• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500k Intel World Open to feature SFV and Rocket League in lead in to 2020 Olympics

Nymphae

Banned
Intel and the International Olympic Committee announced today they will be holding the Intel World Open in 2020 alongside the Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan featuring Street Fighter 5 and Rocket League with a prize pool total of $500,000.

Each tournament will receive half of that prize money, so that will be a still staggering $250,000 per game though that will also be split amongst teams from across the globe.

Street Fighter 5 will be made up of teams representing the different countries of the world. Players on the teams will first need to compete in online qualifier events to be named to their country's representatives.

A live qualifier event will then be held in Katowice, Poland to determine which teams will advance to play at the World Open tournament in Tokyo.

Intel chose Street Fighter 5 as one of its main events for the Olympics stage because of the franchise's "clear, rich history" in Japan which in turn sparked the popularization of the genre in the first place.

The Intel World Open finals will be held from July 22–24, 2020 at the Zepp DiverCity center in Tokyo where the actual Olympics events will kick off on the last day.

Further information regarding team structure, rules, the online qualifiers and just how many countries will be represented in the finals will be revealed at a later date.

Source: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...ld-open-alongside-2020-olympics-worth-500000/

Nymphae

Banned
Nobody lol? I'll be watching this for sure, hopefully this gets a lot more eyes on these games. Capcom Twitch is doing a WSO right now and they're talking about which 5 players from each country would go to represent their nation. Could be a really interesting event.

Nymphae

Banned
Street Fighter 5's Intel World Open Olympic championship series will be made up of 21 teams trying to earn their spot at the Tokyo finals

There will be 12 countries pre-selected to form teams for the National Qualifiers with online tournaments determining who makes up the final teams of four players beginning in March 2020. This process is said to last four to eight weeks depending on the country.

Eight additional teams will also be selected through online Regional Qualifiers to determine who will move on to the next and first live stage.

Katowice, Poland will serve as the battleground for the four-day Live Qualifier event in June where the 20 teams will fight to be one of the seven representatives of the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia who will join team Japan at the finals.

The remaining eight teams will compete at the Tokyo Final Event of the Intel World Open from July 22–24 where the winning national team will take home the majority share of the $250,000 prize pool.

12_brack01.jpg

The identity of the 12 pre-selected countries has not been revealed at this time, but will probably feature prominent competitive scenes like the United States, United Kingdom and South Korea to name a few.

Addtitional information regarding the online qualifying and offline tournaments and teams will reportedly be revealed in October.

FMXVII

I couldn't care less about futball (don't hate me, Non-U.S. GAF), but I can kind of be happy for Rocket League and its fans.

But... SF5.

I'd rather watch synchronized dumpster fires.

Last edited:
Top Bottom