• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

58.3% Plan To Buy A PS5 VS. 38.5% For XBX, According To IGN Poll

Which of the two do you plan on buying?

• PS5 Only

Votes: 309 60.2%
  • XBX Only

Votes: 87 17.0%
  • Both

Votes: 95 18.5%
  • Sticking To Switch

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • Sticking To PS4/XBO

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Let me requote what I have stated.... Because it seems relevant at this moment.

What I am suggesting is that it is really kind of a stretch to root for the PS5 right now when we haven't really seen ANYTHING run on it. We have a spec sheet. We don't even have a picture or a design model of the console. All we know about it is the specs and the brand name.

The XSX on the other hand has already shown what can be done with it, which includes faster loading of older games, more than playable framerates at 4K, the ability to basically immediately resume games that were put on hold, and the ability to 'magically' add HDR to basically any older game. We know the BC is top notch from the start. And I'm pretty sure I forgot a few things.

How anyone can already say they are going for the PS5 is beyond me. As of now, everything we have to compare shows the PS5 is inferior. BC is inferior, specs are inferior aside from SSD speed, and the whole variable performance is a hint towards heat issues. Can it end up better? Sure. But as of now there is zero indication for this.

So I stand by my statement that these poll results show that emotional attachment to a brand is stronger than facts.

Link
The PS5 games will superior

Let me requote what I have stated.... Because it seems relevant at this moment.

What I am suggesting is that it is really kind of a stretch to root for the PS5 right now when we haven't really seen ANYTHING run on it. We have a spec sheet. We don't even have a picture or a design model of the console. All we know about it is the specs and the brand name.

The XSX on the other hand has already shown what can be done with it, which includes faster loading of older games, more than playable framerates at 4K, the ability to basically immediately resume games that were put on hold, and the ability to 'magically' add HDR to basically any older game. We know the BC is top notch from the start. And I'm pretty sure I forgot a few things.

How anyone can already say they are going for the PS5 is beyond me. As of now, everything we have to compare shows the PS5 is inferior. BC is inferior, specs are inferior aside from SSD speed, and the whole variable performance is a hint towards heat issues. Can it end up better? Sure. But as of now there is zero indication for this.

So I stand by my statement that these poll results show that emotional attachment to a brand is stronger than facts.

Link

I don't think it's emotional attachment to be honest , it's been said before and I agree playstation have delivered every gen where games are concerned and isn't that the whole point of a gaming console ? People just know what they are going to get with sony unlike Xbox I don't see Microsoft ever being bigger than Sony in the home console space they have always had the money from the very start so it's not like they can just throw money at it .

Sony and Nintendo is always the answer for me. I get the 1sr party games I want that way as well as all the 3rd party games.

The only Xbox game I'm interested in is Rare Replay.

sircaw

Banned
I can only afford one system and it needs to be the ps5

I try to look at the games.
I am interested in the new Halo and the new Fable but saying that i can see another 10+ games i believe are coming to ps5 that will just be better.

Regrettably i just do not trust Microsoft to deliver. There has been a solid drought of great games on the xbox towards this end of generation. I still see Sony delivering, Death stranding Deams, ffv7, ghost of Tsushima, last of us 2 etc right up to the end of the generation.

Then there is game pass, it worries me. My reason is i worry about the quality of games. Gamepass in theory is great for the consumer, but Microsoft needs to keep it fresh and attractive, means new games need to be added to it frequently. I worry that games will be forced behind the scenes to leave development at and earlier stage thus effecting their overall quality.

Then there is my game library. i have around 40 games that i own. I just can not give that up.

I am interested in perhaps the lockheart but it has to be super cheap for me to even consider it.

Humdinger

Ratio of PS5 to XSX votes is 2.25 to 1. That's almost identical to the 2.26 to 1 ratio I got in a poll 3 months ago. It's very different than the 1.5 to 1 ratio I got in a poll right after the Cerny talk. It's similar to another poll taken just a bit ago, where the ratio was 2.1 to 1.

We've had 4 identical polls in a short span of time, so we should probably give the polls a rest for a while. It'll be interesting to poll again, once the consoles are fully revealed.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

That probably will be the split in USA. Slightly more PS5 percentage in UK too.
And Europe and Asia are Playstation central

splattered

I can only afford one system and it needs to be the ps5

I try to look at the games.
I am interested in the new Halo and the new Fable but saying that i can see another 10+ games i believe are coming to ps5 that will just be better.

Regrettably i just do not trust Microsoft to deliver. There has been a solid drought of great games on the xbox towards this end of generation. I still see Sony delivering, Death stranding Deams, ffv7, ghost of Tsushima, last of us 2 etc right up to the end of the generation.

Then there is game pass, it worries me. My reason is i worry about the quality of games. Gamepass in theory is great for the consumer, but Microsoft needs to keep it fresh and attractive, means new games need to be added to it frequently. I worry that games will be forced behind the scenes to leave development at and earlier stage thus effecting their overall quality.

Then there is my game library. i have around 40 games that i own. I just can not give that up.

I am interested in perhaps the lockheart but it has to be super cheap for me to even consider it.

You can also view it as Sony got complacent and completely blew their wad at the end of this generation while Microsoft has quietly been building up to this new generation since 2016...

Insiders have been saying online that Microsoft is about to blow us away with new game announcements soon.

I'm seeing next to nothing similar for PS5 except for maybe Godfall?

People are just assuming that ps5 will have sequels to all the games they just put out a couple years ago but it takes Sony like 5 years just to make a single game.

I would try and stay as open minded as possible next gen, it might be worth it for you to invest in both the Ps5 and XsX.

Three

Will eventually own both but day one is all about Xbox Series X and in 2023, PlayStation 5 Pro.
Xbox launch consoles don't age well and sony consoles dont offer that much more later, sometimes even less. I usually went PS first because the launch console was usually futureproof then Xbox because later iterations were actually an improvement.

sircaw

Banned
You can also view it as Sony got complacent and completely blew their wad at the end of this generation while Microsoft has quietly been building up to this new generation since 2016...

Insiders have been saying online that Microsoft is about to blow us away with new game announcements soon.

I'm seeing next to nothing similar for PS5 except for maybe Godfall?

People are just assuming that ps5 will have sequels to all the games they just put out a couple years ago but it takes Sony like 5 years just to make a single game.

I would try and stay as open minded as possible next gen, it might be worth it for you to invest in both the Ps5 and XsX.

I agree with your points about being opened minded but this point just does not sound logical to me.

Your saying Sony is being complacent by supporting their customers and continuing to providing games to their customers all the way to the end of a generation is a bad thing?.

Are you saying Microsoft abandoning their customers, mid generation to focus on the next generation is a good thing.?

That's my problem and fear.
Imagine i buy an xbox then in 2024 Microsoft decide to end the generation and focus on the next by drying up all the games.. That can not be right approach, can it?

Moogle11

Banned
Not surprising as shifts only tend to happen when the prior generation market leader fucks up in some big way. In my gaming life time it’s been:

-Nintendo dominated with the NES and SNES, fucked up sticking with carts over CD-Rom for N64 and having high licensing fees for those carts which caused third parties to flee and allowed Sony to thrive with games like Resdient Evil, Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid as PS2 exclusives at the time.

-Sony dominated with the PS1 and, especially, PS2 and then botched the PS3 launch buy forcing in Blu-ray at a time most gamers didn’t yet have HDTVs, thus it launched at $500-600 (and really $600 as the cheaper SKU was very limited, gimped with no BC etc) along with terrible PR statements saying gamers would “work two jobs” to afford it. Meanwhile the 360 crushed it in the US (finished in a dead heat with PS3 worldwide by the end of the generation) and Nintendo caught lighting in a bottle with the Wii.

-MS lost the goodwill they’d built up with 360 with the terrible TV focused reveal and the awful DRM plans. Moving away from some of that was thwarted by still forcing in Kinect and launching at $100 more than PS4 with a less powerful machine. They’ve made huge strides sense with Gamepass but are still way behind in sales with the Switch already jumping it for second place.

I’m not seeing Sony making any mistakes on the scale of those above this time. I don’t pay much attention to specs, but from what I gathered the PS5 is less powerful. But I imagine worst case it will be the same price as the Series X, and may come in cheaper. So I don’t think mainstream consumers are going to care as long as the exclusives (that have sold gangbusters this generation) are still great and plentiful.

Plus, fanboys aside, I think gamers who care about specs will just upgrade their PCs and play MS games there with even better specs. Nothing wrong with that for MS of course. Spencer has said that consoles sold aren’t the ultimate metric anymore.

He/they know that they‘re unlikely to ever ”win” the worldwide hardware sales race and are banking on making more through Gamepass, Xcloud, having their games on PC and Xbox (and some on Switch). Smart move that will please shareholders even as fanboys whine about the lack of exclusives on their precious plastic treasure.

sn0man

Secondly, some people have made it out that the ~18% difference in GPU power is insurmountable and will put PS5 a big disadvantage when it comes to 3rd party multiplats. It seems pushing this false narrative everywhere hasn't really hurt the PS5's appeal.

it’s not a false narrative that there is an 18% Difference in GPU. Also unless the specs change that can’t change cause physics. Whether that will matter to a person that hooks this up to their 4K tv remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox launch consoles don't age well and sony consoles dont offer that much more later, sometimes even less. I usually went PS first because the launch console was usually futureproof then Xbox because later iterations were actually an improvement.

True. Xbox will definitely have a revision/slim model at some point but im not expecting a mid-gen/upgrade console. I'm expecting Series X to last the entire 6+ year generation.

Bigfroth

I'm not shocked by these numbers, Playstation is a much bigger brand globally. If you go by numbers Xbox is not in the same league as PlayStation and never has been. The 360 was MS's biggest push and that got them on bottom of the list of most sold consoles. I don't get why gamers are so concerned with sales and winning and losing. I drive a Ram truck, I don't get butthurt every time I drive my truck cause F-150 and Silverado sell more,

Gamezone

Gold Member
Microsoft really hurt themself by ruining the Xbox One launch. Of course people want to stick with their current ecosystem.

splattered

I agree with your points about being opened minded but this point just does not sound logical to me.

Your saying Sony is being complacent by supporting their customers and continuing to providing games to their customers all the way to the end of a generation is a bad thing?.

Are you saying Microsoft abandoning their customers, mid generation to focus on the next generation is a good thing.?

That's my problem and fear.
Imagine i buy an xbox then in 2024 Microsoft decide to end the generation and focus on the next by drying up all the games.. That can not be right approach, can it?

I'm not saying Sony putting games out right now is a bad thing at all, I'm just saying there may be a few surprises come launch but we've most likely already seen most of what they have to offer this year and possibly even next year to boot. The only big new launch or post launch titles for ps5 I am expecting to surprise us is Gow2 maybe HZD2.

I'm thinking Sony planned to release ps5 in 2019 as has been previously discussed here... games that are coming out now they figured they could release on both Ps4 and ps5 maybe even charge for both versions if they could get away with it.

So they just went ahead and announced most of their new games several years back expecting them to release this year at the latest, originally planning the ps5 console to be sold by now and in people's homes already which obviously didnt happen.

Microsoft has been planning for XsX since 2016 to release Holiday 2020, they have directly stated so multiple times publicly.

Knowing the console target and release date window they got to work on new XsX games with 12tf power target as early as 2016, buying new studios to help flesh out their portfolio along the way.

To be fair to Microsoft, it's no secret that they badly needed a refocus/realignment leading into this next generation which takes time and resources. Microsoft gave the Xbox department what it needed with full support from the top down so we should be seeing 4 years of planning come to fruition this year and next.

Both Sony and MS are probably already working on their mid-gen refresh systems due in 4 or 5 years. Dont fool yourself in thinking only MS is doing this.

I have a feeling MS is going to have a lot more to show in the new games department than Sony will leading up to launch. Sony's development cycles are just too long and most of their studios have recently put out new games or will be releasing already announced titles by the end of this year.

This is an entirely new generation with both companies starting fresh except Sony is still trying to maximize ps4 sales while MS is strategically working on maximizing the impact of the XsX to try and win gamers over as early as possible.

Sony doesnt feel like it really knows what it wants to be or do at the moment which is just weird.

Time will tell. :)

Except, no it doesn't. XBO's worst mistake, DRM, was erased before it even launched. It's 2nd mistake, price, was erased less than a year from launch. Sony had to deal with PS3's mistakes for nearly half the gen.

The truth remains, Xbox has yet to win a gen. It barely made it to 2nd place in its first go around, only beating the GC by 2M units, and was utterly destroyed by the PS2. For the 360, Xbox at its best lost to PS at its worst, and came in last that gen. How do you really think next gen is going to play out?

DRM wasn't erased before launch. It took years for the stink of that policy to go away and loads of people during that time still believed Xbone couldn't play used games and required Internet to work. Price wasn't fixed either because even when they removed Kinect and dropped the price to $399, that was just matching the PS4. So you were still being asked to pay the same price for hardware that you were constantly reminded was inferior. By the time MS rebounded the Xbox, this gen was over. The reveal and abysmal policies at launch killed them. You can't turn momentum like that off just by matching price when the PS4 is already the cool console kids want to own.

sircaw

Banned
I'm not saying Sony putting games out right now is a bad thing at all, I'm just saying there may be a few surprises come launch but we've most likely already seen most of what they have to offer this year and possibly even next year to boot. The only big new launch or post launch titles for ps5 I am expecting to surprise us is Gow2 maybe HZD2.

I'm thinking Sony planned to release ps5 in 2019 as has been previously discussed here... games that are coming out now they figured they could release on both Ps4 and ps5 maybe even charge for both versions if they could get away with it.

So they just went ahead and announced most of their new games several years back expecting them to release this year at the latest, originally planning the ps5 console to be sold by now and in people's homes already which obviously didnt happen.

Microsoft has been planning for XsX since 2016 to release Holiday 2020, they have directly stated so multiple times publicly.

Knowing the console target and release date window they got to work on new XsX games with 12tf power target as early as 2016, buying new studios to help flesh out their portfolio along the way.

To be fair to Microsoft, it's no secret that they badly needed a refocus/realignment leading into this next generation which takes time and resources. Microsoft gave the Xbox department what it needed with full support from the top down so we should be seeing 4 years of planning come to fruition this year and next.

Both Sony and MS are probably already working on their mid-gen refresh systems due in 4 or 5 years. Dont fool yourself in thinking only MS is doing this.

I have a feeling MS is going to have a lot more to show in the new games department than Sony will leading up to launch. Sony's development cycles are just too long and most of their studios have recently put out new games or will be releasing already announced titles by the end of this year.

This is an entirely new generation with both companies starting fresh except Sony is still trying to maximize ps4 sales while MS is strategically working on maximizing the impact of the XsX to try and win gamers over as early as possible.

Sony doesnt feel like it really knows what it wants to be or do at the moment which is just weird.

Time will tell. :)

Yep i can see your points.

In regards to

Yep, i am in kinda in two minds for this, my impatient side wants more information and i want it now. My logical, pain in the arse/spoil my fun side understands that we are still 6 months away from launch and perhaps with the terrible pandemic around the world its not the best time for a big show reveal.

I do favor Sony as a console company but i would like Microsoft to up their game this generation, better competition is good for us the consumer.

Yep so time will tell, lots to look forward to.

splattered

Microsoft really hurt themself by ruining the Xbox One launch. Of course people want to stick with their current ecosystem.

People can play COD, Fifa, and even soon MLB anywhere.

What is really keeping someone in the Sony ecosystem? A small handful of single player games they've played through once and probably already traded in towards COD or Fifa?

People these days are annoyingly fickle, dont be sure sure people wont bring in a console with their small library and trade towards something different.

It's kind of what people do.

People can play COD, Fifa, and even soon MLB anywhere.

What is really keeping someone in the Sony ecosystem? A small handful of single player games they've played through once and probably already traded in towards COD or Fifa?

People these days are annoyingly fickle, dont be sure sure people wont bring in a console with their small library and trade towards something different.

It's kind of what people do.

PlayStation players are also playing all those games, even next gen I'm guessing there won't be much difference between pc/xbx/ps5 they are no reason to switch ecosystems , friends are a far bigger factor when changing ecosystems

Fnord

My digital library says I am getting a PS5 for sure. But I want to see both console's UX before deciding where I will be doing most of my gaming.

I don't think a lot of people are giving enough weight to the existing library issue. With the PS4 outselling the XBO by the vast margin it has, there are a ton of people out there with a significant investment in PS4 software. Being able to carry (most - probably the vast majority) of those titles over to the PS5 will be a huge factor. Especially at the outset.

Top Bottom