• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

53% OF REPUBLICANS THINK TRUMP IS BETTER PRESIDENT THAN LINCOLN(NewsWeek)

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
Link for the article.

Asked "Which Republican president was better?", 53 percent of Republicans said Trump.

That is in stark contrast to respondents who identify as Democrats and independent. 94 percent of Democrats said Lincoln was the better president, as did 78 percent of independent voters. Overall, 75 percent of poll respondents picked Lincoln compared to 25 percent for Trump.

Other than Republicans, Lincoln was the choice president across all possible polling metrics—preferred by men and women, all age groups and races, as well as based on census region and household income.
It's a strange question. But even presented at face value, how can you even compare anything Trump has done to the sweeping change that Lincoln started?

I don't think many would argue that Lincoln was probably the best Republican president.

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
you gotta admire the gumption of a counterpuncher who wants to enter the fire and let the chips fall as they may

maybe i get shit on for saying this, but there's a lot of similarities between trump and lincoln
holy shit trump is doing flips on his motorcycle

what the fuck trump is doing full squad solo runs

party of abraham lincoln
abraham lincoln was a dictator
that's why i support the party of abraham lincoln

checkmate

:messenger_bicep:
that my friends is a man of the people

he's folksy and loved by americans in the same way lincoln was, which worries me because it puts a target on his back

so long as the economy doesn't tank, 2020 is already his
have we ever had a more honest president than donald john trump?

maybe abraham lincoln
trump is the abraham lincoln of our time

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Ignoring... Everything...

“I’m the least racist person you’ll find anywhere in the world.” - Ol' Donny

The 'least racist person' is an admission of some inherent racism, thus, our stable genius who has the best words, acknowledges he's racist, to some degree!

😃
That isn't proof. That's you writing stuff in Adam Schiff 'parody' style and pretending it's evidence.

Stop with the theatrics, faux-outrage, pearl-clutching, and accusatory rhetoric.
Provide the following:

1) The dictionary definition of racism, understood for generations all around the world.
2) Objective, verifiable, unedited, context-accurate, verbatim evidence of your claim
3) Show how what you've provided in point 2 is in line with the definition in point 1.

Very simple. So simple that it's amazing that it needs to be spelled out.

Yet every time I see alarmist accusations, followed up by bullshit rhetoric, it has to be spelled out.

And then, what predictably happens, is a whole lot of evasion, excuses, deflection, obfuscation, protests, noise, drama etc.
But, to date, not the required evidence to support the claim.

So, P Patriots7 , please be the one to break such a worthless tradition.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

The 'least racist person' is an admission of some inherent racism, thus, our stable genius who has the best words, acknowledges he's racist, to some degree!

😃
lol you just admitted you're a bigger racist than Trump. Why should anyone take you seriously?

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de

😃
If you have a non-negative scale, you have an absolute minimum, which is 0, so if you know that your value on that scale is 0, it is correct for you to say that you are the lowest on that scale anyone will ever find. Note, I am not saying Trump is not racist (I think he is racist but I have no passion whatsoever to discuss this with certain people here), but that argument is just terrible.

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
That isn't proof. That's you writing stuff in Adam Schiff 'parody' style and pretending it's evidence.

Stop with the theatrics, faux-outrage, pearl-clutching, and accusatory rhetoric.
Provide the following:

1) The dictionary definition of racism, understood for generations all around the world.
2) Objective, verifiable, unedited, context-accurate, verbatim evidence of your claim
3) Show how what you've provided in point 2 is in line with the definition in point 1.

Very simple. So simple that it's amazing that it needs to be spelled out.

Yet every time I see alarmist accusations, followed up by bullshit rhetoric, it has to be spelled out.

And then, what predictably happens, is a whole lot of evasion, excuses, deflection, obfuscation, protests, noise, drama etc.

So, P Patriots7 , please be the one to break such a worthless tradition.
I belly laughed at a poster saying Trump isn't racist and jokingly used his own words as 'proof'. Notice, I never actually accused him of being racist, I just laughed.

I don't know what 'Schiff' has to do with this, nor should you think that I actually am remotely interested in arguing whether or not Trump is racist on his cheerleading forum. Which is why I joked, rather than started down the rabbit hole of citing any example of his history or rhetoric and then spend the rest of the day arguing about it.

If it makes you feel better, Lincoln was racist in a modern perspective.

If you have a non-negative scale, you have an absolute minimum, which is 0, so if you know that your value on that scale is 0, it is correct for you to say that you are the lowest on that scale anyone will ever find. Note, I am not saying Trump is not racist (I think he is racist but I have no passion whatsoever to discuss this with certain people here), but that argument is just terrible.
It's fairly binary. The least legally drunk person on the road, is still legally drunk.

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
well if you are going to say it, even in passing (with absofruitsly no passions of the milks), you should probably prove it

being called a racist is a pretty serious thing

Reactions: Bolivar687

nani17

May 3, 2018
No one was around for lincon why is this even a debate. Well only Chuck Norris but he isn't online so

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
well if you are going to say it, even in passing (with absofruitsly no passions of the milks), you should probably prove it

being called a racist is a pretty serious thing
Not to Democrats, they pass the term out like Halloween candy. No one really takes them seriously on it anymore as a result. When everyone but the accuser is suddenly a racist, it becomes quite apparent what is going on.

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
This is not very surprising.

A lot of Republicans in the South openly hate Lincoln and love their Confederate symbols.

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
This is not very surprising.

A lot of Republicans in the South openly hate Lincoln and love their Confederate symbols.
a lot also love lincoln and their confederate symbols, which in most cases has more to do with family history than anything else

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
a lot also love lincoln and their confederate symbols, which in most cases has more to do with family history than anything else
Perhaps in some cases there is a legitimate concern for family history involved, but I wonder how many would really fit your entire description. You don't have to look too hard to find modern Lincoln bashing.

It was also the Jim Crow era that saw numerous southern states adopting such symbols for use in public places, including events where the Confederacy was praised and Lincoln was criticized. They weren't adopted in a purely historical and non-political or non-ideological manner.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
Perhaps in some cases there is a legitimate concern for family history involved, but I wonder how many would really fit your entire description. You don't have to look too hard to find modern Lincoln bashing.

It was also the Jim Crow era that saw numerous southern states adopting such symbols for use in public places, including events where the Confederacy was praised and Lincoln was criticized. They weren't adopted in a purely historical and non-political or non-ideological manner.
true about jim crow, the 60s saw tremendous growth of confederacy symbolism but we sorta pushed passed thanks to herculean efforts of nixon and doctor king

lincoln was an authoritarian, he's been canonized as some kinda 'before the party switch' democratic super hero but most republicans and southerners i know absolutely adore the man, hate racial identity and division

just my pines, anecdotal 33years of experience

Rudelord

Jun 11, 2013
Lincoln was a pivotal person in Big Fed being a thing now, so in that regard he's certainly not my favorite, let alone someone I like even if his heart was in the right place.

Last edited:

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
So, no evidence then. Just the usual dance. Got it.
No evidence for a claim that I didn't make? I guess. Be easy, pal, life's too short! 😃

look at this kid using a Chris Evans gif.
resetera is that way little buddy ------------>

Cap said "go back"
Aren't you precious? New members to GAF are absolutely adorable. 😍

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Not exactly on topic, but Lincoln was correct at the time to shamelessly violate the Constitution. I'm a Constitutional hardliner, but I understand that the existential safety of the nation is more important than individual civil rights. The Civil War was a trial that we have never faced since, thank everything holy, unholy, and everything in between.

TL;DR, Lincoln was a tyranical dictator who violated the Constitution time and time again, and it was a dann good thing he did given the circumstances.

TrainedRage

Feb 3, 2018
USA
No evidence for a claim that I didn't make? I guess. Be easy, pal, life's too short! 😃

Aren't you precious? New members to GAF are absolutely adorable. 😍
That old insult... meh

You're salty because Tom Brady got his spice taken, clearly the Texans are capitalizing and you are pissed. Its fine. You post like once a month, and I would bet more people know me. But its not a popularity contest right my dude? Also when were you going to prove Trump is racist?

greyshark

Feb 15, 2011
St. Louis
More comparisons were made in the poll:

Trump vs. GWB: 38-62 overall, Democrats 10-90, Republicans 71-29 (Never thought I'd see GWB compared favorably with ANYONE from the left after his presidency)
Trump vs. Bush Sr.: 37-63 overall, Democrats 10-90, Republicans 71-29 (Almost exact same scores, did the respondents realize there were two Presidents named George Bush?)
Trump vs. Reagan: 22-78 overall, Democrats 8-92, Republicans 41-59
Trump vs. Ford: 41-59 overall, Democrats 8-92, Republicans 82-18
Trump vs. Nixon: 44-56 overall, Democrats 12-88, Republicans 86-14
Trump vs. Eisenhower: 31-69 overall, Democrats 6-94, Republicans 65-35 (Surprised to see Trump beat Eisenhower among R's)

Democratic voters (at least this group of respondents) seem to have pretty hardcore TDS, especially considering how much they prefer even Nixon over Trump. I wonder if there's a single human in history that would be compared favorably to Trump among the left right now.

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
intredaster comparisons, nixon and fdr and eisenhower and lincoln are among my favorite presidents

most of my favorite executives are pretty goddamn authoritarian

Dec 15, 2011
I have to admit, it's been a long time since I've seen such theatrical back-peddling.
But you still countered someone's claim with nothing more than your own farts, you still jumped in (and continue to do so), claiming you're not involving yourself.

Like I said:

azz0r

May 24, 2005
www.fedsimulator.com
Dec 15, 2011

No, slapping some links in isn't proof. Here is how to prove the claim:

Provide the following:

Or, of course, you can just do the usual dance:

Let's see if we can actually get some proper substance from a hit-and-run accuser for once.