• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main post

#42 Tooth and Tail (PC)
q2heFCL.jpg

Tizoc

header.jpg

This is a 2D platformer game where you play as a badass Chicken as she navigates through 108 stages filled with hazards and traps. The main goal is to reach stage's end but there is also the extra objective of saving all chicks that are hidden throughout the stages.

Cluckle dies in 1 hit but she can pick up armor pieces to let her absorb a hit from enemies or hazards before dieing.

Cluckle has a handful of moves-
The traditional platformer jump
The double jump
A sword charge attack which has her dash forward with her sword

The sword attack is useful for crossing horizontal distances.

The game has a good design for much of the stages but i do feel it can be unfair at a few points. Non the less I still recommend it for 2D platformer fans. While it doesn't have much in terms of music, the tracks available are OK and the 2D pixel art is quite nice.

Main post part 2

-------

41. Sakura Spirit - 2 hours
Really boring VN with one meaningless choice near the end and ridiculous "that was just a prologue, buy more our games!" ending. Not worth it even for lewd artworks, you can see them for free in Steam user guides if that's what interest you in this "game".

Tizoc

Original Post

header.jpg

Kinda shocking this came out 7 years ago. 3 of the Spidermen play similar, although 2099 and Ultimate have a power up form of sorts. Noir Spiderman's stages are stealth based and quite good IMO.

Each stage takes around 30 minutes to complete and consist of some platforming and combat sections. The overall combat is simple and I didn't find much that makes stand out.

Visuals wise, while ti can look dated, it has a nice color usage that makes the models and world pop out.

While not the greatest Spiderman game, it is a good one despite its flaws.

header.jpg

The 3rd chapter in the series concludes the main plot established from the first game.
It feels like some stuff got cut out but the overall main plot managed to wrap things up quite well.
The game has a great soundtrack and some lovely visuals, the humor and characters are great too.
All in all it was a good end for this particular adventure for Bwana, Lina and Kito and I recommend these games to anyone who is a fan of PnC games.

original post

Game 33: Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS) - 11 hours

The game's moveset and weaponry feels very good and adequatly expands upon previous Metroid games. Its exploration and puzzle solving are quite addicting, plus the difficulty is mostly just challenging enough. Considering that you encounter many identical mid-bosses, you can also really feel your progression and how you're slowly becoming stronger. What falls flat though is world building. Shortly after finishing a bigger "stage" I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything specific about it. It all becomes a blur very quickly and then drags a little too much by the end. What doesn't help is the lack of distinct music. The lowkey horror approach is welcome on one hand, but ultimately overplayed.

63. Bone: Out From Boneville (2 hours)
Telltale's first two adventure games, their Bone games, are an oddity among their catalog for being straight adaptations of their source material and for being part of an intended series that was never finished. Out From Boneville has its charms, including a decent variety of puzzles, but it suffers from low production values. Normally, I'd count seasons of games as a single entry, but Bone's episodes being original released standalone and the season being unfinished a decade later is having me enter both games onto my list separately.

Full list to date.

Wazzy

Banned
I've started a few other games on top of the ones I've been picking away at and finally finished Suikoden and Suikoden 2. I absolutely love the Suikoden series now and really need to get my hands on the third game at some point. I'm getting very close to finishing a lot of the games I've had in my backlog and have many to start such as more Fire Emblem games and sequels to currently played games. I'll probably hit around 30+ completed games in the next month but there's still plenty more to start.

k4ZW8Ej.jpg

Game #16: Suikoden II - 26 hours and 18 minutes [Complete]

I was immediately excited to start this once finishing Suikoden since I loved the first game and the heavy amount of praise for the sequel was a great sign. The characters and writing is fantastic with a ton of recruitable characters each with their own backstory. I had a blast going through this game and finding all the characters while following the story. The game had it's moments of being a mess with it's slowdowns and glitches but overall it was a great experience.

oLBb0H8.png

Game #17: Steins Gate [In Progess]
I've heard a lot of good things about this visual novel so naturally I've started playing this and even recently purchased it's sequel. I'm enjoying the story and direction it's heading and hope it all comes to an interesting conclusion.

D1AzdPo.jpg

Game #18: Fire Emblem The Blazing Blade [In Progess]

I just recently started this as it's been way too long that I've avoided playing older Fire Emblem games, especially as someone who started with Path Of Radiance. I've completed Lyn's path and just started Eliwoods.

Original Post

CheeseNubs

Neo Member
Main Post

34: Song of the Deep - Date = Sept. 21; Difficulty = Intermediate; Rating = 6/10
OKvolCL.jpg

an ok game. the gameplay is very tedious and you see all the enemies very early on in the game. the only difference is that they get stronger later on and they are different colors than their weaker counter parts.

35: Half-Life: Opposing Force - Date = Sept. 24; Difficulty = Medium; Rating = 7/10
SRdUEKF.jpg

i consider this a must play for any half-life fan (although, i'm sure they've all played this already). you get to go through black mesa as a soldier. i'd honestly love a sequel to this game to see more of your character's story but we haven't even got half life 3 so... yeah.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

8wWyynR.jpg

Xbox One

A replay for one of my top 10(15?) games of all time. Introduced my brother to the loveliness that is Marcus Fenix's soul patch (he's not quite old enough to have played this the first time round). Game is a great blast, especially if you want to pump through the campaign in a day together. I'd forgotten how much they'd overhauled the graphics and the cutscenes. The split screen is a little jarring as they reduced the width to fit in, but this can hardly be held against it.
8/10

OP

28. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - 3 - I enjoyed this game for the most part. A lot about it was really well done. I played with the restored content mod and it helped but god...something about this game really bugged me the whole time. The characters I didn't like as much as the original. The universe felt extremely empty and the ending, even with the restored content was incredibly horrible. Like...it jumped to random points that made no sense, a character literally disappeared and I just...wow. It did hit my Star Wars itch at least.

29. Massive Chalice - 3 - I played thru it, third attempt before I really could and it was an alright game. The concept was really cool and felt a lot like an XCom breeding simulator however I gave no shits about any of my bloodlines or characters which made the game a Netflix and game kind of game. Which was cool and all but I was really hoping for something more from it.

30. Day of the Tentacle - 4 - This was my first game of the genre. I don't know how but I absolutely missed out on the entire genre but whelp. I did. I played the remastered version which helped but I found the writing and the wit super engaging. Some of the puzzles were hard because I had no idea how these genres really worked but trying shit out and figuring things out was refreshing. Absolutely no hand holding and that was welcomed in a short simple title.

septicore

OP

Game 26: Rez Infinite (PC) 25/08/17 - 29/08/17 2.7 Hours
Heard great stuff about this and finally got a chance to experience. It is rather short IMO but there's a lot of replayability to unlock different modes and reach high scores but none of those really interest me as I have enough in my backlog. I can see why this game was praised so much as it felt like an experience more so than a game IMO.

Game 27: GALAK-Z (PC) 30/08/17 - 04/09/17 8 Hours
This game reminds me of Macross from the late 80s and early 90s. Fun but hard game but sadly the developers didn't place an ending to the game, was hoping for a conclusion to the game.

Game 28: Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) 09/09/17 - 10/09/17 6 Hours
The remake of the first Metroid game from NES days. I wanted to play this before the remake of Metroid II comes out because I've never played any games in the Metroid franchise. I've always been a fan of the Metroidvania genre and I needed to see where it all began. Totally enjoyed it and now I look forward to the remake of Metroid II to be released on the 3DS.

Game 29: Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 01 (PC) 13/09/17 2.4 Hours
Life is Strange was such a great game that came out last year and now this is the prequel to that great game. They changed up the gameplay a little and it was great to see old and new faces and I look forward to the next episode.

Game 30: Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS) 16/09/17 - 25/09/17 14.5 Hours
An amazing game and I enjoyed every bit of it to 100% completion. I believe there are two more 2D main Metroid games I need to play, hope to find time to play them soon.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
2017, Part 2 (Part 1 here)

Game 31 - Assassin's Creed Revelations - Playstation 4 - Completed Sept. 25th, 2017
I blazed through this game in about a week's time, but I had a blast with it. I loved the continuation of the story even though it was pretty light on the modern day details (which I guess is a thing that's just part of the franchise now). I especially loved the end of the game, how Ezio spoke to Desmond and how the ancient people spoke to Desmond through the Animus. I even completed a few of the first person puzzle sections, and did a few rounds with the tower defense game. My only complaint is that maybe this game didn't know which genre to pick and went a bit all over the place. However, I stuck to the story and "traditional" Assassin's Creed gameplay and had a great time with it. I'm really looking forward to Origins next month!

Game 32 - Rogue Legacy - Playstation Vita - Completed Sept. 28th, 2017
I've been (re)playing through Rogue Legacy on my Vita during my lunch breaks and such at work after finishing Adventures of Mana. I think I last seriously played the game shortly after it first released in 2013 and got voted as SteamGAF's game of the year. I had previously played on the PC, using an Xbox 360 controller. I found the Vita's D-pad to be MUCH better and much more precise which benefits this game immensely. I beat the game this time in about half of the time it took me last time, using about half as many lives (115 or so, which I thought was pretty good). I still love almost everything about this game including it's weird sense of humor ("I found some chicken hidden in a chandelier - I swear this castle makes me think I'm going insane"). I'm glad I revisited this!

Game 33 - Super Mario World - Retro Achievements PC - Completed Sept. 29th, 2017
I knew I wasn't going to get my SNES Classic in time to really participate in the thread for Super Mario World, so I decided to fire up the game on Retro Achievement's emulator. This game is an absolute treat to play (as always) and I had a good time with it. Here is more I wrote about it in the Club thread.

Game 34 - Actraiser - Super Nintendo Classic - Completed Oct. 7th, 2017
With the release of hacks for the SNES Classic, I knew the first game I would add to the system and beat right away was Actraiser. I play this game every couple of years but it never gets old. I absolutely love this game and it's easily in my top 5 SNES games, possibly in my top 5 games of all time. Strangely, I don't think I ever played the sequel. Maybe I should.

Game 35 - Golf Story - Nintendo Switch - Completed Oct. 8th, 2017
Fuck this game to tears. The difficulty spikes make this game an absolute trainwreck - all the way up to the end of the game. The game had some interesting sub-plot lines and character development, but the actual golf part of the game was absolutely the worst game I've played in a long time. Really regretting my purchase, even though I spent 15 hours beating the game - even at that sweet $1 per hour spot - it's hard to recommend this game to anyone unless maybe they like cutting themselves or inflicting self-harm.

Game 36 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Playstation 4 - Completed Oct. 21st, 2017
I've played this game before when it released on PC, but I thought I'd give it another go on the Playstation considering it had Pro enhancements and the price was alright at just over $20. I love almost everything about this game - from it's equipment system to level progression just about everything feels really right. I tried a few different strategies this time around and I think I came up with a good character / pawn build. I completed the game at level 50. At some point I'll start again and try to do the Bitterblack Isle quests which I've never succeeded at.

Game 37 - The Wolf Among Us - Playstation Vita - Completed Oct. 27th, 2017
I absolutely love this game and the atmosphere and environment that it creates. Sadly, the Playstation Vita port was a little... rough. Most of the time I think it was running at around 10-15fps, which made the "action" sequences (aka everything except the choose your own adventure storyline) pretty difficult to manage. Either way, I still had a good time with it as it's been a few years since I played it (on release) and I thought I might give it another round before season 2 next year.

Game 38 - Until Dawn - Playstation 4 - Completed Oct. 28th, 2017
My wife and I played through this leading up to Halloween - we finished it in three separate sessions all which took place late at night when everything was dark. I had an absolute blast with it, even though this was my second time through the game and let my wife make all of the decisions for the characters. We unlocked a few extra achievements, and she was able to get two of the teenagers out alive (previously I had only saved Emily). This game is really great for Halloween and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to get a bit spooked.

Game 39 - 12 Labours of Hercules V: Kids of Hellas - PC Steam - Completed Nov. 4th, 2017
Another Hercules game - not much to say here except that I still enjoyed it immensely even though the formula is starting to wear itself a bit thin. I believe there is only one more game in the series so I'll probably wait a few months to try and tackle it. I unlocked every achievement except the "beat the developers record 10 times" and "earn every other achievement" ones - which I did for one of these (2 I think) and it was a total slog so I'm not going to bother. Overall, still pretty great and well worth the $0.50 I paid for it.

Game 40 - Telltale Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - Playstation 4 - Completed Nov 9th, 2017
This game got off to a pretty rocky start - releasing their first episode on the heels of the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 movie and coming up REALLY short in comparison to that. However, as the episodes went on the characters fell into their roles really well and it was cool to look at an expansion of the GotG universe even if it did diverge from the movie's plot lines somewhat. By the end of the last episode I was loving it and wished there were more. Hopefully Telltale follows this up with more adventures of Star-Lord and crew.

Game 41 - Hidden Agenda - Playstation 4 - Completed Nov 11th, 2017
I had a group of 5 family members over to play through Hidden Agenda. I'm a huge fan of Until Dawn so I was curious to see how the formula played out with just the decision making. The game was pretty cool and the graphics were really great. Unfortunately, we got the "bad" ending which left a lot to be desired. We'll probably play through it again in a couple of weeks to see if we can get somewhere different. While not as deep or rewarding as Until Dawn, it was a lot of fun to play with everyone gathered around.

Game 42 - Rock Band 4: Rivals - Playstation 4 - Completed Nov 17th, 2017
I picked up the Rock Band Rivals expansion during a sale on PSN, and I'm glad that I did. I have about 200 Rock Band songs in my PS4 library now, and this was a fun and unique new way to experience them. I played the "Career Mode" and did the Rockudrama sets which were entertaining and a lot of fun. Sometimes the humor was pretty hit and miss, but it was interesting none-the-less. I tried to theme my songs around the venues for added realism - playing songs like "The Power of Love" during the battle of the bands, and Semisonic's "Closing Time" as my final farewell tour ballad. Overall I had a lot of fun with this expansion and it's various perks, even though I didn't ever play online.

Game 43 - Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - Playstation VR - Completed Nov 29th, 2017
This is the first game that I've played to completion using PSVR, and I had an absolute blast with it. Although I'm sure it'll be one of those games that, years later, will seem kinda silly and primitive but I actually enjoyed it a lot. I bought the Skyrim VR bundle on Black Friday, but I quickly realized that I would have to ease into modern VR a little more before jumping into Skyrim. I've been on a bit of a Supermassive kick anyway after having recently beat Until Dawn and Hidden Agenda, so I thought I'd give this game a try and I'm glad I did. I only unlocked about 47% of the achievements but I might go back at some point and play on Psychotic mode or something and see how far I get.

Game 44 - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PC Steam - Completed Dec 3rd, 2017
I started playing Final Fantasy XIV earlier this year with my son. We took a few months off when he started back to school, but now that things have mellowed out a bit we've gotten back into it. My Steam account shows 85 hours on record, and that sounds about right although might be slightly off because some of that time was spent in the launcher downloading updates. Really impressed with the game overall - and we finally got our primary job classes to level 50 and beat the A Realm Reborn content and watched the credits roll. I'll definitely be keeping up with this and stay subscribed for a while - we still have the Heavensward and Stormblood campaigns to move through as well as a plethora of other side content to mop up.

Game 45 - 8-Bit Adventures: Shadowgate - Playstation 4 - Completed Dec 9th, 2017
I've probably played through Shadowgate at least a hundred times in my life - but it was still fun to play through yet again and this time to earn PSN trophies while doing so! This is easily one of my top 10 NES games of all time. I enjoyed all of the extra filters that the game provided (I personally used the CRT filter while playing, which was pretty decent) and the low price of $8 for all three games had me sold. I'll definitely be playing Deja Vu and The Uninvited soon!

Game 46 - Pokemon Go - Android - Completed Dec 9th, 2017
I've been playing Pokemon Go off and on all year, and I figured a good time to consider it "beat" this year is for the release of the Gen 3 Pokemon. I filled most of my pokedex with the Gen 2 pokemons and probably spent a total of 30-40 hours playing the game this year. Although there isn't a definitive "end" of this game, it's still something I had fun with all year and would consider it "beat" for 2017.

Game 47 - Assassin's Creed Origins - PlayStation 4 - Completed Dec 12th, 2017
I really didn't like this game as much as I thought I would - and it definitely wasn't as good as the Assassin's Creed games I played earlier this year that were part of the Ezio trilogy. The graphics and voice acting and open-world gameplay were all top notch. The combat was pretty alright once I got the hang of it, but the game felt like it was stretched far too thin in actual content. I enjoyed the first two hours and the last two hours as a more focused experience than anything else in the game. The game suffered the same fate as Oblivion did with it's scaling enemies - at no point did I feel like I was significantly more powerful than I was supposed to be. I think this is mostly due to the fact that Ubi wants to sell people shortcuts for real cash, which is a shame. I still liked the game enough to finish it (about 45 hours) but not really enough to recommend it to fans of the series.

Game 48 - 8-Bit Adventures: Deja Vu - Playstation 4 - Completed Dec 23rd, 2017
I used to love this game to pieces, and I probably played it a million times when I was younger. I think I might have beaten the game once or twice - I almost always got stuck somewhere or couldn't figure out what to do. So I was surprised to find out just how much about this game I had remembered. I will admit that I had to look up a guide in order to progress at the end of the game, but I had gotten through most of it on my own. There is a lot of hidden subtext in this game that I obviously missed as a kid, so it was interesting to play this as an adult and understand what happened exactly. I also got all the trophies for this game, so it's on to The Uninvited!

Game 49 - Stories Untold - PC Steam - Completed Dec 23rd, 2017
This game was really trippy! While I get the overall theme that they were going for here, I feel like this game kinda sorta was pretty hit and miss. I enjoyed the game (I had to use a guide in a few spots!) and it was a fun throwback to the old text adventure games but it suffered from the same issues as those games did ("I did not understand that" was common but playfully adhered to) which made the game somewhat frustrating. An interesting experience, but it kinda left me wanting more.

Game 50 - Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Playstation 4 -Completed Dec 27th, 2017
This game was much more emotionally charged than the original Life is Strange - and I loved that about it. Even though the game didn't have the first one's signature time travel aspects that made it so great, this game definitely had a lot going for it. I loved Chloe in the first game so it was good to see more of her back-story with Rachael and to find out what exactly happened. The montage at the end was touching, and the spoiler / teaser for the original Life is Strange was enough to make me want to play it again. Excellent game.

Game 51 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas - Playstation 4 - Completed Dec 29th, 2017
I picked this game up on the PSN sale on a whim, having beat it on Steam back in 2015 but I had good memories of the game so I thought I'd give it a go. I still love the game, and it's great for all the reasons I can remember. The music was especially good and I paid more attention to it this time around. The puzzles were still unique and fresh and since it's been a few years I had to rack my brain again to solve them which is a good thing. Overall this is a 7.5/10 experience - good but not great, somewhat of an acquired taste.

Game 52 - Super Mario Odyssey - Nintendo Switch - Completed Dec 29th, 2017
I suppose it's fitting that I end this challenge on Super Mario Odyssey. It was a great 3D platformer, probably up there for me with Super Mario 64. It definitely seems like a game that will get better with time and age well - there is so much to do and see that it will take several playthroughs to see everything, and I love that about the game. My only complaint is that I'm not very good at these sorts of games so some of the bosses were a bit bullshit. Overall, a solid 9.5/10 from me.

Past challenges:

Main post part 2

-------

42. Fantasy Wars - 19 hours
Good TBS game, originally released in 2007. If you like strategy game and Fantasy General specifically, you should definitely check it out. It's really hard and challenging even on "easy" difficulty, AI never miss a chance to screw you over and always targeting your most vulnerable and important units.

Big-ish update after my holidays

2N00VLA.png

16-ish. 78% completed.

While the gameplay was sort of repetitive, I did enjoy the dynamic Arkham-style combat and the fact that the game world had lots of things to do. I did love how the Nemesis system spiced up things by creating a power structure for the enemies that was simply so satisfying to destroy. I hope Shadow of War is more varied though.

My Score: ★★★★☆

sZsZTby.png

20:20h. No postgame, most sidequests completed.

At first, I was pleasantly surprised by how japanese this game was. Bug catching, konpeito, festivals... even though the localization team tried (in vain) to "europeize" the game (for example, using euros as the currency instead of yen) there was a certain "end of summer in Japan" spirit that made for a very charming setting.

The game itself, though, is short and easy (I don't remember being defeated even once) and sort of "baby's first Pokémon". I've heard the postgame is harder, so I'll give it a go after I trim my backlog a bit more.

My Score: ★★★☆☆

rchlSf3.png

13:19h. Completed all radio towers and outposts, most Hunting sidequests, skipped basically everything else.

When people say that Fallout is Skyrim with guns, show them this game. Far Cry 3 is basically a short, limited Skyrim with guns. It's a great FPS though - the island feels alive, with lots of things to do, but you need to be on your toes not only because of the enemies, but also because of the treacherous nature (it's easy to fall down a ravine or to be attacked by a Komodo dragon that was camouflaged in the grass)

The story is basically pulp filler, but it fits the needs of the game really well. I think this is my favourite 2017 action game, at least until Wolfenstein 2 launches.

My Score: ★★★★★

TA8hNnj.png

20:01h. Noob Mode. All paralogues and invasions.

As a conclusion to the Fire Emblem Fates trilogy, this game felt a bit weak. The story was predictable and Corrin's messianic tendencies became almost annoying (it was funny how some S-Supports went basically "I love you, but I love Corrin more" "Oh don't worry, I'm the same! Corrin is the best!")

I did like the battles though - they were more fun than Birthright's, and less unfair than Conquest's, so IMO they're the best in the series. However, the sheer amount of battles, coupled with the availability of all NPCs, means you can make some really really broken Children. Part of my strategy was letting Kana loose so she could destroy most of the opposing forces...

My Score: ★★★★☆

Original Post

Azriell

Complete List

Overwatch
Platform: PS4
Time: 485:00*
Date: 09.27
Score: (5/5)

I finally achieved my big Overwatch goal for the year, which was to attain the silver character frame (awarded upon reaching level 601). This was the milestone I set for myself to consider the game beaten.

Overwatch is one of my favorite competitive FPS in years. I love just about everything about the game. I dedicated a lot of time to competitive to the game this year, which is probably the weakest element of the game. There have been a lot of good additions to the game this year, but I would like to see more focus on adding core features (maps, characters) instead of fringe content (alternative modes, etc).

I'm probably going to take a break from the game pretty soon. I hope that I can give it some space and come back to a game that has had several major content updates. Something to make the game feel new and fresh again.

*92 hours of the 485 hours listed above are from last year, when I went from level 1 to level 100 for the first time.

rahji

Game 12: Dear Esthar: Landmark Edition - 3 hours with all achievements

Back then, it was a great experience and it still holds up. What is really good about the Landmark Edition is the addition of a developers commentary. There I learned a lot about the story and all the details I missed in my 3(?) playthroughs. It was really cool to hear what these guys were after and how they wanted to achieve it. But I also realized by listening to the developers that I do not consume games that thoroughly. Some of the details are so tiny that you have to take a really deep look at the game world to see them. Maybe I am more trained on mechanics than on visuals in games.

next game: Still the same: I am still on Devil may Cry, but I can only play once in a while because my PC is like 300 km away. I need a game that runs on my almost 10 years old laptop...

Krooner

The Evil Within

Absolutely adored this. Story was complete bobbins, but the monster designs, level designs, gunplay, everything felt great. Nice chunky feeling weapons, an 'Inception'-like greatest hits tour of survival horror video games. Loved the nods to Mikami's past games, as well as all the others. It made me smile way more than it should of. One of my favourites of the year so far, it was great.

Am considering the DLC. Anyone know if it's any good? Looking forward to the sequel now, not sure if buying a Bethesda game on release would be a fiscally responsible thing to do though...

Big update on my original post:

# 35 Game of Thrones - Season 1 (PS4)
GOOD - I was in the mood for more GoT while watching the 7th season. I really liked the game. Sure, it's your typical Telltale stuff without too much actual gameplay and many "choices" are fake, but it entertainend me well. Perfect after a long day of work to relax to. Story and characters are good and fit into the GoT universe well. It also rekindled my interest in Telltale games a bit so that I started Tales from the Borderlands.

#36 Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (PS4)
GOOD - Like all Vanillaware games this game is very beautiful. It also shares one of the biggest problems of Vanillaware games. It is very repetitive. The characters are different enough to play through the whole story, but the same enemies and locations make it feel like playing the same game over and over again. I didn't play with a guide so I naturally picked one of the "bad" endings, because I didn't chose the right characters for the right bosses. Well, I can life with that – I won't replay all bosses again because the 35 hours I invested in the game are more then enough. Don't get me wrong, the game is really good. But it's too long for it's own good. It would have been better as a 10 – 15 hour experience with optional characters to chose from. Still way better than Muramasa IMO. But Dragon's Crown easily stays Vanillaware best game yet.

#37 Eternal (PC/Android)
GREAT - I was in the mood for a new digital CCG and stumbled across Eternal. A mix between Magic the Gathering (which I love) and Hearthstone (which I don't like too much, but I like the slick UI). And yeah, it's basically Magic with the UI of Hearthstone with some unique mechanics. I finished the campaign which is merely a tutorial and put some hours in building decks and playing ranked matches. Great fun so far and the output of new cards is really high compared to other CCGs I tried. Playing this on a daily basis now.

#38 Borderlands 2: Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage (PS4)
MEDIOCRE - In this DLC one thing became apparent for me: The balancing in this game is terrible. I played this DLC (like the one before) on Vault Hunter with my Level 41 Mechromancer and it was plain frustrating. Especially that final boss fight was a chore and only possible with lots of tricks and abuses. But Vault Hunter seems like the only way to level up further because when I switch back to normal mode I get like 3XP for one enemy and I am almost invincible. Another big gripe with the game is the loot-system. It feels like I can only get decent weaponry out of the box in the city where you pay with those Gearbox-Keys. Terrible design in an otherwise good and fun game. But to be honest I was never the biggest Borderlands fan.

#39 Stardew Valley (PC)
GREAT - The Harvest Moon sequel I always wanted. Probably my second favorite Life Sim after the godlike Fantasy Life from Level-5. Finished the community center route. I did most of the stuff in the game except the socializing with the citizens. That always bores me. There is already too much socializing in real life ;)

#40 Destiny 2 (PS4)
GREAT - Beaten with a Warlock on Level 284. Played the whole thing with my brother and a friend and it was great fun. Also did two Nightfalls, most Strikes and some PvP. Did half of the RAID, but that was no fun at all for me.

#41 Warhammer Vermintide: End Times (PS4)
GOOD - Very nice interpretation of the Left 4 Dead gameplay. Probably the best game of this sub-genre. Played it coop with my brother. The AI for the bots was a bit dumb, especially in the last mission. They refused to pic up and use items and got killed in impossible places ... made it very frustrating.

#42 Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS)
MEDIOCRE - I love the Dragon Quest games and the charme is fully intact in this one. The german translation is on point and very, very enjoyable once again. The problem ist, this is a 50 hours game stretched to 100+ hours. It's too long with way, way too much backtracking. Also it's often not clear where to go next. It was a real pain for me to finish this game and I don't know why I did it because I lost interest in it around the 50 hour mark. Easily the worst mainline DQ-game from those I played. I don't understand why this is regarded as the best DQ-game by many fans.

#43 Killing Floor 2 (PS4)
MEDIOCRE – Well, I liked the first one but I guess I am just over "horde"-modes and zombies these days. To be fair, I never was a big fan of the whole concept. Even when Left for Dead was the new shit I didn't find it that great. I finished several maps and consider this "beaten" because I heard there are only two bosses in the game? So basically I saw it all.

Spyware

6NJP4Yb.png

Forbidden Siren - PS2 - Completed September 3
This game is just so strange. It looks good and bad at the same time and the gameplay isn't enjoyable. The idea of sightjacking is cool but the way the rest works just makes it a pain in the ass to play. But there is something in there that made me keep going. And going. And going. And suddenly finish the whole thing. Worth it? Yeah, strangely enough it was.​

ZXTG8ux.png

Diablo - PC - Completed September 4
I tried getting into this game many times. Dunno why it never clicked with me. I have some brief thoughts about this in the Diablo II text further down. Despite that, I'm happy I made it through.​

KpF25E1.png

Bastion - PC - Completed September 5
Oh Bastion. How I want to like you. I just seem to be immune to whatever you do that charm other people. Aside from the music of course. This amazing, amazing music! Ohwell. Glad to have this out of the backlog. It wasn't long so I don't feel like too much time was wasted.​

NwSXGsa.png

Singularity - PC - Completed September 5
I played this back at release on 360. And some things hit me now when I replayed it for PC. First of all, the VAs! This is way more packed with famous voices than I could recall. And woah this is a pretty scary game! I didn't remember that at all. Some areas felt completely new, like I had never played those areas before. But I must have! I remember the ending and other areas perfectly. Strange. Anyway, it was great to experience this game again and I loved the whole thing.​

VdH8q4k.png

Wonder Girl: The Dragon's Trap - Switch - Completed September 16
I love that the title changed when picking the ladyhero! And wow this game is so gorgeous. I like this kind of remake. Stays true to the old gameplay but updates the graphics to incredible levels. I had great fun all the way through the game and I hate to say that I wouldn't even look twice at the original game. So for snobs like me these remakes are great! The only negative thing I have to say is that one part of a mouse level was incredibly frustrating. The rest was easy and charming!​

kVRLkvb.png

Pokémon X - 3DS - Completed September 17
After finishing ORAS last month I realised I hadn't "mastered" X yet. Wanted to nuzlocke all the gen 6 games before moving on to gen 7 so I played a quick "Wonderwedlocke". It's a nuzlocke where you wonder trade your first catch of every route and whetever you get from the WT is what you can use. Wedlocke is a variant where you pair two Pokémon together and you can only switch between that pair in battle. Fainted mons are dead as usual. I had fun but the low difficulty and strange pacing makes X and Y quite easy to nuzlocke which means they are a lot less fun than other games.​

AUSwIWO.png

Diablo II - PC - Completed September 24
Another game that is hard to write about. It's a classic, people love it, it shaped many games... but I dunno. I don't like the "style" and setting to be honest. Feels great to have finally played it myself tho. I remember watching a friend play this a lot when it came out.​

yjwYz8k.png

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 3DS - Completed September 25
I figured four years, complete collections (besides the catalog because that feels impossible) and many best buddies is enough to mark this game as completed. I feel done. This was my very first Animal Crossing and I adored it. Welcome amiibo was a great update too! Hopefully a new one arrives sooner rather than later.​

----------------
Master Post

Bastion

Game 1-Criminal Girls 2 Party Favors-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 2nd
-I really enjoyed the grind in this game. I usually hate grinding but this game makes it very easy to do so. Fun little game that took about 25 hours. 8/10

Game 2-Shantae Half Genie Hero-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 6th
-This was the perfect game after the long grind of my previous game. Very light-hearted and fun! Perfect on the Vita! 8/10

Game 3-Alone With You-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 14th
-While this adventure game wasn't great, it was very relaxing to play which is what made me enjoy it overall. 7/10

Game 4-Call of Duty Infinite Warfare-2016-PS4-Beaten on January 15th
-I might be in the minority that only play the story mode in Call of Duty games and have to say that I never tire of them. They are like a summer blockbuster. I really liked the on ground parts of his game but didn't really like the flying portions. Still waiting for a return to WWII. 8/10

Game 5-Severed-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 17th
-I really enjoyed this game outside of a few difficulty spikes here or there. Great atmosphere and great touch controls which I usually hate. 9/10

Game 6-Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7-2012-Vita-Beaten on January 19th
-This was the weakest game I have played in a long time. This game was before Lego characters talked so all it is is a disjointed story with very weird grunts/sounds from the characters. I really like the Harry Potter universe but this game is just bad. At least I got it super cheap from a PSN sale. 4/10

Game 7-Neverending Nightmares-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 21
-I really enjoyed this little (2 hours long)horror game. It had great atmosphere and sound especially with headphones on. The title explains the game perfectly as you keep repeating the same nightmare over and over again with slight differences everytime you die. The story is slight but interesting as well. 7/10

Game 8-Trails of Cold Steel 2-2016-Vita-Beaten on February 17
-Over the last 13 months, I have beaten all four of the recent Trails games and have loved every single one of them. This one took me 50 hours which is why this is he first game I have beaten in almost a month. If you like RPG's this is one of the best. 10/10

Game 9-World of Final Fantasy-2016-Vita-Beaten on February 25
-Where January was meant for shorter games for myself, February has been dedicated to longer RPG's. I really enjoyed this game for the most part. It was great to see all the supporting stars from previous Final Fantasy games. The story was not great but kept me interested for the most part. I finished the game with the original bad ending and then saw all that I had to do to get the good ending and just decided to call it. I watched the good ending on YouTube. I had just had enough of all the random battles at that point. 8/10

Game 10-Odin Sphere Leiftrauser-2016-Vita-Beaten on April 1
-Wow. Where did March go? I played a lot of games in March just didn't finish any. I finally beat this game on April Fools Day and as a game, it is no joke. What a great game! I really enjoyed the gameplay and while the environments repeated themselves over and over, the gameplay made up for it. 9/10

Game 11-The Walking Dead Episode 3 Above the Law-2017-PS4-Beaten on April 2
-I am a sucker for all these Telltale games. Can't get enough of them. If you liked the previous games, you will like this. I like how Clem is really developing as a character as she is gets older. 9/10

Game 12-Mr. Shifty-2017-Nintendo Switch-Beaten on April 22
-I really liked this game as it's like the Hotline Miami series, which I love. If it hadn't been for the slowdown in the Switch version, I think I would have liked it better than the Hotline Miami games. 8/10

Game 13-Guardians of the Galaxy The Telltale Series Episode 1-2017-PS4-Beaten on April 29
-I feel like this was the weakest of any Telltale series game. It was boring as I had to start the game over three different times because I fell asleep. I do really like the opening song "Why Can't I Touch It" by the Buzzcocks. Hopefully the series will pick up with future episodes. 6/10

Game 14-What Remains of Edith Finch-2017-PS4-Beaten on April 29
-Favorite game of the year so far. Great atmosphere and strange(in a good way) story. Loved the Holloween music in one of the stories! 10/10

Game 15-Full Throttle Remastered-2017-Vita-Beaten on May 1
-I have to admit that I didn't really like this game. If it wasn't for an online guide, I would have never beaten the game. It also was very choppy(not the frame rate but the game)which I'm not sure if that was in the original game or not. 5/10
Last edited by Bastion; 05-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Game 16-Gal Gun Double Peace-2016-Vita-Beaten on May 22
-Inreally don't have much of an opinion on this game. It is a on rails shooter where you shoot girls. Without a gun peripheral it just isn't much fun in my opinion. 5/10

Game 17-The Walking Dead: A New Frontier-Episode 4 Thicker than Water-2017-PS4-Beaten on May 25
-Again, good episode. 9/10

Game 18-The Walking Dead: A New Frontier-Episode 5 From the Gallows-2017-PS4-Beaten on May 31
-I really liked the entire series and thought this was a good concluding episode. Not as good as the first two but still good. I am looking forward to what happens next as the ending sets it up pretty well. 8/10

Game 19-Assassin's Creed Unity-2014-PS4-Beaten on June 4
-I really enjoy the Assasin Creed games. I haven't played all of them so I haven't got burned out on them yet. I only play the story missions so it keeps me focused because the map is just filled with tons of things to do so it can be overwhelming. I didn't try the co-op missions in this game so I can't speak to those at all. 7/10

Game 20-The Little Acre-2016-PS4-Beaten on June 5
-This is a very brief(about two hours) point and click adventure game. I had an average time with this average game. I got this for a couple of $$ on a PSN sale and played it as I knew it was really short. 6/10

Game 21-Quantum Break-2016-Xbox One-Beaten on June 15
-I absolutely loved this game. Had I finished this game last year, it would have been one of my favorite games of 2016. I love the time powers and I really like the mixture of game and tv show. This game had great production value and is something you just don't see much. I think Defiance is the only other game that had a show go along with it. 10/10

Game 22-Destiny-2014-PS4-Beaten on June 18
-I bought Destiny the day it came out back in 2014 and played it for awhile but then quit. Now with Destiny 2 right around the corner, I decided it was time to finish the game and all of the expansions. I have to say that I really enjoyed the gameplay. The story wasn't great but I was never bored. This summary is for the original Destiny only and will be adding the dlc add-ons as I play through them. 8/10

Game 23-Destiny The Dark Below DLC-2014-PS4-Beaten on June 18
-This was the first expansion to Destin and added three story missions to Destiny. It took me about an hour to get through all three story missions. It was more of the same but still good. 8/10

Game 24-Destiny The House of Wolves DLC-2015-PS4-Beaten on June 19
-This was the second expansion for Destiny and I liked this much more than The Dark Below as it had better atmosphere in my opinion. 9/10

Game 25-Destiny The Taken King DLC-2015-PS4-Beaten on June 21
-This was a great addition to Destiny. Really enjoyed the story missions. Now for the Rise of Iron. 9/10

Game 26-Ghostbusters VR Now Hiring Episode 1-2017-PSVR -Beaten on June 23
-This was a fun little experience for $4 from the recent PSN sale. It was only about 15 minutes but it was fun and very cool to be in the Ghostbusters universe. Recommended if you get it for $5 or under. 7/10

Game 27-Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission-2016-PSVR-Beaten on June 23
-This was a great VR experience and if you love Star Wars, it will be a highlight of your gaming life. This was awesome! It makes you feel like you are there shooting down the tie-fighters. It did only take me only 16 minutes to beat it but it was a free download since I own Star Wars Battlefront. I also came away a little dizzy but not bad. 10/10
Last edited by Bastion; 06-23-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Game 28-Destiny Rise of Iron DLC-2016-PS4-Beaten on June 25
-I am now ready for Destiny 2. Really enjoyed this expansion. More Destiny. 9/10

G ame 29-Guardians of the Galaxy The Telltale Series Eposode 2-2017-PS4-Beaten on June 26
-Hmm..... I love what Telltale has done with the Walking Dead and Batman and pretty much everything else but I am not feeling this series. Maybe it's because I feel the franchise is just plain weird. I don't know. 5/10

Game 30-Fate: The Silent Oath-2017-PSVR-Beaten on June 30
-I really enjoyed this adventure even though it did make me a bit dizzy. The game was short and rough around the edges but still a great experience. I hope to see a AAA game do this type of game! 7/10

Game 31-Spider Man Homecoming VR-2017-PSVR-Beaten on June 30
-I really wasn't very impressed by this experience. It was ok but the graphics were really rough. It was cool shooting from my webslinger(via two PS moves). It only lasted maybe 15 minutes but it was free! 5/10

Game 32-Outlast Whistleblower DLC-2014-PS4-Beaten on July 8
-I love survival horror games so game is right up my alley. I really liked the main game and this dlc was just as good if not better. Very atmospheric and dark. Looking forward to playing Outlast 2 soon. 10/10

Game 33-Titanfall 2-2016-Xbox One-Beaten on July 10
-I loved this game. The mixture of shooting and platform was perfect. The only thing that I didn't like was the assembly line level as I just didn't know where to go. 9/10

Game 34-Soma-2015-PS4-Beaten on July 19
-This game was awesome. It was a very unsettling experience which I loved! I really liked the story and gameplay. E only thing that I thought was a bit annoying were the "monsters". Even though the weird "monsters" helped make the game more tense, it seemed like they were very random and hard to escape at times. I think that was the point overall, but still annoying. 9/10

Game 35-Sniper Elite 3-2014-PS4-Beaten on July 23
-I have always loved sniping in games, and his game lets you snipe all the time and does it wonderfully! I never get tired of the slow-mo effect when sniping and watching the bullet penetrate the body of the enemy. Great stuff! 9/10

Game 36-House of the Dead IV along with HOTD IV SP-2012-PS3-Beaten on July 25
-This was the first House of the Dead game I have played to completion and I enjoyed it a lot. Very cheesy story and voice acting but that's ok as it's an arcade game. It looked good on the PS3 and works very well with move. Not quite the same as the old light gun games though. Those guns felt better. 7/10

Game 38-Tokyo Xanadu-2017-Vita-Beaten on July 26
-This was a great, modern day action rpg. If you liked the Trails of Cold Steel games with the action of Ys and the personality of Persona 4, this game is for you. I thoroughly enjoyed all 40 hours I played and actually played to get the true ending after the credits originally rolled which I have never done before. That says something. 10/10

Game 39-House of the Dead III-2012-PS3-Beaten on July 26
-After beating HOTD IV yesterday, I decided to go ahead and play III. I liked this one better simply because it had shotguns instead of uzi's. 7/10

Game 40-Night in the Woods-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 6
-This game was very chill and easy to enjoy. I enjoyed the coming of age story and the conversations that took place throughout the game. The story does end up a bit strange but I am open to anything when it comes to video games. 8/10

Game 41-Rime-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 7
-This game is in the same vein as Ico, Journey, Abzu, and Bound. I find all of these games incredibly relaxing to play. There really is nothing negative to say about the game other than the story is really non-existent until the end where it becomes quite touching. Great experience! 10/10

Game 42-Batman The Enemy Within Episode 1 The Enigma-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 8
-I loved the first Batman Telltale game and so far, I love Season 2. Batman fits so well into this type of game. It is my favorite Telltale series by far. 10/10

Game 43-Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 11
-Wow! This game is one of the best games I have ever played. Maybe my new favorite game. Unbelievably good. Superb graphics, audio and atmosphere. I loved every second of it. 10/10
Last edited by Bastion; Yesterday at 10:47 PM.

Game 44-For Honor-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 12
-For Honor was free this weekend to try so I downloaded it and played the entire story campaign. I really liked the sword gameplay but the story was weak. This game had beautiful graphics and overall really enjoyed my time with the game. 7/10

Game 45-Frisky Business(2017)-PS4-Beaten on August 13
-I have started enjoying visual novels the last couple of years on the Vita so when I saw this game on sale for like $7 I got it without looking at length or any game is very short short-like an hour short-but is a fun little visual novel. There are some typos which is make it seem a bit amateurish but for the most part the writing is ok. Most visual novels are quite long so having a short visual novel was nice. 6/10

Game 46-Blackwood Crossing(2017)-PS4-Beaten on August 14
-Hmmm......Not really sure about his game. It was short(about three hours) but would have taken forever without a guide to help get me through it. I liked the graphics and the ending but everything else was ok. The worst part about this game was how slow the main character moved. 6/10

Game 47-Tacoma(2017)-Xbox One-Beaten on August 16
-I have played a lot of "walking simulators" the last couple of years and really enjoy them. If I am being honest, this was one of the weakest. It was very short and a bit boring overall. The graphics were very basic and there was nothing really that stood out. The twist ending at the end was good, but predictable. 6/10

Game 48-Undertale(2017)-Vita-Beaten on August 17
-This was one of the most unique games I have ever played. Great writing and humor, especially in the latter part of the game. I loved the fighting mechanics of this game as well. Very clever! I also liked that it was short-around 5 hours or so. Two negatives-I didn't like the 4:3 screen. It would look much better if the game filled the whole screen. It made font quite small on the Vita. I also thought he main character should walk much faster. Give me a run button please! 8/10

Game 49-Sniper Elite 4(2017)-PS4- Beaten on August 21
-I loved this game even more than Sniper Elite 3. The sniping just never gets boring. Love the WWII time period as well. Great game! 10/10

Game 50-Uncharted The Lost Legacy(2017)-PS4-Beaten on August 27
-Great game! Love the graphics and gameplay. The only thing I didn't like as much were the characters. While not bad, they just weren't as funny as Drake. Missed the Drake-Sully interaction. With that said, everything else was superb! 9/10

Game 51-GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: A TELLTALE SERIES EPISODE 3: “MORE THAN A FEELING”(2017)-PS4-Beaten on August 31
-Well it is more of the same which means it ok. I continue to just not like this universe and find it a bit boring. The best episode so far in this specific series. 6/10

Game 52-Life is Strange Before the Storm-Episode 1-Awake(2017)-PS4-Beaten on September 2
-Well I hit the 52 mark with a game I was really looking forward to as I enjoyed the original. I thought episode one was a very good starting point and look forward to episode 2. 8/10

Game 53-Deadpool(2015)-PS4-Beaten on September 4
-I recently watched the Deadpool movie and loved it so I thought I would try out this game, especially since it was cheap on the PAX PSN sale. Overall, the game is ok. I enjoyed e gameplay, for the most part, as I love hack and slash games. This game also had guns which was fine. He biggest issue with his version of the game was that the game paused for a second, almost like it was loading, literally at least once a minute if not more. Outside of this, the frame rate was good nreally hampered the overall enjoyment of the game for me. 5/10

Game 54-Skylar and Plux Adventure on Clover Island(2017)-PS4-Beaten on September 5
-This was a very fun, little platform platformer. It only lasted a couple of hours and you can tell that it wasn't made by a triple AAA studio, but I still had a lot of fun. 7/10

Game 55-Michael Jackson The Experience HD(2012)-Vita-Beaten on September 9
I love Michale Jackson songs but am not a huge fan of music rythm games. This one is the best one I have played simply because I love the songs. I got the game free on the day the Vita launched due to a PSN glitch that gave the full game free instead of the demo. 7/10

Game 56-Dying Reborn(2017)-Vita-Beaten on September 10
-I enjoyed the game overall even though it was very rough in many areas. It is a horror game where your goal is to solve puzzles to escape the room. I got it for under $5 which is what I would recommend and no more. 6/10

Game 57-Color Guardians(2015)-Vita-Beaten on September 11
-I really enjoyed this game more than I thought I would. It was an endless runner that makes you constantly switch colors and lanes to pick up orbs. If you don't switch to the correct color at the right time, you will run into an object that kills you. Luckily there are checkpoints that save it from being too frustrating, the bosses add more challenge to the game and were fun in hindsight but frustrating at the time. Solid little game. 7/10

Game 58-Manifest 99(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on September 16
-This was a great little vr experience. I say experience because it wasn't really a game. The only gameplay involved is looking around with your eyes looking for things. Still a nice experience and would recommend it for the price. 9/10

Game 59-Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!(2014)-Vita-Beaten on September 20
-I had to double check that I had the title rigt and yes, there are five explanation points. Anyway, this was a fun fighting game. I played through three characters in story mode and then played through all the characters stories in the "After Story" mode which is a visual novel with one fight(one round) per story. Enjoyed it overall but the story was a bit stupid. 7/10

Game 60-NBA 2K16(2015)-PS4-Beaten on September 21
-I wanted to play the story mode that Spike Lee directed. It was ok. Now I'm ready for NBA2K18. 7/10

Game 61-J-Stars Victory VS+(2015)-Vita-Beaten on September 24
-This was an ok game. I played through the story mode. Really this was about clearing space on my memory card for Dangonranpa v3 which comes out his week. 7/10

Game 62-Butcher(2017)-Switch-Beaten on September 29
-I love this game! I loved the gunplay and the atmosphere and the music and the entire game. It is a like Doom in 2D with a mix of Hotline Miami. Highly recommended! 10/10
Last edited by Bastion; Today at 06:22 PM.

Game 63-The Evil Within-The Assignment DLC(2015)-PS4-Beaten on October 1
-I beat the main game a couple of years ago and recently bought the DLC during a PSN sale. I figured it was time to play it with The Evil Within 2 coming out soon. Anyway, I really enjoyed this dlc. It was much more stealth based which I really enjoyed and had great horror atmsohphere! 9/10

Game 64-The Evil Within-The Consequence DLC(2015)-PS4-Beaten on October 3
-Again, I really liked this dlc for the same reasons as The Assignment. Good horror atmosphere. 9/10

Game 65-The Evil Within-The Executioner DLC(2015)-PS4-Beaten on October 5
-Thisw as much different than the other two DLC's and that ok. Is was action based and a lot of fun. Bring on The Evil Within 2! 8/10

Game 66-Detention(2017)-PS4-Beaten on October 6
-As I continue to play horror games this month, this was a 2D sidescrolling game that just came out on PS4. I have to say that that 2D does not work very well for horror in my opinion. This was an ok game with good music and atmosphere but one I was looking forward to getting over. 6/10

Game 67-The Invisible Hours(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on October 14
-This is my new favorite PSVR game. It was sooo good. Keep in mind that this is a story driven murder mystery where I played as an observer only. The idea is to figure out who committed the murder by following all the different people and listen to their conversations. As long as you can live with a game with actual gameplay besides moving around, this comes highly recommended. 10/10

Game 68-Don't Knock Twice(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on October 15
-I love horror movies and horror games but I think that horror games in VR are now my favorite way to experience horror. This game is exactly what you would expect. You walk around a scary house with jump scares. It works very well and I enjoyed my 3-4 hours with it. Of course it's a little roug h around the edges but still a good horror experience. More please! 7/10

Game 69-The Bellows(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on October 16
-I continue my horror game binge with another short PSVR game. This game could have a lot better had it had any sort of story but it didn't. Iit did have good atmosphere but depended solely on a few jump scare. Don't Knock Twice is much better in every aspect. 5/10

Game 70-Soul Dimension Episode 0(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on October 16
-This is the weakest of the last three short PSVR horror games I have beaten. It had terrible movement and voice acting with a story hat made no sense. There was a crazy boss battle that made no sense as well. The only cool thing was the ending and the promise of more episodes to come. As of now, I don't think I would buy them. 4/10

Game 71-Batman The Enemy Within Episode 2-The Pact(2017)-PS4-Beaten on October 18
-This episode was probably the weakest episode from the Telltale Batman games. It just didn't have a lot of interesting parts. With that said, it was still pretty good. 7/10

Game 72-Life is Strange Before the Storm Episode 2: Brave New World(2017)-PS4-Beaten on October 21
-This episode was very chill and didn't have anything to big happen. Overall it was good but a bit slow. Great music! 7/10

Game 73-Outlast 2(2017)-PS4-Beaten on October 24
-I really liked this game as I continue horror game month. Did I like it as much as the first game? Yes I did. The only annoying thing is the fact that you constantly have to have the video camera turned on which is basically night vision. It just ruins the look of the game for much of the game. 8/10

Ninth update for September.

Main post|Backlog Blitz main post

Ummm... except there is no update this month. I've not actually finished anything this month. And it doesn't help I've added more to my backlog by buying a fuckton of new games on Steam thanks to a new PC. Not to mention the purchases of FIFA 18 and Destiny 2 on PS4 (more details in the Backlog Blitz main post I have).

So, to actually finish some games in October then!

Shadax84

Neo Member
34. Oddworld - Abes Odyssey New N Tasty - 10 Hours

header.jpg

Platform: PC (Steam)
Completition Date: 30.9.2017
Rating: 8 / 10

I started this game in the original version on PC but didn't made it very far.
So when this remake was released, i saw my chance :)
This is a really great remake of an already very good classic game.
Nice graphics that boosts the atmosphere, good stealth gameplay.
The difficulty is quite high but there is a quicksave button :)
Made it through the main story (bad ending), didn't save all mudokons.

Ladekabel

August

Game 39: Power Hover (PC): A level based autorunner. Presentation is nice, soundtrack wasn't my thing. Gameplay was hit or miss for me. It either oversteered in situations where I didn't want it to or understeered in situations where I needed more. 3/5

Game 40: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (PC): I think I would've enjoyed the game more if I played it when it came out. Crashed often for me and the game feeling was off imo. Storytelling was awful. Level design was great though. 2/5

Game 41: The Journey Down Chapter 2 (Macbook): Like its predecessor. a neat adventure game. Likeable characters, good soundtrack and a tad longer than the first one. 3/5

Game 42: Valley (PC): A first-person-platformer. Looks great, plays great, soundtrack is great. 4/5

Game 43: Emporium (PC): Dark surreal adventure game. It is short but even if it only takes ~ 30 minutes to go through the gameplayloop gets quite tedious and distracted me from the themes it tries to tackle. 3/5

Game 44: The Silent Age (Macbook): Adventure with a time-travelling story. I'm a sucker for those. 3/5

Game 45: Prey (2017): Great sci-fi game. Atmosphere, combat and soundtrack are quite good. Also liked the art design in this. Ending felt a little rushed and I quite encountered a few bugs. 4/5 but a 5/5 in my heart.

September:

Game 46: Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition (PC): Fuck this game. Was so good but then a known bug which hasn't been fixed in all these years in a story sequence wiped my equipment. Halfway through the Awakening campaign. Really enjoyed the rest of the game but this is unacceptable. 1/5

Game 47: Oxenfree (PC): Neat little advenutre with interesting story. Though I got the impression that the teens were really tweens or people in their thirties captured in younger bodies. 3/5

Game 48: Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Switch): A turn-based strategy game with a lot of charme. The last few levels are pretty hard. Looks nice, plays nice, sounds nice. And while there is a lot you can do with the movement of your characters and combining abilities, there was something for me that was missing. Maybe bigger squads or more options for your character classes. Score: 3/5 or 4/5 depending on what day you ask me.

Game 49: Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch): Like the first one, if you're looking for something chill to play, get this game. Nice visual style, good soundtrack and fun gameplay. Even some slightly creepy stuff. An improvement on the excellent Steamworld Dig. 4/5

August and September updates.

Coming close. I would like to make Super Mario Odyssey to be my 52nd game but I don't know if I can give it this honor.

illusionary

A somewhat disappointing one game to add for September, though much of that's due to pouring time into XCOM 2: War of the Chosen. I'm now very near to completing my playthrough with the expansion, so that'll be featuring in my completions for October, taking me over the 52 games threshold. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider is also beaten, but I'm still working on it for the platinum trophy - so again, a game for October's list.

Mario_Rabbids.jpg

51. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Switch) - 17 September 2017
All story chapters completed, all challenges completed (including 'ultimate' challenges), all collectibles obtained. I've always enjoyed the XCOM flavour of turn-based strategy games, but even taking that into account this is a real gem of a game Certainly its mechanics are somewhat simplified from full-blown XCOM, but to an extent that's quite refreshing and it doesn't stop the game from presenting a fairly serious challenge at times and remaining satisfying throughout. I was afraid that the Rabbid theme would be offputting, but while there's the occasional toilet humour that I could have done without, the characterisation of the Rabbid party members is actually really well done and I came to like them all by the end of the game. Added to that, the game is technically solid, with a superb soundtrack from Grant Kirkhope rounding out an excellent package.

Burglekutt

Eblo

Master post

Not sure where I'll land this year. It'll probably be the last year I blaze through so many titles. Maybe.

220px-Nancy_Drew_-_The_Final_Scene_Cover_Art.jpeg

Nancy Drew: The Final Scene: August 31-September 1
Hooray for fixing the time mechanic. Pacing is much better off for it.

220px-Secret_of_the_Scarlet_Hand_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand: September 1
Hooray for automatic camera rotation. Boo for schedules coming back. Better music style and usage.

250px-Nancy_Drew_-_Ghost_Dogs_of_Moon_Lake_Cover_Art.jpeg

Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake: September 1-2
Better characters, better animations.

220px-Nancy_Drew_-_The_Haunted_Carousel_Cover_Art.jpeg

Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel: September 2
Better integration of characters into the story. Cell phone usage with call directory.

220px-Half-Life_2_-_Episode_One.jpg

Half-Life 2: Episode One: September 2-3
Replay :(

220px-Nancy_Drew_-_Danger_on_Deception_Island_Cover_Art.jpeg

Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island: September 3-4
Feels fresh, perhaps because it's the first one after the games I had played. Marked a new era for the series, it feels like. These games do a lot of educating on various subjects. Had a potentially fun fakeout twist with Nancy's friend being the culprit, but then it went and picked the most predictable person again.

220px-Nancy_Drew_-_The_Secret_of_Shadow_Ranch_Cover_Art.jpeg

Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch: September 4
Yields much needed UI improvements, but this also made selecting and using items a hassle. It's not clear when to check email, and the todo list doesn't seem to function properly. The culprit could really have been anybody but just turned out to be the person with almost no backstory.

220px-Curse_of_Blackmoor_Manor_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor: September 5-6
Significantly worse animation. Like, it looks horrendous. On par with Message in a Haunted Mansion. I'm not sure what the hell happened here.

220px-Danganronpa_AnotherEpisode_Cover.jpg

Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls: September 6-10
Replay.

220px-Secret_of_the_Old_Clock_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock: September 10-11
Characters look even worse. The animation is choppy and there's only one emotion per model. The driving mechanic is shameless padding and without it the game is short and lacking in substance. The 1930s setting is a pointless gimmick that adds nothing and makes the chronology of the series confusing.

220px-Last_Train_to_Blue_Moon_Canyon_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon: September 11-12
Animations aren't as bad as the above, but they're not as good as some previous games. The button sequence memorization puzzles got old several games ago. At least there are sharp new cursor sprites. Overall a pretty boring game. The culprit was obvious yet again.

220px-Danger_By_Design_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Danger by Design: September 12-13
Just not that interesting. Refreshing locale, but eh. Fatigue for this series has set in. These games feel progressively incomplete and mass-produced.

220px-The_Creature_of_Kapu_Cave_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Creature of Kapu Cave: September 13-14
Model and background animations actually improved again. Characters are better than in the last few disappointing games. Playing as someone other than Nancy extensively is a nice change of pace. Then the ending comes up suddenly with little buildup. The game is half-baked.

220px-Metroid_Samus_Returns.jpg

Metroid: Samus Returns: September 15-21
Counters are fun. Teleporters are a godsend. 360 degree aiming is such a natural addition to 2D Metroid. It gets old having to fight the same minibosses over and over with little variation.

220px-Nancy_Drew_-_The_White_Wolf_of_Icicle_Creek_Cover_Art.jpeg

Nancy Drew: White Wolf of Icicle Creek: September 21-22
Great UI overhaul, and characters look better than before. Ambient sounds make the setting seem lively. Suspect wasn't obvious for once, although I did already know who it was. Plenty of room for second guessing.

220px-Legend_of_the_Crystal_Skull_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull: September 23
Strong setting, fun adventure. Perhaps the best Nancy Drew game at this point in the series. Only complaint is the culprit's motives were too simplistic and needed fleshed out.

250px-The_Phantom_of_Venice_Coverart.png

Nancy Drew: Phantom of Venice: September 24-25
Spy theme gives a thrilling edge to Nancy's sleuthing. The stealth mission was fucking terrible. Overall I really liked it. Like the previous game, it picks a compelling theme and sticks with it. Learning Italian was fun too.

Axass

Previous posts: #1 - #2 - #3

OCTOBER

Game 61: Overlord - 3/5 - 25:46 hours (01/10/2017)
header.jpg

Finished the campaign as a hero, with 0% corruption, conquested the coliseum, fully upgraded the tower. Weird mix of RTS and third person action adventure that doesn't really shine in neither fields: the melee combat is pretty basic, magic can be useful but drains too quickly to be an asset you can rely on, while the manipulation of the horde involves some tactic but the controls for it are very janky. Mastering the RTS controls is crucial to win, but the minion AI is quite glitchy and a good amount of times you'll get angry at your servants for not doing what you want or getting stuck somewhere. The story is hardly interesting, and the characters are a gallery of evil misfits and caricatures, so the adventure feels more goofy than dramatic, even if you decide to commit heinous crimes. There's a nice amount of upgrades for your character and tower to find in a complex interconnected world, plenty of side quests and distractions. The graphics are fable-like but sorta uninspired, the audio is there but you won't even notice it. A deeper combat system and more fleshed out minion system would have made this fresh idea into a far greater game.

Game 62: Flower - 3/5 - around 03:00 hours (07/10/2017)
nv13Mkj.jpg

Game 63: Hollow Knight - 5/5 - 40:00 hours (xx/xx/2017)
header.jpg

Burglekutt

Completed. Here's a recap.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227815833&postcount=394

Here we go!!!!

(52/52)

January
1. Diablo 3(PS4)-Started from scratch and completed main campaign and expansion.
2. Here They Lie -Genuinely creepy/disturbing atmosphere but not a very good game.
3. Titanfall 2- Just a casual FPS fan but wow was that a great campaign.
4. Loading Human- I payed half price and still felt like i paid to much. Buggy game with bad controls/story/puzzles.
5. Valiant Hearts- Wow, this one was great. fun little puzzles and loved the story/characters.
6. A Boy and His Blob- A fun and charming adventure game with puzzles that make you think but aren't hard enough to be frustrating
7. Limbo- a 2d black and white game that seems more gruesome than most AAA action and horror games
8. Until Dawn:Rush of Blood- Good on-rails shooter. Crazy giant spiders and the last level got real crazy. If you have PSVR, I recommend.
9. Tearaway Unfolded- Fun platformer oozing with charm.
10. Resident Evil Vll- Played the whole game in VR. If there is a VR killer app out then this is it. Amazing experience.

February
11. Abzu- Not much in terms of gameplay but wow is it beautiful.
12. Infamous: First Light -Was interested in this game and actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
13. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - Pretty fun game, good campaign but I still liked Titanfall 2 better.
14. Little Big Planet 3- OK game, short main campaign, fun to check out what other people have created.
15. Never Alone- Annoying when your AI controlled partner dies on their own but otherwise a solid platformer.
16. How We Soar- It was alright but it felt like I was flying on slow motion the entire time
17. The Last Guardian- Its a pain in the ass 95% of the time due to terrible controls but it has one hell of an ending
18. Dishonored- Great Game. I wanted to play it again because I'm planning on playing the sequel in the near future.
19. Tales From the Borderlands- Most fun I have had with a Telltale game that i have played.

March
20. Trine: Enchanted Edition- Fun puzzle platformer. I loved how the backgrounds of the game looked.
21. Strider- Really fun metroidvania game. Check it out.
22. Journey- Visually looks great. I dont think I'd have liked it as much without the multiplayer aspect to it.
23. The Last of Us Remastered- Good game. Gameplay shares a lot of similarities to Uncharted but I found this more fun.
24. Trine 2- Not much innovation, just more of what the original did which isn't bad at all.
25. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris- Ok game. I wouldnt pay money for it but its alright for a ps plus game.

April
26. Batman: A Telltale Series- Huge performance issues, otherwise exactly what you'd expect from a Telltale game.
27. Stick it to the Man- Ok game. I really dont have a strong opinion of it one way or another.
28. Transformers Devastation- This might have been the first Platinum game I've played. It had surprisingly fun combat.
29. Assault Android Cactus - Really fun twin stick shooter.
30. Mortal Blitz - A really fun, but short, PSVR shooter. If you can find some space, the ability to move around adds to the fun
31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan - Same formula as Transformers. Good gameplay, repetitive enviroments.
32. Counterspy- Pretty fun 2.5D stealth action.

May
33. Assassins Creed: Freedom Cry- Just like Assassins Creed Black Flag. Mostly fun game with great sailing and frustrating controls on land
34. The Legend of Korra- I heard bad things about this game but I really enjoyed it. Absolutely worth it if you grab it on sale.
35. Gravity Rush Remastered- Really fun game. Love the gravity mechanic. Glad i picked it up during the sale.
36. Time Machine VR- Its like they created a couple of underwater enviroments, threw a few dinosaurs in it and then tried to make a game around it. Not recommended.
37. Farpoint- Amazing. Really enjoyed the game and the Aim controller was a blast to use.
38. Fated: Silent Oath- Short and no smooth turning option. Other than that it was outstanding.
39. Marvel Heroes Omega- Completed all chapters in story mode. Fun Diablo style game. Was able to beat it without spending a dime.

June
40. Uncharted 4 - I'm not a huge fan of the series but still enjoy them somewhat. This is more of the same, good story, fun characters and ok gameplay.

July
41.Roundabout- You are a limo driver that drives in circles instead of straight, It was featured on websites for its live action cutscenes, It was worth what I paid for it, less than $2.
42. Infamous: Second Son- Had no interest in this game until I played First Light and I really enjoyed it.

August
43. Super Hot VR- Amazing. Makes you feel like an action hero. A must play for any VR enthusiast.
44. Eagles Flight- Pretty fun flying around a deserted Paris. The aerial combat was really fun.
45. God of War III Remastered- Fun combat, mediocre platforming, hated the story and characters.
46. Trine 3: Artifacts of Power-didnt like having to unlock levels by collecting items and had a cliffhanger ending but otherwise enjoyable.
47. Ratchet and Clank- Great platformer/shooter. Really enjoyed the variety of weapons and upgrade system.
48. Statik- Fun puzzle game for PSVR. Really cool how they throw you in situations without explanations and just let you figure it out.
49. Until Dawn- Amazing game. Really impressive how they managed to blend so many different horror genres together.

September
50. Rise of the Tomb Raider- unpopular opinion but while there are things I like about Uncharted more I like the rebooted Tomb Raider more.
51. Batman: Arkham Asylum- Button mashy combat, detective view and inaccurate controls should have ended up as a bad game. This game is better than the sum of its parts.

October
52. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier- Enjoy them even though Telltale sucks at writing interesting characters, They seem to write a certain number of them just to be nothing more than assholes.

ffvorax

September - 69h

Game52: Planescape Torment: Numenera - 21h - 8/10 - PS4
I loved the previous game so I was waiting a lot for this. So first the bad: the kickstarter promised Italian translation, but actually the developer said a couple of week BEFORE release, that there were no ita translation due to how big the text was... they couldn't have managed this worse than that. They offered refund, but non-sense to say this so late... talking about the game, it's actually hard to keep on all the information not in my native language, because the game is huge and too often use new terms for everything, even battles are called "crisis":.. this add more difficulty at the already huge amount of informations you have to acquire. The combat is not brilliant, but the writing it is, and so are the multiple choices and way you can play it... so the game is long but actually looks way small than planned, the map that come with the physical game is a huge proof of that, and the kickstarter too... ok enough talk, the game is beautiful but really difficult to master all the info about the story, hope they will support this in the future
Oh PS4 (Pro here) version has long loading times 10-15 seconds to change a zone, and this is something you will do often, and worse if you load a game... also there are many slow downs during fights... considering the kind of game and graphic I expect it to be super smooth. I wanted to do a second play, but these will keep me to wait hoping for a future patch...

Game53: Infamous Second Son - 9h - 8.0/10 - PS4
Got free with PsPlus. I enjoyed the first infamous and less the sequel. Never thought to really buy this, so free is welcome. The game is ok, it's very good if I consider as a launch game of the console. Nice graphic and fluid gameplay. The story is really crap, and so are the characters... Overall a decent game if not a launch game I would have given it a 7.5 at max. I found fun to roam around the city getting collectibles, the powers available are overall fun, but not enough different, at least the game world don't make them so useful to change between each other

Game54: Altered Beast - 2h - 7.0/10 - Android
Thx to the new SEGA games available on Android I had the opportunity to play again this classic. First, the controls are as bad as I remembered, but as in the past I find some feeling with this game... I love to acquire the spheres to transform in a powerful monster! :D A so-so beat em up with an original mechanic and fun bosses!

Game55: Crazy Taxi - 2h - 7.0/10 - Android
Loved to play this on the Arcade.... it is less fun on the smartphone, but the formula is genius. Driving like crazy on the city to take people to their destionation... simple idea but well implemented!

Game56: Ristar 2h - 8.5/10 - Android
Ok this is one of the best platform I ever played, I loved it on my Game Gear (now is dead... :( ), so it was fantastic to have the possibility to play it again! The touch controls are not the best for this game, but I still enjoy it... the soundtrack, the graphic style, the levels... this game is super, I want to really PAY for a decent version on PS4/PSVITA! Please SEGA! Do it!

Game57: SuperHot VR 4h - 8.5/10 - PSVR
So basically a virtual reality inside a virtual reality. The shooting and the slowmotion mecanic are AWESOME, also you stay put in one place, but have actually to move a lot to avoid projectiles and defeat the horde of enemies... the game is genius, the simple graphic is perfect as it is. Really a great idea, I will go back to it soon to play the challenges

Game58: RIGS 4h - 8.5/10 - PSVR
Usually I don't like competitive games, but after I got how to play it... maybe it's because of the VR, but wow. Really the atmosphere, the music before the match and the comments on the headphones... it looks really like if you are playing a real match. A shame that online is desert... but also offline there is much to do, really great, I will come back to this too soon, I just played the first championship but after I didn't uninstall it, just wait to finish some other games or do some matches here and there

Game59: Neptunia Rebirth 3rd 25h - 8.0/10 - PSVITA
After the second disappointing game, I waited a lot to buy this... finally I played and enjoyed. There are the same assets, chars and locations... but this time the story is better and the char addition are nice (plutia :D)! At the end the VITA edition of the game is the best you can get, and 2 out of 3 are decent games with a lot of humor.
So is a thumb up for me, I already know that the follow up is another more of the same, but I will eventually buy it on PS4 when the price is right.

October- 14h

Game60: Hatoful Boyfriend 4h - 7.5/10 - PSVITA
What a strange little novel... thx psplus! I really liked it, it's strange but funny, and also has its moments... never thought i could have liked it...

Game61: Farpoint 6h - 7.0/10 - PSVR
The Aim Controller is great, the game... mmm... start super slow but with a nice plot, then it became super quick on everything... they messed up completely the pacing. The game overall is so-so, but with the aim is fun, on the end in particular.

Game62: Hue 4h - 7.0/10 - PSVITA
Another PSPLUS free game... the colour puzzles are ok, not too hard and quite fun to solve... but the story is so-so... I like the commentary between levels, but it was a bit inconsistent... zero replayability and quite short. The art is nice and polished.

62 Games played - 619h

PS4 - 25
PSVR - 8
PSVITA - 14
3DS - 2
Android - 13

In progress:
Darkest Dungeon (vita & ps4)
Danganronpa V3 (vita)

I want to clarify my votes are based on my personal like on the games! :)

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

OCTOBER

miWJ4uz.jpg

Playstation 4

Best gameplay of the trilogy, probably worst story. Still an utter thrill to blast through though. As I said, the story seems a little bit of a shoulder shrug and just made a mess of the originals tale, but the gameplay is so satisfying. The remaster doesn't seem to add too much on the original, but I'm happy I picked it up on the PSN sale.
7/10

NHale

Game 38 - NBA 2K18: The Prelude ★☆☆☆☆
As a taster for the main mode in the game, the game fails flat on their face with silly cutscenes and set up for the career, while also showing the increasing impact of microtransactions within the mode. Gameplay might have improved but My Career couldn't be much worse than this.

Game 39 - Downwell ★★★☆☆
As someone that struggled to make it very far into the game, I still found it one of the better of the rogue like games. Reflexes are very important and while items can make a run end fast or prolong it for a while, it's not as random as other similar games.

Game 40 - Black & White Bushido ★★☆☆☆
A worthy couch co-op/versus game if only for the light/shadow mechanic. Lack of modes and maps make this a short experience until you get burned by it though.

Falchion

Original Post

35) Uncharted - The Lost Legacy - 7 hours - 10/2
This picked right up where Uncharted 4 left off quality wise for me. I absolutely loved my playthrough and the ending set piece was one of the best of the series. Also loved getting more Chloe since I really hated her absence in 4.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 51
Mass Effect Andromeda
PS4
It wasn't as bad as I had heard, but not as good as I had hoped. I particularly hated the twin thing and wanted to fucking kill myself everytime they said pathfinder. Also upset my choices didn't seem to matter at all.

Game 52
Metroid: Samus Returns
3DS
100%ed the game. So good. I missed Metroid. I really liked that it kept me on my toes, the enemies were actually threatening. Love that it sets up a new game too.

And I'm done :)
Original Post

Main Post

12. Metroid: Samus Returns - 13 hours - 9/10
1MvyZmY.png

Really great Metroid game. Beat it 100%. Brought the 2D series back with modern controls and refined gameplay. Being a remake it was obviously held back in what it can do, and the linear progression of Metroid 2 hurt it, but they did great considering the source. Also has the best boss fights in the 2D series.

13. Ys Origin - 23 hours - 8/10
zXVC8mn.png

This was a neat little game. Fun but simple combat, with boss fights that really make the most of the games systems. Played through with all three characters, enjoyed how the story diverged, and different characters had different fates depending on the protagonist, but ultimately it was pretty repetitive having to play the game three times to get the proper story. Only played Ys 1 and 2 before this, so excited to keep moving on with the series.

Azriell

Complete List

Just Cause 3
Platform: PS4
Time: ??:??
Date: 10.03
Score: (3/5)

I thoroughly enjoyed my first dozen or so hours with Just Cause 3. Getting around in a Just Cause game has never felt better thanks to the intuitive hook, parachute, and wingsuit controls. Using the tethers to destroy stuff is a lot of fun, and it was really satisfying to fly over a base with a helicopter and blow things up. Liberating towns and bases got old fast, unfortunately, but then there are challenges. The challenges kept things interesting for awhile and I liked how they provide you useful upgrades. Even these distractions get old eventually, and it was then that I turned my sights on the missions.

I wish I could say the missions were the highlight of the game that they should be. It would be nice to rave about how the missions take all the best ideas of Just Cause 3 and distill them down into something amazing. Unfortunately, the missions turn out to be one of the worst parts of the game. More than any other part of the game, mission rely on shooting, which is probably the worst part of the game. And while destruction and locomotion abilities are the best parts of the game, these are almost always entirely absent from missions. Oh, and don't get me started on the story or characters.

At the end of the day, Just Cause 3 is a pretty fun sandbox but a pretty boring game. In many ways, Just Cause 3 feels more like a tech demo or a foundation than a proper game. I'm sure I'll check out whatever comes next from Avalanche, but I can't imagine ever spending this much time with another Just Cause if they don't get serious about improving the core gameplay.

CheeseNubs

Neo Member
Main Post

36: Back to Bed - Date = Sept. 25; Difficulty = N/A; Rating = 5/10
47uNPWD.jpg

not a bad game but super short. it's a puzzle game where you guide a sleepwalker to his bed. there are two chapters with 15 levels each. after you beat them you unlock two more chapters that are 'Nightmare' difficulty, but as far as i can tell the only new feature is that now you have to get a key before you guide the dude to his bed.

37: Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D. - Date = Sept. 26; Difficulty = Medium; Rating = 6/10
ITilmjP.jpg

After finishing Opposing Force I was in the mood for some more Half-Life. I saw this Half-Life mod in the recommended section and I figured I'd give it a whirl. I enjoyed it but it was way too short. It didn't even take an hour to complete. I hope the modders keep at it and eventually make their own games.

38: Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony - Date = Oct. 1; Difficulty = N/A; Rating = 6/10
PrV2t71.jpg

Finally got around to beating the second dlc for GTA IV. Both were pretty boring mission and story wise. The PC controls suck for flying as well and for some reason on the last mission it was nearly impossible to control the bike. It just kept spinning out on me.

39: Papers, Please - Date = Oct. 1; Difficulty = N/A; Rating = 6/10
RZCZpyz.jpg

I don't really have a whole lot to say about this game. I enjoyed the short amount of time I put into it, but I feel no need to go for the other endings.

40: Remember Me - Date = Oct. 3; Difficulty = Errorist Agent; Rating = 6/10
YwCmMmK.jpg

I have similar thoughts on this game as I do on Spec Ops: The Line. They both have mediocre gameplay and an intriguing story with a disappointing ending. Although, I do like Remember Me more.

Krooner

The Evil Within - The Assignment & The Consequence

Enjoyed both of these, took about six hours to get though and a nice change of pace from the main game. I tried 'The Executioner' too, but it wasn't for me. I'm going to count these as one game,

Azriell

Complete List

Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins
Platform: Gameboy
Time: 4:00
Date: 10.04
Score: (4/5)

I'm kind of blown away by how many good ideas are in this game that were just dropped from the series. The difficulty walks a fine line, and is just enough to make it worthwhile to grab every coin you can. Speaking of coins, gone are the free 1ups per 100 coins. Instead, players can gamble coins away for 1ups and powerups. The player is also awarded for killing 100 enemies, which seems like an obvious thing that should be in Mario games. This is also the only Mario game I know of where reaching for the high point at the level's exit (e.g. the flag in most Marios, or the bar thing in SMW) gives you a reward--a timing minigame where you can win a 3-up or a powerup.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, however. While most of the provides a good level of difficulty, Wario's Castle (the final level) is obnoxiously hard. To make it worse, if you die at any point, including on any of Wario's three forms, you start the entire level over again. And to add insult to injury, if you run out of lives, you lose the titular six golden coins necessary to enter Wario's castle, and you have to regain them. While I would normally say this is a pretty great motivater to not get a gameover for most of the game, it feels cheap and overly punishing once you reach Wario's Castle (an area that needs no further punishment).

All in all it's a fun game. I'm very happy I finally got around to playing it.

OP

---

k8gPbrl.png

Game 48 - Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today (PS4) - 3.5/5 - 2 hours, 23 minutes

Pretty solid point and click horror game. There is a sequel hook so I hope that is followed up on at some point. I don't think there's really been any news so far though.

bpxgNkt.png

Game 49 - Deadlight: Director's Cut (PS4) - 2.5/5 - ~4 hours

Starts off well enough but really starts to fall apart the more time you spend with it. Some pretty rough design in that there's multiple trial and error moments and adding in the fact that the controls aren't the greatest to begin with it gets pretty bad.

Was going to go for 100% but Nightmare mode looks like a miserable experience with the way the gameplay in this is. I'm not going to bother.

Ol6qKIz.png

Game 50 - Goosebumps: the Game (PS4) - 3/5 - 1 hour, 43 minutes

Pretty solid for what it is. I didn't spend a huge amount of time with Goosebumps growing up so maybe my appeal was lessened but this was still pretty fun.

All about more point and click type games on consoles so bring it on.

y9yMkFi.png

Game 51 - Jurassic Park: the Game (PS3) - 1.5/5 - ~6 hours

It's a Telltale game so you know what you're getting, I guess. This was probably my least favorite of those other than Game of Thrones.

Some of the QTEs are an absolute mess to get through when the game is locking up/skipping like it does.

Dyna

My main post.

JiIb9A7.png

30 | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc | PS Vita
25 hours | Completed Sept. 28th

This was a bit of an impulse purchase, I picked it up for cheap without knowing anything about it but to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through! A really cool murder mystery visual novel. At first I was a bit skeptical because the game is very anime-like but the more I played it the more I grew to like the characters and the story developments even though there were some cliche anime tropes here and there. I like how the game constantly subverts your expectations with the murder cases and instead of being a full-on visual novel there's also lots of "traditional" gameplay throughout the game. The game is very lengthy for what it is but it didn't bother me at all, I was glued to the screen no matter what. The soundtrack is also fucking amazing, I loved all the class trial tracks, gets me so pumped up to solve the mystery haha. I can't really think of anything I actually disliked in the game, but when I first started playing I thought there would be some ways to affect the characters' fates and miss some things in the investigation phase etc. but turns out the game is pretty much 100% linear and you can't change the outcomes of the cases. It was a bit of a bummer when I realized that, but at the end of the day the game was still a super fun, thrilling ride. I've got to get my hands on the sequels now.

qUiTWi6.png

31 | Cuphead | PC
17 hours | Completed Oct. 3rd

Cuphead was one of my most anticipated games for this year (and last year... and 2015...) and I'm really pleased to say that it honestly delivered in every way. My biggest fear was that it would be a very short game but fortunately this was not the case as there was plenty of challenge and replayability in the levels. I got stuck in quite a few boss fights for some time but managed to beat every level on regular and I didn't really feel too frustrated even when dying a lot because the game is so goddamn gorgeous. The artstyle is the main event here and it's fucking top notch, can't praise it enough. The animation and the enemy designs are also wonderful, so detailed and authentic looking. Soundtrack is great too (that King Dice theme, oh man), honestly everything about this game is just great. If I had to nitpick a little I'd say there should be an option to have visible health bars for the bosses and online co-op would be amazing. All around great game that lived up to the expectations, at least in my opinion. Here's hoping they make a sequel!

original post

Game 34: Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) - n/a

Vor langer Zeit lebten die Menschen glücklich und zufrieden.™

I usually wasn't the biggest fan of classic Castlevania compared to what came later, so I originally bought this for cheap to have a physical version of Symphony of the Night. Turns out though, this actually quite grabbed me. I originally didn't like the slow nature of old linear Castlevania, but this game introduced so many QOL improvements, that I could enjoy it for what it is. Apart from small changes like secondary weapon changing or more flexible stair controls, the most important aspect was the drastic reduction of bullshit punishments. There's no more artificial death pits in vertical levels when the camera moves up, dramatically less annoying enemy placements, and so forth. There's actual payoff for methodical gameplay and significantly less arbitrary reasons for one's death. On top of that, the soundtrack might be even better than in your usual Castlevania affair. Technically, there's also somewhat of an easy mode, available through an unlockable secondary character. Speaking of which, this game has a nice amount of unlockables and secrets, despite its linear nature. However, I'm not too fond of the IGA-esque "real ending", which is too cryptic to get and forces repetition upon you.

Game 35: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP) - n/a

The original game is slightly harder in places, but less of a hassle to get to the real ending. The soundtrack and spritework hold up well enough. I'm not sure which version I prefer. The PSP remake has the superior style that tries to blend with Symphony of the Night, but in this game it's easier to spot secrets, because the graphics are clearer.

Game 36: Super Castlevania IV (SNES replay) - 5 hours

I haven't played this game in quite a while, but I remember not being that blown away by it. I think Rondo of Blood is better, but this title actually grew on me too. There's some cheap bullshit especially by the end, but I appreciated the slow gameplay more than back in the day. Unlike later entries, this game also still had more of a lowkey gothic atmosphere.

theBmZ

Original Post

23. Destiny 2 - 8/10. 46 hours
Destiny 2 is an interesting game. It's a sequel, but in almost every way, it feels like a reboot of the series. The story(there is a story this time) begins with a reset of your characters and just about every system in the game has been rethought and reworked. The result is a much less frustrating, and more rewarding experience. Things move at a much faster pace. There are so many ways to progress. I haven't been able to do any of the endgame stuff like nightfalls or raids. I have been playing mostly solo and still have had a blast with it. My biggest criticism is that there are a ton of reused assets and enemies. Not a lot new except for the story, which is solid at best. It's a reboot of the first game with all the gameplay elements more well thought out to better serve the player. It's still Destiny at it's heart. Fun shooting, loot grind, great co-op experiences, fantastic music. It's the Destiny game we should have gotten three years ago.

24. Gone Home 10/10. 3 hours
Wow. What a great little game this is. Walking simulators have a bit of a bad rap, sometimes for good reason. This game is a walking simulator done perfect. You arrive at your home to find your family is missing. You search the home to put together the mystery of what has happened. The story that reveals itself is something I wouldn't dare spoil. The game plays like a horror game. Bad weather outside lasts the entire game with constant rain and random thunder and lightning. The house is dark and creepy with creaky wood flooring and spider webs in rarely used secret passages. The thing the game does brilliantly is play with your expectations, sometimes to great emotional effect. The story was thoroughly engaging and kept me wanting to explore every nook and cranny till I put it all together. The game isn't long and is best played in one sitting. I'm not sure if I'll play it again. But it's definitely a game I'll be thinking about for quite a while.

Main post part 2

-------

43. Peggle Deluxe - 3 hours
This game is officially my second PopCap game i've ever managed to finish. First one was PvZ, i tried to beat Zuma lately but it's still frigging hard and stressful for me. On the other hand, Peggle is much more relaxing game, no goddamn time limits is huge makes a huge difference.

Tizoc

It's been a while hasn't it? :V

header.jpg

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah...that ending is something.
Great soundtrack though and the usual DR wackiness is still there. I quite enjoyed the puzzle mini games more than the previous games too.

Game 37: Donkey Kong Country (SNES replay) - 3 hours

It's still pretty good, but the sequel improved upon everything. Level design got tighter and more varied and the series' atmosphere found its full identity later on. I still played through this game in almost one sitting though. I guess some might prefer the jungle ambience over the wackier sequels. And while it is nice, I always thought it kind of clashes with where DK comes from. The best platforming comes towards the end, while worst part of DKC1 is the overblown use of barrel shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom