• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

53.6 million Xbox 360 (MS FY11 Q3 report)

[Nintex] said:
You know when PSN is down when a 'Microsoft fiscal year results' thread turns into a 'Sony is almost there!' cheerleading contest.

Every fiscal 1/4 thread has people saying the same thing, because it is actually happening. Its not a symptom of PSN being fucked.

Mrbob

Can both the 360 and PS3 get over 100 million sold lifetime?

ZombieSupaStar said:
the fact the ps3 isn't greater than the ps2 (which was a greater success than ps1) will always mean the ps3 is a failure to me. Im a primary pc gamer but this has been such a swift kick in the crotch from what we thought coming into it in 2005

Tough critic!

[Nintex] said:
You know when PSN is down when a 'Microsoft fiscal year results' thread turns into a 'Sony is almost there!' cheerleading contest.

The 360 is going to end up with a really healthy worldwide userbase, but you are acting a bit naive if you don't see what is happening worldwide. PS3 is going to surpass 360 and probably in the next fiscal year, but it doesn't diminish what MS has accomplished.

gtj1092

Does MS ever give shipment targets or software sales? If they do did they his their target for the year?

Also kinect is doing amazing have a feeling Micheal Jackson the experience will be its next killer app.

charsace said:
Anyone have those charts where the PS3 manages to sell 100mill and the 360 tapers off at like 35mill sold?

ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

Galvanise_ said:
My alternate imaginary situation is Don receiving the tap on the shoulder, and when he turns around, he sees Tretton wearing a bald cap, giving him the finger before he delivers a stone cold stunner to him. He then comes to the front of the stage, Kaz throws him a few beers and he cracks them open over Mattricks twitching body.

That one is funnier to me, but way over the top.
reminds me of the new Beastie Boys music video.

Jtyettis said:
Error in your math. Fiscal 09 line adds to 11.1.
Again, Microsoft said that 11.2 million Xbox 360 units were sold during FY 2008-09.

KPI_thumb.jpg

Xbox 360 Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Code:
Hardware Sales   Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn     FY       LTD

FY 2005/06        -        1.5      1.7      1.8      5.0      5.0

FY 2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7      6.6      11.6    

FY 2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3      8.7      20.3    

FY 2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5     

FY 2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

FY 2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7       -       11.8     53.6

FrankT

Parmenides said:
Again, Microsoft said that 11.2 million Xbox 360 units were sold during FY 2008-09.

Hmm, then there is a real problem with our numbers somewhere. Hmm. One of those quarters would actually be off by .1M and that would mean they have sold 53.6M to date.

[Nintex]

Galvanise_ said:
Every fiscal 1/4 thread has people saying the same thing, because it is actually happening. Its not a symptom of PSN being fucked.
You guys say this every year and every year the same thing happens:
Q1/Q2/Q3 > PS3 slowly crawls towards 360 because of better overall results in Europe and Japan
Q4 > Holiday season and Call of Duty/Halo in the US blows the gap wide open again

Gomu Gomu

Arpharmd B said:
It would be quite a comeback if Sony did actually end up outselling Microsoft. Can't underestimate the power of the Playstation brand name.

Yeah. 3 years ago, I honestly never thought that the PS3 would actually outsell the 360 by a long shot. Now I think Sony has a very good chance. I think it's a pretty safe prediction to say that PS3 will outsell the 360 by the end of this year. Sony is packed with awesome 1st party titles & pretty good 3rd party support. MS on the other hand has pretty much nothing as to this point. Maybe their E3 conf. would have some interesting exclusives that we don't know about just yet.

Oh man E3 this year is going to be the best.

Banned
Man said:
Well, that crazy forum moment will happen sometime in 2011. Probably after a price drop to $199.

Not going to happen in 2011. PS3 has not closed the gap at all in the last 6 months.

[Nintex] said:
You guys say this every year and every year the same thing happens:
Q1/Q2/Q3 > PS3 slowly crawls towards 360 because of better overall results in Europe and Japan
Q4 > Holiday season and Call of Duty/Halo in the US blows the gap wide open again

If that was true, the gap would never have shrank. The evidence supports the opposite. Sony have been making gains (albeit small ones).

gtj1092

charsace said:
I still wonder how they estimated those numbers.

Well looking at the charts posted here its not as if though the 360 was selling really great or anything. The hype on messages boards about 360s dominance didn't match the reality of the actual sales on a world wide basis. The wii was the actual system that was selling gang busters. This is the first year 360 is even going to crack 12 million in sales for a year. So I can see how they lowballed the lifetime sells estimates(which is all they were).

acm2000

so have MS broken even on the xbox 360 by now? have they eaten into xbox 1 deficit? or paid of 360 and xbox combined?

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
If that was true, the gap would never have shrank. The evidence supports the opposite. Sony have been making gains (albeit small ones).

Not in the last 6 months they have not. Unless the PS3 ships 2.7 Million or more this quarter the gap will have increased not decreased. FYI, the most they have ever shipped Jan-Mar quarter was 2.25 Million.

Syringe

acm2000 said:
so have MS broken even on the xbox 360 by now? have they eaten into xbox 1 deficit? or paid of 360 and xbox combined?
I doubt we'll ever get those numbers. They probably have broken even om Xbox 360, but probably not even close on the Xbox.

jagowar

Gomu Gomu said:
Yeah. 3 years ago, I honestly never thought that the PS3 would actually outsell the 360 by a long shot. Now I think Sony has a very good chance. I think it's a pretty safe prediction to say that PS3 will outsell the 360 by the end of this year. Sony is packed with awesome 1st party titles & pretty good 3rd party support. MS on the other hand has pretty much nothing as to this point. Maybe their E3 conf. would have some interesting exclusives that we don't know about just yet.

Oh man E3 this year is going to be the best.

You can take it the other way too.... at the beginning of this generation nobody thought xbox stood a chance against playstation. Now they are neck and neck in the game which is a big increase for xbox and a big downturn for sony (xbox->xbox360 and ps2->ps3). I am actually kinda surprised it has taken sony this long to catch up to the 360 and when it does eventually pass the 360 it will be time for the next gen boxes to hit.

Jtyettis said:
Hmm, then there is a real problem with our numbers somewhere. Hmm. One of those quarters would actually be off by .1M and that would mean they have sold 53.6M to date.

I'm sure it's just simple rounding stuff. All 4 quarters got rounded down but the total added another 100K for the year.

edit- I don't know this as fact, just my educated guess at the reason.

Jtyettis said:

It's a rounding error in their figures, look at the picture Parmenides posted, it adds up to 11.1m, but they say 11.2m afterwards. I expect there are some x.04m figs somewhere in there.

Cheech

[Nintex] said:

Especially when Sony's attach rate is more marginal than ever. I'm not helping, I have two PS3s that see active use as media hubs. Haven't bought a PS3/PSN game since God of War 3 launched, though.

[Nintex]

Syringe said:
I doubt we'll ever get those numbers. They probably have broken even om Xbox 360, but probably not even close on the Xbox.
There's a chart on GAF that shows this, It's more or less one big line of profit for Nintendo who cheaped out and sinkholes worth a couple of billion for both Microsoft and Sony who're just now crawling out of the ditch.

Diebuster

Karma said:
Not in the last 6 months they have not. Unless the PS3 ships 2.7 Million or more this quarter the gap will have increased not decreased. FYI, the most they have ever shipped Jan-Mar quarter was 2.25 Million.

The data from Nintendo puts 'em at 2.45M. 2.7M isn't too crazy of a figure for them to reach once the missing regions get added.

Karma said:

That was last year, when there were shortages reported in both NA and EU. This year, by Nintendo's fiscal release we can see the PS3 has sold at least 2.45m, so the shipped figure may be even bigger than that as the 2.45m figure only includes Japan, US, UK, Spain, France and Germany.

charsace

gtj1092 said:
Well looking at the charts posted here its not as if though the 360 was selling really great or anything. The hype on messages boards about 360s dominance didn't match the reality of the actual sales on a world wide basis. The wii was the actual system that was selling gang busters. This is the first year 360 is even going to crack 12 million in sales for a year. So I can see how they lowballed the lifetime sells estimates(which is all they were).
lol the 360 was never hyped on here. Before the PS3 came out you would get a bunch of guys in every 360 thread letting everyone know that said game looked like shit. Then when the PS3 came out it was wait for the price drop. Since 2008 the line I have seen, which has become a joke, next year is the year of the PS3.

The PS3 has been a massive failure. Before it was released Sony was saying they didn't need games at release to outsell the 360 and years later they still haven't passed it in sales even though the 360 has been dead in for years.

Karma said:

They shipped the same as each other last quarter and Nintendo's data has Sony in a comfortable lead so far this year. Lets see the official Q4 data from Sony before we say such things.

I was commenting on the gains that have happened. Based on the data we have seen, Sony gained, then at the last data point at which we have both corporations numbers, the gap remained the same.

watership

Mrbob said:
The 360 is going to end up with a really healthy worldwide userbase, but you are acting a bit naive if you don't see what is happening worldwide. PS3 is going to surpass 360 and probably in the next fiscal year, but it doesn't diminish what MS has accomplished.

This.

PS3 has 3 solid regions in terms of sales. 360 has 1, North America. It does well in UK however, so we could give it a 1.5 region stamp. It might take all year or into next year, but the PS3 will probably pass it.

DSN2K

people questioned if 3 consoles would oversaturate the market but it clearly hasn't, all have sold well imo.

shinnn

Parmenides said:
Xbox 360 Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Code:
Hardware Sales   Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn     FY       LTD

FY 2005/06        -        1.5      1.7      1.8      5.0      5.0

FY 2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7      6.6      11.6    

FY 2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3      8.7      20.3    

FY 2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5     

FY 2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

FY 2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7       -       11.8     53.6

1.5 to 2.7 million? wow.

Anno

I think it's interesting that transactional revenue on XBL is higher than subscription revenue. I've never owned an Xbox so I don't know if that's surprising, but it was to me for whatever reason.

watership said:
Bring on the price drop war, MS/SONY!

SONY should bite the bullet, keep PS3 pricier so that it can make up for selling a lower costing NGP, and profit through software and quickly get manufacturing costs for NGP down.

Microsoft should keep prices high, ride on the same price since PS3 momentum is remaining steady and their sales of Xbox arent decreasing.

So what's the sold to consumer/installed base? Perhaps 45 million? So many of those xbox's were bought by people who had lost their old one to hardware failure.

I waited for the slim to get mine.

Expecting a good Q4, on the conf call they are projecting a 25% growth in revenue for the division, (insert wrong info here) misread it, this Q was 60 %

Anno said:
I think it's interesting that transactional revenue on XBL is higher than subscription revenue. I've never owned an Xbox so I don't know if that's surprising, but it was to me for whatever reason.

Surprised me too, just goes to show how much money they are taking in right now.

Dabanton

DSN2K said:
people questioned if 3 consoles would oversaturate the market but it clearly hasn't, all have sold well imo.

Indeed. The increased competition this gen has been good for both MS and Sony.

Long may it continue.

Jeels

charsace said:
I still wonder how they estimated those numbers.

Can someone make a chart in that vein with what the actual results have been, I'd imagine it's still quite shocking (PS3 catching up to 360, both PS3 and 360 growing. Wii beginning to slow after massive growth).

Banned
Mrbob said:

The lastest trends show this not to be the case. The gap is not getting smaller.

Chris1964 said:
It's not so simple.

Indeed. We don't know how much of that was Sony stuffing the channels last 1/4. They also had that issue of having their stock held hostage in a warehouse. That might have slowed/delayed shipments.

Top Bottom