• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which of the two do you plan on buying?

• PS5 Only

Votes: 309 60.2%
  • XBX Only

Votes: 87 17.0%
  • Both

Votes: 95 18.5%
  • Sticking To Switch

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • Sticking To PS4/XBO

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

XOMTOR

I've owned PS1-3 and PSP. PS3 left a sour taste in my mouth so I switched to PC. I was all set to go with the PS5 but Sony screwed backward compatibility so I may as well go Xbox this time around.

The Sega Saturn shat on PS1 in terms of power

Misleading and generally WRONG.
It had the better CPU, but in terms of handling 3D, the big thing that defined that generation, it was much weaker than the PS1. However, there were so many things that went wrong with the Saturn that lead to its demise.
Of course power isn't everything, but it's important, otherwise there's little reason to consider upgrading a console at all if it doesn't provide additional features. That power has been an important element in marketing is also a fact, since the days of BLAST PROCESSING and SUPER POWER and probably before. There's of course a lot of other things that determine success, from price, release, features, marketing, games, etc, but impressions of power certainly is likely to be one as well to help. I think being in the ballpark is probably fine with the general consumer, but they'll also be faced with "Xbox Series X - the most powerful console yet", which might sway them. It might further be affected by there being actual difference in performance on titles. With 3rd party being a big part of what you play, having the better experience might also lead to preferring a console. Of course, Sony could in this case bank on their faster SSD providing "a better experience", but if they fail overall in terms of other aspects, it might not be enough.

For me, I'm curious about sound. Not 3D sound, but the actual noise made by the consoles. PS4 has been hell in terms of noise and that might be the defining thing to tip things over. If not for me, then for my wife.
The controller is another. PS4 battery time has also been terrible and the lack of battery packs and my wife being terrible at charging things, has lead to a lot of headache in terms of the controller running out of power.
What will sell the next generation is a vision. That was what Sony did so masterfully last time with the PS4. It was allowed to sell this vision due to Microsoft's poor vision for the Xbox One. Being tuned into the consumer's wants, even those they didn't know they wanted. That's what matters. See Microsoft going for battery packs for their controller. Making the consumer have the best experience is important.
Games are also important, but I can only think of a handful of IPs that are selling for me and they're unlikely to show up on either. If anything new IPs are probably far more important and an important part of establishing the next generation. Heck, PS4 launch window games were rather "meh" (outside of Resogun and honestly, that's still likely an enthusiast title) and was probably slightly outdone by the Xbox One.

I'd say both Microsoft and Sony have overall done a few mistakes with regards to the next generation consoles. Microsoft the least, but I feel like they've been a bit too early. In return they've been pretty straight forwards in terms of message and has without doubt been perceived as the most actual console. Thus Sony has had to follow. However, they've presented a lot in some areas, but underrepresented other areas. They've been revealing a lot more about the hardware, but much less about anything else. I don't know if that's necessarily the best. More so they've gone pretty conservative with their controller, which I felt could've used a new feature. Sony tried with the light on the PS4 controller and although it's likely generally seen as a failure, at least it was an attempt at something new. I actually like the touchpad button on the PS4, so I'm curious whether that stays.
Sony has failed by disclosing too much before the hype reveal. What they did masterfully in 2013, they seemingly took a different approach to this time around. Maybe, as some have suggested, they wanted the talk about teraflops to calm down, so it doesn't take the focus from other feature reveals and game reveals. More so they've talked a lot, but not shown anything. So selling a vision becomes harder. What they've done is create a vision of a quick loading console that doesn't waste your time and which provides you with 3D audio. However, that's hard to distinguish itself on compared to a simple thing like "most powerful". Then again, maybe their strategy will work better. I had hoped that they'd follow more along the 2013 strategy though.

This IGN poll is just bollocks though and isn't representative of anything other than IGN readers that saw the poll and bothered voting. My guess based on current data is that Microsoft likely will regain ground. They do have a problem in terms of Europe, Japan and the Middle East (which from my impression at least is Sonyland). However, I don't think that's set in stone, although brand power is definitely affecting things. The Switch has sold very well because it has really sold the vision and Nintendo has handled that marketing really well. It also controls its own market space being a hybrid, as well as having a defining feature that allows ports to be attractive.
Microsoft needs to get into the EU market by focusing on why Xbox is what you want to play Fifa on. It must be able to sell the vision of why going over to Xbox isn't a hassle. It needs some third person action/adventure games. It probably should have a RPG game that'll be defining. Even if they don't tend to be the biggest seller (outside of a few examples), they add value to a lot of gamers in considering a console purchase. In my impression a lot of story driven games tend to draw a lot of women in. Having something that'll appeal to families or groups of people is important, whether more cartoony games and platformers with 2+ player capabilities (hate on Knack if you want, but it definitely was played by my daughter and my wife) or social games like Buzz, Singstar and That's you!. Most important of all is trying to show that you're trying to appeal to those various people and not just make the games, so making it an integral part of the marketing of the console is important. Heck, look at some of Sony's masterful commercials that really pulled the nostalgia strings for a lot of people.

TL; DR
No about Saturn. However, yes to power not meaning everything (but who has claimed that?).
Poll is crap
I think Microsoft will gain ground on Sony, but they need a good vision and strategy to do well in other areas like EU, JAP and the Middle East.

Last edited:

Kerlesly

Neo Member
Every console generation has had its fair size of limitations, I dont wanna enter that discussion on which one is more powerfull cause honestly that leads nowhere, today only I saw like 4 or 5 threads speaking on that crap, first one was funny and I laughed.. not anymore.

Ps5 for me if it fits the JRPG / arcade racing genre, and there's nothing on that anounced at this point that am aware of, so all this hype means nothing to me. Probably I will keep rocking my Ps4 with a backlog of 30 something games (Currently playing Automata to give a you hint where am standing in).

Now the other strong point is I purchased a vanilla Ps4 and to this day its still going strong (It may start flying any minute with that noise) but back in the day I remember I purchased 3 psx's and 5 ps2's so its at least reliable now for me. If they manage to keep that with good games am in.

Kagey K

Banned
The poll doesn't represent this whatsoever. Are you actually suggesting that most people should purchase XSX just because of the fact that's it's marginally more powerful? That's so damn delusional and it's interesting seeing so many Xbox fans slowly but surely coming to the realisation that TFlops don't mean jack.

It does in fact mean exactly that. We have no idea on pricing or games. Yet so many people have already decided one way or another.

If that isn’t brand loyalty or emotion attachment, I don’t know what is.

Your extra little tirade at the end just further cements the point.

teezzy

Banned
I don't even get why I would bother buying an Xbox since most of the games I can already play on PC with Game Pass. Sony has been dominating the exclusives for so long while Xbox exclusives keep flopping, outside of potentially the new Halo. It literally makes no sense to buy Xbox at launch.

Being able to access a similar library between my XB1 S, PC, and Series X between three different gaming setups in the house appeals to me enough to get me to buy a Series X at launch.

thelastword

Banned
Was there any doubt what the polls all over would reflect? Games trumps all...….Even now, without SWWS announcing anything, we already know two games will be 4K 60fps on PS5 utilizing lots of physics and RT...….These are only precursors to the juggernauts from first parties.....

For me ps5 definitely on launch and possibly series x if multiplatform ports are significantly better. I would also like to play the Xbox back catalogue, especially the xbox one exclusives I missed out on (ok only a handful, but still).

Rockondevil

I’m an Xbox and Nintendo guy but I’m surprised the gap isn’t larger than that. Sony will obviously sell more and if you think otherwise you’re crazy.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m an Xbox and Nintendo guy but I’m surprised the gap isn’t larger than that. Sony will obviously sell more and if you think otherwise you’re crazy.
Anyone who is a Sony fan should be excited for them to have to scratch and claw every bit of market share they can. That is when games become exciting and they start doing things to incentivize the fans.

I want companies to do bad at first so I can get in on the hardware and reap the rewards later.

Lort

Banned
Looking at the Neogaf poll.. I’m guessing most xbox customers left here long ago.

SonyGAF forever!

Lort

Banned
Team green needs to use that report button more. Stop turning the other cheek when they are baiting you into bans.
Yup I have to give it to the mods... they told me if I report things they would take action.... and they do.

It’s amusing how every thread that’s a real developer talking about xbox is instantly tagged clickbait and opinion and yet some random blogger gets his own thread and it’s neither of those things... but I report them .. then the mods fix it up.

100% agree we just need more people reporting stuff

Malcolm9

I think people are missing that this poll is very skewed towards the US. It's not going to be a 60-40 split WW. If anything, it shows very little changing. Remember, PS4 didn't have a huge lead in the US this gen. Right now, it's something like a 5M-6M lead. We could see a repeat of that this gen.

To be the fair the UK and US are the only countries where the Xbox is popular.

Max_Po

Banned
I've owned PS1-3 and PSP. PS3 left a sour taste in my mouth so I switched to PC. I was all set to go with the PS5 but Sony screwed backward compatibility so I may as well go Xbox this time around.

Yea, if you have a " PC " .. MS isn't making Uncharted 4, Horizon ZD, Spiderman, inFamous bloodbourne "BC" on XboxOne Series X ....

Kagey K

Banned
Yup I have to give it to the mods... they told me if I report things they would take action.... and they do.

It’s amusing how every thread that’s a real developer talking about xbox is instantly tagged clickbait and opinion and yet some random blogger gets his own thread and it’s neither of those things... but I report them .. then the mods fix it up.

100% agree we just need more people reporting stuff
I think for too long, Xbox players got used to playing against each other and we let it all slide.

Now they have entire discord’s planned out and reply to try to bait people into bans, and that kind of shit has to stop.

It shouldn’t be about trying to get the other team banned, it should be about all gamers enjoying our time in games.

Looking at the Neogaf poll.. I’m guessing most xbox customers left here long ago.

SonyGAF forever!
They didn’t leave, they were forcibly removed.

Apparantly they moderate by reports and team blue loves smashing the button.

You realize nobody is forcing you two to be here right? I’m sure there’s a section on GameFAQs for you guys where Big Bad Sony and their fanboys won’t hurt you again.

Kagey K

Banned
Yea, if you have a " PC " .. MS isn't making Uncharted 4, Horizon ZD, Spiderman, inFamous bloodbourne "BC" on XboxOne Series X ....

No but they are making them playable on PC, which he already says he owns.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
You realize nobody is forcing you two to be here right? I’m sure there’s a section on GameFAQs for you guys where Big Bad Sony and their fanboys won’t hurt you again.
As we just pointed out I am the one that gets banned for hurting others feelings.

.. and if the few of us who are still here left you legally would have to change the name to SonyGAF.

Vroadstar

To be the fair the UK and US are the only countries where the Xbox is popular.

Agree, Xbox still got some foothold and that's good but unfortunately as per the person you quoted, most likely we will see a repeat again next-gen.
I mean being third among the consoles is not bad, MS and it's fans just have to look at it at glass half-full

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I find it funny that we stuck around here and you only came back after you got permabanned from Reeeee and you are questioning why we are here.

As we just pointed out I am the one that gets banned for hurting others feelings.

.. and if the few of us who are still here left you legally would have to change the name to SonyGAF.

🙄
I find it funny that we stuck around here and you only came back after you got permabanned from Reeeee and you are questioning why we are here.

Lol This is hilarious. I’m still waiting for this grand unveiling that was supposed to happen weeks ago when someone else accused me of being some person from Era who got permabanned. So who am I, Kagey K? You seem to have all the answers. 😂😂😂

Dargor

Due to mid gen refreshes and the big possibility of sony's games coming to pc, I'm not sure I'll get a console this gen. But if I end up buying one, its probably gonna be a ps5.

There should be a "if I buy" option in the poll.

Kagey K

Banned
🙄

Lol This is hilarious. I’m still waiting for this grand unveiling that was supposed to happen weeks ago when someone else accused me of being some person from Era who got permabanned. So who am I, Kagey K? You seem to have all the answers. 😂😂😂
Nobody grand, and a nobody. Just a follower, nobody worth mentioning there and nobody here.

The only reason I know you had an account there is because of what you posted.

Otherwise you are forgettable.

Last edited:
Nobody grand, and a nobody. Just a follower, nobody worth mentioning there and nobody here.

The only reason I know you had an account there is because of what you posted.

Otherwise you are forgettable.

So you basically falsely accused me of being some random, have no proof to back up your asinine assumption, and then in a pathetic attempt to save face, post a gif of a sheep. Holy shit. I’ve seen some stupidity on this board so far, but you take the cake with your console warrior routine. Begone child.

Kagey K

Banned
So you basically falsely accused me of being some random, have no proof to back up your asinine assumption, and then in a pathetic attempt to save face, post a gif of a sheep. Holy shit. I’ve seen some stupidity on this board so far, but you take the cake with your console warrior routine. Begone child.
Nope.

Bye hun.

you are a Ree random that no longer exists to me.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They didn’t leave, they were forcibly removed.

Apparantly they moderate by reports and team blue loves smashing the button.

We are doing our best to let people discuss these new systems because that is what people want to talk about. Frankly IMO I dont give a shit about the power difference really I just am looking forward to the games.

There is no bias on our end other than bouncing shitheads/trolls/people who ignore warnings.

Top Bottom