• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which of the two do you plan on buying?

• PS5 Only

Votes: 309 60.2%
  • XBX Only

Votes: 87 17.0%
  • Both

Votes: 95 18.5%
  • Sticking To Switch

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • Sticking To PS4/XBO

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

Lort

Banned
So back to my point ... this poll results are pretty amusing. I would say they are more telling of this site than actually the public. But if you want to predict next gen xbox looses market share go for it.

I’m guessing Sony will outsell xbox by about 10% this generation.

what does everyone else predict?

GHG

So back to my point ... this poll results are pretty amusing. I would say they are more telling of this site than actually the public. But if you want to predict next gen xbox looses market share go for it.

I’m guessing Sony will outsell xbox by about 10% this generation.

what does everyone else predict?

How are the poll results amusing?

It's pretty much on par with what we've seen this generation once the Switch is discounted and that market share percentage is equally distributed across the two consoles. Are you not including the numbers for "both"?

This is the crux of the matter, you're actually taking things like poll results to heart.

sneas78

Banned
I chose both, i really want to play hellblade 2, so depending on what games I want to play first and comes out first.. well I’m getting both... but one down the road .

93xfan

Banned
Starting Xbox only. Can’t wait for path traced Minecraft and I just feel so much more secure in the Xbox ecosystem as I’ve been a long time gamer who highly values BC going back decades ago.

Doesn’t hurt that I’m a huge Socom 2 fan and a huge Halo fan, and only one of those series is being treated right.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
funny things about polls is do people believe them? there was a poll on here not long ago asking which was a better game, Forza or GTS and Forza was winning and I think finished ahead but everybody was saying that polls don't matter and its was a better game. I think when it comes down to it and more information is out there a lot could change their mind

IGN has predominantly US viewers. So this skew in favor of the PS5 most probably represents the US market alone.

Meanwhile, Xbox doesn't sell in Europe and Asia.

Poll in Europe and Asia would probably net XSEX close to 10%.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I am not even surprised by the results of this poll to be honest. Explain to me exactly why you would buy a console which content you will be able to buy on your PC conveniently via Gold Pass/Game Pass?

...don't get me wrong I am not meaning Xbox per sé, I am referring to a general framework of thinking. Why would you pay 500€ for a piece of hardware which content you can already own on a different piece of hardware? So, in general, if PS5 goes the same route and all exclusives are available on PC indeed, there will be the same set of questions coming towards the PS5.

I have no interest in building a PC. Tinkering with so many settings and doing a bunch of research before buying each part and then spending all that money is just of 0 interest to me, and I’m sure many others feel the same.

Plus I’d hate being disadvantaged playing with a controller against M&K users in shooters.

The interface with many features such as the multi game resume looks so good on Xbox.

IKSTUGA

If I still have a job at the end of the year, I'm getting both. Otherwise it's most likely gonna be just SEX. I must get PS5 at some point for the eventual GOW2, Persona etc.

Soulsdark

Sony fanboys are by far more vocal and active on social medias than Xbox fanboys, it's not surprising.
With that said PS5 will probably sell more regardless, their exclusives just pander super hard to '' normies '' and they have a lot of big franchises under their belt.

Long term tho Xbox might actually catch up more if they get some really great exclusives, nothing lasts forever same goes for Playstation.
I don't think that they'll dominate so hard forever.

Edit: Personally I am actually looking at a Switch right now lol.
I have absolutely no interest in either Xbox nor Playstation, but there are a ton of games on the Switch that I really want to play.

Last edited:

Efe

I'm planning to buy none. PC master race represent!

kisspng-pc-master-race-personal-computer-video-games-pc-ga-couples-5b6fc793defb99.7526579715340522439134.jpg

Soulsdark

I have no interest in building a PC. Tinkering with so many settings and doing a bunch of research before buying each part and then spending all that money is just of 0 interest to me, and I’m sure many others feel the same.

Plus I’d hate being disadvantaged playing with a controller against M&K users in shooters.

The interface with many features such as the multi game resume looks so good on Xbox.

It's not hard to ask online for help tho.
There are forums where people will help you to put one together for whatever budget you may have.

Everyone started from zero, learning about PC hardware ain't that hard really and it feels great to build it.
I really enjoy the process personally.
But even if you don't know anything it's really easy to just ask people and they'll be more than happy to help ( altho ask in the right places, I've seen people give really really awful advice without hesitation. A lot of people just look at what they have and recommend that without know anything ).

Soulsdark

When Sony reveals games, difference will be bigger.

Something that I've always wondered tho.
How many people really do buy consoles based on exclusives?

I think that maybe people overestimate it a little, like how many people for example bought TLOU and GoW simply because they already owned a PS and how many bought a PS specifically for those games?
I actually remember hearing more people say that they simply bought a PS3 for the blu ray back when the PS3 was just coming out than the exclusives lol.

Jadsey

I think that maybe people overestimate it a little, like how many people for example bought TLOU and GoW simply because they already owned a PS and how many bought a PS specifically for those games?
I actually remember hearing more people say that they simply bought a PS3 for the blu ray back when the PS3 was just coming out than the exclusives lol.

I for one was an avid Xbox owner for a long while, even through the disastrous launch of the Xbox One.

Then I bought a PS4 specifically for Bloodborne....never looked back. The endless stream of fantastic games on PlayStation is truly mind-boggling.

The PlayStation exclusives and ecosystem is so vastly superior to Xbox, it's not even funny. I am actually angry with myself for not having a PlayStation sooner....I was a fool.

etp_1

I skipped actual generation but i bought a fat PS 3 for an "glorified demo" namely GT 5 : Prologue alone. No regrets whatsoever, in fact i had a wonderful and joyful time back then and reminiscing that time gives a smile to me. I didnt care for BC, i didnt care for the Linux thing and i didnt care for Bluray. In that regard i would absolutly buy a PS 5 for Gran Turismo alone if personal circumstances would align. Most likely i would buy another games over time but there are (at least for me) system selling games and there is no alternative for GT.

Klayzer

You ignoring the same group on the Sony side for a reason?
Should I? Do they play the Gaf conspiracy card regularly? That's all I'm talking about. If you get baited so easily when another user is critical, or trolls your preferred console, that's absolutely on you.

History wise, software only matters, not hardware. Software is about those extra games(exclusives).
NES, Gameboy, SNES, Playstation, PS2, PS3, PS4. All of them had the edge in software and a few times in hardware.

XOMTOR

Yea, if you have a " PC " .. MS isn't making Uncharted 4, Horizon ZD, Spiderman, inFamous bloodbourne "BC" on XboxOne Series X ....

My PC is far too old now to play anything recent. Looking to go back to consoles; just don't have the time any more to tinker with PCs and the prices on parts are insane unless your're in the USA. Half jokingly, I think Nvidia has single-handedly soured me of PC gaming for good.

As for Sony exclusives, I'm no longer married to them; I've played enough Uncharted and God of War to last a lifetime.

As for Sony exclusives, I'm no longer married to them; I've played enough Uncharted and God of War to last a lifetime.
Uncharted has 4 main games(a 13 years old ip) and God of War starts a new series of games. Literally only the title is the same as the previous.

Also, Sony studios have every generation more new IPs than anyone.

Last edited:

Soulsdark

I for one was an avid Xbox owner for a long while, even through the disastrous launch of the Xbox One.

Then I bought a PS4 specifically for Bloodborne....never looked back. The endless stream of fantastic games on PlayStation is truly mind-boggling.

The PlayStation exclusives and ecosystem is so vastly superior to Xbox, it's not even funny. I am actually angry with myself for not having a PlayStation sooner....I was a fool.

Yeah, but I dunno if that is how most people think really.
Keep in mind that people talking about this online are '' gamers '', people who are more invested than the average joe who just plays very casually and don't keep up too much.

I'll give the PS4 Bloodborne tho, I am still really hoping for a PC port to this day.
That's the one game I really want to play, but I ain't buying a console for one game xD.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
For me its not a question of IF really but a question of WHEN.

I always buy the consoles but someitmes years after launch and with a discount.

Most likely as long as backwards compatibility doesnt shit the bed I will get a PS5 first and xbox much later. I have a XBOX X already and I have a gaming PC. I also have a stack of PS4 gams I never played and I don thave a PS4 Pro, just regular. So if a PS5 can make these games look better when it launches i might pick one up.

Saber

Gold Member
Probably gonna stick with my PS4. Not that I care about specs or anything, but I think its way too early to rush on a new console.
Not to mention the main reason for me still a mystery. I have a bad feeling those news console will have salty prices.

But if everything turns fine, maybe one day I pick PS5.

The only reason 360 was that close was because Sony had the biggest fuck up. A complex architecture that lead to weaker multiplats for the first year or two. Games initially took longer to make on it, again, because of the architecture. And, most importantly, the price between the two was $200, 2x the initial price gap between the XBO and PS4. Sony still worked their asses off and beat the 360 in the end. This gen was just a return to their old PS2 ways. And next gen will be the same. So, unless Sony has another major fuck up, it won't be like 360 vs PS3.

As for price, Sony always takes a loss at the beginning. They took a $200 loss with the PS3 because they deemed it neccessary. What makes you think they won't take a $50-$100 loss this gen to hit $399? Especially now that they have a steady income coming in from PSN and cash in reserves thanks to the PS4's success. MS, on the other hand, are not interested in losing money on HW. $499 for the XBO and XBOX. They could have taken a loss to match Sony, but didn't. Only about 7 months after launch, when the BOM price had fallen to break even, did they ditch Kinect and drop the price. They are also more interested in streaming than they are pushing HW, now.

Only reason PS4 sold so much this gen is because MS had the biggest fuck up. Goes both ways.

And absolutely everything you said in this post can also apply to MS so not sure what your point is..?

Last edited:
It does in fact mean exactly that. We have no idea on pricing or games. Yet so many people have already decided one way or another.

If that isn’t brand loyalty or emotion attachment, I don’t know what is.

Your extra little tirade at the end just further cements the point.

Or it's based on expectations based on history of both companies.

Sony first party studios output is known quality and so is Microsoft
Sony support of local markets with well made localisations is known, and so is Microsoft lack of effort outside US and Western Europe.
Microsoft policy of releasing on both pc and xbox is also known.
People have libraries of existing games
There's assumption that PS5 will have to be cheaper

If incoming information doesn't confirm those expectations then people will start changing their opinions.

93xfan

Banned
It's not hard to ask online for help tho.
There are forums where people will help you to put one together for whatever budget you may have.

Everyone started from zero, learning about PC hardware ain't that hard really and it feels great to build it.
I really enjoy the process personally.
But even if you don't know anything it's really easy to just ask people and they'll be more than happy to help ( altho ask in the right places, I've seen people give really really awful advice without hesitation. A lot of people just look at what they have and recommend that without know anything ).

But I just don’t think I’d enjoy the process. But even if I did, PC is still not something I want. It’s costly, and I would rather play with Halo and other MP shooters against people with a controller.

I’ve weighed the benefits and disadvantages of PC and found it just doesn’t appeal to me.

T-Cake

PC+PS5 the best combo.

If only it were that simple though. I still miss some of the games like Crackdown, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 2+3, that you still need an Xbox for. If only Uncle Phil would give us an official 360 emulator for Windows 10!

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
58.3% of the weirdos that still happen to visit IGN plan to buy a PS5 vs. 38.5% of the weirdos that still happen to visit IGN plan to buy a XBX.

Got it.

Top Bottom