• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60 percent of Americans approve of Trump’s handling of coronavirus

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

President Trump's approval numbers are as high as they've ever been throughout his presidency as he deals with the coronavirus outbreak, according to the latest Gallup poll.

The poll shows 60 percent of Americans approve of the president's handling of his actions to combat the virus. That includes 94 percent of Republicans and 60 percent of Independents, while just 27 percent of Democrats approve of the president's handling of the outbreak.
Meanwhile, his overall job approval is at 49 percent, which is tied for the highest he has ever been when polled by Gallup. Trump jumped 5 points in the tracking poll from earlier this month.

Gallup is the latest poll to favor the president amid the coronavirus outbreak. ABC News and CBS News had him at 53 percent job approval over his handling of the crisis, while Monmouth University had him at 50 percent.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
It's hard to see the rest of the world in shambles and blame it on Trump, as much as the media would like to. No one except the diehards thinks it is the "Trump virus", and no one with sense looks at the rest of the West struggling to contain it and thinks Trump is doing a bad job.

And I'm sure the Democrats blocking relief efforts is only going to raise his approval with independents. They are are reactionary and want things done, and Trump has acted as swiftly as the Nordic countries in talking about relief and putting forward a reasonable plan.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Could you imagine in the 1940's.

FDR

"We will beat the Nazi's and Axis powers, we will win the war before the end of the year"

Media and REEEtards

"oh my god the president is giving false hope, we can never win the war. Whats the point were just going to die can't they just send us checks until the Germans get tired of fighting."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Trump could find a cure for cancer and then pay for it out of his own pocket to get treatment to every american, and some of the hardliners will still find a way to twist it as he is a monster.
Trump invented cancer with the help of Russia through the Chernobyl meltdown. That’s why he held on to the cure until now!

Headlines, probably.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Actually its very possible Trump will find a cure for COVID. Well not him but maybe under his team/administration.

Gonna be fun seeing them cry when that happens. Oh my god Trump cured Corona to stop UBI what a dictator. Wheres my 1500 Trump buxxxs I can't go out in the woooooooorld.

Reactions: Oner and oatmeal

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
People rally behind leadership in times of crisis. It's far too soon to say how people will see it in retrospect. See also: Iraq war.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Arkam

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
This is good. I saw a clip of him on Hannity asking why New York and other cities needed 40,000 ventilators... It just seemed callous but I'm glad he finally enacted this act!

Edit: and the fact that GM balked at volunteering shows that they don't care to help the country which would have raised their public capital in the eyes of the people.

You've got no name every day Americans looking like Titans because they are using their own money or ingenuity to help others during this time. Even when they themselves don't have all that much.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
This is good. I saw a clip of him on Hannity asking why New York and other cities needed 40,000 ventilators... It just seemed callous but I'm glad he finally enacted this act!

Edit: and the fact that GM balked at volunteering shows that they don't care to help the country which would have raised their public capital in the eyes of the people.

You've got no name every day Americans looking like Titans because they are using their own money or ingenuity to help others during this time. Even when they themselves don't have all that much.
Especially a company that was bailed out by the American people once before not too long ago.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Especially a company that was bailed out by the American people once before not too long ago.
This is going to be disastrous for GM. I would figure that a big portion of Trump voters, and certainly die hards are Truck owner types. Ford announced they were aggressively taking the lead on masks a few days ago with 3M and GM is stalling.

This could really, really hurt GM's truck sales. Especially with Trump personally taking on the CEO.

Bad look GM.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Trump said they would have 100K ventilators in 100 days.

I am not going to make light of anyones situation because it is dire times, but me thinks maybe a few states are being toilet paper hoarders with the ventilators. Clearly no one wants to be caught short, so ya it makes sense to say you need 20K when you only really need 10K.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I am not going to make light of anyones situation because it is dire times, but me thinks maybe a few states are being toilet paper hoarders with the ventilators. Clearly no one wants to be caught short, so ya it makes sense to say you need 20K when you only really need 10K.
That isn't it at all. You have to consider how modern medicine works nowadays. Every hospital doesn't have a lot of everything. They have just enough to address normal demands and if you have some sort of calamity of larger than normal scale but smaller than oh, say, a pandemic, you move the people, not the equipment.

Moving your patient to a larger, more central hospital is business as usual until they're typhoid mary. On top of that the load is potentially too large to spread even if you had enough widgets spread across the hospitals.

Lastly, if you get to the stage where you need to be on a ventilator for Covid-19, it isn't a week. It isn't two weeks, it is closer to a month you'll be on that ventilator.

As far as retooling an auto factory to make ventilators instead of what it used to make I imagine that has to be a huge investment, an investment that needs to make logical sense, not just dollars and cents. Can you retool a factory, retrain the workers, and switch over to producing ventilators quick enough to make a difference? I seriously doubt it.

I do think it belies the mainstream media's opinion that Trump is asleep at the wheel on this. Be optimistic in the press conferences, but prepare for a long haul---which is exactly what getting an auto maker to switch over to ventilators is doing, preparing for a much longer battle.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
Trump said they would have 100K ventilators in 100 days.

At the same time, though, it's not just NYC needing them. It's every state in the Union. If the death toll keeps going up, no telling how devastating this will be on the healthcare system!

Reactions: cryptoadam

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
That isn't it at all. You have to consider how modern medicine works nowadays. Every hospital doesn't have a lot of everything. They have just enough to address normal demands and if you have some sort of calamity of larger than normal scale but smaller than oh, say, a pandemic, you move the people, not the equipment.

Moving your patient to a larger, more central hospital is business as usual until they're typhoid mary. On top of that the load is potentially too large to spread even if you had enough widgets spread across the hospitals.

Lastly, if you get to the stage where you need to be on a ventilator for Covid-19, it isn't a week. It isn't two weeks, it is closer to a month you'll be on that ventilator.

As far as retooling an auto factory to make ventilators instead of what it used to make I imagine that has to be a huge investment, an investment that needs to make logical sense, not just dollars and cents. Can you retool a factory, retrain the workers, and switch over to producing ventilators quick enough to make a difference? I seriously doubt it.

I do think it belies the mainstream media's opinion that Trump is asleep at the wheel on this. Be optimistic in the press conferences, but prepare for a long haul---which is exactly what getting an auto maker to switch over to ventilators is doing, preparing for a much longer battle.
And the makers of the ventilators, assuming they're in the US, should be INCENTIVIZED to ramp up production!

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
And the makers of the ventilators, assuming they're in the US, should be INCENTIVIZED to ramp up production!
Trump is in a bit of a catch-22 on that one. On the one hand he wants to bring manufacturing back to the United States, on the other hand he's willing to order whatever company he feels like to do whatever he feels like in a time of crisis.

That is some mixed messaging. Leading with the stick instead of the carrot.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019

This is true. But the automakers are unique. They have numerous production lines that are highly modular and flexible to whatever their needs. Having seen one in action in during a Tesla tour in Fremont CA showed me that those robotic arms could build anything they have software for. American auto factories are state of the art because they're constantly being upgraded.

I can't speak to the costs though. Hospital grade ventilators can cost $25K to $50K. Homecare grade as low as $5000 but not appropriate for critical care.

At those prices the automakers will want to make sure whatever that build is going to be purchased before they ramp up production to where the nation needs.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
I watched ~30 minutes of the QA session last night. I must say, he was finally responding well. Not stating asinine hopes and dreams as fact.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I think Trumps putting his eggs in the science basket. Will see if this pays off.

Hes hoping IMO that antibody testing and cheaper quicker antiviral testing will be available in 2 o 3 weeks.

Both the WHO and the EU have started large scale clinical trials. There are many other places that have also been doing clinical trials. Hes hoping that one of the various drugs will come through.

So if there can be a drug that helps 50 to 90 % + and test of asymptomatic people along with point of contact or even home testing in the next 3 to 4 weeks things can turn around very quickly.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
I watched ~30 minutes of the QA session last night. I must say, he was finally responding well. Not stating asinine hopes and dreams as fact.

He continues to be off on the necessity of ventilators though. I hope he really doesn't think he's really going to have a single one of those to spare. When I look at poor Texas and Louisiana right now and they're still about a week and half days behind NY too. They're about to be overwhelmed.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
He just used King/dictator powers to force cimpanies to make ventelators but he doesnt care lol. The thing that TDS heads were screaming about for 4 years Trump will become King. I guess he didnt do it fast enough should of started using King powers 2 years ago ?

Trump isnt going to ship 40k ventilators to NY and then they only need 20K. Meanwhile Cali needs 5K but now those are in NY and they arent giving them back. Lets overstock one place and create a shortage in another that makes sense.

The big problem is that everything people harp about Trump gets on it. Testing ? Ok ramp it up cut regulations and a few werks later the US has tested more people than any other country. Masks and ventilators ? Ok force companies to make them at the Price he wants. Beds ? Ok FEMA is building field hospitals and he is sending navy ships. But TDS heads hate it. Trump keeps responding to the needs it would be better if he threw his hands up and did nothing. I mean he even backed off the chinese virus stuff so the media cant call him racist everyday.

They are trying to cling onto something anything right now. Lucky they have easter to keep attacking the president on.

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
He just used King/dictator powers to force cimpanies to make ventelators but he doesnt care lol. The thing that TDS heads were screaming about for 4 years Trump will become King. I guess he didnt do it fast enough should of started using King powers 2 years ago ?

Trump isnt going to ship 40k ventilators to NY and then they only need 20K. Meanwhile Cali needs 5K but now those are in NY and they arent giving them back. Lets overstock one place and create a shortage in another that makes sense.

The big problem is that everything people harp about Trump gets on it. Testing ? Ok ramp it up cut regulations and a few werks later the US has tested more people than any other country. Masks and ventilators ? Ok force companies to make them at the Price he wants. Beds ? Ok FEMA is building field hospitals and he is sending navy ships. But TDS heads hate it. Trump keeps responding to the needs it would be better if he threw his hands up and did nothing. I mean he even backed off the chinese virus stuff so the media cant call him racist everyday.

They are trying to cling onto something anything right now. Lucky they have easter to keep attacking the president on.
The American people are finally starting to wake up to the reality of the media, Trump's approval rating is skyrocketing higher than it has ever been.

I honestly can't think of anybody else I'd rather have at the helm right now. Nobody since Reagan has ever been able to speak directly to the American people like Trump can, and Reagan was the Hitler of his day to the media back then as well.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The American people are finally starting to wake up to the reality of the media, Trump's approval rating is skyrocketing higher than it has ever been.

I honestly can't think of anybody else I'd rather have at the helm right now. Nobody since Reagan has ever been able to speak directly to the American people like Trump can, and Reagan was the Hitler of his day to the media back then as well.
Its funny seeing the same people that cried about Trump being above the law, becoming king, abusing his power etc, now begging for him to do so and actually complaining that he didn't do it earlier.

Imagine if during the impeachment trial (which took place Jan 16th to Feb 5th, smack dab in the middle of the outbreak in Wuhan) Trump said he was going to force companies to make medical supplies, and is going to ban groups of 10 + as well as lockdown the entire New York/New Jersey area. Oh boy I can only imagine Pelosi, Nader or Schiffs reactions.

nani17

May 3, 2018
I love how polls said he won't win and he did but when the poll is pro trump we agree the poll is an accurate poll just saying,. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Both sides do this when it's about their side

Last edited:
Reactions: DeafTourette
Jun 26, 2013
I love how polls said he won't win and he did but when the poll is pro trump we agree the poll is an accurate poll just saying,. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Both sides do this when it's about their side
90% negative media coverage is a substantial outlier for any president. Trump is achieving the same ratings as Obama at the same point in their 1st terms in spite of receiving considerably more negative coverage from the media.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
poor GM why is Trump so mean? it's not like this is a life threatening global pandemic and the president is trying to get medical equipment to his citizens as soon as possible. OH WAIT IT IS THAT MAYBE STFU AND DO YOUR JOB SAVING MILLIONS OF LIVES WITHOUT WHINING ABOUT IT?

like lol for all the bullshit people talk about Trump's ego, now we have to worry about GM? "oh sorry mr gm ceo, we will be nicer from now on! do you think we can have the ventilators pretty pleeeease?"

lol we bailed out GM with our tax money a decade ago. it should be a taxpayer owned company at this point.

please, i don't care if you think Trump is obnoxious. you guys need to do your fucking job.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: Teletraan1

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
If it is true, it's kinda fucked up. I'd like to hear some kind of response to the claims in there, but without having one already and only going off of what was written, it sounds kinda shitty.
Sounds like something a PR weasel fed to the press, honestly.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
If it is true, it's kinda fucked up. I'd like to hear some kind of response to the claims in there, but without having one already and only going off of what was written, it sounds kinda shitty.
This should be a pretty easy thing to prove. There is always a paper trail.

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
So in the middle of the crisis the US government is already undermining local companies because the price is too high. And people here think they're going to become production-independent from China lmao. This is exactly why China will keep producing stuff and other countries buying from them.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
So in the middle of the crisis the US government is already undermining local companies because the price is too high. And people here think they're going to become production-independent from China lmao. This is exactly why China will keep producing stuff and other countries buying from them.
Like it or not this is true.