• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 hours of Bubsy 3D. FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES HOURS.

I remember first playing this game in a museum that featured an exhibit on video games.

while all the lame ass kids were playing virtual soccer on a green screen, I was rocking Bubsy 3D and Dragon's Lair, then I reazlied I was stupid and played Gyruss the rest of the trip.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
How have you guys not heard of this guy before?

Its really quite sad. Dude has Autism and some other disorders that severely limit his sociability, and he's resorted to games as his 'release'

duk

Banned
my god, why would someone do this :lol

the guy's voice is just awesome btw, he should do voice overs for anime or something

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I still can't believe that anybody considered this something that could be released with a straight face.

There is one concept present in Bubsy 3D that I actually kind of like, though, provided it's implemented properly. That concept being the idea that the camera moves above Bubsy when he jumps, making it easier to ascertain where you're going to land. I think that an idea like that, assuming that that the camera movement isn't too jarring and still shows an adequate distance in front of you, would help players in making more accurate jumps.

ZeoVGM

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqkjN_M-zw&feature=related

After reaching 128 pixels per frame falling, Sonic suddenly goes up at 128 pixels per frame. This is due to variable overflow. Either an 8-bit or 16-bit variable is used for fractional parts given what I see when doing this. If it weren't for variable overflow, you'd have seemingly unlimited speed. It takes just short of 10 seconds to get to 128 pixels per frame. The screen only scrolls at 16 pixels per frame which is far too slow to keep up with this.

:lol

This dude rules.

Brannon

Iam Canadian said:
I still can't believe that anybody considered this something that could be released with a straight face.

There is one concept present in Bubsy 3D that I actually kind of like, though, provided it's implemented properly. That concept being the idea that the camera moves above Bubsy when he jumps, making it easier to ascertain where you're going to land. I think that an idea like that, assuming that that the camera movement isn't too jarring and still shows an adequate distance in front of you, would help players in making more accurate jumps.

This happens somewhat in Metroid Prime; the camera looks down a bit when you jump.

Also looked at some more videos and he really does have a thing for torturing Tails. His voice is excellent.

How in the hell anyone could play that godawful game for that long is beyond my comprehension. I know Mario 64 was awesome, but this is some of the crap that spewed from it. Terrible copy cat games like this suck super funky nuts.

That is all!

kenta

Has no PEINS
I was about to rail into the guy but reading that he is autistic makes this completely fascinating

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
duk said:
my god, why would someone do this :lol

the guy's voice is just awesome btw, he should do voice overs for anime or something

He DOES sound like Droopy!

droopy.jpg

White Man

I can't believe this dude is unknown here. He is like High Grand King of the Nerdlingers.

Someone post his website and quote some sections about his "mind game" or his crippling fear of mirrors, or about how he doesn't take showers because he thinks water costs like 50 cents a gallon or whatever and showering is not cost effective.

EDIT: He's not autistic, he's just a spaz with fucked up parents that made him all fucked up and weird.

And this is him. He just looks like your average everyday Nintendo fan (sorry for the giant image, but this is the size it is on his web page):

workingonmy2Dgame.jpg

He doesn't even play modern games. IIRC, he stops at the PSX era, and he is not interested in any games that came out after, or something.

Iam Canadian

I think this fellow's comments regarding Bubsy 3D are probably the most positive things I've ever read about Bubsy 3D. He seems to think there's some redeeming gameplay behind the graphics.

Good Lord, though, what on earth did they do to Bubsy's voice? It was annoying in the SNES games, but at least it was appropriate. But in this game...dear GOD.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
kenta said:
I was about to rail into the guy but reading that he is autistic makes this completely fascinating
Look at some of the details he's posted in the descriptions, its way in-depth.

My younger brother has clinically diagnosed Aspergers syndrome (not internet-diagnosed, oh I'm lonely and love being on the internet versus socializing in real life, I must have that!), and when he takes interest in a particular subject, he searches out every last shred of information and remembers every last detail of it. This guy ulillillia goes into that same amount of depth and degree of explanation, but just with games.

White Man said:
I can't believe this dude is unknown here. He is like High Grand King of the Nerdlingers.

Someone post his website and quote some sections about his "mind game" or his crippling fear of mirrors, or about how he doesn't take showers because he thinks water costs like 50 cents a gallon or whatever and showering is not cost effective.

EDIT: He's not autistic, he's just a spaz with fucked up parents that made him all fucked up and weird.

That is crazy! I also thought there was no way this guy was autistic. Nerdlingers, :lol That is funny!

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
White Man said:
http://www.ulillillia.us/mainindex.shtml

I'm pretty sure he's got some form of Autism, though.

(note that there are many, many different forms of Autism, some facets affect different types of communication and different social settings. Its a communicative disorder that is stronger in some people in some ways, and not as strong in others.)

White Man said:

And this is him. He just looks like your average everyday Nintendo fan (sorry for the giant image, but this is the size it is on his web page):

workingonmy2Dgame.jpg

He doesn't even play modern games. IIRC, he stops at the PSX era, and he is not interested in any games that came out after, or something.

OMG, Best Beard EVA!!!!!!!!

I found the video interesting, as I think being able to enjoy "bad" games takes a different mindset entirely.

The graphics would be better if the game had actual texture maps. I'm guessing they thought Virtua Fighter style graphics were passable and acceptable because it looked all cool and 3D and such.

I do agree with the poster that said that the camera angling to show where you are jumping is a great feature.

Brannon

He has a WEBSITE?

*browsing*

I think this moment right here is the perfect time to use a certain phrase without being banned, because it applies so well. That phrase is..

Wow, just wow.

Iam Canadian

White Man said:

He's got a Super Monkey Ball 2 video on his Youtube channel...

Flynn

He's pretty awesome. I'm sure we've had at least one thread about him before.

I love that he's doing YouTube videos now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I remember that guy. Actually I think I learned about him from a thread on here, must have been a good 2 years ago.

Wild stuff...and that is all I'm going to say.

Top Bottom