• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5pb - 'XBLA rejected Ketsui and Dodonpachi'

Rlan

Uh Oh!

In a recent issue of Japan's Famitsu Xbox magazine was an interview with Masaki Sakari of 5pb - who are currently porting over two very popular Cave top down shooters Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label X and Ketsui X to the Xbox 360 as a retail product. In the interview Sakari has a short vent about why they went for a retail product:

"Out initial plan was to port lots of good arcade titles to XBLA. We talked to IP holders of these titles, and persuaded them. We secured these licenses, and finally talked with Microsoft. There they rejected all of our proposals saying, 'We are going to cut down faithful arcade ports.' We felt so frustrated. We wanted to show them that their decision was wrong. So we switched our two most promising projects into retail."

http://www.xblah.net/2008/03/5pb.html

:\

GavinGT

Banned
Fuck. Why don't they just divide Arcade into two sections and make the whole thing a non-issue? Plenty of people still would like to purchase arcade ports of good titles.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is only bad news if we in the West never see the games. I would rather have them persevered then cut-down for the XBLA.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BenjaminBirdie said:
So doesn't this mean they're turning them into more robust retail products anyways?

Yes, I don't get what the big deal is, oh now I have to buy a disc instead of downloading the title, oh woe is me.

LegatoB

BenjaminBirdie said:
So doesn't this mean they're turning them into more robust retail products anyways?
Except nobody in Japan owns a 360, and just about all Japanese releases of Xbox 360 titles are region-locked. Also they're probably each going to cost a lot more than 800 pts a piece as a retail product.

Edit: Also, have you seen some of the crap they do approve for XBLA? And they're blocking arcade-perfect ports of games that are actually good, if niche? Come the fuck on, guys!

God's Beard said:
WHAT THE FUCKING HELL MICROSOFT FUCK YOU UP YOUR FUCKING ASSES

That's it. If I need to raise hell in Redmond, even though I'm in Indianapolis, I will do so. This is fucking unbelievable. "Oh, we don't like arcade reduxes"? WHAT THE FUCK WAS TURTLES 1989? YOU FUCKERS. GIVE ME DODONPACHI HD XBLA. NOW.

lupin23rd

Wow those sound like Draconian Sony tactics.

They should have just said fuck you guys then, we'll put them on PSN. I wish :(

ethelred

Shard said:
Yes, I don't get what the big deal is, oh now I have to buy a disc instead of downloading the title, oh woe is me.

They said they wanted to throw lots of arcade titles up. When that failed, they said they converted two of those projects to retail. So the big deal is, for now at least, they've gone from "lots" to "two" and there's at least a chance some (many?) others won't materialize.

Mamesj

Banned
Shard said:

everyone who doesn't own a japanese 360 won't get to play these.

and the excuse is total bullshit. We got two years worth of retro, one playthrough for nostalgia trash like TMNT and Tapper, but now good arcade games are getting rejected.

It's like there's a conspiracy preventing Cave shooters from releasing in the U.S.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ethelred said:
They said they wanted to throw lots of arcade titles up. When that failed, they said they converted two of those projects to retail. So the big deal is, for now at least, they've gone from "lots" to "two" and there's at least a chance some (many?) others won't materialize.

That is a fair point. Anyway, here we go again with the angst and the froth.

Pachael

lupin23rd said:
Wow those sound like Draconian Sony tactics.

They should have just said fuck you guys then, we'll put them on PSN. I wish :(

Or WiiWare. There, now all three downloadable platforms have been mentioned. Now what?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So, do I buy the retail game to support Cave, or do I not buy it to show that Microsoft was wrong in denying it?

Decisions decisions.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
_leech_ said:
WHAT?! REJECTED DODONPACHI?!!! Holy fuck, of all the arcade games to take a pass on.

Nevermind the arcade port of Ikaruga or straight ports of shitty Genesis games.

sp0rsk said:
So, do I buy the retail game to support Cave, or do I not buy it to show that Microsoft was wrong in denying it?

Decisions decisions.

you buy the game because it will be awesome and not worry about the rest.

and if this game is region locked, I will be angry.

Pachael said:
Or WiiWare. There, now all three downloadable platforms have been mentioned. Now what?

does Wiiware have size limits?

What an absolutely fantastic fuckup.

miyamotofreak said:
So make it for PSN then. There's no content on PSN anyway to compete with.:D

Interestingly enough it seems 5pb didn't even bother with PSN and just went straight to doing a 360 retail release.

Jonnyram

That is possibly the most retarded thing I've heard of.
Why would they want to hold back arcade ports? Why even call it Arcade if that's the case!? Fucking MS.

Crisis

Banned
These games aren't going to do well at retail in Japan because nobody there has a 360. This game isn't going to well at retail in the USA/Europe because they're top-down shooters. It really does beg the question of why they're still dealing with the 360 over PSN and Wiiware.

God's Beard said:
God's Beard said:
God's Beard said:
God's Beard said:
God's Beard said:
God's Beard said:
Aaaaaaaand I'm spent.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I understand the business logic behind this decision. We'd better get a US port of this game though, or there will be hell to pay. MS should be nice and publish it themselves.

LakeEarth

The sad thing is that they're probably cutting down arcade ports because we complained. A few games get rejected because they're cutting back and we complain again :lol

But honestly, how can they not see we aren't complaining about retro titles, we're complaining about retro titles that SUCK.

Haeleos

This news coupled with the fact there are some weeks that go by that Microsoft doesn't have a new game for XBLA is utterly FUBAR.

I WILL be buying this if it comes to North America.
I will NOT be buying Brain Challenge or Wits and Wagers.

You can only vote with your dollars since the people in charge of XBLA don't seem to have any conception as to what people using the service are looking for.

MightyHedgehog said:
Japanese support of any kind should not be ignored especially in the light of how awful the platform fares there.

To be fair having a crapload of 2D shooters isn't going to help the 360 much...if at all.

What can be said? It's a niche genre, might as well leave it on a niche system, the hardcore fans will buy it all the same.

Hopefully somebody with deep pockets and a head with no brain in it decides to start publishing all of these games in the US but it's not looking very likely at all. I mean hell Shiki 3 is seeing a US Wii release but a 360 version is nowhere to be seen....not a good sign.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
fuck microsoft -- their xbla 'quality assurance' is getting as bad as scea's bullshit. this is exactly why we don't want suits at console manufacturers making qualitative judgments as to what should and shouldn't be released. nintendo seems to have adopted a laissez faire approach, but they've got worthless hardware that nobody wants to work on, so the only concrete results are shovelware

meanwhile i'm stuck buying a japanese 360...UNLESS 5pb can somehow release these games without region coding

This is maddening. Though I guess buying a Japanese 360 specifically to play Ketsui beats having to pay $800+ for the arcade PCB, which is currently the only other way to play it.

Enk

makes good threads.
So does this also mean Samurai Shodown 2 has been canceled as well? This news actually does irk me a bit as I was really looking forward to a Dodopachi XBLA release.

Narag

Enk said:
So does this also mean Samurai Shodown 2 has been canceled as well? This news actually does irk me a bit as I was really looking forward to a Dodopachi XBLA release.
No Samsho2 would really piss me off =\

i've never played a donpachi game but i have played Ikaruga on dreamcast. Why would M$ want japanese centric arcade games with dated garphics in a an extremely niche market that only appeared in japan and never heard of in the us on xbox live? Unless it was for the japanese market and only for the japanese market.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
To be fair having a crapload of 2D shooters isn't going to help the 360 much...if at all.

What can be said? It's a niche genre, might as well leave it on a niche system, the hardcore fans will buy it all the same.
The Saturn and Dreamcast found minor but still appreciable worth to a number of folks there (and abroad) after their overall importance was sealed relative to the competition. Turning the X360 into a platform for hardcore genres can't hurt them there, I think.

Technosteve said:
i've never played a donpachi game

Ignored.

MightyHedgehog said:
The Saturn and Dreamcast found minor but still appreciable worth to a number of folks there (and abroad) after their overall importance was sealed relative to the competition. Turning the X360 into a platform for hardcore genres can't hurt them there, I think.

I can see the 360 joining the Saturn and Dreamcast at the rate Microsoft is going...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Haeleos said:
This news coupled with the fact there are some weeks that go by that Microsoft doesn't have a new game for XBLA is utterly FUBAR.

I WILL be buying this if it comes to North America.
I will NOT be buying Brain Challenge or Wits and Wagers.

You can only vote with your dollars since the people in charge of XBLA don't seem to have any conception as to what people using the service are looking for.

Okay, stop right there, it has been a pretty miserable March both in terms of games released and overall news but here is the thing the XBLA had an incredible run for the previous three months and April is going to be a return to form content wise. Moreover your line of logic here is faulty, what GAF is willing to buy and the public at large is willing to buy are vastly different thing. Brain Challenge while being not to good has been selling quite well for an XBLA title, since it appeals greatly to the casual segment, so obviously for better or worse, Mircosoft does have an idea of what people are looking for. Lastly, we don't even know if Wits and Wagers is going to be terrible or not, too soon to judge that game.

GhaleonEB

That literally makes no sense. These games would be perfect on XBLA. A lot better than some of the crappy shooters to land there as of late.

Microsoft has been flat-out mystifying lately.

Top Bottom