• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2020.

marcincz

Game 45 - Control (XBO) - 15h 02m
Beat 09/09/2020 - my score: ★★★☆

Game 46 - Cities: Skylines (XBO) - 34h 02m

Beat 10/09/2020 - my score: ★★★

Game 47 - Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden (XBO) - 17h 37m

Beat 16/09/2020 - my score: ★★★☆

Game 48 - Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - DLC Seed of Evil (XBO) - 05h 54m

Beat 18/09/2020 - my score: ★★★☆

Game 49 - Gris (PS4) - 03h 34m

Beat 21/09/2020 - my score: ★★★

IKSTUGA

74. Yakuza 5, 8/10
+ great combat
+ taxi driving + eurobeat
+ some epic story moments
- lack of story focus
- way too fucking long
- final playable character isn't very interesting

75. THPS 1+2, 10/10
+ great soundtrack
+ super tight controls and feel
+ fun challenge list
+ create a park mode is super well done
+ Tony Hawk is back!!!
- longish loading times (ps4)
- some of the basic objectives are not that fun to do (eg. collect 5 robot toys etc.)

76. Resident Evil 7, 9/10
+ creepy atmosphere
+ fun puzzles and level design
+ awesome boss battles
+ End of Zoe DLC
- Chris Redfield
- lack of enemy types
- boat section felt kinda dragged out

77. Super Mario Sunshine, 8/10
+ variety of movement options
+ Mario moves fast
+ nice summer vibes
+ FLUDDless levels
- camera
- too many unfun bs shines

78. Super Mario Galaxy, 10/10
+ feels magical
+ super fun level design, they totally nailed the gravity aspect
+ one of the best soundtracks of all time
+ Mario controls extremely well
+ Switch version doesn't require as much waggle as the original
+ looks amazing in HD
- a bit too easy
79. Uncharted: Lost Legacy, 7/10
+ it's Uncharted (awesome visuals and set pieces)
- it's Uncharted (been there done that)
- poor cast, Chloe sucks as a main character
- the driving section (they decided to bring back the most annoying part about U4...)

80. Ratchet and Clank (2016), 9/10
+ awesome visuals
+ awesome weapons (pixelator is goat)
+ short and sweet
- Clank sections and hacking puzzles were a bit overused

Last edited:
Main Post

64. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Wii U) - 6/10

At times boring, at times frustrating and hard to say if it was any fun at all. I have fond (some angry) memories of NGB and NGII and this doesn't hold a candle to my memories in any way. The story was pathetic and of the bosses were just a pain to play through. It felt very button mashy where the others you really needed skill to get to the end. I think it's worst sin is that I barely remember anything about it and I just played it.

65. Banjo-Kazooie (Xbox One) - 9/10

This was a lot of fun to play through! I only made it a few worlds in during my younger years and it was a blast to get every jiggy in the game. There were definitely some difficult parts in the end and the controls/camera didn't always help. I really didn't like the flying move...but overall the charm and fun of this game shine through. I think it holds up really well.

66. LittleBigPlanet (PS3) - 8/10

Another one off the backlog. I enjoyed it and got used to the super floaty jumps after a while. I was shocked at how difficult the end levels grew to be. I always just thought it was a simple game to play and the real fun was the user made levels. While the user levels are still the gem of this...the story levels are no slouch either. The level near the end in the spinning wheel really took some patience. Solid game.

67. The Walking Dead: Season 2 (Xbox One) - 8/10

I think it is time that I catch up on the remaining seasons of TWD. I felt this was a solid follow-up to Season 1 but still missing something. It's also super depressing almost the entire way. Curious to see where S3/4 and the Michonne ep go from here.

68. LEGO Jurassic World (PS4) - 8/10

Have played this on and off for years and it's a lot of fun. I am a huge fan of JP and mostly a fan of TLW. JP III is meh and JW is ok. They were all fun to play through in lego form though. I think the voices and weird ellie grunts were a mistake though. Does anyone ever 100% these things?

69. Double Dragon (NES) - 6/10

2 lives to make it through 4 levels...should be easy enough. Just kidding, level 3 will wipe you out and level 4 introduces a boss with a machine-gun. This game was brutal. Were there jumping/platform sections in the arcade game? I only played DD 2 and 3 on the NES in the old days and this was really rough. If you are into really retro old/hard beat em ups, it's worth a quick challenge.

70. Owlboy (Switch) - 8/10

I don't know if I fully get the acclaim this got but I really did enjoy it. The ending was really good too. Some levels are super easy and others the controls tend to be a pain. In the end it is a pretty solid platformer with great music and pixel art. I found the graphics looked much better on the tv versus the handheld.

71. LOVE (Switch) - 7/10

Feel a little bad including this. I picked it up for $0.25 a few weeks back and played it through pretty quick. You start with 100 lives and think that is enough but by the end I think I had 3-4 remaining. It's pretty short but there is a lot to like here. Just solid platforming and nothing else.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Original Completions

EQgZ8Px.png

This game was Meh to the biggest degree. At first I thought it was a step up from I am setsuna but after a while I thought it just started to drag on. Everything was bland, Characters, Story, Quest, Worlds. I was happy to archive this one.

c14d8bH.png

I wont go into detail. Short 3 hour game but it is a beautiful game about love, loss and hope. Very depressing at times. Beautiful Pixel art.

PAmfL77.png

After about 9 hours of trying to get into it im done. Some great concepts but the blocking and parrying is irritating. Only 3 maps. Better to play Splatoon.

yQ4dqLQ.png

50h-ish. Normal difficulty, Patriarch Ending, Rangers stay in Colorado, sided with Machine Commune/The Bizarre. Spoilers unmarked from here on.

Now that Microsoft has bought Bethesda, they really need to think about the possibility of giving the Fallout franchise to InXile. Wasteland 3 is the best Fallout game I've played in a while, and I liked Fallout 4. It has everything - dry, biting humor, shameless gore and violence, a realistic, compelling wasteland setting... it has it all. The gameplay is somewhere between Fallout, Fallout Tactics and XCom, leaning more towards the latter, since cover is king and the fights can get really tactical.

What I particularly liked was the fact that what you do in the world actually matters. Lots of times I regretted my choices later on. For example, I thought siding with the Machine Commune was the "goody two shoes" option, but it turns out that by wiping out the Gippers you cut out Colorado's oil supply and are automatically locked out of the best ending. This is one of the most obvious choices, but there are lots of minor choices that have a significant impact in the plot and I really think that Obsidian could take lessons from these guys.

Unfortunately the game is (was?) plagued with bugs, some annoying (Crashes, medpacks disappearing from the quick slots in use) and some heartbreaking (The game changed difficulties to Rookie sometime before the final battle, with me unable to switch it back). This, together with the poor optimization (load times were horrendous on an expensive NVME) so because of this I feel compelled to remove a star. Feel free to add it back if the bugs are fixed or if they don't trouble you too much.

My Score: ★★★★

Original post

C7sQ3cc.png

7h-ish. Normal difficulty.

I have heard lots of people say that Titanfall 2's campaign is something else, maybe one of the best in the genre ever - and I mostly agree. I feared that playing as a Pilot would be boring when you were out of your Titan, but I think I actually preferred the Pilot segments. The parkour was really well done and the gunplay made you feel really powerful. The game was a bit short and easy in Normal mode though, I might want to replay it in a higher difficulty.

If you need to crossreference it with something else, think this is 75% Killzone and 25% Halo, with a generous sprinkling of Mirror's Edge and a side of Mechwarrior. It's dirt cheap right now so I'd definitely recommend it even if you're not interested in multiplayer, like me.

Original post

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
iu

Game 45 - Ghost of Tsushima - PlayStation 4 - Completed Sep 29th, 2020
I've been playing this game a few months (since launch) and I've put around 80 hours into completing it. The game is most excellent, and held my attention for the fair majority of the time I spent with it. The beginning of the game is a masterclass in storytelling, which is why it was kinda weird how everything more or less fell apart in the last act. A weak third act doesn't really knock many points off my scale for this game, but it is disappointing nonetheless. I liberated every outpost and upgraded every weapon, armor, and bag of holding. I completed every "Tale of Tsushima" as well as all of the side quests. I completed all the optional quests and visited every location in the game. This game is easily in my top five games of 2020.

hgTLCde.png

47:45h. Normal difficulty. All 119 substories complete. Around 39% completion (Oh Yakuza...)

Yakuza 3 is where the series decided to stop pretending to be a serious crime drama and became the silly grandstanding self-parody that we know and love. Long lost twin brothers, overly complicated political plots, evil CIA agents, assassination plans involving a fucking helicopter gatling a dude in the middle of the biggest city in the world, an out of shape old man taking a literal horn by the bulls (AND WINNING) ... I've heard the original head writer for the Yakuza series left after Yakuza 2, and it shows. I'm not complaining at all, I like Yakuza the most when it's at its goofiest.

This also means, though, that Yakuza 3 is not as well defined as its predecessors or its sequels. It doesn't embrace craziness like Yakuza 4 to 6 (7?) and takes itself a bit too seriously. The substories are... fine, nothing reaching "Be my baby" levels of memorability (there WAS a memorable substory series, but it was removed because 2020) and the fight system was in dire lack of refinement (which was luckily attained by later games). Moreover, the segments where you simply do chores around the orphanage are nice and they help us learn the softer side of Kiryu, but they drag for way too long.

On the technical side, it's surprising how good Y3 looks for an early PS3 game. The 1080p/60fps treatment did it a lot of good, though it also created some new problems (Haruka the children's goose-stepping walk in in-game cutscenes is simply hilarious) but Kamuro looks great and full of life and, as somebody that has spent half his life in an overseas territory, Okinawa does have that "islander" feel to it. It's easy to forget you're playing an 11 year old game until you see the textures in close-ups.

Yakuza 3 was my first Yakuza. After replaying it with the shitton of Yakuza experience I have now, I can tell it's still a fucking good game. But might be the worst Yakuza, a bit behind Yakuza 6.

Original post

Last edited:
PXyUnTo.png

5h-ish. Normal difficulty. All 13 Garrisons liberated. Didn't bother much with collectibles.

I don't have a problem with comedic games. In fact, I love when a game makes me laugh. The problem with Blood Dragon is the same problem that the whole Far Cry saga has: it thinks it's far smarter than it really is. Most of the jokes are just... ok. Some of them are cringy. Also, while you're playing the game is your typical humorless FPS; most of the humour come in the CGIs (can you even call them that?) between levels, which sometimes are pretty long.

Fortunately, the shooting is solid, the gameplay loop is as good as in Far Cry 3, which makes Blood Dragon a good candidate if you want to artificially inflate your 52 games list by purposefully beating short games from your backlog play something short and light between RPGs or something.

My Score: ★★★

Original post

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Completions.

3UH8AJY.png

At the suggestion of jshackles jshackles went through and started playing the old supergiant games. Bastion was fantastic I love everything about their games from the music to the narration to the art. Looking forward to finishing a transistor.

lZlLiWB.png

I have had 0 interest in roguelike games but hades was phenomenal I always looked forward to going back and check out different dialogue and story. This game never overstays its welcome and I look forward to revisiting to unlock the true ending when I clear other games.

7evQkd4.png

These were probably the worst Final Fantasy games for me. Couldn't find the x-2 icon but I guess this counts as two games. Final Fantasy X had the worst leveling system and I hated the sphere grid. I guess I like seeing my numbers go up after battles. The characters were bland for me and a little corny. Setting was fantastic and beautiful CGI cutscenes/environment.

X-2 was something. Really the only positive thing I have to say about it was it was a neat take on the battle system.

Working on XII now and it has quickly moved up to one of my favorite Final Fantasies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
header.jpg

Game 46 - Hades - Nintendo Switch - Completed Oct 9th, 2020
This game. Everything about this game is a solid 10/10 - the art style, the voice acting, the music, the whole package. I'm a huge fan of Supergiant's other games (except Pyre, which was lame) and this one is better than both Bastion and Transistor. I finished the game and watched the credits roll, which means I won against Hades a total of ten times, which took me about 35 total runs through the game and about 40 hours of play time. The characters in this game were nuanced and really really well done. This is one of my favorite games of 2020.

SayJpYG.png

105 minutes.

The Blackwell Legacy doesn't feel like a game. It's more like a proof of concept, or a pilot. To be precise, it feels like something out of the Amiga demoscene. It's short, it's technically lacking everywhere, it introduces some great concepts but doesn't have enough time to take them anywhere, it has some terrible puzzles (Of the "Try everything" variety) and a nice setting that reminds me a lot of Wadjet Eye's newest game, Unavowed.

I don't feel comfortable scoring this. Terms of value for your money, I'd give it one star. But there are other 4 games in this series and so it's likely this is leading to something bigger.

My Score: N/A

Original post

ezR1Bhq.png

5h-ish. Hard difficulty.

RIVE is a swell little game that mixes stick shooting and 2d platforming and does it quite well. A great fit for the Switch, it's nonetheless short, so make sure you get it while it's on sale.

The setting is pretty interesting though the humor is pretty ho-hum at its best and cringeworthy at its worst. But the ending is surprisingly melancholic and might catch you unawares.

My Score: ★★★★☆

Original post

IKSTUGA

79. Uncharted: Lost Legacy, 7/10
+ it's Uncharted (awesome visuals and set pieces)
- it's Uncharted (been there done that)
- poor cast, Chloe sucks as a main character
- the driving section (they decided to bring back the most annoying part about U4...)

80. Ratchet and Clank (2016), 9/10
+ awesome visuals
+ awesome weapons (pixelator is goat)
+ short and sweet
- Clank sections and hacking puzzles were a bit overused
81. Yakuza 6, 10/10
+ awesome story
+ awesome cast of characters
+ it's Yakuza
+ great ending to Kiryu's saga
- no sub story tracker

82. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu, 8/10
+ hits the nostalgia bone
+ fun casual co-op game
+ bright and colorful visuals
+ it's Pokemon
- maybe a bit too easy and simple
- motion controls don't work properly all the time

83. Crash 4, 9/10
+ tight level design
+ tight controls
+ a lot of extra stuff to do and unlock
- frustratingly hard at times
- too many hidden crates, makes 100% completion a major pain in the ass

84. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2, 9/10
+ great level design
+ fun new characters
+ co-op
+ a lot of content for a small price
- some parts are a bit frustrating

85. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, 9/10
+ super fun with friends
+ a lot of content
- not very original

86. Super Mario 64, 9/10
+ it's a classic
+ has aged well in some areas
- hasn't aged well in some areas

Main Post

Doing better on beating games than I am updating. Just posting a quick list of what I knocked out.

71. LOVE (Switch) - 7/10
Short and fun. Worth the $.49 I paid for it.

72. Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) - 8/10
A much better game on the NES than the original. Hard but fair!

73. Castlevania (NES) - 9/10
A classic that holds up extremely well. It plays better than I remember.

74. Super Mario Bros. 35 (Switch) - 8/10
Finished 1st a few times after putting some time into this. Pretty addicting!

75. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS) - 8/10
A solid game. Doesn't reach the heights of the main Zelda games but it played well and had some pretty touch dungeons!

Last edited:
vR0PF3u.png

12h-ish.

I know some people consider kinetic novels more books than games, but meh, it's on Steam so it counts.

Himatsubushi is the latest, shortest and probably worst of the Question arcs. Apart from the ending and a brief event mid-game, there are hardly any supernatural elements: the story is instead mostly a police procedural, or a thriller. Instead of having a relaxed, humorous beginning and then deftly escalating the tension, in this game tensions are high since the intro and since most of the usual protagonists don't appear, neither do the slice-of-life hijinks they cause.

Higurashi's strong point is the escalation of a slice-of-life-comedy plot to something much darker. Himatsubushi fails at that, and while it presents a compelling plot, it's IMO the weakest link in the overarching structure of the When They Cry series so far, not counting joke arcs.

My Score: ★★★

Original post

Last edited:

marcincz

I am proud of myself. :)
I did it 2nd year in a row and 3rd time in last 5 years.

Game 50 - Far Cry 4 (PS4) - 22h 04m
Beat 30/09/2020 - my score: ★★★☆☆

Game 51 - Amplitude (PS2) - 02h 42m

Beat 03/10/2020 - my score: ★★★

Game 52 - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4) - 20h 49m

Beat 14/10/2020 - my score: ★★★

1Xg2SFG.png

22h-ish. Mostly 100% of the game, no Zone 4 stuff though. Spoilers from here on; it's impossible to talk about this game without spoilers.

I'm going to be sincere; I don't think I completely understand this game. This has one of the most dense plots I've ever experienced in a videogame. Think Steins; Gate + Serial Experiments Lain + The Matrix + Bokurano + Evangelion. The game is THICK with exposition, and if you leave the Visual Novel parts for last and do the RTS segments first, you are not going to know what the fuck is going on (I barely do now)

And yet... this is an example of anachronic storytelling done right. While you're technically free to select any of the 13 protagonists stories, 13 Sentinels railroads you delicately, blocking some parts before you're done with others which are in turn blocked until you see some events you need to see to understand what comes next. It's not subtle, but it doesn't feel forced either, and it works. By the end of Gouta's story, which is in turn the climax of the VN part, you should have a working knowledge of the plot and be ready for the denouement. The characters are a varied bunch, with intricate intertwined backgrounds, and they grow on you a lot during the course of the story. Of course, VanillaWare mastery of 2D also helps.

The RTS segments, though, are... just OK. They would have not worked as a standalone game: they're unspectacular, boring, and all too easy. I never needed to rest once in the whole campaign, and some abilities (The large missile, the flying drones, the turrets) are so overpowered that it's easy to break the game with them by buffing them up early. I only had trouble with the second-to-last mission, and "trouble" meant that I had to play conservatively and repair my Sentinels often, but I never was even close to losing.

I think this is a 5-star game because that's the way the plot made me feel, but on the playable side, this lacked some oomph. Maybe some 2d action segments VanillaWare style - that, and a RTS part with some more punch, and we would be talking about a GOTY candidate.

My Score: ★★★★★

Original post

Last edited:

jshackles

H2x1_SNES_SuperMarioWorld.jpg

Game 47 - Super Mario World - PC Retroachivements - Completed Oct 16th, 2020
I played through this as part of the newly formed SNES Club here on NeoGAF, and I challenged myself to complete the bonus of unlocking all 96 exits which I accomplished. I've done this dozens of times before but honestly probably not in the last 7-8 years. As always with Super Mario World, I had a lot of fun with this game and it plays exactly like I remember it playing when I was a young person. An extremely competent platformer that still holds up incredibly well today!

Phase

I think Grim Dawn and the original Mafia (PS2) are going to be my final games to complete this challenge. I've got to wait for a new ps2 controller to come in as multiple buttons don't work on the left side of my controller :messenger_downcast_sweat:.

I'm excited to see how many others start finishing their 52 for 2020!

jshackles

latest

Game 48 - Final Fantasy (Dawn of Souls) - Android Retroachievements - Completed Oct 21st, 2020
I decided to give my new Razor Kishi a shakedown by playing Final Fantasy I from the Dawn of Souls collection on the GBA. I chose playing in Retroarch because it recognizes the Kishi straight away and it integrates nicely with Retroachievements. I had played through this version of the game when it first came out on GBA but it's been... a while... since then. After the graphically superior PSP release I never felt the need to return to this one but overall I'm glad I did. The sprite work, although not as crisp as the PSP release, is really well done. The Kishi handled like a dream. The achievements were a nice, fun touch. My only real complaint is the "extra" dungeons being pretty boring. I finished 1.5 of the 4 and I had had enough, these things take an hour or more to traverse and the whole time you're fighting garbo enemies that don't give you barely any EXP. Meanwhile you get to the end and have to fight some pretty tough bosses but by the time I finished the first shine 4 times (to beat all the bosses) I could basically steamroll them. I would have liked to see a bit better enemy variety in the bonus dungeons, I suppose. Either way, the game is still a classic masterpiece and a fun RPG.

IKSTUGA

81. Yakuza 6, 10/10
+ awesome story
+ awesome cast of characters
+ it's Yakuza
+ great ending to Kiryu's saga
- no sub story tracker

82. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu, 8/10
+ hits the nostalgia bone
+ fun casual co-op game
+ bright and colorful visuals
+ it's Pokemon
- maybe a bit too easy and simple
- motion controls don't work properly all the time

83. Crash 4, 9/10
+ tight level design
+ tight controls
+ a lot of extra stuff to do and unlock
- frustratingly hard at times
- too many hidden crates, makes 100% completion a major pain in the ass

84. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2, 9/10
+ great level design
+ fun new characters
+ co-op
+ a lot of content for a small price
- some parts are a bit frustrating

85. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, 9/10
+ super fun with friends
+ a lot of content
- not very original

86. Super Mario 64, 9/10
+ it's a classic
+ has aged well in some areas
- hasn't aged well in some areas
87. Pokemon Shield, 9/10
+ it's pokemon
+ streamlined and fun
+ one of the best soundtracks in the series
+ Isle of Amor was better than I expected (cool layout and environments + Urshifu is awesome)
- looks like crap at times
- I still don't like dynamax too much (mega evolution was way better)

88. Hades, 9/10
+ best rogue game I've ever played and the only one I've actually beaten
+ plays great
+ looks great
+ sounds pretty great as well
- it's a rogue game, so repetition is the name of the game
- sometimes you get shit rng with boons

KEget2V.png

22h-ish. 85% of the game completed, Normal difficulty, Epilogue included. No DLC. Spoilers from here on.

While Shadow of War satisfactorily expands on the Shadow of Mordor plot, its sin is trying to do way too much and being way too busy. I know, this is basically what every open-world-mapfucking game does nowadays, but in the case of Shadow of War it becomes annoying. It's hard to actually feel you're completing stuff when all sorts of Nemesis and "radiant-style" quests keep popping up. Moreover, the difficulty curve is finely tuned so you have to do some optional content in order to have the necessary level and resources to proceed with the story. While I appreciate the sidequests were mostly good (I particularly liked Bruz and Carnán's) the Nemesis system gets really, really samey after a while.

I have to make an aside about the Epilogue. I've heard that when the game released, it was 10 stages of escalating difficulty. That's wild - currently it's only three stages and it's still harder than 90% of the game, to the point that I needed to grind a bit to be able to finish it. I can't see how 10 stages is beatable without grinding for weeks or purchasing MTX (wait...)

Anyway, lotwise, while this game does nothing new, I was surprised at how dark and bittersweet it becomes in acts 3 and 4. I'd love for some stuff introduced in SoM to be canon. Isildur being a nazgul? Celebrimbor having its own evil agenda? Mordor being besieged by a third party that prevented Sauron from gathering full steam for years? Those are nice ideas that would fit nicely in the LOTR canon. Of course, you just can't rewrite Tolkien. It'd be almost sacrilegious. But still, I think the writers did a good job.

So basically, Shadow of War is a total 7-8 AA game. Nice graphics, repetitive gameplay, a bit better story than most, and an innovative endgame marred by some greedy decisions. Worth a play if you're a LOTR fan (and if you're reading this you probably are)

Original post

Last edited:
pEZzojb.png

5h-ish.

Katana Zero is a game from the "die a lot so to learn how to get through" school. I don't get the overwhelming love for this game, tbh. It's good, stylish, the music is banging, but it's not life-changing. It's basically a side-scrolling Hotline Miami, story and all.

It was a nice challenging 5h (that fucking prison stealth level... I should have killed everyone) and it's free on GamePass, so... go nuts.

Original post

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Feb
1st - God of War (PS4) ***
11th - Links Awakening (Switch) *****

March
13th - Paper Mario TTYD (PC Dolphin) *****
20th - Nier Automata (PC) ****
28th - Gears 5 (PC) ****
30th - Doom 2016 (PC) ****
30th - Devil May Cry 5 (PC) *****
31st - Rayman Legends (PC) *****

April
4th - Resident Evil 3 REmake (PC) ***
9th - Yakuza 0 (PC) *****

May
14th - Streets of Rage (Switch) ****
27th - Hotline Miami (Vita) *****
28th - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) *****

June
3rd - Halo Reach (PC) *****
22nd - Journey (PS4) *****
22nd - Flower (PS4) *****
24th - Burnout Paradise (Switch) *****
25th - Ratchet & Clank (PS4) *****
28th - Sekiro (PC) *****
29th - Cuphead (PC) *****
30th - Katana Zero (PC) ***

July
11th - The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4) **
30th - Diablo 3 (PC) ****

August
1st - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls (PC) ****
29th - A Plague Tale Innocence (PC) ****

September
10th - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1&2 (PC) ****
11th - Ori and the Blind Forest (PC) *****
14th - Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) *****
15th - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES Mini) *****
16th - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS) *****
17th - Astro Bot Mission Rescue (PS4 / PSVR) *****
19th - Halo 2 Anniversary (PC) *****

October
3rd - Halo 3 (PC) *****
4th - Halo ODST (PC) *****
5th - Little Nightmares (PC) ***
5th - Super Mario World (SNES Mini) *****
5th - Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES Mini) **
5th - What Remains of Edith Finch (PC) ***
6th - MGS5: Ground Zeroes (PC) **
6th - Gris (PC) ****
10th - Shovel Knight Spectre of Torment (PC) ****
10th - Moss (PC / VR) ****
11th - Superhot VR (PC / VR) ***
12th - Vanquish (PC) *****
19th - My Friend Pedro (PC) ***
19th - Gone Home (PC) **
19th - Golden Axed (PC) *
21st - Dishonored (PC) *****
23rd - Control (PC) ****
24th - Uncharted 3 (PS4) *****
24th - Linger in Shadows (PS3) *
25th - God of War Ascension (PS3) *****

November
1st - Sonic Mania (PC) *****
5th - Doom Eternal (PC) *****
11th - Super Mario Galaxy (Switch) *****
14th - Helldivers (PS4) *****
15th - Watch Dogs 2 (PC) ****
16th - Wipeout 2048 (PS4) ****
16th - Beyond Good and Evil HD (PS3) *****
17th - Dark Souls Remastered (Switch) *****
17th - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PC) ***
17th - Super Stardust Ultra (PS4) ***
18th - P.T (PS4) *****
19th - Astro's Playroom (PS5) *****
21st - Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) *****
21st - Demon's Souls (PS5) *****
25th - The Last Guardian (PS5 BC) *****

December
3rd - Spyro the Dragon Ignited (PC) ***
24th - Borderlands 3 (PS5) *****
29th - Untitled Goose Game (PC) ***

1 - Vita
3 - PS3
3 - SNES Mini
1 - 3DS
6 - Switch
13 - PS4
5 - PS5
38 - PC

70 - Total

Last edited:

jshackles

header.jpg

Game 49 - The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan - Xbox One - Completed Oct 28th, 2020
I played through this game last year, but played it again and it was almost a totally different game this time around. The choices in this game absolutely seem to matter, which is great. I got the "bad ending", where everyone dies. However, despite that I had a really good time with the game and enjoyed it immensely. I was planning on playing through it before Little Hope launches and I definitely succeeded there - I've really been looking forward to that game and have it pre-loading on my Xbox as I type this. Man of Medan is still a great game and I feel like more people should give it a shake.

Main Post

Quick update

76. Hitman Go (PS4) - 7/10
Cleaning up some PS4 games that won't work on PS5. This was a solid puzzle game. Nothing more to it than that. It gets pretty difficult about halfway through.

77. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (Xbox One) - 7/10
Decent story but didn't really have much impact. Felt like a side story in a sense. Still a decent game to play through.

78. Cursed Mountain (Wii) - 6/10
Unique setting but ruined by the same enemies and ways to fight them. Average and not really scary.

79. Shadow Complex (PS4) - 8/10
Had to finish this up since it won't work on PS5. Solid metroidish game. It wasn't really hard but I had some good quick fun with it.

80. infamous: Festival of Blood (PS3) - 7/10
Over way too fast. It was fun and it was cool to fly around but it was over before it started.

81. Klonoa (Wii) - 6/10
Not as good as I was told it would be. Average/short platformer with some annoying voice acting.

ii7CT3j.png

8:30h. Normal difficulty. All sidequests completed except for most Gigolo missions, which I mostly found uninteresting (I only did enough to get the Plasma Cannon)

Good little game which cannot trade blows with the greats of the genre, but manages to keep itself interesting thanks to its stylish art, the weird self-referential humor and the quirky cast. Ends in a strangely serious, down note which have would been a great starting point for a sequel - which will likely never happen.

Original post

jshackles

header.jpg

Game 50 - Cat Quest II - Nintendo Switch - Completed Nov 1st, 2020
I played the first game on the PC because I got it cheap as part of an indie bundle. I saw that the sequel was for sale on the Switch and went ahead and picked it up. There isn't really much to say about this game other than "if you liked the first game, you'll enjoy this one too". While the game does feature a new mechanic (multiple playable characters that can be switched out by pressing a button) everything above and beyond that is almost identical to the first game. Sure, now you get two different equipment loadouts that leads for some interesting strategies (and there are new weapons, armor, and spells!) but the game feels right at home to those that have finished the first. The map has two biomes now but the music, NPCs, quest items, etc. are all the same as the first game. Despite that, I really enjoyed this game and felt like there was enough there to keep my attention for the 10 or so hours it took to finish.

Phase

header.jpg

Game 50 - Cat Quest II - Nintendo Switch - Completed Nov 1st, 2020
I played the first game on the PC because I got it cheap as part of an indie bundle. I saw that the sequel was for sale on the Switch and went ahead and picked it up. There isn't really much to say about this game other than "if you liked the first game, you'll enjoy this one too". While the game does feature a new mechanic (multiple playable characters that can be switched out by pressing a button) everything above and beyond that is almost identical to the first game. Sure, now you get two different equipment loadouts that leads for some interesting strategies (and there are new weapons, armor, and spells!) but the game feels right at home to those that have finished the first. The map has two biomes now but the music, NPCs, quest items, etc. are all the same as the first game. Despite that, I really enjoyed this game and felt like there was enough there to keep my attention for the 10 or so hours it took to finish.
Almost there! jshackles jshackles

jshackles

I'm planning on finishing up The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope tonight (that'll be 51!).

I'm also almost done with Genshin Impact and I'm 2/3rds of the way through Ys 7. I'll also be playing Donkey Kong Country this month as part of the SNES club, so I'll definitely get to 52 in the next few weeks!

jshackles

header.jpg

Game 51 - The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - Xbox One - Completed Nov 1st, 2020
I played the majority of this game on Halloween night, and it was brilliant. I'm glad that I re-played Man of Medan right before this one, because it really brought to light all the great things that this game improved upon. On the Xbox One X, the framerate was a much smoother than MoM which made the button prompts a lot easier to deal with. The game also added camera controls which were brilliant and really added to the game's spooky atmosphere. There are tons of great QoL improvements too - such as seeing trait changes without opening menus. The story was an absolute thrill ride and the ending was superb. There was a ton of symbolism that was thrown in that you have to pay attention to understand. Everything is rounded out by a wonderful performance by the entire cast - really everything was incredibly top notch. I know this game came out about six months later than they were originally planning, but it definitely looks and feels like that paid off for them. I am really excited for House of Ashes because it looks like it will be a radical departure for the series.

bender

What time is it?
header.jpg

Game 51 - The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - Xbox One - Completed Nov 1st, 2020
I played the majority of this game on Halloween night, and it was brilliant. I'm glad that I re-played Man of Medan right before this one, because it really brought to light all the great things that this game improved upon. On the Xbox One X, the framerate was a much smoother than MoM which made the button prompts a lot easier to deal with. The game also added camera controls which were brilliant and really added to the game's spooky atmosphere. There are tons of great QoL improvements too - such as seeing trait changes without opening menus. The story was an absolute thrill ride and the ending was superb. There was a ton of symbolism that was thrown in that you have to pay attention to understand. Everything is rounded out by a wonderful performance by the entire cast - really everything was incredibly top notch. I know this game came out about six months later than they were originally planning, but it definitely looks and feels like that paid off for them. I am really excited for House of Ashes because it looks like it will be a radical departure for the series.

I want to try Little Hope but Man of Medan let a really bad taste in my mouth. I adore Until Dawn.

jshackles

I want to try Little Hope but Man of Medan let a really bad taste in my mouth. I adore Until Dawn.
This game is pretty night and day from Man of Medan (as I'm sure it'll be night and day from House of Ashes). I would definitely say this game has more of an Until Dawn feel to it, which I can't exactly go into without giving out some pretty massive spoilers. The atmosphere of this game is really similar, and in my opinion the cast here is MUCH better than Man of Medan and way more relatable. My only real complaint that makes this fall short of Until Dawn is just the length - an extra hour or two to flesh out some of the ideas here would have gone a long way.

Given that the game will likely go on discount before too long, I'd definitely recommend picking this up on sale if you're at all interested - even if you hated Man of Medan.

jshackles

iu

Game 52 - Genshin Impact - PlayStation 4 - Completed Nov 7th, 2020
I've put right around 80 hours into Genshin Impact, and I have to say that for a free game the amount of content here already really is amazing. While I did put $15 into the game (daily pass and battle pass) I feel like I got an incredible value from that, one that I could have probably still gotten without paying a dime. The game's story was a highlight for me - the voice acting was really well done although sometimes a bit over the top. The character designs were great. I did encounter a frustrating game-breaking bug near the end of the storyline but it seemed to resolve itself eventually with an update. My only other negative was the incredibly slow loading times on the PlayStation 4 Pro, so I'm hoping that the PS5's SSD will help fix this issue even if the developers don't address it directly. The 1.1 update comes out in a few days, with new story content, so I'll definitely be continuing my journey in Genshin Impact.

Phase

iu

Game 52 - Genshin Impact - PlayStation 4 - Completed Nov 7th, 2020
I've put right around 80 hours into Genshin Impact, and I have to say that for a free game the amount of content here already really is amazing. While I did put $15 into the game (daily pass and battle pass) I feel like I got an incredible value from that, one that I could have probably still gotten without paying a dime. The game's story was a highlight for me - the voice acting was really well done although sometimes a bit over the top. The character designs were great. I did encounter a frustrating game-breaking bug near the end of the storyline but it seemed to resolve itself eventually with an update. My only other negative was the incredibly slow loading times on the PlayStation 4 Pro, so I'm hoping that the PS5's SSD will help fix this issue even if the developers don't address it directly. The 1.1 update comes out in a few days, with new story content, so I'll definitely be continuing my journey in Genshin Impact.
52! Let's go!

giphy.gif

Game 84. Earth Defense Force V
34hrs. 11mins. 18 out of 25

qpvTmBM.jpg

Game 85. Earth Defense Force Iron Rain
11hrs. 16mins. 22 out of 25

sUaFvt2.jpg

Game 86. Daymare: 1998
4hrs. 16mins. 20 out of 25

ewFQQ7F.jpg

Game 87. Candy Crush Saga
4hrs. 30mins. 20 out of 25

21RxNdB.jpg

Game 88. Adventure of Stars
6hrs. 15mins. 18 out of 25

UdPe0jc.jpg

Game 89. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope
4hrs. 02mins. 22 out of 25

N23WepP.jpg

Game 90. MORTAL SHELL
7hrs. 11mins. 20 out of 25

5iogzjI.jpg

Game 91. Kamen Rider: Memory of Heroez
15hrs. 39mins. 20 out of 25

7rQY3Mq.jpg

jshackles

SI_3DSVC_TheLegendOfZelda.jpg

Game 53 - Classic NES Series: Legend of Zelda (GBA) - Android Retroachievements - Completed Nov 8th, 2020
Someone made a GAF thread recently like "Could you beat the original NES Zelda in 48 hours without using any guides?" which I thought was a bit silly. While I've never exactly timed myself, it turns out I can beat the original Zelda in a little under 3 hours without looking up any guides online, or dying. I think I have this game entirely committed to memory at this point. I picked this version of the game since I played the NES version (and unlocked a bunch of achievements for it) back in 2018. I still love this game to pieces.

PRh8N1E.png

20h-ish. Normal difficulty.

I think Ace Combat 7 is the first combat flying game I play since the original Warhawk on the PSX, 25 years ago. As I haven't played any other Ace Combat, the story was a bit hard to follow, but once you learn that Osea = USA, Belka = Nazis with wunderwaffes, and Erusea = Francengland (I think it's more of an European Union mishmash?) you can more or less make sense of everything.

The game is very pretty and I think I've never seen this level of storytelling in a flight "sim" (though admittedly I haven't played many) but make no mistake, it's hard as balls even in Normal and the very sparse checkpoints make dying a real chore. Sometimes you have to play over and over again the same 20 minutes until you finally manage to defeat a particular brick wall. It's a bit DarkSoulish in that regard (the Dark Souls of flight sims LOLOLO)

Still, it piqued my interest on the series, so I'll probably try the previous games at some point.

Original post

IKSTUGA

87. Pokemon Shield, 9/10
+ it's pokemon
+ streamlined and fun
+ one of the best soundtracks in the series
+ Isle of Amor was better than I expected (cool layout and environments + Urshifu is awesome)
- looks like crap at times
- I still don't like dynamax too much (mega evolution was way better)

88. Hades, 9/10
+ best rogue game I've ever played and the only one I've actually beaten
+ plays great
+ looks great
+ sounds pretty great as well
- it's a rogue game, so repetition is the name of the game
- sometimes you get shit rng with boons
89. Donkey Kong Country 2, 10/10
+ it's a classic
+ legendary soundtrack

90. Marvel's Spider Man, 10/10
This my new favorite PS4 game.
+ makes you feel like Spider Man
+ it's like Batman Arkham, but better
+ web swinging
- some of those stealth sections

91. Mario Tennis Aces, 8/10
+ controls like the N64 classic
+ character selection
+ adventure mode is surprisingly fun
- some levels suck though
- tournament mode feels like an afterthought

92. Judgement, 9/10
+ amazing story and characters
+ it's a Yakuza spin-off
- no karaoke mini game
- detective gameplay stuff gets boring by the end

93. Doom Eternal, 9/10
First game I beat on the Series X :messenger_savoring:, runs super smooth and loads lightning fast. Never managed to finish it back in March, because it fried my One X, lol.
+ fucking intense
+ feels super rewarding, when you get the mechanics down
+ soundtrack kicks ass
- almost too intense at times
- platforming and exploration is kinda hit or miss

Last edited:

marcincz

Game 53 - Gorogoa (PS4) - 03h 04m
Beat 23/10/2020 - my score: ★★★

Game 54 - Steins;Gate 0 (PSV) - 43h 57m

Beat 07/11/2020 - my score: ★★★

Game 55 - Forza Horizon 3 (XBO) - 16h 00m