• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

576i or 480p, what is better when viewed on HDTV?

Kosma

Banned
576i the PAL standard is a higher resolution then 480p right? I've just switched my Wii settings to this and the picture quality has improved a bit , I'm using my Wii on a 32" Samsung by the way. The trade of it seems is that 480i/p is 60hz while 576i is 50hz.

Have any of you (PAL gamers) notice the difference (between 576 and 480) on HDTV's too? Or have I gone blind and delusional after messing with my TV's settings for 2 days in a row.

Tailzo

Interesting. Maybe it would be good to have it in pal mode for once? 480p looks kinda bad on a 40" samsung lcd.

[Nintex]

oo Kosma oo said:
576i the PAL standard is a higher resolution then 480p right? I've just switched my Wii settings to this and the picture quality has improved a bit , I'm using my Wii on a 32" Samsung by the way. The trade of it seems is that 480i/p is 60hz while 576i is 50hz.

Have any of you (PAL gamers) notice the difference (between 576 and 480) on HDTV's too? Or have I gone blind and delusional after messing with my TV's settings for 2 days in a row.
Wel 576i is 50hz only, so you're basicly ****ed with both settings.
You either choose for a sluggish, slightly higher res mostly filled with black bars screen.
Or a really low resolution image at normal speed. if you want to improve your Wii image quality on HD you should use 4:3 instead of 16:9. For some reason the last one is much more pixelated. If this is Zelda related, get the GameCube version it isn't a blurfest with jaggies like the Wii version(PAL).

Kosma

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Wel 576i is 50hz only, so you're basicly ****ed with both settings.
You either choose for a sluggish, slightly higher res mostly filled with black bars screen.
Or a really low resolution image at normal speed. if you want to improve your Wii image quality on HD you should use 4:3 instead of 16:9. For some reason the last one is much more pixelated. If this is Zelda related, get the GameCube version it isn't a blurfest with jaggies like the Wii version(PAL).

I haven't really noticed the difference in speed actually.

50hz = 50 refreshes a second
60hz = 60 refreshes a second

right?

This difference seems less noticeable then 576 to 480.

SpokkX

oo Kosma oo said:

uh.. 480p is better of course..

Hell even 480i is better than 576i when it comes to motion even because of the refresh rate. 60hz vs 50hz is a no contest. 50hz means 25 frames per second in most games (Zelda TW for example) and chugs quite a bit compared to 60hz (30 frames per second)

50hz sucks, luckily every new game this new generation supports 60hz on every format (as far as I have seen)

[Nintex]

oo Kosma oo said:

right?

yes something like that, you won't notice it untill you play something like Metroid Prime, Smash Bros. Melee or Fzero GX. Most games are created for 480P resolutions so sometimes you get black bars. Also 576i isn't progressive, and it depends on the TV how the interlaced image looks like.

deathcab

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:

right?

Probably depends a lot on the game. I played SFII on a PAL SNES until
my fingers bled. Friends with an NTSC version would school me. It seemed
THAT much faster.

FWIW though, memories cloud with time. I was probably just crap.

p3tran

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:

hi cosma.

pal wii - samsung 32'' hdtv => works better for me at 576i.
480p brings jaggies&more contrast than needed that makes screen look worse

alex1893

oo Kosma oo said:

right?

got Excite Truck? try a race on any track @ 60hz, then switch back to the menu, activate 50hz and play the same track again... difference by the bare numbers isn't much, but it feels and plays so much slower that you don't want 50hz anymore. ;)

If you got a classic controller plugged into the wiimote, you can control the pointer in the wii menu with the left analog stick, even there you can spot the difference between 50/60hz.

Rimshot

The one saying 576i has to be 50Hz surely havnt bought a gaming console since ps1, and no new tv at that also. ( Sorry for the hate ^^)

Pal 60Hz exist and has been an option on every of the lastgen pal systems. Nowdays it isnt even an option always. Default on Pal 60hz, if your tv cant handle it then you can't ply it.

RTEmagicC_GCN_PAL60Hz_ONLY_UKV_ROT.gif.gif

soco

Rimshot said:
The one saying 576i has to be 50Hz surely havnt bought a gaming console since ps1, and no new tv at that also. ( Sorry for the hate ^^)

Pal 60Hz exist and has been an option on every of the lastgen pal systems. Nowdays it isnt even an option always. Default on Pal 60hz, if your tv cant handle it then you can't ply it.

i'm fairly certain PAL60 doesn't work in 576i, but rather 480i.

from Wikipedia:
A "PAL 60" signal is similar to an NTSC (525/30) signal but with a PAL chrominance subcarrier at 4.43 MHz (instead of 3.58).

Manp

Rimshot said:

actually PAL60 has the same resolution and refresh rate as an NTSC signal. the only difference is that the chrominance subcarrier is 4.43 MHz (equal to PAL) instead of 3.38 MHz of a typical NTSC signal

:)

edit: beaten once again :lol

Banned
576i is only a higher resolution if the game is running at 25fps, if it's running at 50 then it's going to be equivalent to 288p. 576i will also suffer from motion artefacts, whereas 480p won't.

With the Wii, most games seem to have the flicker-filter enabled when you use an interlaced setting, completely blurring all the detail out of the game. (though many games are starting to leave it enabled in 480p as well now)

Many games still aren't properly optimised for 576i either, which means they'll run a lot slower. This video demonstrates it pretty well: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b0llsb77Esc

(this is also why I imported a US machine, rather than buying PAL, as almost all VC titles run slow on the PAL systems)

Kosma

Banned
I noticed that Wii Sports looks worse in 576i as opposed to 480p while RE4 looks better in 576i. Dammit Nintendo.

Guess it's back to 480i...or p.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

*head explodes*

Bildi

Depends on the deinterlacer and scaler in your TV. I've looked a couple of times with both the Wii and 360 comparing 50hz and 60hz and 480p and 576i.

I can't see the difference so I leave everything on 60hz and hence the Wii is on 480p.

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
I noticed that Wii Sports looks worse in 576i as opposed to 480p while RE4 looks better in 576i. Dammit Nintendo.

Guess it's back to 480i...or p.
RE4 is one of the games that always has the flicker filter enabled, even in 480p, I believe, and also uses some effects which were only designed with an interlaced display in mind (most of the fog effects, iirc) so it probably does benefit more from the extra resolution. I don't know if it runs slower or not though.

Zelda also has some effects designed for interlaced displays (again, most of the smoke/fog effects are only drawn with half the horizontal lines) but as it doesn't use the flicker-filter in 480p, it looks a lot crisper. (in 480i/576i it's really blurry)

As a general rule, you should just be leaving the Wii in 480p though, and accept the fact that most games just look pretty poor. It's more to do with technical issues than the fact that it's running in 480p though.

p3tran

Banned
Rimshot said:

hey, no problem for the hate, you are wrong on the "never bought console/tv" thing though.. :)
as I said, it is my personal preference, or in other words, I see that zelda looks better on my hdtv on 576i.
I tested that a couple of times, switching settings and resolutions, and the graphics on zelda seemed better (to me).

cant say I switched resolutions for testing on excitetruck though,
so the other guys may have a point about minor framerate differences or what have you. dont know about that.

I am using wii on a sammy le32r71 panel with aftermarket component cables.
image seems a little bit more washed out than progressive scan, but image quality for me is much better (lees apparent jaggies) and you can always fix the colors/contrast a bit on the tv.

Rimshot

p3tran said:
hey, no problem for the hate, you are wrong on the "never bought console/tv" thing though.. :)
as I said, it is my personal preference, or in other words, I see that zelda looks better on my hdtv on 576i.
I tested that a couple of times, switching settings and resolutions, and the graphics on zelda seemed better (to me).

cant say I switched resolutions for testing on excitetruck though,
so the other guys may have a point about minor framerate differences or what have you. dont know about that.

I am using wii on a sammy le32r71 panel with aftermarket component cables.
image seems a little bit more washed out than progressive scan, but image quality for me is much better (lees apparent jaggies) and you can always fix the colors/contrast a bit on the tv.

I find both settings horrible on my hdtv :s
Guess it's too low res for my scaler to try and hide anything or it's just me that's picky.

Though i found changing the contrast/sharpness took care of alot of the jaggies in 480p.
Though it was some major valuechanges in both those bars ^

Wow you people are crazy, 480p looks miles better than 576i on a HDTV! 576i is like having vaseline smudged over your TV while having the game move like a snail! 480p is much sharper, the colours are richer (Nice and inky :D) and the motion is much faster and smoother (Yay for true 60FPS!)

Also doesn't 576i actually have a lower vertical resolution than 480p anyway?

Rimshot said:
Though i found changing the contrast/sharpness took care of alot of the jaggies in 480p. Though it was some major valuechanges in both those bars ^

You should have the sharpness low anyway, it just artificially enhances the edges on lcds after a certain point.

Outrun 2006 on the PS2 at 480p via component looks superb. Bright, vibrant, clear, crisp and all of those type of words. 576i Blurry, jerky, undefined with diluted colors and as the poster above me stated it was slower.

Top Bottom