii U library, Wii library.

The Wii U library, especially 1st party titles, is amazing. Top tier and it's not even a debate. People who act like the Wii U is trash but praise the Switch are delusional, or maybe just aren't aware that most of the games they love were on the Wii U first?

Either way, the Wii U is dead but there are a handful of us who still recognize the system for being the gem that it is. I'm OK with that.

Yea but it still has an amazing software library. The first party output on the Wii U was the best we've seen from Nintendo since the N64. Actually, I would say Wii U was better considering a lot of the 1st party N64 games can be bought off the Wii U eShop.

Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, GCN, Wii U. All failures in terms of console sales but fantastic game libraries.

Wii U‘s Library isnt better than Switch, Wii, Gamecube, SNES, NES, N64, DS, Gameboy, .. any other Nintendo console. Its nonsense, youre just romanticizing a failure.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Nice... in time to start the remastereds 4k for the switch pro ... and them after that... the remakes for the switch 2 ... it really must be easy working for nintendo ...

blacktout

Missing Yoshi Woolly World, which would be an instant buy for me!

Absolutely. I enjoyed Crafted World, but the music didn't have any of the charm of the early Yoshi games, and I've heard Woolly World is much better in that regard. Plus, it's been a few years since Crafted World released, so there's no reason to worry about cannibalizing that game's sales.

Probably my second most wanted remaining Wii U port, after Xenoblade X (obviously).

Davey Cakes

I enjoyed my time with the Wii U and it had plenty of quality titles, new AND legacy. The thing only sold ~12 million. The games deserve another chance on an actual phenomenon console.

Last edited:

alf717

I actually just bought a second Wii U to do homebrew with two weeks ago. Its pretty easy to do as well. I was disappointed with the Wii U but I still think it has value. It is a part of Nintendo history for better or for worst and will still hold value for being unique.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Are you fucking serious? The only thing being a WiiU owner did to me was cause my not to buy a switch until Odyssey was announced to launch in a couple of months and stupidly playing Zelda on the U. I got to play a few good games from 2012 - 2017 on it. Waiting for ports would be silly. Why would I be pissed that a company tried to recover from some of their failure by porting? And the port of 3D world brought us an excellent Mario experience. If switch updates with BC is their plan going forward, porting old games to it is a way to keep them playable and accessible for a long time.

It sold under 15 million units. That’s a pathetic number. I see no reason to not charge full price for a game that a sliver of people played.
$50 Dreamcast ports would have been a thing with you.

No. I had fun with the system and it had (and has) some great games - but objectively it was a commercial failure. Nintendo are a company, and at some point they had to cut their losses and admit they had a bomb on their hands. I can't get upset about Nintendo porting the games to the much more successful Switch - it gives more people a chance to play them. If I have any regrets, it's that the machine didn't stay on the market for long enough to really explore the potential of the gamepad.

Gamepad was mandated early on so I don't know about that.

I own both, I don't care that the Switch is getting Wii U ports. I do however care that the Switch gets no fucking new games. It's port after port, how is it that Nintendo was able to put out so many great new games for the Wii U, but on the switch they struggle to put out a single new game a year?
I think they'll be in trouble for Switch 2 honestly. They have no drought cover and lost the few western devs they got to downport games after the first couple years.

F31 Leopard

I still play XCX and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. People still play MH3U online. The only reason why I still have my Wii U is these 2 games and it's Wii backwards compatible. I still play Rhythm Heaven and other Wii games too.

TheGrat1

V9y3EcE.gif

Uhhh, the Wii U is discontinued. Correct me if I am wrong but they shipped every unit they manufactured, no? What incentive do they have to safeguard the Wii U's library from the Switch?
"the Wii U loses yet another reason to own one" Everyone who wanted one either has or had one. The fact of the matter is there was never enough reason to own one before the Switch existed, the sales reflect that. Did people lose reason to own the N64 when Mario 64 got ported? What is this post?
and it's only been 5 years since it was discontinued, and 3 since most games were taken out the majority of stores.
Only 5 years??? Would people have cared if PlayStation games started coming to the PS3 in 2011? Oh, wait, they did and it was non-story. 5 years post-discontinuation console is a dead as it gets. If you are still assessing your Wii U library based on what exclusives it has then you must be a time-traveler.
The wii u be steppin but the switch be swinging

An absolute classic!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

e&e

Banned
....you're angry that a last gen system is getting phased out, and the new gen system is getting access to that library?

Is this like, a bit?
Kind of a weird thing to be bothered about, wait till they see what runs on the PS5 and Series S… 🤔

V9y3EcE.gif

Uhhh, the Wii U is discontinued. Correct me if I am wrong but they shipped every unit they manufactured, no? What incentive do they have to safeguard the Wii U's library from the Switch?
"the Wii U loses yet another reason to own one" Everyone who wanted one either has or had one. The fact of the matter is there was never enough reason to own one before the Switch existed, the sales reflect that. Did people lose reason to own the N64 when Mario 64 got ported? What is this post?

Only 5 years??? Would people have cared if PlayStation games started coming to the PS3 in 2011? Oh, wait, they did and it was non-story. 5 years post-discontinuation console is a dead as it gets. If you are still assessing your Wii U library based on what exclusives it has then you must be a time-traveler.

An absolute classic!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The PS3 wasn't receiving bucket loads of ports from the PS2, only a few games got remastered. Switch is receiving ports, sometimes with differences that slightly matter, of most of the Wii Us high rated library.

Banned
For those who brought a Wii U day 1 or later, are you pissed off? Did you get angry knowing you made a mistake buying a Wii U?

I want to extent this question towards SNES day 1 Buyers, are you pissed that you can now play many of its games on GBA, Wii, Wii U, Switch and the SNES Mini?
all PS3 owners, are you pissed that Uncharted is on PS4?

I am still pissed that you now can play Link's Awakening on a damn Game & Watch! HOW DARE YOU NINTENDO! I bought a GameBoy for that!

Kokoloko85

No1 is buying a Wii U so I dont see the problem here. I loved it and had one
Nintendo is lazy for sure but this isnt an issue

Last edited:

Go319

I've been playing my WiiU so much lately.
Playing through a few DS/GBA classics I missed at the time via Virtual Console.
Replaying allot of my Wii games, esp light gun games.
Dr Luigi (c'mon nintendo where is Dr Mario for Switch??)
Not to mention using Nintendont to play all my NGC favorites, using a wavebird = Heaven!
So yeah its filling allot of gaps the Switch just does not and im still buying stuff on VC. Gotta say recharging funds is a PIA these days.

theclaw135

Banned
Why should they care? A warehouse of unsold Wii U games and systems could be unearthed, Nintendo wouldn't receive a measly cent of the sales of auctioning it off.

Ribi

I mean that's what Nintendo does... They don't have massive amounts of new titles just just have a handful and just. Release crap for full price hoping thier sheep buy it which they will because there's nothing else to play once you beat zelda

nush

Gold Member
As a Wii U owner I got my worth out of that console and have a great library of games. Nintendo did throw good support behind it even when the writing was on the wall. Proof that these games are getting ported and they can charge more for them is proof of that. It's still got a better virtual console than the Switch, maybe Nintendo could try porting that!

LRKD

Wii U‘s Library isnt better than Switch, Wii, Gamecube, SNES, NES, N64, DS, Gameboy, .. any other Nintendo console. Its nonsense, youre just romanticizing a failure.
I don't think it's nonsense in the slightest. Eliminating ports/backwards compatibility from Wii U's library, it still has a really nice catalogue that stands on its own. Eliminating those from the Switch, it's a catalogue looks really bad in comparison. Especially when we consider which console is considered successful, and which one is considered a failure.

I agree that op is a bit ridiculous for thinking Nintendo has some sort of reason or obligation for making sure Wii U owners keep the perceived value of the exclusive games. I think Nintendo porting the games to new consoles is good. I also think that they price them poorly, and have terrible output as far as new games go though. It would've just been much better had they just made it so the dock had a disc drive with backwards compatibility lol.

I disagree, that the Wii U never had a reason to own, there were plenty of reasons to get one. Just to name a few it had Zelda WW HD, Zelda TP HD, Mario 3D world, NSMB U, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, DKC TP, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8. More then those as well, it had some really great exclusive games. The console was absolutely worth owning, it just had such a bad rap nobody gave it a chance. A lot of the bad rap was even well deserved, but that didn't make the console not worth owning imo.

Why should they care? A warehouse of unsold Wii U games and systems could be unearthed, Nintendo wouldn't receive a measly cent of the sales of auctioning it off.
I wouldn't be so sure about that... https://www.ebay.com/itm/124696226265?hash=item1d087969d9:g:1e4AAOSwxAtghR6r

Banned
Gotta go for that strawman.

I mean, it's not that different. many games that were once exclusive were eventually ported to a system just 1 gen later... this is not new.
Ocarina of Time came out on GameCube, Link's Awakening came out on GBC, Halo 3+ODST+Reach+4 came out on Xbox One... this happens all the time. why would anyone care?

I loved and still adore my Wii U. Who cares if things are ported to another device? It doesn't devalue the original device on which the content appeared as far as I'm concerned.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I enjoyed the wiiu when I bought it and played it. The only game I have purchased twice is Mario Kart 8. I think that it is good that developers have been able to recoup investment, and give a bigger audience to some great games.

With Fatal Frame coming to Switch (and others) the Wii U loses yet another reason to own one. But now we are at 50, yes, 50 Wii U ports to Switch, and I don't think that includes indies so it's likely higher, but for major releases the Wii U has lost 67% apparently of it's library scored above 85 on Metacritic.

This is worse than the Dreamcast, Nintendo had effectively shot the Wii U and is stomping on its corpse for fun.

At this point there's nearly no reason to own a Wii U and Nintendo has pushed it out of the conversation so much, it's already for many people a forgotten system, and it's only been 5 years since it was discontinued, and 3 since most games were taken out the majority of stores.

For those who brought a Wii U day 1 or later, are you pissed off? Did you get angry knowing you made a mistake buying a Wii U?
Im still happy with mine. Starfox. Xenoblade X. Played these years ago. Have a lot of VC games too.

Top Bottom