• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which of the two do you plan on buying?

• PS5 Only

Votes: 309 60.2%
  • XBX Only

Votes: 87 17.0%
  • Both

Votes: 95 18.5%
  • Sticking To Switch

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • Sticking To PS4/XBO

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters
Most people don't care about Xbox though.

Not now, not ever.
Just watch how things unfold if there is a Series S.

Of course, that's why the 360 took half Sony's market share and Xbox One sold +/- 50M consoles after the worst and most disastrous console reveal in gaming history.
None of your (Sony camp) predictions have come true since the next-gen consoles have been announced and that's not gonna change come the end of the year.

Armchair analysts are always wrong, today tomorrow and forever.

Last edited:
I mean does it need to be said? For all the blustering that the Xbox fans have been doing on GAF about how it’s the “stronger” console and blah blah, at the end of the day, consumers know what they want and PS5 is going to give it to them. Combine the better exclusives with millions of people in Sony’s ecosystem and ready for the next generation and you get this poll. We’ve seen multiple times already that the strongest console doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to win.

Psykodad

Banned
Of course, that's why the 360 took half Sony's market share and Xbox One sold +/- 50M consoles after the worst and most disastrous console reveal in gaming history.
None of your (Sony camp) predictions have come true since the next-gen consoles have been announced and that's not gonna change come the end of the year.

What predictions?

So far I was wrong about Sony showing games during the GDC presentation.
That's about it.

I've been saying all this time, MS has a problem IF they have a Series S as well and PS5 is around 9Tf.
The consoles haven't been released yet, so this is still open.

Besides, you seem to ignore the "IF"-part, because I've been pretty specific about that.

You're cheering about the specs too much.

Last edited:

dottme

I’ve put PS5 but there is still some chance for me to change my mind. I’m still waiting to see the games and the price.
The only thing I know is that I don’t want the XSX as it doesn’t fit in my multimedia setup.

I mean does it need to be said? For all the blustering that the Xbox fans have been doing on GAF about how it’s the “stronger” console and blah blah, at the end of the day, consumers know what they want and PS5 is going to give it to them. Combine the better exclusives with millions of people in Sony’s ecosystem and ready for the next generation and you get this poll. We’ve seen multiple times already that the strongest console doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to win.

SEX still the stronger console though.

Everybody buying the Switch doesn't make it a more powerful console.

They could even add an SSD double the speed of the PS5 one and it would still be the less powerful console.

And if the gap between Xbox and PS next gen is as small as this poll suggests that's a major fail for Sony.

Last edited:

Eliciel

I am not even surprised by the results of this poll to be honest. Explain to me exactly why you would buy a console which content you will be able to buy on your PC conveniently via Gold Pass/Game Pass?

...don't get me wrong I am not meaning Xbox per sé, I am referring to a general framework of thinking. Why would you pay 500€ for a piece of hardware which content you can already own on a different piece of hardware? So, in general, if PS5 goes the same route and all exclusives are available on PC indeed, there will be the same set of questions coming towards the PS5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone ever said that XSX was going to win. Or they are extremely delusional.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I am not even surprised by the results of this poll to be honest. Explain to me exactly why you would buy a console which content you will be able to buy on your PC conveniently via Gold Pass/Game Pass?

...don't get me wrong I am not meaning Xbox per sé, I am referring to a general framework of thinking. Why would you pay 500€ for a piece of hardware which content you can already own on a different piece of hardware? So, in general, if PS5 goes the same route and all exclusives are available on PC indeed, there will be the same set of questions coming towards the PS5.

This guy has the greatest point here in bold. If one was to only buy one of them, clearly it'll make the most sense to get the PS5 and then play the Xbox games on your PC or laptop.

HawarMiran

Banned

The last part tho😂😂😂😂. Are you reading the shit you write before you press "reply"

Humdinger

A GAF poll just finished on the same subject, and the results were very similar to IGN. 70% of next-gen console buyers are getting PS5. And 45.3% of them are getting an XSX. That's a 1.53 to 1 ratio.

Last edited:

They could even add an SSD double the speed of the PS5 one and it would still be the less powerful console.

And if the gap between Xbox and PS next gen is as small as this poll suggests that's a major fail for Sony.

It's actually a win for Sony. This poll is going to be more representative of the mindset in the US/UK than it is the world. Now, that doesn't mean the XSX cann't win those territories. What it does mean, however, is that it will be a close battle if it does. Like the 5M-6M lead Sony has, now. Japan alone will be 8M-9M in Sony's favor. That wipes that completely out. EU is PlayStation land. Even the PS3, with its crazy price, outsold the 360 there by ~10M. This gen it was more like ~35M above Xbox. I think next gen will be similar.

And everybody buying the Switch shows that power means very little. As long as the PS5 is a good leap ahead of this gen, which it is, that is all anyone really cares about when it comes to power. Price, games, and appealing HW (think design and interesting features, not just power) are FAR more important.

lol Man you are a hardcore one aren’t you? Please show us where 1X being the stronger console led to it outselling PS4 Pro. Please show us where Xbox 360 being more powerful led to it outselling the Wii. Please show us where Xbox being more powerful led to it outselling the PS2. See, you’re one of those “fans” that will stick their fingers in their ears and go “LALALA XBOX IS MORE POWERFUL” while the rest of the world doesn’t care as they buy more PS5s and join the Playstation ecosystem. Not to mention your major fail from the poll? This is from IGN which services many English speaking countries. What does that tell you that the territories MS supposedly dominates, consumers want the other console?

And the irony? Developers are already coming out saying that the difference in teraflops don’t tell the whole story and that Sony’s console will possibly outperform the XSX in real world performance! So tell me, what leg do you have to stand on when being “stronger” isn’t going to lead to more sales and your monster console gets out maneuvered by a weaker console and is still going to get outsold? I’ll let you chew on that. 👌🏾

It's actually a win for Sony. This poll is going to be more representative of the mindset in the US/UK than it is the world. Now, that doesn't mean the XSX cann't win those territories. What it does mean, however, is that it will be a close battle if it does. Like the 5M-6M lead Sony has, now. Japan alone will be 8M-9M in Sony's favor. That wipes that completely out. EU is PlayStation land. Even the PS3, with its crazy price, outsold the 360 there by ~10M. This gen it was more like ~35M above Xbox. I think next gen will be similar.

And everybody buying the Switch shows that power means very little. As long as the PS5 is a good leap ahead of this gen, which it is, that is all anyone really cares about when it comes to power. Price, games, and appealing HW (think design and interesting features, not just power) are FAR more important.

I see next-gen closer to 360 vs PS3 than this gen. Sony "only" outsold MS 2:1 this gen and they needed the biggest fukc up in gaming history from MS to achieve that. This gen they reached their prime, won't be reaching the same levels next-gen especially if the console is as expensive is Bloomberg reported a few weeks ago.

Fake.

Or it's US only. I don't see any reason for people to jump from PS to anything else in Europe and Japan.

Edit: yeah. It's more likely to be US + UK. The good news is that people want new hardwares.

Last edited:
lol Man you are a hardcore one aren’t you? Please show us where 1X being the stronger console led to it outselling PS4 Pro. Please show us where Xbox 360 being more powerful led to it outselling the Wii. Please show us where Xbox being more powerful led to it outselling the PS2. See, you’re one of those “fans” that will stick their fingers in their ears and go “LALALA XBOX IS MORE POWERFUL” while the rest of the world doesn’t care as they buy more PS5s and join the Playstation ecosystem. Not to mention your major fail from the poll? This is from IGN which services many English speaking countries. What does that tell you that the territories MS supposedly dominates, consumers want the other console?

And the irony? Developers are already coming out saying that the difference in teraflops don’t tell the whole story and that Sony’s console will possibly outperform the XSX in real world performance! So tell me, what leg do you have to stand on when being “stronger” isn’t going to lead to more sales and your monster console gets out maneuvered by a weaker console and is still going to get outsold? I’ll let you chew on that. 👌🏾

I repeat, if the gap between MS and Sony is smaller next-gen than this gen it's a fail for Sony. Losing market share is never a win. Just like going from 120M+ sold with PS2 to 85m sold with PS3 is a fail.

Read the 1st 2 sentences of your post and stopped there. I highly doubt I missed out on anything interesting.

vpance

A GAF poll just finished on the same subject, and the results were very similar to IGN. 70% of next-gen console buyers are getting PS5. And 45.3% of them are getting an XSX. That's a 1.53 to 1 ratio.

What's the current install base breakdown for both in the US? Must be at pretty similar ratio.

joe_zazen

More people want the weaker console?!? Holy shit, the world is crazy. This is like not buying the most powerful....idk....wife or something.

martino

MS will not lead but sony will still loose players
(if they can advertised most and cheaper system)
Not sure this poll is relevant but we are to not at 1 to 2+ like this gen.

ZywyPL

Banned

I don't know, because people want to play on a 500$ consoles instead of 2000$ PC?

Also more interested in the Series X at the moment. And that's simply because I know a lot about it already, whereas I know jack shit about the PS5 except it has a fast SSD.

Why would you pay 500€ for a piece of hardware which content you can already own on a different piece of hardware?
What about us peasants that don't want to buy gaming PCs?
My 10 year old macbook is still good enough for all my browsing and work needs, so I am more into buying dedicated gaming hardware.

Last edited:
I see next-gen closer to 360 vs PS3 than this gen. Sony "only" outsold MS 2:1 this gen and they needed the biggest fukc up in gaming history from MS to achieve that. This gen they reached their prime, won't be reaching the same levels next-gen especially if the console is as expensive is Bloomberg reported a few weeks ago.

The only reason 360 was that close was because Sony had the biggest fuck up. A complex architecture that lead to weaker multiplats for the first year or two. Games initially took longer to make on it, again, because of the architecture. And, most importantly, the price between the two was $200, 2x the initial price gap between the XBO and PS4. Sony still worked their asses off and beat the 360 in the end. This gen was just a return to their old PS2 ways. And next gen will be the same. So, unless Sony has another major fuck up, it won't be like 360 vs PS3.

As for price, Sony always takes a loss at the beginning. They took a $200 loss with the PS3 because they deemed it neccessary. What makes you think they won't take a $50-$100 loss this gen to hit $399? Especially now that they have a steady income coming in from PSN and cash in reserves thanks to the PS4's success. MS, on the other hand, are not interested in losing money on HW. $499 for the XBO and XBOX. They could have taken a loss to match Sony, but didn't. Only about 7 months after launch, when the BOM price had fallen to break even, did they ditch Kinect and drop the price. They are also more interested in streaming than they are pushing HW, now.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Brand loyalty. Simple as that. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say Microsoft really botched this past generation with the xbox one (specifically in regards to first party games). I loved my xbox 360, but man what a disappointment the xbox one was/is. Hardware-wise, they are on point, but gonna need more than that.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

No shit you forgot to also mention that the 360 was able to take a good portion of the market because they released a whole year before the ps3. People starving for a next gen experience went there first because it was the only thing offered.

And yea there release was a disaster but compared to last gen and to this gen they sold roughly 40-50 million less than what they did the gen before.

Kagero

Probably PS5 :| I'm old and these things don't interest me all too much nowadays, but there are some games I'm really excited about that are owned by Sony.

Romulus

We have to keep in mind this poll reflects more of the hardcore gamers not the casuals that do the bulk of the buying. I honestly expected xbox to do a bit better considering Sony's awful communication and slight power deficiency.

Eliciel

Also more interested in the Series X at the moment. And that's simply because I know a lot about it already, whereas I know jack shit about the PS5 except it has a fast SSD.

What about us peasants that don't want to buy gaming PCs?
My 10 year old macbook is still good enough for all my browsing and work needs, so I am more into buying dedicated gaming hardware.

True, nothing to debate about. For you and people Like you it IS indeed great (If prices are kept fair, but they should)

Bogey

Banned
Hard to say. Not sure I'll buy either (more of a PC gamer usually), but if I do ... hmm.

Simply going by hardware specs, I obviously prefer XBX a lot. And I like the way MS has taken with it, after that horrible XBone disaster.
Having said that, I like Sony games a whole lot more. Not a big fan of shooters, so I could care less for Halo and many other xbox exclusives. So "sadly", if I do end up buying one, it'd probably be PS5 for me anyway.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not sure who I'll buy first

Xbox shows more powah, but I kinda want to play God of War in full 4K

Airbus Jr

Banned
Meanwhile on Neogaf

PS5 only = 114 vote

Xbox Series X = 29 vote

Told you this is a brutal place for xbox

Lord have mercy

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
I'll buy both when they're as good as dead five or six years down the line. Will stick with my PC and whatever Nintendo pulls out of its arse in the meantime.

Top Bottom